9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner93er
March 3, 2018, 11:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Obviously, it's complete guesswork at this stage, but I've been trying to work out how jolley will line us up. Although it's hard to know which players he will pick, I think it's possible to make an educated guess of the formation he'll play. From his tactical videos on youtube, it appears he favours a loan striker with wingers. It's how he appears to have lined up with the Swedish team, and he also has videos examining other teams tactics, each of which focus on formations with a front 3. I think we'll also go for a back 5, and aim to press and get the ball our quickly to wing backs and the wingers. Again, this is something specifically he mentions in the malmo video. With that in mind, you imagine hall-johnson will be an important player, as will mills. It's also require quick wingers, so dj and dembele either side of a striker (We've got plenty of them).

I did this post because I actually think such a system has the ability to work for us. It puts less emphasis on our central midfielders having to be too creative, when they are clearly a weak link. I also think mills and hall Johnson are mobile enough to do the job. However, I'd imagine that our central defence might need mixing up a bit, with the new lad from villa, because it's be far too slow otherwise.

Anyway, does anyone else think this could be the Team, or such a formation would work?
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
March 3, 2018, 11:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
The problem is I don't think our players are fit enough to play the high pressing game he likes to play.

Hopefully the team is something like:

McKeown
10 free transfers that we sign in the next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 84
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Mariner93er
Obviously, it's complete guesswork at this stage, but I've been trying to work out how jolley will line us up. Although it's hard to know which players he will pick, I think it's possible to make an educated guess of the formation he'll play. From his tactical videos on youtube, it appears he favours a loan striker with wingers. It's how he appears to have lined up with the Swedish team, and he also has videos examining other teams tactics, each of which focus on formations with a front 3. I think we'll also go for a back 5, and aim to press and get the ball our quickly to wing backs and the wingers. Again, this is something specifically he mentions in the malmo video. With that in mind, you imagine hall-johnson will be an important player, as will mills. It's also require quick wingers, so dj and dembele either side of a striker (We've got plenty of them).

I did this post because I actually think such a system has the ability to work for us. It puts less emphasis on our central midfielders having to be too creative, when they are clearly a weak link. I also think mills and hall Johnson are mobile enough to do the job. However, I'd imagine that our central defence might need mixing up a bit, with the new lad from villa, because it's be far too slow otherwise.

Anyway, does anyone else think this could be the Team, or such a formation would work?

Well he has plenty of loan strikers to choose from ...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 84
LH
March 3, 2018, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
The only definites I would choose are:

McKeown in goal.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 84
moosey_club
March 3, 2018, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jamesgtfc
The problem is I don't think our players are fit enough to play the high pressing game he likes to play.

Hopefully the team is something like:

McKeown
10 free transfers that we sign in the next week.

You dont have to be as fit to play a high pressing game as in theory you play the game in a much smaller area of the pitch, ie the oppositions third. Less ground to cover, our current set sees us playing deep and isolating the strikers as the midfield are sat midway in our half, this means when we get the ball up we lose it quickly, surrendering possesion or if we do manage to hold the ball  the midfield have alot of ground to cover to support.
As you say though though pressing high exposes our slow defence to a ball over the top.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 84
Grantley
March 3, 2018, 11:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Mckeown
Davies
Clarke (C)
Collins
Dixon
Woolford
Summerfield
Berrett
Rose
Matt
Hooper

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 84
Teestogreen
March 3, 2018, 11:34pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
I think that what is inhibiting Town is not being able to release the full backs over the halfway line - as the covering centre backs are not mobile enough.
Mills is a good player (he had to change sides after Dixon injury) and Hall Johnson showed signs today after coming on. But we didn't see any of them attack down the flanks today.
So, now is the time to introduce the young Aston Villa centre back - giving him the responsibility of sweeping - and enabling release of the wing backs.
This should enable Town to create more chances for goals. In it to win it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 84
Maringer
March 3, 2018, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Jaiyesimi and Dembele aren't quick, so the plan for quick wingers falls at the first hurdle. I reckon Kelly is our quickest winger (not saying a great deal) but I don't imagine he'll be near the team.

If he's going to play 4-3-3, the front 3 will probably have to be Matt or Cardwell (or Vernon?) as the leading man with Jaiyesimi and Vernam as the other two forwards.

I wouldn't play Dembele as he's been awful every time he's appeared over the past few months. Might be down to his reported back problem, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team at present.

I think sticking Mills at left-back and Hall-Johnson at right-back is a good idea to make the team a bit quicker. Not sure about the lad on loan from Aston Villa - some are saying put him in, but we've never seen him play and he may not be up to the job at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 84
MarinerRob
March 3, 2018, 11:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted Text

What happened to our fitness coach? If he is still with Town what has he been doing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 84
Mariner93er
March 3, 2018, 11:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
In a way, dj or dembele don't need to quick. They need the acceleration and confidence to cut inside. It's the responsibility of the wing backs to stretch the game on either side.

I think the following team would work:

Mckeown

Clarke/Osbourne  Suliman collins
Hall-johnson                                                   mills
                          Rose        Summerfield
Dembele                                                            dj
                                  Vernam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 84
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for port vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.