7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 5:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
We just can't score a goal, but we kept a clean sheet and are slightly better off than at 3pm.

Tells you all you need to know that our defenders were our better performers with Collins having a good game and Fox not far behind. Hooper played well but fluffed his big chance, but he wasn't alone in that.

They somehow contrived to not put the ball in the net either and neither keeper had too much to do. Two poor sides in attack and a chance missed to gain some ground back.
Logged Online
Private Message
Hagrid
March 30, 2018, 5:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
I hope i dont see rose in a town shirt again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 66
Bentley
March 30, 2018, 5:27pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -997
Better of this should be a home banker. Clutching at straws am afraid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 66
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 5:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Hagrid

Agreed, he was rubbish. Lazy and half ar$ed. Thought him and the ineffective Wilks needed to go off sooner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 66
sonofmadeleymariner
March 30, 2018, 5:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Fox or Summers for MOM today for me, Rose was awful only good thing he did was pass the ball across the box in the 2nd half instead of shooting straight at the Keeper shame Hooper wasn't in the position he should of been.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 66
lukeo
March 30, 2018, 5:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Strange one for me.. We're 1 point further from the relegation zone which is a bonus but Barnet picking up 3 points can instill some positivity into their team, only 5 points behind us now. So half of me is happy for a good clean sheet and a Chesterfield lose but the other is thinking we now need to look over our shoulder for Barnet aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 66
TheGoalKipper
March 30, 2018, 5:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Quoted from lukeo
Strange one for me.. We're 1 point further from the relegation zone which is a bonus but Barnet picking up 3 points can instill some positivity into their team, only 5 points behind us now. So half of me is happy for a good clean sheet and a Chesterfield lose but the other is thinking we now need to look over our shoulder for Barnet aswell.

At least Barnet dont have games in hand.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 66
Rodley Mariner
March 30, 2018, 5:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
I was worried Chesterfield might put a run together after last week but that is a shitty result given Vale haven't won in ages and were down to 10 men for all the second half. Looks more like 2 from 3 than ever to me!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 66
Grimbiggs
March 30, 2018, 5:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Certainly a chance missed against a poor Stevenage side, but once again the few opportunities created were squandered with very poor finishing.  Best first half performance we've seen in a while at home, but once again we faded second half. How Rose and Hooper get a game I will never know, whilst apart from a couple of decent crosse's McSheffrey didn't provide much. Decent defensive performance and I was impressed with Fox, whilst Summerfield in midfield did OK on his return. Goals are very hard to come by, and we're going to need at least 2 more before the end of the saeson, with wins needed against Chesterfield and Barnet. The Chesterfield game is going to one of the most important in the clubs history, with only a win realistically being good enough. Nerve- racking stuff, let's hope we are strong enough.....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 66
wigworld
March 30, 2018, 5:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

I was at work until 4pm, and listened to the commentary on the way home. Don't think I heard Rose's name mentioned once.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 66
sonofmadeleymariner
March 30, 2018, 5:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Certainly a chance missed against a poor Stevenage side, but once again the few opportunities created were squandered with very poor finishing.  Best first half performance we've seen in a while at home, but once again we faded second half. How Rose and Hooper get a game I will never know, whilst apart from a couple of decent crosse's McSheffrey didn't provide much. Decent defensive performance and I was impressed with Fox, whilst Summerfield in midfield did OK on his return. Goals are very hard to come by, and we're going to need at least 2 more before the end of the saeson, with wins needed against Chesterfield and Barnet. The Chesterfield game is going to one of the most important in the clubs history, with only a win realistically being good enough. Nerve- racking stuff, let's hope we are strong enough.....UTM

McSheffrey was lost out wide, like Woolford he doesn't have the pace to play the position but unlike Woolford at least he has ability.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 66
sonofmadeleymariner
March 30, 2018, 5:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grimbiggs

McSheffrey was lost out wide, like Woolford he doesn't have the pace to play the position but unlike Woolford at least he has ability.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 66
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 5:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Hasn't McSheffrey played out wide most of his career?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 66
Mrs Doyle
March 30, 2018, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
One thing is certain the Chesterfield game is going to be a massive battle on and off the pitch. Loads of previous between our fans this could get very ugly somethings bound to boil over town fans have been simmering for months. Hope they get the police in this time if they thought Port Vale was ill-tempered this one will easily beat that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 66
sonofmadeleymariner
March 30, 2018, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Hasn't McSheffrey played out wide most of his career?

