This thread currently has 26,464 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Impish2
June 18, 2018, 4:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from mariner91
Isn't it strange that we get Lincoln fans coming on here nowadays? Didn't venture over here before January 2017 and certainly weren't interested in our season ticket sales when they were pulling in around 2000 home fans a game.

Been a ST holder at SB for about the last 15 years so I think I have seen my fair share of dross. Six seasons not finishing above halfway in the NL, I don't think many clubs in our position would get much better gates than 2000 home fans tbh.

As I said before I was on the Fishy in the time we were relegated to that division. I haven't just sprang up becaus we have had a modicum of success for once, I was here when the excrement was really hitting the fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 93
ska face
June 18, 2018, 5:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Do you want a medal?
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 93
Bigdog
June 18, 2018, 5:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The Lincoln fans on this thread make some good points. When they're talking about the positives down the A46 it's grown into much much more than "getting behind Cowley." When Cowley leaves eventually, they'll be insulated to a certain degree. whereas what have we got over here other than Project Jolley? Absolutely nothing. We need so much more going on in the background. Let's not forget that our board have totally run out of ideas for the medium and long term and this needs addressing. Riding along short term on the Jolley bandwagon is nowhere near good enough as the custodians of GTFC. The board need to be looking to build something much more sustainable and if they don't know how to do it, they need to look at bringing bodies in who can offer much more than they do. Long term planning cannot be put on hold because we may have got a decent manager and a bit of hope. Jolley isn't going to be here forever. When he leaves.. then what?

I can see LCFC and GTFC being very different clubs in stature in ten years time and sadly we'll be the ones looking enviously down the A46..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 93
Limerick Mariner
June 18, 2018, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,694
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Bigdog
The Lincoln fans on this thread make some good points. When they're talking about the positives down the A46 it's grown into much much more than "getting behind Cowley." When Cowley leaves eventually, they'll be insulated to a certain degree. whereas what have we got over here other than Project Jolley? Absolutely nothing. We need so much more going on in the background. Let's not forget that our board have totally run out of ideas for the medium and long term and this needs addressing. Riding along short term on the Jolley bandwagon is nowhere near good enough as the custodians of GTFC. The board need to be looking to build something much more sustainable and if they don't know how to do it, they need to look at bringing bodies in who can offer much more than they do. Long term planning cannot be put on hold because we may have got a decent manager and a bit of hope. Jolley isn't going to be here forever. When he leaves.. then what?

I can see LCFC and GTFC being very different clubs in stature in ten years time and sadly we'll be the ones looking enviously down the A46..

Agreed - Lincoln could be like Norwich are in Norfolk or Ipswich in Suffolk ie a fanbase not just in the urban area of the club but in the whole county, and we would just have a fanbase in the urban area of Gy and Clee with its ageing shrinking population. Unless we get a new stadium and the PR department of GTFC gets out and promotes the club from Barton to Rasen to Mablethorpe that is, then we might compete...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 93
rancido
June 18, 2018, 5:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

I think you're right and DC has already started addressing this I think with our two recruits so far.- Both are footballers. I think fans are split on Rhead - I personally think he was what we needed in the NL, and he was good for us. But some of his antics and his behaviour on the pitch is not what I want to see. I think DC has found it hard to recruit the striker he would like and I think this frustrates him (We have missed out on quite a few)

Most of our budget will go on forwards this summer - Green is fine , but we need someone with him. This won't in my opinion be Rhead.
However, If I were a NL manager I would be on the blower trying to get Rhead in my team.

If I was a WWF agent I would be trying to get Rhead to change sports!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 93
KingstonMariner
June 18, 2018, 9:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

One of my fairly early games in the Boys Paddock was August 1958 and we beat Lincoln 4-2. Strange fixture reversal, the return game was only a week or so later and was 4-4 at Lincoln, Rafferty scored all 4 which is why it is etched on the memory.   Then we played them in the promotion season of 1961/2 and won 4-1 at home Cliff Portwood hat trick and the only penalty I can remember Scott missing, and drew away I think.

But there was no aggro then, in fact even though we were so close there were very few away supporters.

Pretty much business as usual then. Bar last season.  

Lincoln fans through history:
2017-....: Off to Grimsby? Yeah, we're gonna smash the Cods.
2011-2016: Going to Grimsby? Nah, too much dogshit.
1906-1976: Going to Grimsby? Nah, smells of fish?
1846-1906: Going to Grimsby? Nah, gaffer won't let me have the day off.
1066-1846: Going to Grimsby? Nah, waiting for the railways to arrive.
786-1066: Going to Grimsby? Nah, too many Vikings.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 93
fleabag1970
June 18, 2018, 9:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Scunny in for bogle . Told today  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 93
RonMariner
June 18, 2018, 10:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226

One of my fairly early games in the Boys Paddock was August 1958 and we beat Lincoln 4-2. Strange fixture reversal, the return game was only a week or so later and was 4-4 at Lincoln, Rafferty scored all 4 which is why it is etched on the memory.   Then we played them in the promotion season of 1961/2 and won 4-1 at home Cliff Portwood hat trick and the only penalty I can remember Scott missing, and drew away I think.

But there was no aggro then, in fact even though we were so close there were very few away supporters.

That was the day I was born. My Dad was gutted that he missed the game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 93
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 18, 2018, 11:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
What date ron, my mrs was born that month

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 93
June 19, 2018, 10:16am
Guest User

I remember these days well.  I was 12 years old and used to go with my Dad as we live In Barton upon Humber.  I remember Jimmy Fell on the left wing, Johnny Scott on the right wing, and of course the great Ron Rafferty up front.  For some reason, my Dad hated Mike Cullen, and gave him stick the whole match!  Happy days home and away with my Dad, who sadly was killed in a works accident  when I was 18.

Reply: 89 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.