Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 410 Guests

Just Back.

This thread currently has 12,646 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
GyMariner
December 27, 2017, 6:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
We're currently 4th in the form guide based on the last 6 games (including some tough fixtures). We're above Notts county and only 2 points from joint second with Luton at the top.

In our next 3 games we're playing 2 teams that currently sit 23rd and 24th in the form guide, and a steady Crewe outfit.

Although I agree we'll need a couple of Janurary signings to mount a real challenge. Despite all these so called 'bad players' no one will fancy playing us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
headingly_mariner
December 27, 2017, 7:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

He hasn't had a good game that I have seen and I think RS prefers him because he brought him to the club and to exclude him would question RS' judgement on the players he has signed.

I thought he was good against Yeovil, Crewe and Accrington. He hasn't played a lot of football, I think he will end up being a decent signing. He might not be a flying winger, but he has quality.
As for Slade's reason for playing him, the players left out of the squad that he's signed suggest you're probably wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
Maringer
December 27, 2017, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,495
Gold Stars: 185
I watch from the Upper Findus (or whatever it is called three days - I lose track) and Dembele just didn't do anything for me. He wasn't anonymous like Woolford for much of the game, but didn't pass the ball simply often enough and was guilty of attempting to over-complicate too often.

He's got bags of ability, but I'd like to see him let the ball do the work more often with simple passing and movement. That's when we've seen the best of him but, as with so many players with good close skills, they tend to try and take on players when it isn't necessary and it actually makes them less effective. See also Jones and Jaiyesimi for this failing - yesterday, Jones butchered that simple chance to put Summerfield through because his first thought is to twist and turn when he gets the ball instead of looking for the pass.

The best players know when to pass or move and when to take on a player. Not sure if Dembele and Co can learn this or not, but it would be better for us and them if we could.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
Maringer
December 27, 2017, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,495
Gold Stars: 185
I'll add that I've been very disappointed with Woolford. He started well in his first couple of appearances, but now just doesn't get involved enough when he does play. You'd expect someone with his experience and relative pedigree to offer a lot more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
LH
December 27, 2017, 9:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
I don’t think it was Dembele’s worst game for us but not his best either. A few teams have done well dealing with him by chucking two or three defenders on him when he gets on the ball but Mansfield let him get it for most of the game. Saying that I think all of our starting forward players had a fairly easy game in that sense especiallt Matt.

On Woolford: I’ve been disappointed with but we were warned about him by Sheff Utd fans. I think DJ would have been better off starting yesterday anyway but even more so having seen how poor Mansfield were against our attacking players. That would have given them two flanks to worry about as we were a bit lopsided with Woolford starting.

I think my comments about Killip have been misunderstood as I was a bit vague. He did make a couple of excellent saves - notably the well timed stop on the edge of the box that if mistimed could easily have been a penalty. Somebody else compared his confidence to that of Boxing Day 2016 debutant Dean Henderson. I don’t think Mansfield would have tried the tricks like loitering on the edge of the box and heading it out of Henderson’s hands. It’s going fairly well for us at the minute and I’d hate for us to get beat heavily because we had an unconfident keeper in goal - for the team’s sake and his future career. All I’m saying is that I’d rather field a youngster in a game voluntarily and not forced into a change like yesterday. Slade must be happy with Killip though as he is his signing.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2017, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Maringer
I watch from the Upper Findus (or whatever it is called three days - I lose track) and Dembele just didn't do anything for me. He wasn't anonymous like Woolford for much of the game, but didn't pass the ball simply often enough and was guilty of attempting to over-complicate too often.He's got bags of ability, but I'd like to see him let the ball do the work more often with simple passing and movement. That's when we've seen the best of him but, as with so many players with good close skills, they tend to try and take on players when it isn't necessary and it actually makes them less effective. See also Jones and Jaiyesimi for this failing - yesterday, Jones butchered that simple chance to put Summerfield through because his first thought is to twist and turn when he gets the ball instead of looking for the pass.

