9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
March 3, 2018, 11:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Obviously, it's complete guesswork at this stage, but I've been trying to work out how jolley will line us up. Although it's hard to know which players he will pick, I think it's possible to make an educated guess of the formation he'll play. From his tactical videos on youtube, it appears he favours a loan striker with wingers. It's how he appears to have lined up with the Swedish team, and he also has videos examining other teams tactics, each of which focus on formations with a front 3. I think we'll also go for a back 5, and aim to press and get the ball our quickly to wing backs and the wingers. Again, this is something specifically he mentions in the malmo video. With that in mind, you imagine hall-johnson will be an important player, as will mills. It's also require quick wingers, so dj and dembele either side of a striker (We've got plenty of them).

I did this post because I actually think such a system has the ability to work for us. It puts less emphasis on our central midfielders having to be too creative, when they are clearly a weak link. I also think mills and hall Johnson are mobile enough to do the job. However, I'd imagine that our central defence might need mixing up a bit, with the new lad from villa, because it's be far too slow otherwise.

Anyway, does anyone else think this could be the Team, or such a formation would work?
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
March 3, 2018, 11:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
The problem is I don't think our players are fit enough to play the high pressing game he likes to play.

Hopefully the team is something like:

McKeown
10 free transfers that we sign in the next week.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 84
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,242
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mariner93er
Obviously, it's complete guesswork at this stage, but I've been trying to work out how jolley will line us up. Although it's hard to know which players he will pick, I think it's possible to make an educated guess of the formation he'll play. From his tactical videos on youtube, it appears he favours a loan striker with wingers. It's how he appears to have lined up with the Swedish team, and he also has videos examining other teams tactics, each of which focus on formations with a front 3. I think we'll also go for a back 5, and aim to press and get the ball our quickly to wing backs and the wingers. Again, this is something specifically he mentions in the malmo video. With that in mind, you imagine hall-johnson will be an important player, as will mills. It's also require quick wingers, so dj and dembele either side of a striker (We've got plenty of them).

I did this post because I actually think such a system has the ability to work for us. It puts less emphasis on our central midfielders having to be too creative, when they are clearly a weak link. I also think mills and hall Johnson are mobile enough to do the job. However, I'd imagine that our central defence might need mixing up a bit, with the new lad from villa, because it's be far too slow otherwise.

Anyway, does anyone else think this could be the Team, or such a formation would work?

Well he has plenty of loan strikers to choose from ...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 84
LH
March 3, 2018, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,505
Gold Stars: 173
The only definites I would choose are:

McKeown in goal.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 84
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,242
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jamesgtfc
The problem is I don't think our players are fit enough to play the high pressing game he likes to play.

Hopefully the team is something like:

McKeown
10 free transfers that we sign in the next week.

You dont have to be as fit to play a high pressing game as in theory you play the game in a much smaller area of the pitch, ie the oppositions third. Less ground to cover, our current set sees us playing deep and isolating the strikers as the midfield are sat midway in our half, this means when we get the ball up we lose it quickly, surrendering possesion or if we do manage to hold the ball  the midfield have alot of ground to cover to support.
As you say though though pressing high exposes our slow defence to a ball over the top.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 84
Grantley
March 3, 2018, 11:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Mckeown
Davies
Clarke (C)
Collins
Dixon
Woolford
Summerfield
Berrett
Rose
Matt
Hooper

Jordan Magrew
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 84
Teestogreen
March 3, 2018, 11:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -152
Gold Stars: 23
I think that what is inhibiting Town is not being able to release the full backs over the halfway line - as the covering centre backs are not mobile enough.
Mills is a good player (he had to change sides after Dixon injury) and Hall Johnson showed signs today after coming on. But we didn't see any of them attack down the flanks today.
So, now is the time to introduce the young Aston Villa centre back - giving him the responsibility of sweeping - and enabling release of the wing backs.
This should enable Town to create more chances for goals. In it to win it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 84
Maringer
March 3, 2018, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,499
Gold Stars: 185
Jaiyesimi and Dembele aren't quick, so the plan for quick wingers falls at the first hurdle. I reckon Kelly is our quickest winger (not saying a great deal) but I don't imagine he'll be near the team.

