Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I'm not knocking Michael Jolley but.....
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 80 Guests

I'm not knocking Michael Jolley but.....

This thread currently has 7,089 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 11:52am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DougieJones
It's difficult to say how good manager he was in Sweden.

AFC did perform terrible when he arrived, but I think almost everyone in Sweden agreed that it was mostly down to choosing the wrong manager at the start of the season. AFC was famous for playing an attacking, passing oriented football. Then they hired the opposite type of manager (Pelle Olsson) when they got promoted to Allsvenskan.

So it's difficult to say: how much better did AFC perform just because they had such a bad manager fit, and how much better did they perform because Jolley did good things?

Despite being a team in the bottom of the table, they did have some quality players that no other team in the bottom of the league had. Mohamed Buya Turay and Omar Eddahri could easily belong to any other club in Sweden. Their back up striker, Chidi Omeje, was not starting because the other attackers were so good. Now he's signed up to be a star at Gif Sundsvall, who's still in the top division.

On the other hand, the defence and midfield was of way more mixed quality. No one expected them to stay up, but they had a run were it looked like it could be possible. He won the "tactics match" versus some of the top teams managers. AFC often dropped points in one goal defeats where they could've gotten more out of the games, It was a weird situation: AFC is kind of like the swedish MK Dons. Not 100%, because they didn't take any big clubs history and destroyed it, but they were as disliked because they moved to a new city and barely had any structure outside the football pitch.

AFC wanted to keep Jolley and he had some good ideas. It never felt like he was going to get another job in Allsvenskan 2018, because right now, there is a huge new wave of young football managers that are getting their chance in Sweden. It is a completely new generation that has "abandoned" the "old" style of thinking, and are way more progressive, educated, and influenced by other countries. In just over five years, the league has gone from pretty much everyone playing a direct football in a 4-4-2-ish, to a more fluid football with bigger coaching staffs, more analysis, players with better technical skills, formation shifts... I think Graham Potter has played a massive role in that.

welcome  aboard.v interesting.what was his preferred formation and was it a young team or seasoned lower division players?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Biccys
March 4, 2018, 11:58am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm also wondering if there is an exit strategy going on here.

I've wondered the exact same thing. Cutting costs so he doesn't have to dip into his pocket again would be a very obvious sign of a lack of willingness to fund any longer and waiting for the right time to up and leave. We can only hope there is a less greedy benefactor out there willing to undertake what is a huge job again. 2 years ago it was far smaller. Mismanagement has brought about this situation, there's only 1 person to blame.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 47
RoboCod
March 4, 2018, 12:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
In amongst all this mess I'm guessing the words 'new stadium' aren't going to feature in any of the boards statements in the near future

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
rancido
March 4, 2018, 12:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
I can understand this approach to the playing budget ( and reduction of ) but how come JF and the Board allowed Slade to sign so many players in the summer. If the intention at any time was to adopt a " penny pinching " approach then Slades' spending in the summer would have been curbed by the board. The quality of a lot of the players ( or lack of! ) is down to Slade and Slade only. A manager approaches the Board and says he wants a particular player and seeing as it is the manager who builds his squad then surely the Board wouldn't question the signing, only the affordability. The MD of a company wouldn't question his Engineering Manager on the employment of a fitter because he would assume that the fitter satisfied the criteria that the Engineering Manager required to do the job.
On Jolleys' appointment, IMO I think he is a good acquisition and certainly one for the future development of the squad. He witnessed two games before he joined the club so he knows something about the quality of some of the players and also the problems he has to overcome to retain our league status. He could quite easily have thought it too much of a task and declined the offer ( let's face it he would hardly want another relegation on his CV if he wanted to break into football management in the English League.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
DougieJones
March 4, 2018, 12:15pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +15
Quoted from forza ivano

welcome  aboard.v interesting.what was his preferred formation and was it a young team or seasoned lower division players?

He shifted formations depending of opposition and players available. Think it was 50/50 in terms of three at the back and four at the back. 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 were his most used systems, but he did try a lot of things and different tactics. Not because he was unsure, but rather that he wanted the best possible for every single game. I think one of the few general things you can say is that he liked to play with two strikers. He wasn't really a possession based manager. I think they only won possession a few times at home, playing against bad teams. He felt more like "find a good way to defend against this team, and then a game plan to get the max out of the quality attacking players".