There or behind the striker yes, but today it just looked like a strait for strait replacement for Woolford and was out of position just because he couldn't keep up

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 66
SheepGTFC
March 30, 2018, 6:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +283
Gold Stars: 6
Seeing a lot of people just give up and claim we're down. Just kindly intercourse off with your negativity would you. 6 games left all to play for and a point today is better than nothing. We can do this guys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 66
toontown
March 30, 2018, 6:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
mcsheffrey can at least use the ball, thought he played alright first half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 66
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 6:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from SheepGTFC
Seeing a lot of people just give up and claim we're down. Just kindly intercourse off with your negativity would you. 6 games left all to play for and a point today is better than nothing. We can do this guys.

Exactly! We actually gained a point today and chalked off another game. Would have been better if we had scored obviously, but anyone would think Chesterfield had gained another point on us. Every game that passes keeping them at arms length increases our chances, which went up a percentage point or two today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 66
headingly_mariner
March 30, 2018, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Seeing Rose get rinsed, thought he did alright first half barring his miss but tired.

Those that really struggled today were Mcsheffrey, Hooper and sadly Clifton when he got on 2nd half.  I’m amazed we only had one striker on the bench.

We should have scored first half and I was hoping we’d really push on 2nd half but it never happened. Thought he got the bench and the subs wrong.

Not really sure the new manager has made much of a positive influence on performances. He’s got a tough task on but has he made us any better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 66
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Seeing Rose get rinsed, thought he did alright first half barring his miss but tired.

Those that really struggled today were Mcsheffrey, Hooper and sadly Clifton when he got on 2nd half.  I’m amazed we only had one striker on the bench.

We should have scored first half and I was hoping we’d really push on 2nd half but it never happened. Thought he got the bench and the subs wrong.

Not really sure the new manager has made much of a positive influence on performances. He’s got a tough task on but has he made us any better.

Tough task to do that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 66
Gaffer58
March 30, 2018, 6:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
One thing is certain the Chesterfield game is going to be a massive battle on and off the pitch. Loads of previous between our fans this could get very ugly somethings bound to boil over town fans have been simmering for months. Hope they get the police in this time if they thought Port Vale was ill-tempered this one will easily beat that.

No need for the police at all, the gates are to be kept shut and no beer during the game, if only the board took striker training we would have been scoring 3/4 each game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 66
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2018, 6:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Rose looked like a lost school boy, like he was playing the game on the Xbox and didn't know the buttons or what the aim of the game is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 66
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2018, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,632
Gold Stars: 217
To be fair on the back of 2 big defeats I’d have taken a 0-0 today as a clean sheet is an improvement though I can’t see us scoring never mind winning.

Thought the defence played ok after some early scares but in reality Summers apart our mid field is a massive issue and though our strikers are generally poor with the supply they get it doesn’t help.

Should have scored in the first half never really threatened on the 2nd.

Today was a repeat of too many games this season the only difference was we didn’t conceed after 35 mins and fold.

Good to be a point better off but the drop is still on the cards for me I’m afraid.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 66
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2018, 6:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Special mention for the ref.

Another awful ref, was loving his magic spray, 1 man in the wall and a 3 meter long line....

Mcsheffrey went to do a quick free kick, but the ref wanted to use his spray.

