7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
April 4, 2018, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,493
Gold Stars: 185
Ignoring the usual rubbish about Corbyn and his imagined motives, it's a good question to ask who would benefit from this act.

Most probable is obviously the Russian government. Main motive here would have been to stir up nationalistic sentiment to ensure Putin achieved an even more comprehensive victory in their presidential elections (though he was a shoo-in to win regardless). Also would serve as a warning to those thinking of selling secrets as well as a big feck you to the west - many countries aligned with NATO are reliant on Russian gas and oil so, but for posturing, nothing they could really do. Another possibility would be a faction of the Russian state organising it even if the orders didn't come from on high. This is less likely for me as, though the oligarchy running the country pretty much consists of a bunch of corrupt crooks, I think they probably have control of most things going on there. You'd have to have pretty big balls to risk pissing off Putin's regime.

So who else could it be? Well, pretty much anybody with the resources to develop a chemical weapons programme. The Russian scientist who worked on developing these so-called novichok substances published a widely-available book discussing the stuff and naming some of their components. It's assumed that Russia created them successfully but the only country it has been reported has actually made the stuff (as an experiment under the supervision of the OPCW) is Iran. I don't really see what they would gain from it, though they obviously aren't fans of the UK for past misdemeanours. They are in coalition with the Russians so can't see why they would want to set them up.

Other alternatives are a false flag attack perpetrated by the UK itself to set up the Russians. Nobody to be hurt but for a useless former Russian spy, good for some sabre rattling before local elections to whip up some patriotism (which helps incumbent governments) and possibly agreed with the Trump administration to help set up the Russians. Seems unlikely to me, not least due to the proximity to Porton Down - I don't think our spooks are stupid enough to stage a chemical attack a stone's throw from there!

Who else? Can't see the French doing it as they are already too busy laughing at the UK. India? Why would they? Pakistan? Ditto. China? They are too busy taking our money to want to upset the apple cart, even given Trump's nascent trade war.

Of them all, I suppose Israel might have an interest as they are no fans of the Russians due to their coalition with Iran and actions in Syria. Doesn't seem likely to me, however, as they know the Yanks have got their back regardless already. I can't see how they would particularly benefit from Cold War Mk. II.

As I've said before, we'll never know for certain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
codcheeky
April 5, 2018, 8:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
The Foreign Secretary has been caught lying on camera and the Foreign Office are deleting tweets, The story has mysteriously disappeared from the BBC and MEN websites. Something is seriously wrong with this story, We are supposedly dealing with a toxic nerve agent, apparently a paramedic have mouth to mouth resuscitation for 10 mins and was not in the least affected but a CID detective who would not be a first responder was . Should we blindly believe that the Government tell us? This smacks of WMDs again
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
Maringer
April 5, 2018, 8:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, that's one thing which seems strange. If it's a military grade nerve agent, why is Skripal's daughter apparently recovering in hospital and now reportedly telling her cousin that her Dad will be fine? These substances are so horribly lethal that any exposure to even a tiny amount would be enough to kill him. It's just not a very coherent story at the moment.

Actually, I've just had a thought. How about this for a scenario? Skripal and daughter poisoned by the Russians (whether the government or a faction) using some sort of a non-lethal toxin then a leak of false 'intelligence' tells the west it was a Russian novichok nerve agent. May & Co are such a bunch of incompetent nitwits that they immediately jump on this and go into full 'blame Russia for WMD attack' despite a lack of evidence.

Who wins? The Russians make the west look very foolish indeed when it is eventually revealed they were poisoned by something more mundane and Putin gets an even bigger bounce.

This scenario would rely on the UK government being utterly incompetent and incapable of dealing with sticky diplomatic situations sensibly. When you consider the clownshoes we're left with in the cabinet at present, it wouldn't be much of a gamble to assume they would make a balls up of it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
KingstonMariner
April 5, 2018, 8:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think you've nailed it Maringer.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
Grim74
April 5, 2018, 9:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
How about May and her EU master hatch a plan that with enough anti Russian propaganda will see the British people support an EU army, we get a watered down Brexit and they get their dirty hands on our Military.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Maringer
April 5, 2018, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Bingo! Bonkers Brexiteer bullshite bingo, that is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
Grim74
April 6, 2018, 1:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Bingo! Bonkers Brexiteer bullshite bingo, that is.

This from the man (take it your a man) who said the EU army was just a right wing scaremongering  ðŸ˜‚

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Maringer
April 6, 2018, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The word we're looking for here is, "Veto". If we didn't want an EU army, we could just have vetoed it, as could any other member of the EU. Can't now, of course.

I still say I'm not sure what all the fuss about it is. Even if there was an EU army, how would this mean the EU "getting its hands on our military"? What does that even mean?

I'd guess you must be extremely anti-NATO as well if you don't like the idea of foreign generals ordering our troops around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 61
Grim74
April 6, 2018, 7:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The word we're looking for here is, "Veto". If we didn't want an EU army, we could just have vetoed it, as could any other member of the EU. Can't now, of course.

I still say I'm not sure what all the fuss about it is. Even if there was an EU army, how would this mean the EU "getting its hands on our military"? What does that even mean?

I'd guess you must be extremely anti-NATO as well if you don't like the idea of foreign generals ordering our troops around.

What you going of topic for I'm not after an EU army debate! I was just reiterating your statement from another time you was incorrect as the EU have confirmed an EU army will happen, it's ok to be wrong now and then  Maringer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
KingstonMariner
April 7, 2018, 12:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Grim74

What you going of topic for I'm not after an EU army debate! I was just reiterating your statement from another time you was incorrect as the EU have confirmed an EU army will happen, it's ok to be wrong now and then  Maringer.

But you missed the point that there wouldn't be one if we vetoed it!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Russia

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.