Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 208 Guests

Biggest problem at GTFC is?
The fans
The manager
The board
  View Results 189 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

This thread currently has 14,859 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 25, 2018, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
JF wouldn`t be such a problem if other points of view were taken on board he gets labelled a control freak which I tend to agree with. Now JF would probably argue against this and point out MP wanted Neil Woods against his wishes and it led to non league yet he carried the can? I think he tries his best but because he has zero knowledge of football and how it works other than he is a fan who can he turn to other than maybe RS?

Personally for what it`s worth if I was John and intended staying I would be getting Buckley round for dinner and begging him to become a Director so I could get the football knowledge and as a bonus I would getting a bloke who knew the club and area . I think the above is possibly pencilled in for RS at a later date?

I am of the opinion in JF`s mind the new ground is key and to him nothing else really matters if we can steer clear of relegation til the ground is confirmed.Hence Slade a renowned safe pair of hands got the Manager job with the remit keep us safe on a ltd budget.

The downside to the above IF I am correct is because the fans have not been told anything concrete just oddly timed statements the fanbase has become restless both with results and style of play.Then all the off field shenanigans on top it`s created the perfect storm for unrest.

A joint statement from the board with a clear short term plan and then long term vision would help all parties.Again here because we are talking new ground I can sympathise with the need for a bit of a cloak and dagger tactics from JF.

This Club needs to maintain a minimum 3k sth and average gate of 4k and the past 12 Months will have made that near impossible.We are now entering the GTFC head in the sand approach to ST sales and mark my words we will see an almighty drop on that front IF we carry on down the current path on and off the field.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 82
grimsby pete
January 25, 2018, 11:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad

As a representative of a fans group I obviously couldn't (and do not) see the fans as "being the biggest problem" but I get increasingly frustrated on here that just because some people have a different opinion they are labelled as "part of the inner circle" or a "Fenty Fan".
When people are asking for a debate then the least they can do is accept that most if not all debates have two sides to them.
The survey results thus far are covering a huge range of opinions and each needs treating on its merits if we are to get close to making the right decisions about the way forward.
Oh and judging by the results of this poll so far it's a bloody big inner circle!!

There are two sides to every story Ian,

Some of us are called bullies or keyboard warriors because we express our view,

Anyway what is wrong with being called a Fenty Fan ?

If they like him and think he is doing a good job then they could  well be a fan of his,

I think debate is good from both sides even though sometimes I might get carried away a bit (its called passion )

Its better than saying nothing than just putting a X against the post.

Just my opinion.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 82
Bigdog
January 25, 2018, 12:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from barralad

Yep..pretty reasonable actually. It amazes me still that people who are already anonymous won't put their heads above the parapet and argue their corner. You can spend a long time putting together posts only to see red (and green) markings but no development of the argument.
As I said last night if I thought fans are the biggest problem then any position held on an organisation trying to represent fans would be untenable but in the interests of debate here's a stab at a Devil's Advocate view.
Blundell Park used to be a fortress. Now, if I were the manager of a team coming to Town I'd tell my players to go all out for an early goal because any positivity generated by a decent start turns instantly to outright anger if an early goal is conceded. There's a guy who sits four rows in front of me (Not you Friskney!) and to my right who bellows Slade Out with the precision of an atomic clock every minute. Now I'd be the last person to claim that our new goalkeeper is likely to be a future international but the all too apparent nervousness in the crowd in defensive situations must transmit to the players and, as the situation has got worse mistakes are creeping into a defence that earlier in the season was pretty strong. The Morecambe game for me was a totally new experience. In 50 years of watching the Mariners I've never heard the players being booed back onto the pitch (and during that half a century I've witnessed plenty of first half performances that have been more meritorious of it than recent fare served up.). I was out in Cleethorpes with an ex-player last weekend and the conversation turned to the atmosphere at Blundell Park. He was quite clear that playing in front of a decent sized crowd coupled with concentration levels required mean that you do not pick up individuals comments during the game because of the level of background noise. He went on to say though that you do notice it when walking out at the start or after half time. I get the criticism of Slade but he spends half time trying to gee the players up to get back into the game. Said group of players then walk out to a crescendo of boos from their own fans. Go figure! Freedom of speech is a marvellous maxim- one which I can get Voltairesque about but with it comes a certain sense of realism and responsibility. Booing (or cheering!) are not reflex reactions. You have to consciously decide to do it which is a tiny step away from thinking "What am I trying to achieve by this action?" There will be people who say it doesn't make a difference which begs the question "Why do it then?"
There are an increasing number of people who are prepared to countenance the team getting hammered to hasten the end of the manager. When Newport's second goal went in someone behind me, unable to contain their excitement was heard to say "Yesss he must be gone now!" What the actual....
Last Saturday in the concourse under the stand at Colchester at half time I spoke to someone. The conversation went something like this. Me:- Well that was better wasn't it?" Him:- "A bit-but it shouldn't be enough to save him he's got to go" I didn't see them after Colchester equalised but I'm willing to bet there was relief on his face!
Now let's turn to Social Media (ironic really seeing as all of this is on a form of Social Media)..I flipping hate it. Back in the day if someone started spouting sh1te in a pub you had two realistic options 1. Punch them (OK maybe not quite realistic in my position) or 2. Walk away. Now it's in your face. I turned on my phone whilst sat in a cafe last Saturday looking for team news. I was surprised by the line up but a large group of people on Facebook in the badly misnamed GTFC Fans Group decided in an instant that it wasn't going to work. In most cases there were no elucidated reasons for these pronouncements but it's a feeding frenzy where anything (even slagging off the current players as a means to get at the manager) goes. These comments are by and large from people that you wouldn't come into contact with under any other circumstance.
It's got to the stage where fans are being called idiots (and worse) for continuing to support the team. To counteract that I'm fed up of seeing posts on Social Media along the lines of "I'm not going again until Slade is gone" I've been around long enough now to know that we have had far worse times than we are currently having. NO-ONE wants to see us back in the abyss and I'll concede that part of the problem is at the moment that that experience is still too raw and genuine fans are worried.
I've just read through what I've written and there are plenty of opportunities for people to drive buses through the gaps in my arguments. Let's have the debate and at least some acceptance that fans have some responsibility for their actions.
**Awaits arryarryarry's two line condemnation linking the whole post to a far worse scenario from the past**