If he's going to play 4-3-3, the front 3 will probably have to be Matt or Cardwell (or Vernon?) as the leading man with Jaiyesimi and Vernam as the other two forwards.

I wouldn't play Dembele as he's been awful every time he's appeared over the past few months. Might be down to his reported back problem, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team at present.

I think sticking Mills at left-back and Hall-Johnson at right-back is a good idea to make the team a bit quicker. Not sure about the lad on loan from Aston Villa - some are saying put him in, but we've never seen him play and he may not be up to the job at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 84
MarinerRob
March 3, 2018, 11:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

What happened to our fitness coach? If he is still with Town what has he been doing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 84
Mariner93er
March 3, 2018, 11:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
In a way, dj or dembele don't need to quick. They need the acceleration and confidence to cut inside. It's the responsibility of the wing backs to stretch the game on either side.

I think the following team would work:

Mckeown

Clarke/Osbourne  Suliman collins
Hall-johnson                                                   mills
                          Rose        Summerfield
Dembele                                                            dj
                                  Vernam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 84
TAGG
March 3, 2018, 11:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Anyone else’s team

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 84
ginnywings
March 3, 2018, 11:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I'm hoping he does something so radical that the opposition are totally bamboozled. Port Vale will have had us watched and most teams will know how we play by now and what our weaknesses are. They don't focus on our strengths because we haven't any. Hoping he catches the opposition out and gets a few points before the other teams cotton on.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 84
Abdul19
March 3, 2018, 11:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
I see what Maringer is saying about Suliman - and obviously I've never seen him play either, but if he offers less than Clarke and Osborne have over the last few weeks then he might as well quit now and become a binman.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 84
ginnywings
March 4, 2018, 12:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19
I see what Maringer is saying about Suliman - and obviously I've never seen him play either, but if he offers less than Clarke and Osborne have over the last few weeks then he might as well quit now and become a binman.

I've no doubt he has talent, but i doubt he will have played against many Tom Pope types. Big ask for a young pro but fook it, what have we to lose?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 84
Tommy
March 4, 2018, 12:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
See a lot of people saying he prefers a 433 and a high press etc.

What we see on Saturday might not actually be what he wants to build here, but what he thinks might be the best system/tactics to get us a result on the day.

Whether that's something to compensate for our weakness, something to exploit a Port Vale weakness or just something that fits the players at his disposal, I'm sure he'll have a specific plan.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 84
arryarryarry
March 4, 2018, 12:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Grantley
Mckeown
Davies
Clarke (C)
Collins
Dixon
Woolford
Summerfield
Berrett
Rose
Matt
Hooper

If he was to pick that team, I would start a thread at 2.00pm on Saturday :-

Jolley out.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 84
AdamHaddock
March 4, 2018, 12:17am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
             McKeown
Mills Collins Suliman Davies
      Summerfield McAllister
Dembele Clifton Vernham
              Cardwell

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 84
TAGG
March 4, 2018, 12:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Tommy
See a lot of people saying he prefers a 433 and a high press etc.

What we see on Saturday might not actually be what he wants to build here, but what he thinks might be the best system/tactics to get us a result on the day.

Whether that's something to compensate for our weakness, something to exploit a Port Vale weakness or just something that fits the players at his disposal, I'm sure he'll have a specific plan.

Jolly can’t  even think about what he can build here for now.
He needs to think one game at a time.
If by a miracle he can keep us up then he can think of what’s next.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 84
fiveallive
March 4, 2018, 2:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Mckeown

Davies / Hall - Johnson
Suliman
Collins
Mills

Clifton
Summerfield
Rose

Dembele
Vernam
DJ.

Killip
Osborne
Davies / Hall - Johnson
McAllister
Kelly
Cardwell
Matt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 84
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2018, 6:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from LH
The only definites I would choose are:

McKeown in goal.

