9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 5, 2018, 1:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
We can fart about with formations and players but in the end we have to face a very daunting fact - there are 10 games and we need at the very least 15 goals, assuming the defence does not capitulate. That Is a desperate situation.

Now, there are some very good ideas on this thread for making a team to creat chances but .......... hand on heart ........ who if anyone do people think is going to turn those chances into goals? To me that is the crucial issue. Not one of the strikers has looked as though they are genuine goal scorers.

In fact there is a lot more chance of getting a decent striker from a box of Swan Vestas or signing Bryant and May on loan than finding one  in the Town squad.

So Jolley has a very difficult task. However well he gets the side to push up and pressure, it is still down to goals in the end. Is there anyone, anywhere in the club who might be better than the ones we’ve tried?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 84
Maringer
March 5, 2018, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Nah, 3 or 4 goals might be enough to do it if we somehow could learn how to grind out some 1-0 victories overnight.

Not overly likely, the way things have been going, but you never know.

Pretty simple, really - we've got to make it more difficult to score against us and then make sure we take more of our chances when they come our way. Easier said than done, obviously!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 84
Mariner_09
March 5, 2018, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Seriously 3 1-0 victories against Port Vale, Chesterfield and Barnet would do the trick I'm certain. It won't happen because we can't score 1 goal a game even.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 84
Mighty_Mariner
March 5, 2018, 3:38pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
We all know about the upturn is results and performances when MJ took over rat AFC Eskilstuna, and however it would be interesting to know if he dramatically changed the starting XI when he took over OR did he use largely the same team that had been so poor previously but managed to get more out of them?

Someone mentioned Carvahal at Swansea and he's a good example of a manager who's come in and turned results around without changing the personnel too much. Sometimes it just take a change in thinking/system/motivation/mindset to get that extra 10% out of players that could prove the difference.

I don't necessarily think we'll see a massive overhaul of the starting XI on Saturday, but what we will see is a different system that plays to the strengths of the players we have whilst exploiting the weaknesses of the opposition.

One things that's very clear about Michael Jolley is that he's a diligent, highly educated manager with an emphasis on attention to detail.

You can bet he'll be watching hours of footage of the opposition and forensically analysing them, identifying trends and weaknesses and devising game plans around that, rather than what seemed to be Russel Slades tactics of a 'one size fits all' approach with very little differentiation from game to game.

It all points to an exciting future for GTFC in my opinion 😁

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 84
hheh2
March 5, 2018, 4:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
If we can survive I will be happy. It is amazing what a new season can bring when you have forward thinking manager. Let's hope we can get some positive results under Jolley I want him to succeed.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for port vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.