10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
June 18, 2018, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

hopefully in League 1, because at the moment despite your constant belief in Jolley, Season ticket sales your end don't sound like the fans are quite with him yet.

Thats because we have pretty much had a generation of failure and relegation, aside from escaping non league, which believe me, non one over 30 considers that anything other than embarrassing for being there in the first place.

Add to the on field dross we have had to put up with we have also seen a huge decline off field with the boards attitude towards the average fan.

You guys have jumped very quickly on the success you have had and reaped it to the max, fair play on that , we however were told we were spoilt, told our money raising efforts were the worst thing to have happened and prices raised as we were back in the league ( despite our 100k gift to help with the promotion effort) etc etc.

3000 is around the figure we will shift eventually i would think, myself i will probably renew only because the on the day prices are set to go up and that is about as innovative as our marketing dept gets.....sell them they will come....no great initiatives, nothing to tempt new blood in, little to retain/ reward existing ST holders.

I imagine at your place there is a mix of returning supporters who had maybe drifted away for a couple of seasons and a whole new wave of people coming, including the young...who with a couple of exciting/successful seasons will become your future.... on the back of our promotion to the football league,  by the time we had announced ST prices will rise and put them on sale we had already announced the release of 3/4 of the squad including most of the fans favourites.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 93
mariner91
June 18, 2018, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,633
Gold Stars: 261
Isn't it strange that we get Lincoln fans coming on here nowadays? Didn't venture over here before January 2017 and certainly weren't interested in our season ticket sales when they were pulling in around 2000 home fans a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 93
nealeardleyscrossing
June 18, 2018, 1:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from mariner91
Isn't it strange that we get Lincoln fans coming on here nowadays? Didn't venture over here before January 2017 and certainly weren't interested in our season ticket sales when they were pulling in around 2000 home fans a game.

Do you not see the irony in your post, There has been numerous, and I mean a lot of threads on here about Lincoln. I quite like a few posters on here as they talk sense, but mentioning 2k fans is exactly the same as mentioning we now have 6k season ticket holders, and literally don't have enough seats. On a few of the message boards I look at there is plenty of gloating from Grimsby about their history and a bright new dawn under a fella who has managed 10 games.

It sounds like he is a breath of fresh for you and he seems to be doing things the right way, but if your fans don't buy in, he won't have the budget to work with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 93
nealeardleyscrossing
June 18, 2018, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

Thats because we have pretty much had a generation of failure and relegation, aside from escaping non league, which believe me, non one over 30 considers that anything other than embarrassing for being there in the first place.

Add to the on field dross we have had to put up with we have also seen a huge decline off field with the boards attitude towards the average fan.

You guys have jumped very quickly on the success you have had and reaped it to the max, fair play on that , we however were told we were spoilt, told our money raising efforts were the worst thing to have happened and prices raised as we were back in the league ( despite our 100k gift to help with the promotion effort) etc etc.

3000 is around the figure we will shift eventually i would think, myself i will probably renew only because the on the day prices are set to go up and that is about as innovative as our marketing dept gets.....sell them they will come....no great initiatives, nothing to tempt new blood in, little to retain/ reward existing ST holders.

I imagine at your place there is a mix of returning supporters who had maybe drifted away for a couple of seasons and a whole new wave of people coming, including the young...who with a couple of exciting/successful seasons will become your future.... on the back of our promotion to the football league,  by the time we had announced ST prices will rise and put them on sale we had already announced the release of 3/4 of the squad including most of the fans favourites.

I won't ague with that - I think a lot have returned, and certainly the family initiatives have been a huge driving force. Plus we have a very forward thinking chairman and chief executive, and they won't allow us to stagnate. We have also used the University very wisely, Lincoln is a different place now and the football club are catching up with it - It is probably the most successful period in our history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 93
LH
June 18, 2018, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from mariner91

“I come on here when I get bored at work”

Online for 97 days in total. Where do you work to get bored enough to spend that long on a rivals forum?
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 93
nealeardleyscrossing
June 18, 2018, 1:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from LH

“I come on here when I get bored at work”

Online for 97 days in total. Where do you work to get bored enough to spend that long on a rivals forum?

Your season ticket office.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 93
livosnose
June 18, 2018, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15

Your season ticket office.

that was good that !

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 93
mariner91
June 18, 2018, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,633
Gold Stars: 261

Do you not see the irony in your post, There has been numerous, and I mean a lot of threads on here about Lincoln. I quite like a few posters on here as they talk sense, but mentioning 2k fans is exactly the same as mentioning we now have 6k season ticket holders, and literally don't have enough seats. On a few of the message boards I look at there is plenty of gloating from Grimsby about their history and a bright new dawn under a fella who has managed 10 games.

It sounds like he is a breath of fresh for you and he seems to be doing things the right way, but if your fans don't buy in, he won't have the budget to work with.