Yet young Killip never did any worse than Macca both keepers have made decent saves but the defenders were not alert enough to stop the second efforts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 84
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2018, 6:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grantley
Mckeown
Davies
Clarke (C)
Collins
Dixon
Woolford
Summerfield
Berrett
Rose
Matt
Hooper

This is a pisstake right?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 84
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2018, 6:51am
Whiskey Drinker
                                                                                McKeown or Killip
                                                             Mills                      Collins                       Davies
                                                           Summerfield                                  McAllister
                                                              Dembele             Clifton            D.J

Vernham
                                                                                        Cardwell

Got to attack now wins are what we need to get safe this team can get behind opposition Veenham as the ability to be a playmaker and score goals him and Cardwell need to bond the wingmen both have skill and enough pace to get around the back of defenses the midfield of Summers, Mcalister, and Clifton should be strong enough. The back three are the best we have albeit the new lad looks decent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 84
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2018, 7:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm hoping he does something so radical that the opposition are totally bamboozled. Port Vale will have had us watched and most teams will know how we play by now and what our weaknesses are. They don't focus on our strengths because we haven't any. Hoping he catches the opposition out and gets a few points before the other teams cotton on.  

LOL for ANY opposing team it's easier two speedy wingers, backline push up, decent jack in the box striker game over.

Seriously he has to show intent and attack we need wins and you won't do that by playing the safe options as we have already proven since boxing day it just is not working.

Only wins will get us out of this shitfield we have to attack. attack, attack it's all he can do now if we are going down lets feckin do it with a fight nothing to lose now for Jolly.

Yes Fenty well done you mug you have done it again and hoping Jolly will save your bacon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 84
Jarmo.Is.God
March 4, 2018, 7:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Any update on Wilks and Jackson?  

Macca
Hall-johnson Collins suliman mills
Dembele Clifton McAlister Wilks
                   Vernam jackson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 84
ex-merseymariner
March 4, 2018, 7:50am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Mckeown
Mills suliman Collins dixon
HallJohnson Clifton summerfield dj
Matt vernam
Subs... Killip davies clarke rose cardwell dembele hooper

I've got tired of people selecting mcallister..... if he's not involved on sat surely we can give up on him totally.  Perhaps matt dean or jt can ask what the situation is!?!?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 84
Gaffer58
March 4, 2018, 7:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Macca in goal, then just pop down to the Stagecoach depot and get 10 bus drivers to just " park the bus" only way we will not concede.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 84
H19P1
March 4, 2018, 8:03am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Let's hope MJ will share similar thoughts to us with what was on show and shake things up big style.

We start again on Sat with MJ needing x amount of points with his tally starting on 0.

Good luck MJ and do what you can with this bunch the Summer is all yours to build something new.

First job is to keep us up 👆🏻 we have your back go get em
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 84
Stew0_0
March 4, 2018, 8:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
                             Mckeown

Mills           Suliman         Collins    Reece Johnson

Dembele    McAllister  Summerfield   Jayesimi

Vernum

Matt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 84
Bigdog
March 4, 2018, 8:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
Jaiyesimi and Dembele aren't quick, so the plan for quick wingers falls at the first hurdle. I reckon Kelly is our quickest winger (not saying a great deal) but I don't imagine he'll be near the team.

If he's going to play 4-3-3, the front 3 will probably have to be Matt or Cardwell (or Vernon?) as the leading man with Jaiyesimi and Vernam as the other two forwards.

I wouldn't play Dembele as he's been awful every time he's appeared over the past few months. Might be down to his reported back problem, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team at present.

I think sticking Mills at left-back and Hall-Johnson at right-back is a good idea to make the team a bit quicker. Not sure about the lad on loan from Aston Villa - some are saying put him in, but we've never seen him play and he may not be up to the job at present.

I wouldn't play either wide, they need to be closer centrally to the striker if there's one up top, floating around in little pockets around their centre halves and in and around the box. Our full backs need to provide the width with one CM holding..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 84
Mariner_09
March 4, 2018, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Given what he has I whould go

Macca
RHJ        Suliman         Collins    Davies
Dembele Summerfield Clifton       DJ
               Wilks (if fit)    Vernam

I am beyond understanding what Clarke, Dixon and Berrett do to get in the team, likewise Matt ans Rose have been garbage recently, DJ and Dembele are very, very quick from a standing start and can both beat men over short distances and have a trick. Would play both as they both offer miles more than Kelly, Woolford or Berrett in that position.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 84
Mrs Doyle
March 4, 2018, 9:07am
Whiskey Drinker
How many loan players are allowed on the field?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 84
Bigdog
March 4, 2018, 9:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09
Given what he has I whould go