They must get s bonus for whoever has the least amount of spray remaining in the can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 66
Badger57
March 30, 2018, 6:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Not bad first half but missed what looked like very easy chances (Burnsy said one was unbelievably bad miss after he saw it on the press screen at half time.)
Second half was pretty dire with not one decent effort on goal. Stevenage had to get one chance and when they did I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how they didn't put it in?
Hooper and Rose both useless again. Does Hooper know he is allowed to jump off the ground or make an effort to get on the end of crosses? What the hell does Wilkinson do with our forwards???
Defensively sound and Summerfield MOM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 66
barralad
March 30, 2018, 7:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,194
Gold Stars: 121
Defensively pretty sound. All four put a shift in. Did Macca get a touch on the one that hit the post second half? They were pretty much as bad as we were in the six yard box. I wouldn't have minded having Fox in the squad from Day 1-fantastic 70 yard run first half.
Bit of magic from Siriki but not consistently so and still tending to run up blind alleys with the ball.
What really let us down was the ball into the box on far too many occasions. Hooper was getting loads of abuse for seemingly not jumping but the balls in were made for defenders and their centre halves were always strong favourites. It's the frustrating thing about Mills game. He makes the runs, gets himself in good positions to cross and then his delivery is woeful. Malik tried hard but it didn't really happen for him. I thought Clifton was poor when he came on. Kept the ball too long or on one occasion ran away from Fox before Fox  had it under control and their lad nipped in with Fox caught in no mans land.
Mills couldn't disguise his frustration on several occasions at the lack of a quick throw out from Macca. The one time Macca tried it he was able to send Dembele up the park at speed putting defenders on the back foot.
Is Jackson close to fitness? At least he knows where the goal is...
Verdict- it is better by degrees. Certainly much better than the Vale game where we really rode our luck but with the few games Jolley has to get it right we probably need more degrees!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 66
AndyGTFC
March 30, 2018, 7:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +774
Gold Stars: 4
It's not a lack of effort, just a complete lack of quality. Had three golden chances in the first half but didn't take them and it was just a nothing game in the second, plus there weren't the players on the bench to do anything other than make the team worse.

It's gonna be a battle but I guess it's still all about those games against Chesterfield and Barnet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 66
Mrs Doyle
March 30, 2018, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
To be fair it's never been lack of effort just lack of quality. On the plus side it's Jolleys best result so far on the minus side we were dreadful up front two or three great chances went begging.

Second half was disappointing hardly any efforts on goal and thank goodness that ball somehow stayed out easily the best chance of the game coming off the post and for once was not followed in.

Thought Summerfield's no-nonsense midfield battles were whats been missing for weeks. If only we had a half decent striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 66
quebec38
March 30, 2018, 7:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
How much longer is Jackson out for? And how did McAllister get on last week? Those two in for Rose and Hooper for me next Saturday. Although I realise that forces another change elsewhere because of loans. What a badly assembled squad. What on earth were Slenty thinking.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 66
mariner91
March 30, 2018, 7:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Just watched the highlights, how in fck's name did Rose miss that sitter in the first half?! Six yards out, completely unchallenged. He could have taken a touch it was so unchallenged! What a donkey.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 66
Jarmo.Is.God
March 30, 2018, 7:45pm

Vodka Drinker
McAllister didn't play as he's a defensive minded midfielder, and would of been a waste today, so he's fresher for a tough away game where he will be more effective, good move
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
ginnywings
March 30, 2018, 7:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from mariner91
Just watched the highlights, how in fck's name did Rose miss that sitter in the first half?! Six yards out, completely unchallenged. He could have taken a touch it was so unchallenged! What a donkey.

And that is why we are where we are. Can't take even the simplest of opportunities.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 7:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

At least Barnet dont have games in hand.

Didn't worry about Barnet they are down.
It's between Chesterfield and us

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
moosey_club
March 30, 2018, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from headingly_mariner

well he has identified that Clarkes long throw is sh!t and has made a change there...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 7:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
McAllister didn't play as he's a defensive minded midfielder, and would of been a waste today, so he's fresher for a tough away game where he will be more effective, good move

Agree he will be in the starting 11 next week.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 8:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from SheepGTFC

intercourse off with your stupidity.
We are going down.
If you can't score you don't win.
We can't score we don't win.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
headingly_mariner
March 30, 2018, 8:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

well he has identified that Clarkes long throw is sh!t and has made a change there...

Great point  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 8:03pm

Vodka Drinker
I have to give a special mention to Wilkes today.
What a flipping bone idol, lazy, couldn't give a intercourse illegitimate.

