HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from RoboCod

Disagree a little about Vernon. For me he's one of those who's suffered most from Slade tactics, he's never going to grab a bucket load of goals but I do honestly think Vernon could be a part of a more successful goal scoring attack. MJ will soon sort these issues and we'll get a better picture.

Matt can have his loan cancelled for me, he looks a beaten man after 15 minutes and seems to have actually developed his clumsiness further in recent months, rather than getting better. Woolford just looks half-ar$ed.
I regretfully feel the situation is beyond just shuffling the pack, a mini player cull is required.

That's a fair point to be honest he looks better when it comes in to feet so hoof it in the air to the hold up man will never work for him. Also you would hope he feels he has a point to prove after Cambridge.

Regardless of where we play next season I don't expect to see many of these players again. The only one I would keep of the lads who's deals are up is Macca, and possibly Summers. The problem is that we have a bot of dead wood who have another year, good look with that one!  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 84
Grimal
March 4, 2018, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Abdul19
McKeown

Hall-Johnson
Suliman
Collins
Mills

McAllister
Summerfield
Clifton

Jaiyesimi
Vernam
Dembele

(Assuming Jackson and Wilks aren't fit)

That's the starting 11  I would go with if all fit. Would be great to see no Dixon,hooper, Berrett and Matt anywhere near the starting 11.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 84
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 1:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
couple of points is there a reserve game this week or would be able to arrange enclosed doors friendly in that short a time?
Also if he is able to motivate players I wonder if we might see hooper playing against his old club .he's obviously got some ability and with a point to prove and a new manager to impress we might even get to see the real hooper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 84
jonnyboy82
March 4, 2018, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
For me we need to change it big time on Saturday..

Macca
Mills
Suliman
Collins
Davies
McAllister
Rose
Dembele
Jayisemi
Clifton
Vernam

A 4231 with rose and McAllister sitting , dembele Clifton  Jayisemi behind vernam.

I'm not sure he will go for this but I hope to god he makes big changes.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 84
pontoonlew
March 4, 2018, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,982
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer
Jaiyesimi and Dembele aren't quick, so the plan for quick wingers falls at the first hurdle. I reckon Kelly is our quickest winger (not saying a great deal) but I don't imagine he'll be near the team.

If he's going to play 4-3-3, the front 3 will probably have to be Matt or Cardwell (or Vernon?) as the leading man with Jaiyesimi and Vernam as the other two forwards.

I wouldn't play Dembele as he's been awful every time he's appeared over the past few months. Might be down to his reported back problem, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team at present.

I think sticking Mills at left-back and Hall-Johnson at right-back is a good idea to make the team a bit quicker. Not sure about the lad on loan from Aston Villa - some are saying put him in, but we've never seen him play and he may not be up to the job at present.

I'm sorry but if Dembele is fit he needs to come back. For me it's no coincidence that losing Dembele has almost directly fallen alongside our streak without a win.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 4, 2018, 2:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t think you will see massive changes in selection, but there will be a change in the approach. They will try to press by closing up from the back to get the midfield in front of the ball in the attacking third. How successful it can be is debatable because players seem to have muscle memory that makes them sink back into old ways at the first sign of trouble.

Strikers? Perm any 2 from 7. I don’t think any of them is a proper goal scorer, just journeymen runners of the channels. No side can afford to have more than one of those in the team, you must have someone who scuffs in the chances other strikers don’t see.

I am sure that Wilki as an ex-striker of quality will have coached them, cajoled them, cosseted them and cursed them but you can’t make a silk purse out of ......

The one thing we really do need is a giant dollop of the luck that deserts teams when they go on the slide. We haven’t had any and it’s time we did get the run of the ball and the referee as well.

It might have been Cloughie who said successful managers fell into 3 groups - the good, the lucky and the lucky and good. I’ll settle for Jolley being lucky to start with, he can get good later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 84
Mariner_09
March 4, 2018, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Well we were given a very dubious penalty last week against Exeter and missed it. Luton were down to 10 men for over an hour and still couldn’t create anything. Basically we aren’t good enough which ever way you cut it.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 84
Abdul19
March 4, 2018, 2:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from forza ivano
Also if he is able to motivate players I wonder if we might see hooper playing against his old club .he's obviously got some ability and with a point to prove and a new manager to impress we might even get to see the real hooper

Do you remember Conlon v Bradford?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 84
MarinerDevil
March 4, 2018, 3:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,732
Gold Stars: 80
                                     McKeown

Suliman             Clarke              Collins

RHJ                                                            Davies/Mills
                      Summerfield         Rose

Vernam

Dembele               DJ

I like the idea of three at the back to free up the wing backs of RHJ and one of Davies or Mills (but certainly not Dixon), which is our only chance of some genuine width going forward.  I always find that Dembele and DJ prefer to drift inside and are much better at occupying pockets of space in-between the opposition's centre halves, so why not deploy them as out and out forwards?  It would give us some much needed movement when we pick up the ball in the centre circle.  

Vernam is definitely our most technical player and should play as an advanced midfielder (no 10).  This will allow us to press from the front and provide creativity in the gap between their defence and midfield.  Summerfield and Rose would act as 'spoilers', breaking up the play and covering the space vacated by our wing backs when they go forwards.

If Dembele isn't fit enough to last the full 90 then we could introduce Vernon to attempt to hold the ball in the opposition half.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 84
ginnywings
March 4, 2018, 3:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
The only two players i have seen recently that look like they can play a bit of football are Vernam and RHJ. We have them both on the bench and stick with the old lags like Berrett and Dixon. I often wonder what goes through the mind of management. Is Suliman here as a last resort centre back in case of injuries, or is he capable of doing a job? What was the point of bringing him in?

I really hope Davies is fit for the run in and Dembele can get a bit of his spark back. We also need Jackson and Wilks back sharpish to give us a bit of pace and nous up top. I still believe Vernon could do a better job than Matt. Think i could do a better job than Matt to be honest. He looked fairly good for a while, but now looks completely shot. Cardwell isn't affecting games at all and has been fairly anonymous, so i think his time may be up for this season too. Doesn't leave much scope for the forward line does it?

I'm interested to see what MJ comes up with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for port vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.