Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 181 Guests

Biggest problem at GTFC is?
The fans
The manager
The board
  View Results 189 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

This thread currently has 14,872 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 25, 2018, 6:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,125
Gold Stars: 548
He is the councillor for Humberston and New Waltham.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
barralad
January 25, 2018, 6:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree. I cannot and will not ever find it acceptable for a Director of GTFC to tell a fan to 'Shut up' at an event such as a Fans Forum. Let's be right about this - the club instigated the Forum for whatever reason and the board & the manager, on that night, managed to plumb the depths of how not to treat people - especially paying customers.

In the ongoing interest of balance.....what even if you've been asked a question and are trying to answer it but the questioner keeps on talking?
Let me be clear. It isnt  a device I'd consider using (perhaps that is why I dont stick my head above the parapet in terms of public speaking) and it seemed to worsen an already tense situation but there were audible cries from the audience for Mr Marley to be allowed to answer the question at the same time..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2018, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
In situations like that Ian, I would expect an experienced business person to allow the 'storm' to blow out without resorting to what happened. I know you're trying to bring balance but, in reality, the board and the manager did themselves very few favours on that evening. That said, until fairly late on, I think most were reasonably placated and that merely underlines how badly handled the last half hour was.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 82
barralad
January 25, 2018, 6:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from MuddyWaters
In situations like that Ian, I would expect an experienced business person to allow the 'storm' to blow out without resorting to what happened. I know you're trying to bring balance but, in reality, the board and the manager did themselves very few favours on that evening. That said, until fairly late on, I think most were reasonably placated and that merely underlines how badly handled the last half hour was.

My mind could well be playing tricks now but I thought the Mr Marley exchange was well before 9 p.m.
Everything after the official finish left me bemused embarrassed and wishing I had left when I originally intended to.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 82
RoboCod
January 25, 2018, 6:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I seem to remember Matt Dean being constantly, and aggressively over-spoken by the loudmouth in the crowd (possibly by Slade too) yet he stayed calm. And professional.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 82
Marinerz93
January 25, 2018, 6:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from barralad

In the ongoing interest of balance.....what even if you've been asked a question and are trying to answer it but the questioner keeps on talking?
Let me be clear. It isnt  a device I'd consider using (perhaps that is why I dont stick my head above the parapet in terms of public speaking) and it seemed to worsen an already tense situation but there were audible cries from the audience for Mr Marley to be allowed to answer the question at the same time..

Marley wasn't in the pub shouting down his mates, he is a director and representing the club, he was addressing the clubs customers. I find any sort of defence of him quite amusing as his direct line about potential investors being put off as "if you don't believe me, you must be calling me a liar" is a statement that he can handle public speaking and is further proof of his arrogance.

It's his choice to not name the people he approached but for Matt Dean doing the same he got crucified by the club, hypocrisy abound.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 82
Mrs Doyle
January 25, 2018, 8:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
As far as Blundell Park goes I have not seen a decent atmosphere by home fans for years.

GTFC has always had a lack of ambition highlighted by Lennie Lawrence when he was last manager here.

He said this club and it's directors suffered from small club mentality and to be fair he hit the nail absolutely fair and square on the head.

We had a golden opportunity to drag this club into the twenty-first century in 98 on the back of undoubtedly one the greatest seasons in the clubs history.

Scunny and Lincoln have proved get the right people in the crowds will come back and I have no doubt they will both get a new stadium built before we do.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
Cloudy
January 25, 2018, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
As far as Blundell Park goes I have not seen a decent atmosphere by home fans for years.

GTFC has always had a lack of ambition highlighted by Lennie Lawrence when he was last manager here.

He said this club and it's directors suffered from small club mentality and to be fair he hit the nail absolutely fair and square on the head.

We had a golden opportunity to drag this club into the twenty-first century in 98 on the back of undoubtedly one the greatest seasons in the clubs history.

Scunny and Lincoln have proved get the right people in the crowds will come back and I have no doubt they will both get a new stadium built before we do.  

Easy for Lawrence to say even when the club were spending £14k per week on the Chinese International.

Yes he wanted the board to invest but he could spend money for England!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
KingstonMariner
January 25, 2018, 11:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

If you're looking at the present core current view then yes.

But taking a much wider and longer term view then the vast majority is the other 27k that went to Wembley in 98, the other 15k who went to Liverpool in the FA Cup, the other 4k that went to Sheff Wed in the FA Cup, the other 12k that went to the Sheff Utd 4-0 game and plenty of other home games around that period, the other 12k that went to the play-off final. In every one of those games and plenty of others, there were fans there singing like their lives depended on it, celebrating like their hearts were gonna burst. The majority have been lost along the way. We have fallen so far behind other clubs that had similar support to ours back in the day.

Too much analysing and finger pointing about how we got to where we are now rather that blue sky thinking and radical action to move things forward to a better future for all Town fans, not just the current core but also the one that may have fallen out of love with the club but still carry it around hidden somewhere deep in their hearts..

Brighton never had 30k crowds, Donny barely mustered 2k, we were a Reading, a Huddersfield, a Bournemouth. I'm not living in the past, I'm comparing different clubs paths to the present day. Somewhere it's gone very wrong for us over a very long and sustained period of time and £2m was never enough for us to match the stride of so many of our peers.

Yes we need to stay up, definitely. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if we sign another left back before the end of the month or yet another striker? We should find the necessary points from somewhere. If we stay in this League this season, there's some massive, bigger questions to ask and answer or do we all shrug our shoulders, accept our lot and go like sheep to game after game and slog through season after mind numbing, brain mashing season.. or even worse join the majority and give up..

I agree with most of what you say, but all those towns you list are much bigger than Grimsby. Probably by a factor of 2 or more.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
Mrs Doyle
January 26, 2018, 5:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Cloudy

Easy for Lawrence to say even when the club were spending £14k per week on the Chinese International.

Yes he wanted the board to invest but he could spend money for England!

The club that we beat at Wembley that day were AFC Bournemouth .....................I rest my case m'lord.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.