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
chaos33
March 30, 2018, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
What I don't understand is the selection of players who have proved, time and time and time again, that they are not up to it. Step forward Rose, and Clarke and Hooper for a start...
Not included - the Villa loanee  - I don't get that at all. No Mcallister. No Clifton. No DJ.
We cannot score. Pick whoever you like we just cannot score. If you can't score, you can't win. On that basis alone, for me, we are as good as down, because these players are, by and large, utter cr@p. if showing up and getting behind the team counted for anything, we would have won today. And got something last week. And maybe drawn at Lincoln. For me, in the remaining games, we might as well play behind closed doors. It's over. Thanks John.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
moosey_club
March 30, 2018, 8:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
I have to give a special mention to Wilkes today.
What a flipping bone idol, lazy, couldn't give a intercourse illegitimate.

maybe coming from the Leeds set up he is use to people actually passing to him and playing the ball in his actual direction

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
LH
March 30, 2018, 8:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
I think today’s game could probably double as this season’s summary (although it was an above average defensive performance). Loads of effort but toothless and definitely not talented enough.

Today showed just how much we’ve missed Summerfield’s tenacity, work ethic and leadership over the last few games. Really good effort from him and he cajoles others to play up to his effort levels. We’d wouldn’t be in this position with two or three more players with those attributes in the team. Mills too was important with a few saving challenges in the early stages. He must have covered 20KM today just running across the field to take every throw-in (is this necessary?).
I did like the way we set up today but I think MJ would probably like different players in some positions but is restricted by injuries.

I don’t think Dembele’s comments on RH recently have helped him whatsoever. Previously he’d be given the benefit of the doubt and mistakes were generally down to inexperience. This week I could sense a bit of animosity towards him and mistakes were berated. Fair enough I suppose but I think that we were always seen as a stepping stone by him - which I think is fine as long as you don’t say it publicly!

One funny thing I did see in the second half was a Stevenage corner being half cleared and Collins attempting to mark Fox in our box who was behind him.

Overall I do think it is a chance missed and it could be one of the games we look back on and think what if?. That said Chesterfield dropping points means they’ve got to win their two games in hand to go above us provided we match their results to the end of the season. On balance we’re probably pretty much exactly where we started today at only with one less to play - 2/10 on the positivity scale for me tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
jamesgtfc
March 30, 2018, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Special mention for the ref.

Another awful ref, was loving his magic spray, 1 man in the wall and a 3 meter long line....

Mcsheffrey went to do a quick free kick, but the ref wanted to use his spray.

They must get s bonus for whoever has the least amount of spray remaining in the can

Very frustrating when he stopped us playing a quick free kick on the edge of their box so he could set the wall up and get his spray out. I would have understood it if he booked their player but he never!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2018, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from moosey_club

maybe coming from the Leeds set up he is use to people actually passing to him and playing the ball in his actual direction

Whatever the reason he was very very poor today. Mind you, who wouldn't be coming into that team? I thought he would have contributed more though. That is another "striker" we have tried up there without success.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

He could not give a excrement and played that way today..
His body language was 'i don't give a intercourse'

GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
moosey_club
March 30, 2018, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Well....
slightly different story but the same ending....very little goal threat !!

big hole in centre midfield and zero service from wide.

There is the odd hint of change in general approach play & Mills has now been given long throw duty but other than Dembele's shot first half , Rose's fluff and McSheffrey (?) at the end of Fox's run no real positive goal threat.

Not looking good guys & girls...the goals for column is going to do for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
Tommy
March 30, 2018, 8:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Well wasn't that a missed opportunity.

A few golden chances in the first half was more than we'd created in any half of football for a long long time.

First one Hooper plays a good early ball to Wilks, who does ok to turn but a defender does brilliantly to get back and win a goal kick somehow.

Second one a fantastic cross in from Summerfield is met by Mills at the back post and then Rose in the middle. Neither able to direct it anywhere near the goal.