How is it ironic?  My point was that until recently you weren't interested in coming on here, your interest changed somewhat since you've had a successful period which is not entirely coincidental. I've never posted on a Lincoln forum because I'm not sad enough to do that, even at times when we've been far more successful than you e.g the last 50 years. Yes your club is extremely well managed now and kudos for that, I'm sure we're genuinely all very jealous and would love to have your board over ours. But you'd have a lot more credibility on here if you'd been posting throughout your bad years rather than, seemingly, just jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm sure you'll argue that you were one of the 400 who turned up at BP on NYD a few years back but in reality the vast majority of your fans deserted your club when you were shit and have only come back since there has been any success. Even then it took a cup run and a "giant killing" against Oldham before you had a home attendance over 4,000. Barely half the number of season tickets you now have could be arsed to turn up in the home end for the game at Sincil Bank in 2015, the last time we played there in the National League which is pretty pathetic really. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, they're no better than people from Lincoln or Grimsby who support Premier League clubs.

I don't mind genuine Lincoln fans who stuck by the club through thick and thin gloating, that's football and they deserve the success after putting up with so many years of being utterly terrible. But the rest of them and their superior attitude towards us at the minute is completely laughable. Like I said the vast majority wouldn't have even turned up to watch us play each other at SB three seasons ago when we're supposedly "rivals" yet after two good years Lincoln are a huge club compared to us apparently. And let's be honest, if you're paying players £3K a week and only scrape into the play offs and then get spanked in them, is that really that successful? Saint Danny being the greatest the manager that ever lived can surely do better than that? In reality, both clubs are similar in size. Historically we've had quite a bit more success but not because of the size of the club, because we punched above our weight for many years which we are justifiably proud of. Whether we'll punch above our weight again or ever improve the infrastructure enough to take advantage of the potential fanbase we have remains to be seen. Under the current board, I'd say it's doubtful sadly.

And as far as I can see there's been two threads on here about Lincoln in the last week, this one and the one where we literally signed a player from you so that's hardly surprising is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 93
sam gy
June 18, 2018, 2:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55

It is probably the most successful period in our history.

If finishing 7th in the 4th tier is the most sucessful period in your history then i really do take my hat off to you sir.

I think a lot of Lincoln fans just have to remember that we are in the same league as each other. And we finished 11 places apart in the same league. The way some have been carrying on after we've signed Whitehouse is laughable.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 93
nealeardleyscrossing
June 18, 2018, 2:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

How is it ironic?  My point was that until recently you weren't interested in coming on here, your interest changed somewhat since you've had a successful period which is not entirely coincidental. I've never posted on a Lincoln forum because I'm not sad enough to do that, even at times when we've been far more successful than you e.g the last 50 years. Yes your club is extremely well managed now and kudos for that, I'm sure we're genuinely all very jealous and would love to have your board over ours. But you'd have a lot more credibility on here if you'd been posting throughout your bad years rather than, seemingly, just jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm sure you'll argue that you were one of the 400 who turned up at BP on NYD a few years back but in reality the vast majority of your fans deserted your club when you were shit and have only come back since there has been any success. Even then it took a cup run and a "giant killing" against Oldham before you had a home attendance over 4,000. Barely half the number of season tickets you now have could be arsed to turn up in the home end for the game at Sincil Bank in 2015, the last time we played there in the National League which is pretty pathetic really. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, they're no better than people from Lincoln or Grimsby who support Premier League clubs.

I don't mind genuine Lincoln fans who stuck by the club through thick and thin gloating, that's football and they deserve the success after putting up with so many years of being utterly terrible. But the rest of them and their superior attitude towards us at the minute is completely laughable. Like I said the vast majority wouldn't have even turned up to watch us play each other at SB three seasons ago when we're supposedly "rivals" yet after two good years Lincoln are a huge club compared to us apparently. And let's be honest, if you're paying players £3K a week and only scrape into the play offs and then get spanked in them, is that really that successful? Saint Danny being the greatest the manager that ever lived can surely do better than that? In reality, both clubs are similar in size. Historically we've had quite a bit more success but not because of the size of the club, because we punched above our weight for many years which we are justifiably proud of. Whether we'll punch above our weight again or ever improve the infrastructure enough to take advantage of the potential fanbase we have remains to be seen. Under the current board, I'd say it's doubtful sadly.

And as far as I can see there's been two threads on here about Lincoln in the last week, this one and the one where we literally signed a player from you so that's hardly surprising is it?

I don't think I have suggested once that we are a huge club, but you know what we are trying to be. I am not for 1 minute suggesting we will do a Burton Albion, Bournemouth, but I remember playing Bournemouth at their place, and then at Cardiff, so who knows. But having a very good new chairman will help. I would be interested to know, what is the most season tickets you have ever sold in say the last 20 years?

I think we have a small chance of moving forward at least to establishing ourselves as league 1 club, but time will tell. As for paying 3k for players, we had the smallest squad in the FL , that is a  fact. so if we chose quality of quantity so what - Do you get that?  So if you had 30 players at 1k a week and we had 20 payers at 1.5k - That was what we did,, it backfired, as we had injuries, it then meant playing squad players such as Elliot, Long etc which weakened us and we limped in to the Play offs after being 3 and 4th for some time. We deservedly lost to Exeter, who ironically we beat 3 weeks prior, and should have won the 1st leg bar the post and their very good keeper.

I expect us to be a bit stronger this year as I think we have more cash - not from loans, etc but from Season ticket sales.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.