Macca
RHJ        Suliman         Collins    Davies
Dembele Summerfield Clifton       DJ
               Wilks (if fit)    Vernam

I am beyond understanding what Clarke, Dixon and Berrett do to get in the team, likewise Matt ans Rose have been garbage recently, DJ and Dembele are very, very quick from a standing start and can both beat men over short distances and have a trick. Would play both as they both offer miles more than Kelly, Woolford or Berrett in that position.

That central midfield going to dominate games 09? Against a midfield three which is more common these days? Or even against a midfield two? Seen loads of 4-4-2s posted, probably harking back to the golden Buckley era. The game's moved on so much from then..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 84
Mariner93er
March 4, 2018, 9:17am
Cocktail Drinker
I doubt we'll see a 442. It's not popular in the modern game, and as I said, all the tactical things I can find on jolley  indicate he prefers 433 or 5221. I think we have to move away from 442 as we simply don't have the ability to play it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 84
Abdul19
March 4, 2018, 9:21am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
How many loan players are allowed on the field?

5 in the matchday 18.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 84
Abdul19
March 4, 2018, 9:30am

Season Ticket Holder
McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Suliman
Collins
Mills

McAllister
Summerfield
Clifton

Jaiyesimi
Vernam
Dembele

(Assuming Jackson and Wilks aren't fit)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 84
RoboCod
March 4, 2018, 9:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Abdul19
McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Suliman
Collins
Mills

McAllister
Summerfield
Clifton

Jaiyesimi
Vernam
Dembele

You forget the obligatory '?' after 'McAllister'  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 84
golfer
March 4, 2018, 9:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,430
Quoted from MarinerRob

What happened to our fitness coach? If he is still with Town what has he been doing?

Still doing those stupid exercises that only he can understand. When our players try to do them they are more confused than trying to understand tactics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 84
oldun
March 4, 2018, 10:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
MJ has seen the team play 3 games now with the same outcome at each one. So hopefully he can work a little bit of magic and help us nick a 1-0 win on Sat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 84
Ipswin
March 4, 2018, 10:46am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mariner93er
In a way, dj or dembele don't need to quick. They need the acceleration and confidence to cut inside. It's the responsibility of the wing backs to stretch the game on either side.

I think the following team would work:

Mckeown

Clarke/Osbourne  Suliman collins
Hall-johnson                                                   mills
                          Rose        Summerfield
Dembele                                                            dj
                                  Vernam

Like this let's just hope Jolley agrees with you

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 84
OneLove
March 4, 2018, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from AdamHaddock
             McKeown
      Summerfield McAllister
Dembele Clifton Vernham
              Cardwell

this is a team we've been crying out for all season and would win games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 84
Rodley Mariner
March 4, 2018, 10:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Having Jackson and Wilks back would make it a hell of a lot easier to pick a team. Dembele is barely fit/woefully out of form. Vernam looks to have something but he's a 10 and needs someone in front of him. Those available to play 9 don't look up to it but maybe Jackson offers a bit more?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 84
Tommy
March 4, 2018, 11:00am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
MJ knows we are having a major drought so will need to find a way to beat it. It doesn't have to be a thriller on Saturday,  it could even be a bad game for all I care as long as we get 3 points.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 84
Abdul19
March 4, 2018, 11:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from RoboCod

You forget the obligatory '?' after 'McAllister'  

It's my team and he's in, however many legs he can stand on

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 84
RoboCod
March 4, 2018, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

It's my team and he's in, however many legs he can stand on

given the other options I entirely agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 84
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 11:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
My view is we need to open up the game a bit so 4 - 4 - 2 is a bit restrictive, 3 - 5 - 2 enables the full backs to get forward and in behind but in all honesty I don't think there is a Town player who could cross a road at the moments so for me