Third one a great rampaging run by Fox down the left. Thought he lost a good chance to slip the ball in behind for Wilks but he kept going and left one or two Stevenagers for dead on his way to the byline. Cut it across, goes through bodies in the middle and McSheffrey scuffs at it with his right foot from close range.

That gave me great hope we'd push on second half and score in front of the pontoon. But didn't get going again and ran out of ideas the longer the game went on. Couple of great opportunities to put the ball in the box by Mills in a good area but his delivery was typically awful.

Rose did break through and could've shot. But I didn't think it was a bad idea laying it off behind him to Hooper who he thought was running onto it.

And later on the inevitable moment when you're heart's in your mouth for a few seconds as we somehow clear one off the line (heroics from Danny Collins and maybe Fox too).

A few observations on players.

Macca: didn't have a lot to do in all honesty.
Mills: couple of timely blocks 1st half but crossing continues to be shocking.
Clarke/Collins: solid enough today. Won their battles.
Fox: looked stronger today. Good performance.

Dembele: actually thought he did ok today. Bit more productive with the ball first half. First attempt at a dribble resulted in losing the ball and loads of moaning but he showed good character to get the ball again a few minutes later, drive forward, go between 2 players and sting the keepers hands with a shot. Off the ball it was by far the most "up for the fight" I'd seen Siriki. Tired 2nd half.

Rose: wasnt a mistake-ridden performance but didn't impose himself on the game enough. A few decent switches of play but too slow at times to go and engage with a Player. Turned into trouble in the first half which got the crowd on his back but he played calmly out of a similar situation soon after. Involved in 2 moments we had in front of goal so could and should have had a bigger say on the result.

Summerfield: really dynamic performance, put some strong tackles in and got about the pitch well.

McSheffrey: not a great deal of involvement. Can see the thinking behind playing him on the right but it just left him isolated when receiving the ball a lot of the time. And if you haven't got pace or can't go past people 1v1, you don't want to be receiving the ball with no teammates around you.

Wilkes: don't think he did a great deal wrong with his chance at the time. Just couldn't keep his footing. Looked to run in behind and was good to have a pacey outlet up top, but faded.

Hooper: don't get the mass criticism of him on here. Though first half he'd won more headers than Matt and Vernon would've won combined. A few nice little lay offs but as the game wore on the service got worse and worse, having to challenge for lost causes/hopeful punts.

Looking at the subs at half time I thought we'd be struggling to make a positive attacking change from those available.
Losing Wilks was a blow but at least moving McSheffrey up top might get him in areas he can give us an end product. Not to be because the football had dried up and service had died a death.
When Vernon then came on it pretty much nailed it on as a 0-0.
RHJ came on for the knackered Dembele but in truth could've come on earlier for Mills just to try and put a better quality ball into the box.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
KingstonMariner
March 30, 2018, 9:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from wigworld

I was at work until 4pm, and listened to the commentary on the way home. Don't think I heard Rose's name mentioned once.

If you'd been in the Pontoon you'd have heard it plenty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
davmariner
March 30, 2018, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
We won’t play many shitter teams in L2 than Stevenage. Missed opportunity.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
chaos33
March 30, 2018, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
A rubbish team with nothing to play for, and we still struggle. At home. Like we have all season. Where's the use in hiding from the truth? We are the worst team in the division at we stink at home. We will get mullered at Wycombe and things will look a whole lot worse on Monday night. We needed to win today but we are too sh1t to manage a goal, never mind a win.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
nightrider
March 30, 2018, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Stevenage were shot the last time we played them but we still lost 2-0
So it's definitely an improvement

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
marinerrick
March 30, 2018, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
Quoted from nightrider
Stevenage were shot the last time we played them but we still lost 2-0
So it's definitely an improvement

Also how the intercourse did the ref not give a free kick when seriki was pushed out the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
KingstonMariner
March 30, 2018, 10:24pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from marinerrick

Also how the intercourse did the ref not give a free kick when seriki was pushed out the pitch.

