Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 176 Guests

Biggest problem at GTFC is?
The fans
The manager
The board
  View Results 189 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

This thread currently has 14,867 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
January 27, 2018, 2:42pm
Guest User
Football wise I can't think of any time in my life that I've felt more dejected and disillusioned than at present, the grim reality for me is that I can't see anything, anything at all that suggests an uplift any time soon.  I left Grimsby 33 years ago to try and do something with my life, that isn't a slant at anyone who's chosen to stay, it was just the right thing for me to do.  I've lived in North London, Watford, Leighton Buzzard, Lincoln and Higham Ferrers, in amongst the supporters of the local clubs when they've been at their lowest ebb.  There was of course the same moaning, criticism of anything with a pulse and negativity that I pick up through social media and my vists to Grimsby to see relatives, just not on the same scale.   Okay so I'm in a self-imposed exile, I was never an attend every match type but I would consistently manage 10+ home games per season and a similar amount away.  I've perhaps reached a point in my life where the club have long since lost any opportunity to tempt me back on a regular basis, that with the exception of the highly unlikely scenario of moving back to the area.  But lets be clear, and I'm not in a minority of one, I'm in an age group where losing my support also means losing the support of the next generation.  Without encouragement from parents and grand-parents the re-generation of fans is lost, this for me is where the club is failing miserably.  I never used to attend expecting us to win every game 5-0, most of the time I was happy if we didn't lose.  Yes like a lot of other fans I was lucky enough to have witnessed the good times, walking out of the ground bursting with pride that we'd just beaten Wolves, or Sheffield United, Wednesday and Leeds.  Massive clubs that we had no right to expect to beat or even compete with, but we did, regularly.  I remember walking down Wembley Way twice in a matter of weeks, the first time barely able to see where I was going because my eyes were filled with tears.  I/We were very fortunate, privileged in fact, I was proud of where I came from because of Grimsby Town Football Club.

I'd like to think that those days could come again, I'd love the club to ram my exile down my throat and put me in a position where I'd have to spend half the week trying to get a ticket.  Can I see that happening in the near future?  I'm sorry, but not while J Fenty has anything to do with the club.  I don't know the man, he might or might not be a nice guy, I really have no idea.  But the club has lost its identity and soul, he has to take full responsibility for that.  
Reply: 80 - 82
KingstonMariner
January 27, 2018, 2:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

None of that will happen whilst Fenty retains control. He loves the day to day involvement in it all, so much so that he loves doing the odd jobs at the ground which he genuinely believes is helping. He owns the place, and he can strut around there for however long he wishes whilst not putting in any worthwhile investment or finding any. It  doesn't seem to matter to him how tinpot it all seems or what the future outlook is.

The only solution to off the field problems is a new board, and there will be no new board till he agrees to forgo at least some of the money he feels he is owed. Its a bit chicken and egg, but we must let Fenty start feeling the heat from the fans that we want change.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Maybe if he took a step back he might have some time to really think about the real problems. Do the business rather than busy-ness to quote a bit of a cliche.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 82
rancido
January 28, 2018, 12:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
There needs to be a complete clear out of all the heads of departments so "fresh blood" can be brought in. We need people who have worked at other establishments to bring fresh modern ideas on how the club should progress. Too many people have no other experience in their field except through being at GTFC. Too much recruiting from within , it's all too parochial. JF has constantly said he will accept any reasonable offer from anyone willing to take over the club. Nobody has stepped up so it looks like he will be here for a while. Therefore he must take constructive steps to completely reorganise the whole club but sadly I don't think he is capable of that as I believe he owes an " allegiance " to his staff. A new owner would have no such connection and would act like a new broom to sweep away the stagnancy that pervades the club's structure.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.