Macca

Mills   Sulliman   Collins (C)   Hall B

McAlister   Summerfield   Clifton    

Demblle      Verman      DJ

The shape and personnel might even mean we have to play the ball on the ground.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 84
Mariner93er
March 4, 2018, 11:31am
Cocktail Drinker
I don't think we have enough ability in midfield to play a 3 in there. Summerfield apart, no one can play a pass, and it's a lot to expect Clifton to help dominate the central areas when he's played one league game. My god I don't envy jolley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 84
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 11:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
what a good thread. Be interesting to see what he does.I wonder if Vernon might come into the equation alongside vernham .the latter must surely play he looks the brightest spark by far. I wonder if he might surprise us .maybe something like Davies or wool Ford in central midfield i.e.
something pretty left field
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 84
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 12:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
what a good thread. Be interesting to see what he does.I wonder if Vernon might come into the equation alongside vernham .the latter must surely play he looks the brightest spark by far. I wonder if he might surprise us .maybe something like Davies or wool Ford in central midfield i.e.
something pretty left field

Yes very interesting Forza, though I would like to see something really attacking I imagine he'll be parametric. When Verman arrived from Derby he did say that he liked to play off a hold up man, Vernon is arguably better than Matt at that. I can't remember which home game it was but Slade played Woolford at the base of a diamond for the last 15 mins and he possibly had more influence on the team than in the whole of his other minutes on the pitch. I would prefer not to see either Vernon or Woolford in  Town shirt again but Michael is better qualified than all of us and may just see something different.        

Ultimately he's seen us 3 times now apparently and he'll no doubt be all over the analysis and the DVD's before he arrives at Cheapside tomorrow. All being well he'll be looking at Port Vale this week too.

I hope his selection is based on a proper game plan and he picks a side based on what he has seen so far and who has showed up in training this week. If he can do that and just get his message across to the players as simply put as possible we just might get a result.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 84
golfer
March 4, 2018, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,430
Having McCallister in your team seems like grasping at straws. You wouldn't back a horse if it had broken down and hadn't run for 500 days no matter how good it used to be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 84
RoboCod
March 4, 2018, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes very interesting Forza, though I would like to see something really attacking I imagine he'll be parametric. When Verman arrived from Derby he did say that he liked to play off a hold up man, Vernon is arguably better than Matt at that. I can't remember which home game it was but Slade played Woolford at the base of a diamond for the last 15 mins and he possibly had more influence on the team than in the whole of his other minutes on the pitch. I would prefer not to see either Vernon or Woolford in  Town shirt again but Michael is better qualified than all of us and may just see something different.        

Ultimately he's seen us 3 times now apparently and he'll no doubt be all over the analysis and the DVD's before he arrives at Cheapside tomorrow. All being well he'll be looking at Port Vale this week too.

I hope his selection is based on a proper game plan and he picks a side based on what he has seen so far and who has showed up in training this week. If he can do that and just get his message across to the players as simply put as possible we just might get a result.

Disagree a little about Vernon. For me he's one of those who's suffered most from Slade tactics, he's never going to grab a bucket load of goals but I do honestly think Vernon could be a part of a more successful goal scoring attack. MJ will soon sort these issues and we'll get a better picture.

Matt can have his loan cancelled for me, he looks a beaten man after 15 minutes and seems to have actually developed his clumsiness further in recent months, rather than getting better. Woolford just looks half-ar$ed.
I regretfully feel the situation is beyond just shuffling the pack, a mini player cull is required.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 84
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Disagree a little about Vernon. For me he's one of those who's suffered most from Slade tactics, he's never going to grab a bucket load of goals but I do honestly think Vernon could be a part of a more successful goal scoring attack. MJ will soon sort these issues and we'll get a better picture.

Matt can have his loan cancelled for me, he looks a beaten man after 15 minutes and seems to have actually developed his clumsiness further in recent months, rather than getting better. Woolford just looks half-ar$ed.
I regretfully feel the situation is beyond just shuffling the pack, a mini player cull is required.

That's a fair point to be honest he looks better when it comes in to feet so hoof it in the air to the hold up man will never work for him. Also you would hope he feels he has a point to prove after Cambridge.