They were really mixed in terms of players.

Emmanuel Frimpong played there for half a season, but was let go after just playing a few games under Jolley. Haghighi played for Irans national team. Taye Taiwo isn't great nowadays, but he was there. They did have some players that were not too old, but still had done a decent job in the division before they were signed by AFC (Björnkvist, Öhman, Razak). Other than that, they had a clear strategy of signing cheap foreign players with a bit of a "some might work, some might not" attitude. Andrew Fox from Stevenage, someone from Georgia, someone from Austria, someone from Netherlands, someone from Afghanistan/Russia, someone from Brazil... As I said: very mixed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
Swansea_Mariner
March 4, 2018, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I agree with Rancido I just can't see how it can be seen as penny pinching. Slade simply went wild signing so many players it must have cost a fortune. Even if all of them were on low wages the sheer volume must have pushed the budget up.

Take Asante for instance it seems highly unlikely that he would coming up from the conference, have been on more than say Hooper coming down from league one.  Add to the fact Hooper and Dixon were negotiating with us for weeks and the closer we got to the start of the season the more desperate Slade would have been getting to get them through the door.

It's a mess but one of the real positives is that most of the junk is out of contract in the summer  giving Jolley a clean slate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2018, 12:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228

I think JF is hedging his bets.

Cut costs (especially the playing staff) in order to get ready to bail out (ie he is trying very hard not to have to lend us any more money and take some back where possible) and hope against hope that football fortune pops along and saves his bacon, so he can continue to lord it over us.

Not a bad strategy from his point of view, but a disaster for GTFC.

I agree that JF wants to get out we all know that as he has told us "anyone with the wherewithal" I think was the message. I think the drop in match day receipts has possibly his us harder than we may know. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but it feels like a drop of around 25%+ maybe more on none STH income.  

When a business finds itself in that position you cut your biggest wage cost whilst not losing too many heads which in football means you lose your best players/biggest earners first. Also you target the employees who are possibly looking elsewhere, don't want to work for you or don't care first. If reports are to be believed then a couple of players who moved on fall into that category.

I think we where in danger of dropping into a negative cash flow position which would spell disaster the the future of the club.  

Cutting costs could be an exit strategy but a risky one as if we drop out of the league the value of the club will be even less than it is now as it's earnings potential is much smaller. Usually when you sell a business you inflate the value which often comes at an operating cost.

I think this is an appointment based upon a combination of 2 things,

!. Who might keep us up, MJ has been in that situation before so has experiences

2. Who would be hungry enough to bring us back up after relegation?

I think JF knows we are hot favorites for the drop and by making this appointment he's planning for it.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
forza ivano
March 4, 2018, 1:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DougieJones

He shifted formations depending of opposition and players available. Think it was 50/50 in terms of three at the back and four at the back. 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 were his most used systems, but he did try a lot of things and different tactics. Not because he was unsure, but rather that he wanted the best possible for every single game. I think one of the few general things you can say is that he liked to play with two strikers. He wasn't really a possession based manager. I think they only won possession a few times at home, playing against bad teams. He felt more like "find a good way to defend against this team, and then a game plan to get the max out of the quality attacking players".

They were really mixed in terms of players.

Emmanuel Frimpong played there for half a season, but was let go after just playing a few games under Jolley. Haghighi played for Irans national team. Taye Taiwo isn't great nowadays, but he was there. They did have some players that were not too old, but still had done a decent job in the division before they were signed by AFC (Björnkvist, Öhman, Razak). Other than that, they had a clear strategy of signing cheap foreign players with a bit of a "some might work, some might not" attitude. Andrew Fox from Stevenage, someone from Georgia, someone from Austria, someone from Netherlands, someone from Afghanistan/Russia, someone from Brazil... As I said: very mixed.

Thanks v informative.if that's the case I wonder if we perm 2 from 3 of hooper Vernon n vernham.might also be an interesting non contract signing or 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I'm not knocking Michael Jolley but.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.