Thank you for opening a debate as a devil's advocate Barra.

It depends whether you are looking from a micro or macro point of view. Short or long term? Do you answer the thread question looking at it from a microcosm of the last few games where fans are at the end of the tether or do you look further back and admire OP or the support that the fans gave the club through non-league?

It's also not even a chicken and egg situation. The fans are at the receiving end of every decision made at the club good or bad. They are powerless. All they are left with is the decision whether to go to games or not. I actually think thousands have been to the bottom of the well in patience for JF over the years and they're not prepared to accept what's on offer or whatever non-vision the club has for the future. They want change. They don't want to feed or help the status quo as they're simply sick of it. It's always like this towards the end of a long era in tenureship of any operation.

You use the term "genuine fans". What is a genuine fan? This is part of the problem. It's a line that the club trots out. When are they going to understand that there's thousands upon thousands of disaffected GTFC fans out there. Some might not have been for ten years, some may only go to a couple of games a year but they are still GTFC fans. They do not need to be told they are not genuine fans. They are genuine GTFC fans. You ask them who they support and they'll say "Grimsby". They just need tempting back and that needs PR and marketing skills, finding a way to ensure the product on the pitch is entertaining and the matchday experience is pleasurable. It's a big ask and way beyond the current regime as they haven't got the cash or nous, so something radical needs to change.

It's not been long ago that I've been very proud of GTFC fans, it's been decades ago since I've been proud of any GTFC board and just as long that I've been proud of GTFC on the playing side as a Football League club..