The best players know when to pass or move and when to take on a player. Not sure if Dembele and Co can learn this or not, but it would be better for us and them if we could.

Interesting view on Dembelle's contribution yesterday and the Jones bit which I assume was when we had a potential break just before half time. I have a different view on this in that for differing reasons both are still learning their trade at this level.

A ball player like Dembelle is only as good as the movement coming off him or the close support he has and at the moment our movement is pretty poor and only average at best and our inconsistent support play means that players get isolated very easily. Yesterday the lad tried to create things which is an asset that we need and will come good as RS levels out this lop sided squad.

Re the Jones comment I just think that he didn't  have the ability to do what some expected from him, but he is a better player than the one that joined us and all being well with support from RS and Wilco will improve further. Remember he is not by trade a striker he has been an attacking left mid most of his very modest career.  

The bit in bold from your post is quite interesting, I actually agree with you in principle but please take some time to consider the individuals both of whom are at their first EFL clubs. Jones though 25/26 only played 125 senior games before joining us and in career terms Dembelle is a baby with Town being his first senior professional club.    

I think at times many people have a very inflated exception and view of where we are as a club both Jones and Dembelle are good lads and good assets to our squad I for one would like to see them both develop in a Town shirt for a good while yet.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2017, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LH
I don’t think it was Dembele’s worst game for us but not his best either. A few teams have done well dealing with him by chucking two or three defenders on him when he gets on the ball but Mansfield let him get it for most of the game. Saying that I think all of our starting forward players had a fairly easy game in that sense especiallt Matt.

On Woolford: I’ve been disappointed with but we were warned about him by Sheff Utd fans. I think DJ would have been better off starting yesterday anyway but even more so having seen how poor Mansfield were against our attacking players. That would have given them two flanks to worry about as we were a bit lopsided with Woolford starting.

I think my comments about Killip have been misunderstood as I was a bit vague. He did make a couple of excellent saves - notably the well timed stop on the edge of the box that if mistimed could easily have been a penalty. Somebody else compared his confidence to that of Boxing Day 2016 debutant Dean Henderson. I don’t think Mansfield would have tried the tricks like loitering on the edge of the box and heading it out of Henderson’s hands. It’s going fairly well for us at the minute and I’d hate for us to get beat heavily because we had an unconfident keeper in goal - for the team’s sake and his future career. All I’m saying is that I’d rather field a youngster in a game voluntarily and not forced into a change like yesterday. Slade must be happy with Killip though as he is his signing.

Though we deride the fat jock he is no mug and neither are his players, yesterday I thought their shape was strong and they stopped both of our full backs making telling contributions to our attack by doubting up with our wide players especially in the 2nd half.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
arryarryarry
December 28, 2017, 1:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I thought he was good against Yeovil, Crewe and Accrington. He hasn't played a lot of football, I think he will end up being a decent signing. He might not be a flying winger, but he has quality.
As for Slade's reason for playing him, the players left out of the squad that he's signed suggest you're probably wrong.

Apart from his goal at Accrington I have yet to see any real quality and on Tuesday it looked like we were playing with 10 men for most of the game he was completely anonymous.

When is he likely to end up being a decent signing as we are over half way through the season. In my opinion based on his contribution so far he is no where near as good as some of those sent out on loan and I just cannot understand why Slade sent them out whilst keeping a seemingly unfit Woolford and continuing to play him.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
Davec
December 28, 2017, 8:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
When Slade was talking about the heat maps and stuff at the fans forum he did mention that Woolford scores highly on this so that is probably why he plays him, we know Slade values hardwork over creativity as it may help keep a clean sheet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
Mariner93er
December 28, 2017, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
The probably is, he's do slow, it's easy for the team to get men quickly behind the ball. It's similar to the monkhouse situation in that without a flying fullback, he is redundant. Davies is good at getting forward on the right side, but on the left often hesitates due to a lack of confidence in his left foot. At this level anyway, I think quick raw wingers are far more effective than slow intelligent ones. There simply isn't enough football played for them to be effectivr.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.