Regardless of where we play next season I don't expect to see many of these players again. The only one I would keep of the lads who's deals are up is Macca, and possibly Summers. The problem is that we have a bot of dead wood who have another year, good look with that one!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 84
Grimal
March 4, 2018, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Quoted from Abdul19
McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Suliman
Collins
Mills

McAllister
Summerfield
Clifton

Jaiyesimi
Vernam
Dembele

That's the starting 11  I would go with if all fit. Would be great to see no Dixon,hooper, Berrett and Matt anywhere near the starting 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 84
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 1:03pm

Exile
couple of points is there a reserve game this week or would be able to arrange enclosed doors friendly in that short a time?
Also if he is able to motivate players I wonder if we might see hooper playing against his old club .he's obviously got some ability and with a point to prove and a new manager to impress we might even get to see the real hooper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 84
jonnyboy82
March 4, 2018, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For me we need to change it big time on Saturday..

Macca
Mills
Suliman
Collins
Davies
McAllister
Rose
Dembele
Jayisemi
Clifton
Vernam

A 4231 with rose and McAllister sitting , dembele Clifton  Jayisemi behind vernam.

I'm not sure he will go for this but I hope to god he makes big changes.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 84
pontoonlew
March 4, 2018, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Maringer

I'm sorry but if Dembele is fit he needs to come back. For me it's no coincidence that losing Dembele has almost directly fallen alongside our streak without a win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 4, 2018, 2:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
I don’t think you will see massive changes in selection, but there will be a change in the approach. They will try to press by closing up from the back to get the midfield in front of the ball in the attacking third. How successful it can be is debatable because players seem to have muscle memory that makes them sink back into old ways at the first sign of trouble.

Strikers? Perm any 2 from 7. I don’t think any of them is a proper goal scorer, just journeymen runners of the channels. No side can afford to have more than one of those in the team, you must have someone who scuffs in the chances other strikers don’t see.

I am sure that Wilki as an ex-striker of quality will have coached them, cajoled them, cosseted them and cursed them but you can’t make a silk purse out of ......

The one thing we really do need is a giant dollop of the luck that deserts teams when they go on the slide. We haven’t had any and it’s time we did get the run of the ball and the referee as well.

It might have been Cloughie who said successful managers fell into 3 groups - the good, the lucky and the lucky and good. I’ll settle for Jolley being lucky to start with, he can get good later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 84
Mariner_09
March 4, 2018, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Well we were given a very dubious penalty last week against Exeter and missed it. Luton were down to 10 men for over an hour and still couldn’t create anything. Basically we aren’t good enough which ever way you cut it.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 84
Abdul19
March 4, 2018, 2:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from forza ivano
Also if he is able to motivate players I wonder if we might see hooper playing against his old club .he's obviously got some ability and with a point to prove and a new manager to impress we might even get to see the real hooper

Do you remember Conlon v Bradford?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 84
MarinerDevil
March 4, 2018, 3:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,740
Gold Stars: 80
                                     McKeown

Suliman             Clarke              Collins

RHJ                                                            Davies/Mills
                      Summerfield         Rose

Vernam

Dembele               DJ

I like the idea of three at the back to free up the wing backs of RHJ and one of Davies or Mills (but certainly not Dixon), which is our only chance of some genuine width going forward.  I always find that Dembele and DJ prefer to drift inside and are much better at occupying pockets of space in-between the opposition's centre halves, so why not deploy them as out and out forwards?  It would give us some much needed movement when we pick up the ball in the centre circle.  

Vernam is definitely our most technical player and should play as an advanced midfielder (no 10).  This will allow us to press from the front and provide creativity in the gap between their defence and midfield.  Summerfield and Rose would act as 'spoilers', breaking up the play and covering the space vacated by our wing backs when they go forwards.

If Dembele isn't fit enough to last the full 90 then we could introduce Vernon to attempt to hold the ball in the opposition half.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 84
ginnywings
March 4, 2018, 3:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The only two players i have seen recently that look like they can play a bit of football are Vernam and RHJ. We have them both on the bench and stick with the old lags like Berrett and Dixon. I often wonder what goes through the mind of management. Is Suliman here as a last resort centre back in case of injuries, or is he capable of doing a job? What was the point of bringing him in?

