4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
March 22, 2018, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Anyone catch his interview with Humberside tonight?

Just caught a bit of it where he said there had been interest from some Championship and Premiership teams in the January window but felt it was the right time to stay.

Private Message
headingly_mariner
March 22, 2018, 10:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
If he hits a bit of form now he’s fit it could really help us stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
lukeo
March 22, 2018, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
What a load of cobblers. No way near that standard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
chaos33
March 22, 2018, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Given that he is completely unproven at L2 level - having a couple of promising moments in a game every 3 weeks not really being enough to establish credibility at any level, I'd be utterly astonished if any Championship or Premiership club was prepared to sign (and play) him on that basis.
Sure he looks to have great skill (at times). He has flashes of exciting and technical promise but how many times has he turned a game? Run a game? How many goals in L2? How many assists? Relatively speaking, he's done nothing in the game yet.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
ginnywings
March 22, 2018, 11:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from lukeo
What a load of cobblers. No way near that standard.

Not now, but potentially he is, and lot's of teams buy potential when it's still relatively cheap. Still only 21 and hasn't played 2 dozen games yet in his career. He was definitely being scouted and looked the part for a couple of months. It all caught up with him a bit as it so often does with young players at the beginning of their careers. Depends how he now develops.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
denni266
March 22, 2018, 11:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 132
Good player when things come off, sadly that is not very often ,, does too much and runs more in too trouble and ends up giving ball away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
Tommy
March 22, 2018, 11:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from ginnywings

Not now, but potentially he is, and lot's of teams buy potential when it's still relatively cheap. Still only 21 and hasn't played 2 dozen games yet in his career. He was definitely being scouted and looked the part for a couple of months. It all caught up with him a bit as it so often does with young players at the beginning of their careers.

^ Fair assessment ^

It could also be that teams from a higher level might think he'd excel playing in a better team in a better division.

Even when he was in good form earlier in the season, he still didn't receive the ball in the opposition half, facing the opposition goal.

You could argue he's partly responsible for that. But you could also argue that we are not a team that dominate possession or can consistently progress controlled possession up the pitch in order to get players on the ball in the final third with suitable support around them.

Yeah he's inconsistent with decision-making as all players at this level probably are, particularly young players. But he does have some ability on the ball and could flourish in a team suited to his strengths. That team could well be us next season?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
KingstonMariner
March 23, 2018, 12:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think he's more likely to prosper with better players around him. Both in terms of receiving the ball and having someone to pass it on to. And also because he'll learn more. No sure who in our squad he could learn from. Davies maybe?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
Kris2
March 23, 2018, 12:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
He has a ton of potential and I think he's the type who will realise it. If he has better coaching and better players around him then he'll excel I'm sure. Still a young  player a team could pick up cheap and then loan him out for a season so he gets more games. I think in a couple of years of getting experience he'll be a really good player.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
jonnyboy82
March 23, 2018, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I like the lad i really i do and feel he could go to the championship but am afraid the lad is living off a few decent games the beginning of the season .

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
Maringer
March 23, 2018, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
He's certainly got a lot of skill with the ball at his feet, but a lot of improvement is required in his general game before he can be thinking about playing at a higher level. His small and slight stature is going to count against him because he's not really quick in the way that some small players are - SWP for example.

Biggest thing he needs to do for me is improve his first touch a great deal and then work on his overall gameplay because he should really be looking for the pass much more often than he does. If the opposition know you're going to try and dribble past them every time you get the ball, you're too predictable - let the ball and your teammates do more of the work and keep them guessing.

Hopefully, we'll stay up this season and then sign some better midfielders so he gets the chance to receive the ball in more advanced areas of the field where he can do some damage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
Chrisblor
March 23, 2018, 4:19pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,811
Gold Stars: 234
I don't see how he's any better than someone like Dom Vose at this point. In fact you could argue that Vose offered much more end product than Dembele, and he's now slumbing it in a conference relegation fight.

