This thread currently has 10,778 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 30, 2018, 8:15pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
I think today’s game could probably double as this season’s summary (although it was an above average defensive performance). Loads of effort but toothless and definitely not talented enough.

Today showed just how much we’ve missed Summerfield’s tenacity, work ethic and leadership over the last few games. Really good effort from him and he cajoles others to play up to his effort levels. We’d wouldn’t be in this position with two or three more players with those attributes in the team. Mills too was important with a few saving challenges in the early stages. He must have covered 20KM today just running across the field to take every throw-in (is this necessary?).
I did like the way we set up today but I think MJ would probably like different players in some positions but is restricted by injuries.

I don’t think Dembele’s comments on RH recently have helped him whatsoever. Previously he’d be given the benefit of the doubt and mistakes were generally down to inexperience. This week I could sense a bit of animosity towards him and mistakes were berated. Fair enough I suppose but I think that we were always seen as a stepping stone by him - which I think is fine as long as you don’t say it publicly!

One funny thing I did see in the second half was a Stevenage corner being half cleared and Collins attempting to mark Fox in our box who was behind him.

Overall I do think it is a chance missed and it could be one of the games we look back on and think what if?. That said Chesterfield dropping points means they’ve got to win their two games in hand to go above us provided we match their results to the end of the season. On balance we’re probably pretty much exactly where we started today at only with one less to play - 2/10 on the positivity scale for me tonight.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 66
jamesgtfc
March 30, 2018, 8:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Special mention for the ref.

Another awful ref, was loving his magic spray, 1 man in the wall and a 3 meter long line....

Mcsheffrey went to do a quick free kick, but the ref wanted to use his spray.

They must get s bonus for whoever has the least amount of spray remaining in the can

Very frustrating when he stopped us playing a quick free kick on the edge of their box so he could set the wall up and get his spray out. I would have understood it if he booked their player but he never!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 66
lew chaterleys lover
March 30, 2018, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from moosey_club

maybe coming from the Leeds set up he is use to people actually passing to him and playing the ball in his actual direction

Whatever the reason he was very very poor today. Mind you, who wouldn't be coming into that team? I thought he would have contributed more though. That is another "striker" we have tried up there without success.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 66
TAGG
March 30, 2018, 8:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from moosey_club

maybe coming from the Leeds set up he is use to people actually passing to him and playing the ball in his actual direction

He could not give a excrement and played that way today..
His body language was 'i don't give a intercourse'

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 66
moosey_club
March 30, 2018, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Well....
slightly different story but the same ending....very little goal threat !!

big hole in centre midfield and zero service from wide.

There is the odd hint of change in general approach play & Mills has now been given long throw duty but other than Dembele's shot first half , Rose's fluff and McSheffrey (?) at the end of Fox's run no real positive goal threat.

Not looking good guys & girls...the goals for column is going to do for us.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 66
Tommy
March 30, 2018, 8:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Well wasn't that a missed opportunity.

A few golden chances in the first half was more than we'd created in any half of football for a long long time.

First one Hooper plays a good early ball to Wilks, who does ok to turn but a defender does brilliantly to get back and win a goal kick somehow.

Second one a fantastic cross in from Summerfield is met by Mills at the back post and then Rose in the middle. Neither able to direct it anywhere near the goal.

Third one a great rampaging run by Fox down the left. Thought he lost a good chance to slip the ball in behind for Wilks but he kept going and left one or two Stevenagers for dead on his way to the byline. Cut it across, goes through bodies in the middle and McSheffrey scuffs at it with his right foot from close range.

That gave me great hope we'd push on second half and score in front of the pontoon. But didn't get going again and ran out of ideas the longer the game went on. Couple of great opportunities to put the ball in the box by Mills in a good area but his delivery was typically awful.

Rose did break through and could've shot. But I didn't think it was a bad idea laying it off behind him to Hooper who he thought was running onto it.

And later on the inevitable moment when you're heart's in your mouth for a few seconds as we somehow clear one off the line (heroics from Danny Collins and maybe Fox too).

A few observations on players.

Macca: didn't have a lot to do in all honesty.
Mills: couple of timely blocks 1st half but crossing continues to be shocking.
Clarke/Collins: solid enough today. Won their battles.
Fox: looked stronger today. Good performance.

Dembele: actually thought he did ok today. Bit more productive with the ball first half. First attempt at a dribble resulted in losing the ball and loads of moaning but he showed good character to get the ball again a few minutes later, drive forward, go between 2 players and sting the keepers hands with a shot. Off the ball it was by far the most "up for the fight" I'd seen Siriki. Tired 2nd half.

Rose: wasnt a mistake-ridden performance but didn't impose himself on the game enough. A few decent switches of play but too slow at times to go and engage with a Player. Turned into trouble in the first half which got the crowd on his back but he played calmly out of a similar situation soon after. Involved in 2 moments we had in front of goal so could and should have had a bigger say on the result.

Summerfield: really dynamic performance, put some strong tackles in and got about the pitch well.

McSheffrey: not a great deal of involvement. Can see the thinking behind playing him on the right but it just left him isolated when receiving the ball a lot of the time. And if you haven't got pace or can't go past people 1v1, you don't want to be receiving the ball with no teammates around you.

Wilkes: don't think he did a great deal wrong with his chance at the time. Just couldn't keep his footing. Looked to run in behind and was good to have a pacey outlet up top, but faded.

Hooper: don't get the mass criticism of him on here. Though first half he'd won more headers than Matt and Vernon would've won combined. A few nice little lay offs but as the game wore on the service got worse and worse, having to challenge for lost causes/hopeful punts.

Looking at the subs at half time I thought we'd be struggling to make a positive attacking change from those available.
Losing Wilks was a blow but at least moving McSheffrey up top might get him in areas he can give us an end product. Not to be because the football had dried up and service had died a death.
When Vernon then came on it pretty much nailed it on as a 0-0.
RHJ came on for the knackered Dembele but in truth could've come on earlier for Mills just to try and put a better quality ball into the box.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 66
KingstonMariner
March 30, 2018, 9:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from wigworld

I was at work until 4pm, and listened to the commentary on the way home. Don't think I heard Rose's name mentioned once.

If you'd been in the Pontoon you'd have heard it plenty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 66
davmariner
March 30, 2018, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
We won’t play many shitter teams in L2 than Stevenage. Missed opportunity.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 66
chaos33
March 30, 2018, 9:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
A rubbish team with nothing to play for, and we still struggle. At home. Like we have all season. Where's the use in hiding from the truth? We are the worst team in the division at we stink at home. We will get mullered at Wycombe and things will look a whole lot worse on Monday night. We needed to win today but we are too sh1t to manage a goal, never mind a win.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 66
nightrider
March 30, 2018, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Stevenage were shot the last time we played them but we still lost 2-0
So it's definitely an improvement

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.