I really hope Davies is fit for the run in and Dembele can get a bit of his spark back. We also need Jackson and Wilks back sharpish to give us a bit of pace and nous up top. I still believe Vernon could do a better job than Matt. Think i could do a better job than Matt to be honest. He looked fairly good for a while, but now looks completely shot. Cardwell isn't affecting games at all and has been fairly anonymous, so i think his time may be up for this season too. Doesn't leave much scope for the forward line does it?

I'm interested to see what MJ comes up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 84
sonofmadeleymariner
March 4, 2018, 4:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
If everyone is fit.        

Macca

Mills   Suliman  Collins   Davies/Hall-Johnson

Summerfield   Rose Clifton

Wilks    Vernam   DJ

Subs. Kilip, Osbourne, Hall-Johnson/Davies, Dembele, McCallister, Cardwell and Jackson

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 84
lee65
March 4, 2018, 4:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Quoted from AdamHaddock
             McKeown
      Summerfield McAllister
Dembele Clifton Vernham
              Cardwell

That's the sort of team for me Adam, we could argue about the odd one, eg. RHJ for Davies (then switch Mills to LB), or Rose for one of CMF, but the general principle HAS to be right

Why could Wilko not see that??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 84
Maringer
March 4, 2018, 4:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
No doubt that Vernam looked his best playing as a 10, slightly behind the forward(s). If we're going to play 3 up front, does he play in behind a front two or as one of two just behind a lone striker? Do we have midfielders who could play in a three? Summerfield, Rose and Berrett/Clifton don't really strike you as a dominant midfield force. If we play a 4-3-3, I'd certainly like to see Mills on the left with Hall-Johnson on the right as they ought to have a bit more pace to help to cover for a midfield three.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 84
Posh Harry
March 4, 2018, 4:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,360
Gold Stars: 35
In 62 posts and numerous team options not one person has Berrett even in the squad,never mind the team. NOT ONE PERSON (I am taking Grantley’s team with a huge pinch of salt).

Only one person has Dixon in the side.

I look forward to the team sheet at 2pm next Saturday.

If those 2 are in the team then I am going to turn my device off as it might well explode!!

I hope MJ has signed up to the fishy.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 84
easypeersy
March 4, 2018, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Win on Saturday and we are only 18 points off the play offs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 84
MuddyWaters
March 4, 2018, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,239
Gold Stars: 235
McAllister has to play if he's fit enough to play in a central midfield 3. He intimates that he's fit, as far as I'm aware he didn't get injured at York and he's better than anything else we've got for centre mid. I know there's several ifs in there but desperate times etc.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 84
Gaffer58
March 4, 2018, 9:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Although Jolley has seen the last 3 games I assume he will be asking Wilko for advice, also he can only go on what he see's in training, and as I've mentioned in a previous thread even I would look good training with our lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 84
pontoonlew
March 4, 2018, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Problem is, I've no doubt Jolley didn't know too much about our squad before he joined. Now he's going to have Wilko there advising for the first few weeks at least and he's as useless as Slade.

All the more reason for him to do the decent thing and walk himself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 84
Sigone
March 4, 2018, 9:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Quoted from forza ivano
couple of points is there a reserve game this week

At home to Morecambe on Tuesday. 2 p.m k.o.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 84
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
McAllister has to play if he's fit enough to play in a central midfield 3. He intimates that he's fit, as far as I'm aware he didn't get injured at York and he's better than anything else we've got for centre mid. I know there's several ifs in there but desperate times etc.

As MJ has a soft spot for Sheff Wednesday he’ll know all about McAllister for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 84
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 10:55pm

Exile
Quoted from Sigone

At home to Morecambe on Tuesday. 2 p.m k.o.