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
TheCodfather1966
March 24, 2018, 1:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
This is laughable, Dembele is not even playing well for us, he has no chance of playing in the Championship or Premier.  He is bog standard at best and so over rated in my opinion.  Would he have got into a successful Buckley team............  not a chance....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
promotion plaice
March 24, 2018, 2:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Just heard the Dembele interview on Hullberside.........doesn't sound like he will be here next season  

We need to make sure we get a fee for him if we can.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Mighty_Mariner
March 24, 2018, 2:59pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
What did he say Promotion Plaice?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
Mighty_Mariner
March 24, 2018, 3:00pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Also, don't we have an option on his contract for next season? So if MJ wants him here, then he will be!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 38
jimgtfc
March 24, 2018, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Just heard the interview on RH, didn’t sound committed to the club one little bit. Sounded to me like he wanted out in January, also seemed like he doesn’t want the club to extend his deal and I highly doubt he’ll be here in August no matter what league we end up in.

Also regarding the Prem/Championship interested, I wonder wether they were Scottish teams. He’s played up there and if that clause hasn’t been activated then they could’ve approached him from January 1st onwards to sign him on a pre contract agreement in July.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
gtfcmd
March 24, 2018, 3:02pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
he obviously thinks he better than what he is probably shrewsbury bound money talks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
promotion plaice
March 24, 2018, 3:10pm

Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
What did he say Promotion Plaice?

He was evasive on nearly every question put to him and seemed to be controlled by his agent.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
VinnyGTFC
March 24, 2018, 3:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +127
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from jimgtfc
Just heard the interview on RH, didn’t sound committed to the club one little bit. Sounded to me like he wanted out in January, also seemed like he doesn’t want the club to extend his deal and I highly doubt he’ll be here in August no matter what league we end up in.

Also regarding the Prem/Championship interested, I wonder wether they were Scottish teams. He’s played up there and if that clause hasn’t been activated then they could’ve approached him from January 1st onwards to sign him on a pre contract agreement in July.

Sounded like a young naive lad who was hi jacked by a prepared clever journalist to me. At the minute he's obviously not sure what league we will be in. Might not be sure if Town will want to keep him and under a new manager not sure how he fits in to that. I'm not quite sure what else we can expect. At least he's not kissing the badge with crossed fingers.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
jimgtfc
March 24, 2018, 3:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Sounded like a young naive lad who was hi jacked by a prepared clever journalist to me. At the minute he's obviously not sure what league we will be in. Might not be sure if Town will want to keep him and under a new manager not sure how he fits in to that. I'm not quite sure what else we can expect. At least he's not kissing the badge with crossed fingers.

Not for me. Evaded every question, didn’t sound happy here at all.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
jonnyboy82
March 24, 2018, 3:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We have an option anyway dont we ? So tough titties what he thinks or wants , if we sell him then anything above 100k  would be decent for us as he is only potential material atm.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
VinnyGTFC
March 24, 2018, 3:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +127
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from jimgtfc

Not for me. Evaded every question, didn’t sound happy here at all.

The only thing he really evaded was which clubs were interested. He tried not to say too much but probably said more than he should. My son is not much younger than him and he would make £1000 in his back pocket sound like it was the worst thing in the world. You might be right but I wouldn't read too much into it I don't think
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 38
jimgtfc
March 24, 2018, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

The only thing he really evaded was which clubs were interested. He tried not to say too much but probably said more than he should. My son is not much younger than him and he would make £1000 in his back pocket sound like it was the worst thing in the world. You might be right but I wouldn't read too much into it I don't think

Yeah maybe so, just hope he’s fully committed for the next 8 games at least.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
ginnywings
March 24, 2018, 4:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
Perhaps that's why his form has dipped? Once serious interest in Bogle started, he went off the boil and his head was elsewhere.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 38
itsnotcoditshaddock
March 25, 2018, 7:54am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah maybe so, just hope he’s fully committed for the next 8 games at least.

Based on that interview I would say he couldn’t care less about GTFC and is just ambling to the end of the season. Should be dropped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 38
March 25, 2018, 8:02am
Guest User
He needs to get some crosses in the box instead of a thousand stepovers. If the ball isn't in there, we won't ever score. What he does after May I don't really care at the moment.
Reply: 26 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
March 25, 2018, 9:15am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
His off the ball movement is his main downfall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
arryarryarry
March 25, 2018, 9:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
I've been a big fan of Dembele as he offered something different to what we had but have to say some of his performance yesterday was pretty poor and to be honest he does look like a player who doesn't want to be here.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
Bigdog
March 25, 2018, 9:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I'm going to try and defend the kid a little bit with a few unproven theories..