To vote for fans being the main problem at GTFC is extremely harsh in my opinion and very short sighted..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 82
1mickylyons
January 25, 2018, 1:29pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Yep..pretty reasonable actually. It amazes me still that people who are already anonymous won't put their heads above the parapet and argue their corner. You can spend a long time putting together posts only to see red (and green) markings but no development of the argument.
As I said last night if I thought fans are the biggest problem then any position held on an organisation trying to represent fans would be untenable but in the interests of debate here's a stab at a Devil's Advocate view.
Blundell Park used to be a fortress. Now, if I were the manager of a team coming to Town I'd tell my players to go all out for an early goal because any positivity generated by a decent start turns instantly to outright anger if an early goal is conceded. There's a guy who sits four rows in front of me (Not you Friskney!) and to my right who bellows Slade Out with the precision of an atomic clock every minute. Now I'd be the last person to claim that our new goalkeeper is likely to be a future international but the all too apparent nervousness in the crowd in defensive situations must transmit to the players and, as the situation has got worse mistakes are creeping into a defence that earlier in the season was pretty strong. The Morecambe game for me was a totally new experience. In 50 years of watching the Mariners I've never heard the players being booed back onto the pitch (and during that half a century I've witnessed plenty of first half performances that have been more meritorious of it than recent fare served up.). I was out in Cleethorpes with an ex-player last weekend and the conversation turned to the atmosphere at Blundell Park. He was quite clear that playing in front of a decent sized crowd coupled with concentration levels required mean that you do not pick up individuals comments during the game because of the level of background noise. He went on to say though that you do notice it when walking out at the start or after half time. I get the criticism of Slade but he spends half time trying to gee the players up to get back into the game. Said group of players then walk out to a crescendo of boos from their own fans. Go figure! Freedom of speech is a marvellous maxim- one which I can get Voltairesque about but with it comes a certain sense of realism and responsibility. Booing (or cheering!) are not reflex reactions. You have to consciously decide to do it which is a tiny step away from thinking "What am I trying to achieve by this action?" There will be people who say it doesn't make a difference which begs the question "Why do it then?"
There are an increasing number of people who are prepared to countenance the team getting hammered to hasten the end of the manager. When Newport's second goal went in someone behind me, unable to contain their excitement was heard to say "Yesss he must be gone now!" What the actual....
Last Saturday in the concourse under the stand at Colchester at half time I spoke to someone. The conversation went something like this. Me:- Well that was better wasn't it?" Him:- "A bit-but it shouldn't be enough to save him he's got to go" I didn't see them after Colchester equalised but I'm willing to bet there was relief on his face!
Now let's turn to Social Media (ironic really seeing as all of this is on a form of Social Media)..I flipping hate it. Back in the day if someone started spouting sh1te in a pub you had two realistic options 1. Punch them (OK maybe not quite realistic in my position) or 2. Walk away. Now it's in your face. I turned on my phone whilst sat in a cafe last Saturday looking for team news. I was surprised by the line up but a large group of people on Facebook in the badly misnamed GTFC Fans Group decided in an instant that it wasn't going to work. In most cases there were no elucidated reasons for these pronouncements but it's a feeding frenzy where anything (even slagging off the current players as a means to get at the manager) goes. These comments are by and large from people that you wouldn't come into contact with under any other circumstance.
It's got to the stage where fans are being called idiots (and worse) for continuing to support the team. To counteract that I'm fed up of seeing posts on Social Media along the lines of "I'm not going again until Slade is gone" I've been around long enough now to know that we have had far worse times than we are currently having. NO-ONE wants to see us back in the abyss and I'll concede that part of the problem is at the moment that that experience is still too raw and genuine fans are worried.
I've just read through what I've written and there are plenty of opportunities for people to drive buses through the gaps in my arguments. Let's have the debate and at least some acceptance that fans have some responsibility for their actions.
**Awaits arryarryarry's two line condemnation linking the whole post to a far worse scenario from the past**

A remarkably brave post and to be commended barralad once again sticks his head above the parapet and deserves a better response than Slade Out.I have seen the same social media posts on the same sites and he is correct regarding the content.

The point he makes about not going again til Slade has gone could easily be levelled at myself as I have said words to that effect. Now I don`t and never have liked Slade`s brand of football and on that basis never renewed my ST for August.However like most fans before a ball is kicked im hoping Town will romp the league and having gone to Chesterfield first up I was on social media proclaiming Town the Div 2 Champions in waiting.A week later and pretty much ever since it`s been Sladeball as I remember it warts and all and I don`t like what I see. Now if I had been told (as this is my suspicion) Town have brought in RS to stabilise the Club at League 2 level whilst we seek the move to a new ground I would under sufferance have renewed my ST and put up with Sladeball albeit moaned lots.

To counter barralad what I can`t stand is being told I should blindly and willingly hand over my hard earned cash no matter what I get served up. No I am not having that at all I don`t expect Town to win every game but I do expect maximum effort from players and management in defeat.You don`t have to be Pele to get the crowd behind you at BP and Summerfield epitomises what I and many more will pay £20 to support a trier a guy with limited ability who I know gives his best to send me home happy.Then the Manager he has been around the block he knows his style with good results was unpopular at Gy last time he also knows a lot of people me included have a very low opinion of him after the Cardiff debacle. He will not yield an inch it`s his way to do what he does and he shrugs the shoulders take it or leave it this is a good trait in a lot of ways and possibly his strength but it`s also his major flaw.RS had good players well suited to his style last time around but he doesn`t have a Lump a Reddy or a giant backline to dominate both boxes nor anyone capable of delivering some quality ball.All I see is the team fail repeat fail repeat for 90 mins and it`s ugly and boring the only two times the team have got the ball down I have seen they scored 3 times and picked up maximum points repeat that and people will come Slade or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 82
1mickylyons
January 25, 2018, 1:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Genuine fan is another point which Bigdog makes WTF is a genuine fan?

Is it the guy who blindly follows his team to Colchester in hope of the team arresting an alarming run of results and getting back to winning ways because he only lives for that NEXT 90 mins?

Is it the guy who has done the above for decades but been broken by the lack of progress and now feels the only course of action is to stay away in the hope he can make a difference via his non attendance?