That might be one of the more interesting reserve games to attend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 84
ginnywings
March 4, 2018, 10:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

That might be one of the more interesting reserve games to attend

I'll be in attendance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 84
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 11:01pm

Exile
a match thread might be in order Ginny depending on the line up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 84
ginnywings
March 4, 2018, 11:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano
a match thread might be in order Ginny depending on the line up

Yeah, possibly. Unless they play all the kids again, which is what has been happening, much to my bafflement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 84
March 4, 2018, 11:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from Grantley
Mckeown
Davies
Clarke (C)
Collins
Dixon
Woolford
Summerfield
Berrett
Rose
Matt
Hooper

Thanks for your input Russell.
Reply: 74 - 84
Grantley
March 4, 2018, 11:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
That XI will do fine! They just need to work harder. And go back to basics. And do a lot of other things which I’m not sure are achievable.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 84
dapperz fun pub
March 5, 2018, 7:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
MJ as seen us play 3 times he’s a intellectual so surely that’s Clarke Dixon and Berret finished in a town shirt and possibly a couple of others. But like Russell so elequantly pointed out to a guy at the forum when questioned on Clarke over Pearson that’s your opinion ....let’s hope Michael can see the obvious
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 84
Abdul19
March 5, 2018, 7:35am

Season Ticket Holder
Maybe Jolley will have a Carlos Carvalhal-esque effect and turn Clarke, Dixon and Berrett into quality performers?

(And maybe I've kicked off my Monday morning with a high dosage of crack)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 84
dapperz fun pub
March 5, 2018, 7:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
[quote=130]Maybe Jolley will have a Carlos Carvalhal-esque effect and turn Clarke, Dixon and Berrett into quality performers?

Let's hope so

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 84
mariner chopper
March 5, 2018, 9:41am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
IF EVERYONE FIT

Mckeown
RHJ - Collins - Suliman - Mills
Dembele - Rose - Clifton - DJ
Jackson - Wilks

Bench
Killip
Clarke
Davies
McCallister
Summerfield
Vernam
Matt/Hooper/Cardwell (Any of the 3)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 5, 2018, 1:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
We can fart about with formations and players but in the end we have to face a very daunting fact - there are 10 games and we need at the very least 15 goals, assuming the defence does not capitulate. That Is a desperate situation.

Now, there are some very good ideas on this thread for making a team to creat chances but .......... hand on heart ........ who if anyone do people think is going to turn those chances into goals? To me that is the crucial issue. Not one of the strikers has looked as though they are genuine goal scorers.

In fact there is a lot more chance of getting a decent striker from a box of Swan Vestas or signing Bryant and May on loan than finding one  in the Town squad.

So Jolley has a very difficult task. However well he gets the side to push up and pressure, it is still down to goals in the end. Is there anyone, anywhere in the club who might be better than the ones we’ve tried?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 84
Maringer
March 5, 2018, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nah, 3 or 4 goals might be enough to do it if we somehow could learn how to grind out some 1-0 victories overnight.

Not overly likely, the way things have been going, but you never know.

Pretty simple, really - we've got to make it more difficult to score against us and then make sure we take more of our chances when they come our way. Easier said than done, obviously!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 84
Mariner_09
March 5, 2018, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Seriously 3 1-0 victories against Port Vale, Chesterfield and Barnet would do the trick I'm certain. It won't happen because we can't score 1 goal a game even.

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 84
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 3:38pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
We all know about the upturn is results and performances when MJ took over rat AFC Eskilstuna, and however it would be interesting to know if he dramatically changed the starting XI when he took over OR did he use largely the same team that had been so poor previously but managed to get more out of them?

Someone mentioned Carvahal at Swansea and he's a good example of a manager who's come in and turned results around without changing the personnel too much. Sometimes it just take a change in thinking/system/motivation/mindset to get that extra 10% out of players that could prove the difference.

I don't necessarily think we'll see a massive overhaul of the starting XI on Saturday, but what we will see is a different system that plays to the strengths of the players we have whilst exploiting the weaknesses of the opposition.

One things that's very clear about Michael Jolley is that he's a diligent, highly educated manager with an emphasis on attention to detail.

You can bet he'll be watching hours of footage of the opposition and forensically analysing them, identifying trends and weaknesses and devising game plans around that, rather than what seemed to be Russel Slades tactics of a 'one size fits all' approach with very little differentiation from game to game.

It all points to an exciting future for GTFC in my opinion 😁

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 84
hheh2
March 5, 2018, 4:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
If we can survive I will be happy. It is amazing what a new season can bring when you have forward thinking manager. Let's hope we can get some positive results under Jolley I want him to succeed.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 84
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for port vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.