Right up until the Fans Forum the whole division was raving about him. Between then and the Morecambe game when he got injured was only a few short weeks of a dip in form for him along with the rest of the team. He says it's taken him this long to get his back 100% but his confidence is low and he needs to get back to where he was earlier in the season. Since he's been available to play after his injury he's been in and out the team and the team has been pants anyway.

It could be a lack of confidence in his back injury being fully healed..

It could be his performances are symptomatic of the whole mood at the club..

It could be that he's one of the lowest paid players at the club but its biggest asset and he's looking at players on four times as much as him lumbering around the pitch..

It could be that he didn't like how the club treated some of the players over the season..

It could be the fact that JF proudly said they can wait right until the end of the season before triggering the extra year on the contract. You know, keeping the lad on the lowest wages possible til the last minute to keep costs low rather than rewarding him with some fine performances by giving him a couple or three hundred quid pay rise to give him a spring in his step and feel valued..

It could be that he thinks the whole club is a basket case and he just wants to get out asap..

It could be he questions the club's ambition when selling off our better players in the January transfer window..

It could be a multitude of things that's affecting a young kid's performance in his first season at a professional football club. You can't say it's been a perfect environment for the lad..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
RoboCod
March 25, 2018, 9:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
All of what BigDog said. I'm just hugely disappointed that Dembele and a fair few others tbf haven't appeared to have gained a massive spring in their step after Slade was shown the door.

An unbelievably shallow pool of talent and professional attitude, making unattached clubless players with little match sharpness look an attractive alternative. How can that be  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
HertsGTFC
March 25, 2018, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
My view on Dembelle?

Get him signed on the option thing and then sell him on. He was good for the first 3 months but has done very little since.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
Rick12
March 25, 2018, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Dembele if he wants to I feel could play championship.Has a lot of ability and I still remember him at Coventry first home game of this season.Stood out from the first moment he touched the ball.I thought he was class.

As for his dip in his performances.Probably knows he can do do better than league 2 and certainly wont be with us if we are relegated.He probably does have his head turned by better offers which his undoubted ability merits .Personally cant blame him as football is a business and he has to do what is best for himself and his family.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
arryarryarry
March 26, 2018, 1:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
My view on Dembelle?

Get him signed on the option thing and then sell him on. He was good for the first 3 months but has done very little since.    

Most of our players have done very little since.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
promotion plaice
March 26, 2018, 1:49am

Quoted from HertsGTFC
My view on Dembelle?

Then let his wonderful agent find him another club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
Mrs Doyle
March 26, 2018, 4:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
To be fair if he had better players around him he would be more effective. Teams have the luxury of putting two or even three players on him due to our impotent midfield and attack. Thought Summerfield was helping him a lot but where is Summerfield is he injured still??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
Mrs Doyle
March 26, 2018, 4:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
To be fair if he had better players around him he would be more effective. Teams have the luxury of putting two or even three players on him due to our impotent midfield and attack. Thought Summerfield was helping him a lot but where is Summerfield is he injured still??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
Jarmo.Is.God
March 26, 2018, 8:58am

Vodka Drinker
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Dembele is a young lad extremely low on confidence.

His quick feet and fast driblbing use to get us past 2-3 men and then win a free-kick.

But now he gets past 1, ends up on his @rse, and thats it.

Also, when we dont have the ball, we almost have 10 men on the pitch, he does nothing to help us out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
arryarryarry
March 26, 2018, 9:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Dembele is a young lad extremely low on confidence.

His quick feet and fast driblbing use to get us past 2-3 men and then win a free-kick.

But now he gets past 1, ends up on his @rse, and thats it.

Also, when we dont have the ball, we almost have 10 men on the pitch, he does nothing to help us out

I think saying 10 men is clutching at straws.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dembele

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.