Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 339 Guests

Biggest problem at GTFC is?
The fans
The manager
The board
  View Results 189 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

This thread currently has 14,868 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 26, 2018, 7:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from barralad

My mind could well be playing tricks now but I thought the Mr Marley exchange was well before 9 p.m.
Everything after the official finish left me bemused embarrassed and wishing I had left when I originally intended to.

I would say the Marley outburst was around 8.45pm it was enough to get me and several others out their chairs with a view to leaving in disgust.Even after that I was still of the mind the forum had gone quite well for RS and very well for JF in particular and he had done a sterling job in damping down the flames.At that point Marley aside the only thing that had irked me was Slade`s time wasting at the start with his ludicrous charts.The clock got round to 9.30pm and the rage had been fuelled once and for all and those who earlier had squealed about perceived bullying set about a hapless MD like a pack of rabid dogs and acted out bullying for all to see.You add that to the Marley outburst and see the type of person running this football club and the type of person managing the team and it`s not really such a surprise were up sh1t creek without a paddle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 82
January 26, 2018, 10:32am
Guest User
Maybe there should have been an option to vote for "all of the above".

Isn't it arguable, that the issues at GTFC is a culmination of a number of things, even things in addition to the options in this poll.

The Fans
Yeah the issue is some fans. Always will be even in the good times. Not all but some.

The Manager
Yeah for sure a big part of the issue.

The Board
Again, yes the board will be at fault for some of the issues. But, like it or not we wouldn't be here now if JF hadn't of supported the club.

Lack of Investors
Clearly we do not have access to anybody in our area, or further afield, that wants to invest in our  football club. That is why we are stuck with John Fenty as our financial crutch.

The Facility
Our lack of a decent stadium and probably a decent training facility, is certainly a massive factor. Players will consider all of this when making choices. Ask Lincoln, who are on route to provideding better training facilities. The stadium facility also prevents us from taking advantage of other revenue streams that can be available to football clubs.

Like it or not, some players won't want to live in the Grimsby area, even though there are some really nice locations on our doorstep. It is a long way from anywhere deemed to be popular places to reside. Being on the coast, it is also a hell of our journey to get here.

I could go on. Sadly we are what we are. A very small football club, struggling, with supporters that have to lap up and enjoy an highs when they seldom come along. Suffering from a big list of things that limit us.
Reply: 51 - 82
1mickylyons
January 26, 2018, 10:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 120790

Isn't it arguable, that the issues at GTFC is a culmination of a number of things, even things in addition to the options in this poll.

The Fans
Yeah the issue is some fans. Always will be even in the good times. Not all but some.

The Manager

The Board
Again, yes the board will be at fault for some of the issues. But, like it or not we wouldn't be here now if JF hadn't of supported the club.

Lack of Investors
Clearly we do not have access to anybody in our area, or further afield, that wants to invest in our  football club. That is why we are stuck with John Fenty as our financial crutch.

The Facility
Our lack of a decent stadium and probably a decent training facility, is certainly a massive factor. Players will consider all of this when making choices. Ask Lincoln, who are on route to provideding better training facilities. The stadium facility also prevents us from taking advantage of other revenue streams that can be available to football clubs.

Like it or not, some players won't want to live in the Grimsby area, even though there are some really nice locations on our doorstep. It is a long way from anywhere deemed to be popular places to reside. Being on the coast, it is also a hell of our journey to get here.

I could go on. Sadly we are what we are. A very small football club, struggling, with supporters that have to lap up and enjoy an highs when they seldom come along. Suffering from a big list of things that limit us.

I know the games changed and so have times but an awful lot of former Town players have settled in this area when their careers have finished who were not local lads.To name a few Dave Boylen,Matt Tees,Steve Sherwood,Gary Childs,Gary Croft,John McDermott and Tony Gallimore
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 82
realist
January 26, 2018, 10:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
I think the big problem is that it has got very personal.   Various board members blaming fans for everything under the sun that happens at the club is not on. One of the benefits of following a small club in a small town was the tight knit relationship between fans and club. Our whole male side of the family used to meet in the Constitutional ave corner. Our expectations were low but we always had a good time. We need to get back to this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 82
1mickylyons
January 26, 2018, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from realist
I think the big problem is that it has got very personal.   Various board members blaming fans for everything under the sun that happens at the club is not on. One of the benefits of following a small club in a small town was the tight knit relationship between fans and club. Our whole male side of the family used to meet in the Constitutional ave corner. Our expectations were low but we always had a good time. We need to get back to this.