Neither of the above are the majority the majority are the other 2500 who turn up and when Town win all is well when they lose the world will end.

Town have a fanbase of around 4-5k regular fans and upto 10k floating fans nothing other than topping the Prem will keep them all happy but you can do a lot more to harnass and build up that 5k.Recent events are not the right way of going about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 82
Bigdog
January 25, 2018, 2:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Genuine fan is another point which Bigdog makes WTF is a genuine fan?

Is it the guy who blindly follows his team to Colchester in hope of the team arresting an alarming run of results and getting back to winning ways because he only lives for that NEXT 90 mins?

Is it the guy who has done the above for decades but been broken by the lack of progress and now feels the only course of action is to stay away in the hope he can make a difference via his non attendance?

Neither of the above are the majority the majority are the other 2500 who turn up and when Town win all is well when they lose the world will end.

Town have a fanbase of around 4-5k regular fans and upto 10k floating fans nothing other than topping the Prem will keep them all happy but you can do a lot more to harnass and build up that 5k.Recent events are not the right way of going about it.

If you're looking at the present core current view then yes.

But taking a much wider and longer term view then the vast majority is the other 27k that went to Wembley in 98, the other 15k who went to Liverpool in the FA Cup, the other 4k that went to Sheff Wed in the FA Cup, the other 12k that went to the Sheff Utd 4-0 game and plenty of other home games around that period, the other 12k that went to the play-off final. In every one of those games and plenty of others, there were fans there singing like their lives depended on it, celebrating like their hearts were gonna burst. The majority have been lost along the way. We have fallen so far behind other clubs that had similar support to ours back in the day.

Too much analysing and finger pointing about how we got to where we are now rather that blue sky thinking and radical action to move things forward to a better future for all Town fans, not just the current core but also the one that may have fallen out of love with the club but still carry it around hidden somewhere deep in their hearts..

Brighton never had 30k crowds, Donny barely mustered 2k, we were a Reading, a Huddersfield, a Bournemouth. I'm not living in the past, I'm comparing different clubs paths to the present day. Somewhere it's gone very wrong for us over a very long and sustained period of time and £2m was never enough for us to match the stride of so many of our peers.

Yes we need to stay up, definitely. But in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if we sign another left back before the end of the month or yet another striker? We should find the necessary points from somewhere. If we stay in this League this season, there's some massive, bigger questions to ask and answer or do we all shrug our shoulders, accept our lot and go like sheep to game after game and slog through season after mind numbing, brain mashing season.. or even worse join the majority and give up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 82
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2018, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Whatever anybody's opinion, all football fans, GTFC or otherwise, have a right to an opinion on their club. My biggest gripe is the lack of humility from the club and the refusal to accept that mistakes have been made. If the club hadn't made mistakes, we might be Bournemouth or Burnley, instead we are falling behind the likes of Lincoln & Accrington. The underlying impression I get is that we are so busy standing still, we have forgotten what progress is.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 82
headingly_mariner
January 25, 2018, 5:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

I certainly don't think it helps getting at the players in the ground, I try my best to be encouraging, I was brought up with "hard luck" and "keep going" when a player tried something that didn't come off, there's a lot of groaning and moaning now. I also think people who contact the players to slag them off on twitter are idiots as well.

I think the general atmosphere in the ground is so sour because of the feeling about the manager and the board. The relationship is so broken that the slightest hint of a poor performance sets people off. I don't see how it can be fixed by the current regime, instead of trying to fix it they've continued to blame fans. To improve our situation we need a set of aims we can rally round and a board we can trust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 82
MuddyWaters
January 25, 2018, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I certainly don't think it helps getting at the players in the ground, I try my best to be encouraging, I was brought up with "hard luck" and "keep going" when a player tried something that didn't come off, there's a lot of groaning and moaning now. I also think people who contact the players to slag them off on twitter are idiots as well.

I think the general atmosphere in the ground is so sour because of the feeling about the manager and the board. The relationship is so broken that the slightest hint of a poor performance sets people off. I don't see how it can be fixed by the current regime, instead of trying to fix it they've continued to blame fans. To improve our situation we need a set of aims we can rally round and a board we can trust.

I agree. I cannot and will not ever find it acceptable for a Director of GTFC to tell a fan to 'Shut up' at an event such as a Fans Forum. Let's be right about this - the club instigated the Forum for whatever reason and the board & the manager, on that night, managed to plumb the depths of how not to treat people - especially paying customers.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 82
Meza
January 25, 2018, 6:02pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Can anyone tell me (apologies i know i should know) is JF an MP or just a councillor?  And how does this affect his duties at board room level.  I was just thinking if his attention is not purely GTFC how can he put all his time and effort i to Town.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.