That was ludicrous wasn't it. The Stevenage player had his arm out  so Dembele couldn't run past him, so Dembele went further out to his left and the Stevenage player pushed out further, until he was a good five feet away from the ball and pushed out of play. Short of admitting he fouled Dembele, it couldn't have been more obvious.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
Mighty_Mariner
March 30, 2018, 10:37pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Dembele is really frustrating... there was a moment when we were attacking second half in their final third and he was still sat on the fecking floor!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
toontown
March 30, 2018, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
That incident with their playing shoving dembele when the ball was literally 5 feet away from them was ludicrous - you probably won't have seen a clearer foul all game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
petethemariner
March 30, 2018, 11:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Which is probably why Seriki, despite his undoubted talent, will never amount to much, he has a premier league   mentality in league 2,, which will aways find him out,such a shame.
I feel next season will be back in the national league, we just do not look like scoring, cannot fault the effort today, including Hooper, who copped  much undeserved stick, as I thought he  put a shift in, which I admit is rarely the case.
I thought many played well today, the back 5, both full backs in particular and Summerfield, after a slow start, continued to be our best player this season.
This was a game we had to win, Stevenage had nothing to play for and were poor, we didn't take advantage and I feel
FGR last game of the season could be a very sad and ironic day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
KingstonMariner
March 30, 2018, 11:55pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner
Which is probably why Seriki, despite his undoubted talent, will never amount to much, he has a premier league   mentality in league 2,, which will aways find him out,such a shame.
I feel next season will be back in the national league, we just do not look like scoring, cannot fault the effort today, including Hooper, who copped  much undeserved stick, as I thought he  put a shift in, which I admit is rarely the case.
I thought many played well today, the back 5, both full backs in particular and Summerfield, after a slow start, continued to be our best player this season.
This was a game we had to win, Stevenage had nothing to play for and were poor, we didn't take advantage and I feel

Which 'which' do you mean?

If Hooper put in a shift you would be an undemanding boss. He made half-arsed attempts from my perspective. Rarely made much movement to show for the ball around the box, hardly ever tried to get the ball back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
petethemariner
March 31, 2018, 12:11am
Cocktail Drinker
I agree movement was poor as was the ' highly rated' wilks, who seemed to escape much of the flak, I am no Hooper fan, but much of the  ' service' he received was over his head against very large centre  backs and when he did win it, absolutely noone got on The end of it.
Hooper isn't the reason we are where we are, Fenty, Slade and Wilkinson are culpable for that, there is a player in Hooper if someone could unlock it, but as I have known in my 50 years watching GTFC , town fans always need a scaoegoat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
petethemariner
March 31, 2018, 12:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Which 'which' do you mean?[b][/b]

If Hooper put in a shift you would be an undemanding boss. He made half-arsed attempts from my perspective. Rarely made much movement to show for the ball around the box, hardly ever tried to get the ball back.

Reading your post back I had better clarify, I was referring to Mighty Mariners  post about Dembele being sat on his bottom when we were on the attack, hence which is why Dembele will amount to nothing, hope this clarifies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
Mrs Doyle
March 31, 2018, 4:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Which 'which' do you mean?

Hooper frustrates me he won a fair few balls in the air but there were a few times he was second best to balls in threatening areas, he as the size and build he should just muscle is way past when one one one.

He may give away a free kick or two but show some fecking passion to win the ball. If only he had the heart of Summerfield he would be a proper striker.

At least Matt does put himself about a bit not saying he is much better in front of goal though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
Mighty_Mariner
March 31, 2018, 7:10am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Hooper frustrates me he won a fair few balls in the air but there were a few times he was second best to balls in threatening areas, he as the size and build he should just muscle is way past when one one one.

He may give away a free kick or two but show some fecking passion to win the ball. If only he had the heart of Summerfield he would be a proper striker.

At least Matt does put himself about a bit not saying he is much better in front of goal though.

I was saying this at the game yesterday, for a player of his size, he gets pushed off the ball way to easily.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
headingly_mariner
March 31, 2018, 10:12am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner

Had a good first half providing the only real bits of quality. He’s the only player in the team capable of changing the game. He’s be playing at a higher level than we will throughout the rest of his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 31, 2018, 10:17am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,510
Gold Stars: 64
As others have said plenty of effort but quality is limited to one or two incidents in each game.