You make a good point and that`s why when the fans are on side they give partisan backing and it`s frustrating that the Club can`t seem to galvanize and harness that support more regularly.One day hopefully soon we will get it right at GY and then we will see what can happen the area is big enough to throw up gates in excess of 10k on a regular basis but no-one has seen it since the early 80s .I would love to see BP sold out week in week out til she bows out and exits stage left but unless the Club but the work in with the public it won`t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 82
MuddyWaters
January 26, 2018, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You make a good point and that`s why when the fans are on side they give partisan backing and it`s frustrating that the Club can`t seem to galvanize and harness that support more regularly.One day hopefully soon we will get it right at GY and then we will see what can happen the area is big enough to throw up gates in excess of 10k on a regular basis but no-one has seen it since the early 80s .I would love to see BP sold out week in week out til she bows out and exits stage left but unless the Club but the work in with the public it won`t happen.

It really doesn't help when our season ticket prices are at a similar level to Championship clubs like Barnsley & Hull. The predicted price rise for next year will make people think twice, even three times, especially when you consider that prices have fallen at many clubs this year.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 82
ginnywings
January 26, 2018, 12:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It really doesn't help when our season ticket prices are at a similar level to Championship clubs like Barnsley & Hull. The predicted price rise for next year will make people think twice, even three times, especially when you consider that prices have fallen at many clubs this year.

Some Premier League teams have cheaper season tickets than us. Teams in the top 2 divisions get a lot more cash than we do and can afford to sell ST's cheaper as ticket sales are not their main source of income. Hull will still be receiving parachute payments. We don't have that luxury.

It won't be the price that puts me off next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 82
lew chaterleys lover
January 26, 2018, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 120790

The Fans

The Manager

The Board

Lack of Investors

The Facility

We are not a very small football club though are we? That is the whole point. Morecombe, Fleetwood, Accrington,Yeovil Forest Green, Burton are very small clubs, some (most) of them punching above their weight.

We are hardly a sleeping giant but we should be much better than we are now. Even in the midst of this ghastly period of Fentyism we still get crowds a lot of clubs would envy - and that is after 15 or more years of sustained failure.

Top half of league one is where we should be at, if we had any sort of reasonable board. An ambitious board, with the investment to match and a new stadium (or a revamped present one) would be aiming for the Championship.

We have to get a vision, investment and get on with it!  
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 82
MuddyWaters
January 26, 2018, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235

We are not a very small football club though are we? That is the whole point. Morecombe, Fleetwood, Accrington,Yeovil Forest Green, Burton are very small clubs, some (most) of them punching above their weight.

We are hardly a sleeping giant but we should be much better than we are now. Even in the midst of this ghastly period of Fentyism we still get crowds a lot of clubs would envy - and that is after 15 or more years of sustained failure.

Top half of league one is where we should be at, if we had any sort of reasonable board. An ambitious board, with the investment to match and a new stadium (or a revamped present one) would be aiming for the Championship.

We have to get a vision, investment and get on with it!  

Nearly two years ago, when we got promoted, Lincoln were envious of us. Two years on, the boot is on the other foot - reason? Lack of ambition, mission accomplished etc. You could almost accept the previous 10 - 12 years had we used the momentum created by promotion, but once again, we're looking down not up. It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 82
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 26, 2018, 12:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nearly two years ago, when we got promoted, Lincoln were envious of us. Two years on, the boot is on the other foot - reason? Lack of ambition, mission accomplished etc. You could almost accept the previous 10 - 12 years had we used the momentum created by promotion, but once again, we're looking down not up. It's pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Had interesting conversation in pub last night with Lincoln fans who are wetting themselves over drawing Chelsea Yoofs in Checkatwat trophy and seeing their first ever trip to Wembley within a cats whisker ( to be fair cannot blame as that first trip v Bournemouth was something very special).

Anyway we all know Lee Frecklington’s dad very well and he confirmed that before Lee signed the Crowley’s confirmed they were in Lincoln for the long haul, confirmed by another mate who has his up for sale at £500K and who should come and view but Danny Cowley, meaning he is moving out of accommodation paid for by the club. Also as their “success” continues the South African money men are agreeing to pump more money into the club. I expect their season ticket sales next year will exceed this years 6000 plus.

This means firstly, that my life in Lincoln could be a miserable one football wise for the foreseeable future but secondly, that football fortunes can change very quickly as not long ago under Chris Moyes many of their fans had given up on the club. So let’s hope our situation improves just as dramatically.

Final comment is that I have noticed since Moyes replaced Macca Alfretons fortunes appear to have improved “...its a funny old game”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In your opinion, the biggest problem at GTFC is?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.