headingly_mariner
March 31, 2018, 10:12am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from petethemariner
Which is probably why Seriki, despite his undoubted talent, will never amount to much, he has a premier league   mentality in league 2,, which will aways find him out,such a shame.
I feel next season will be back in the national league, we just do not look like scoring, cannot fault the effort today, including Hooper, who copped  much undeserved stick, as I thought he  put a shift in, which I admit is rarely the case.
I thought many played well today, the back 5, both full backs in particular and Summerfield, after a slow start, continued to be our best player this season.
This was a game we had to win, Stevenage had nothing to play for and were poor, we didn't take advantage and I feel
FGR last game of the season could be a very sad and ironic day.

Had a good first half providing the only real bits of quality. He’s the only player in the team capable of changing the game. He’s be playing at a higher level than we will throughout the rest of his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 31, 2018, 10:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
As others have said plenty of effort but quality is limited to one or two incidents in each game.

Reflecting over the season I am starting to wonder how fit our players actually are? In most games we are competitive for at least 30 minutes and in home games up until half time. But in the majority of home performances our second half performance is non existent with us regularly failing to create one clear cut chance.

The other outstanding feature is how few goals we score from set pieces (acknowledge we don’t score many full stop) or even look like scoring. To be fair to Clarke and Collins they win a lot of aerial battles in defence but put them up for a set piece and nothing and like others have said our front players are very poor in the air and do not win much in the air.

Finally going back to quality I agree that Summerfield is our best performer in midfield but I do not believe he has scored one goal this season and when is the last time he actually created a chance, Port Vale away? What a shambles Slade left behind and the more glaring this fact becomes the more surprising it is to me that Wilko was allowed to continue in his role.

Think by 5.00pm our fate could be known.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
TownSNAFU5
March 31, 2018, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,878
Gold Stars: 42
I feel more positive after watching the game yesterday that some other posters.

Summerfield make a big difference to the team with his passing, tenacity and closing down.  We created some very good chances and kept a clean sheet, the first in 2018.  The team is getting better.  We just need to take at least one of these chances that we are now creating. The key point is that we created the very good chances in the first place.  Jolley is gradually making small improvements in the team.

Others have criticised Rose.  The team can improve without him and with bringing Jackson back in when he is fit.  A frustrating criticism yesterday was when we were trying to score towards the end of the game.  Mills would get forward into some good positions and then put in a woeful and wasted cross.

Stevenage was not a must-win game.  Chesterfield is. Having key home games against them and Barnet gives us further chances to move clear.  It is us to the team.

Football does not always go to form.  We could get a point at Wycombe and/or Swindon.  Sunderland are as bad as we are in their own division.  They were bottom yesterday until they won 4-1 last night away at play-off Derby. Top teams have their own pressures and can freeze on the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
mariner91
March 31, 2018, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,646
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As others have said plenty of effort but quality is limited to one or two incidents in each game.

Reflecting over the season I am starting to wonder how fit our players actually are? In most games we are competitive for at least 30 minutes and in home games up until half time. But in the majority of home performances our second half performance is non existent with us regularly failing to create one clear cut chance.

The other outstanding feature is how few goals we score from set pieces (acknowledge we don’t score many full stop) or even look like scoring. To be fair to Clarke and Collins they win a lot of aerial battles in defence but put them up for a set piece and nothing and like others have said our front players are very poor in the air and do not win much in the air.

Finally going back to quality I agree that Summerfield is our best performer in midfield but I do not believe he has scored one goal this season and when is the last time he actually created a chance, Port Vale away? What a shambles Slade left behind and the more glaring this fact becomes the more surprising it is to me that Wilko was allowed to continue in his role.

Think by 5.00pm our fate could be known.

Yesterday, he put in a fantastic ball that Mills and Rose somehow couldn't convert between the two of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
headingly_mariner
March 31, 2018, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
The more I think about it, the more I think it was a huge chance missed. Stevenage weren’t really arsed and were absolutely there for the taking.

First half was ok and I think the threat from Wilks pace opened a lot of space. I can’t believe we didn’t have more attacking options on the bench. Slinging Cardwell on when Mcsheffrey and Hooper were knackered could’ve given us a lift. Thought Vernon did a decent job holding the ball up when he came on and if he had a pacy partner he’d be useful.

I’m hoping that we start to see the fruits of what is supposed to be going on behind the scences on the pitch. People keep saying that this is the worst squad we’ve ever had and I don’t think that is true, it’s a shocking run after a decent points haul in the 1st half of the season.

We’ve played two poor teams at home under Jolley and managed 1 half decent 45 minutes. He needs to get a tune out of these players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
Jaws
March 31, 2018, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Best performance from this lot since the turn of the year. Not sure what Jolley says at half-time but it's not working.

Tough game on Monday. Think Chesterfield and Barnet have got winnable games.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
moosey_club
March 31, 2018, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from davmariner
We won’t play many shitter teams in L2 than Stevenage. Missed opportunity.

Well as we can't play ourselves then i guess thats true  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.