Reflecting over the season I am starting to wonder how fit our players actually are? In most games we are competitive for at least 30 minutes and in home games up until half time. But in the majority of home performances our second half performance is non existent with us regularly failing to create one clear cut chance.

The other outstanding feature is how few goals we score from set pieces (acknowledge we don’t score many full stop) or even look like scoring. To be fair to Clarke and Collins they win a lot of aerial battles in defence but put them up for a set piece and nothing and like others have said our front players are very poor in the air and do not win much in the air.

Finally going back to quality I agree that Summerfield is our best performer in midfield but I do not believe he has scored one goal this season and when is the last time he actually created a chance, Port Vale away? What a shambles Slade left behind and the more glaring this fact becomes the more surprising it is to me that Wilko was allowed to continue in his role.

Think by 5.00pm our fate could be known.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
TownSNAFU5
March 31, 2018, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
I feel more positive after watching the game yesterday that some other posters.

Summerfield make a big difference to the team with his passing, tenacity and closing down.  We created some very good chances and kept a clean sheet, the first in 2018.  The team is getting better.  We just need to take at least one of these chances that we are now creating. The key point is that we created the very good chances in the first place.  Jolley is gradually making small improvements in the team.

Others have criticised Rose.  The team can improve without him and with bringing Jackson back in when he is fit.  A frustrating criticism yesterday was when we were trying to score towards the end of the game.  Mills would get forward into some good positions and then put in a woeful and wasted cross.

Stevenage was not a must-win game.  Chesterfield is. Having key home games against them and Barnet gives us further chances to move clear.  It is us to the team.

Football does not always go to form.  We could get a point at Wycombe and/or Swindon.  Sunderland are as bad as we are in their own division.  They were bottom yesterday until they won 4-1 last night away at play-off Derby. Top teams have their own pressures and can freeze on the day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
mariner91
March 31, 2018, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
As others have said plenty of effort but quality is limited to one or two incidents in each game.

Reflecting over the season I am starting to wonder how fit our players actually are? In most games we are competitive for at least 30 minutes and in home games up until half time. But in the majority of home performances our second half performance is non existent with us regularly failing to create one clear cut chance.

The other outstanding feature is how few goals we score from set pieces (acknowledge we don’t score many full stop) or even look like scoring. To be fair to Clarke and Collins they win a lot of aerial battles in defence but put them up for a set piece and nothing and like others have said our front players are very poor in the air and do not win much in the air.

Finally going back to quality I agree that Summerfield is our best performer in midfield but I do not believe he has scored one goal this season and when is the last time he actually created a chance, Port Vale away? What a shambles Slade left behind and the more glaring this fact becomes the more surprising it is to me that Wilko was allowed to continue in his role.

Think by 5.00pm our fate could be known.

Yesterday, he put in a fantastic ball that Mills and Rose somehow couldn't convert between the two of them.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
headingly_mariner
March 31, 2018, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
The more I think about it, the more I think it was a huge chance missed. Stevenage weren’t really arsed and were absolutely there for the taking.

First half was ok and I think the threat from Wilks pace opened a lot of space. I can’t believe we didn’t have more attacking options on the bench. Slinging Cardwell on when Mcsheffrey and Hooper were knackered could’ve given us a lift. Thought Vernon did a decent job holding the ball up when he came on and if he had a pacy partner he’d be useful.

I’m hoping that we start to see the fruits of what is supposed to be going on behind the scences on the pitch. People keep saying that this is the worst squad we’ve ever had and I don’t think that is true, it’s a shocking run after a decent points haul in the 1st half of the season.

We’ve played two poor teams at home under Jolley and managed 1 half decent 45 minutes. He needs to get a tune out of these players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
Jaws
March 31, 2018, 12:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Best performance from this lot since the turn of the year. Not sure what Jolley says at half-time but it's not working.

Tough game on Monday. Think Chesterfield and Barnet have got winnable games.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
moosey_club
March 31, 2018, 1:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner
We won’t play many shitter teams in L2 than Stevenage. Missed opportunity.

Well as we can't play ourselves then i guess thats true  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.