Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 300 Guests

Just Back.

This thread currently has 12,639 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
JMT
December 26, 2017, 3:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
thought ref was alright at first but ultimately ruined the game, not blaming Slade for the sub's Matt would have been sent off otherwise, just shows we need better firepower of the bench. Didn't play dreadful either, onto the next game onwards and upwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
December 26, 2017, 3:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Refs decision to book matt for absolutely intercourse all ruined the game, his decision to not give a pen at the end was a disgrace considering his decision to blow at every slight tug and nudge anywhere. He bottled sending off the RB in the 1st half and he cost us 3 points as our subs just offered nothing but i dont blame slade as he had to make them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 79
Mariner Ronnie
December 26, 2017, 3:41pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from JMT
thought ref was alright at first but ultimately ruined the game, not blaming Slade for the sub's Matt would have been sent off otherwise, just shows we need better firepower of the bench. Didn't play dreadful either, onto the next game onwards and upwards

Another striker and a LB in the transfer window I reckon.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 79
promotion plaice
December 26, 2017, 3:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I thought we sat a bit too deep after scoring early on.

We faded a bit towards the end and our substitutions made no impact at all.

Killip looked a little naive at times although he pulled off a couple of good saves.

Dembele and Matt our best 2 players today for me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 79
Maringer
December 26, 2017, 4:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Dembele was hopeless until the last 15 minutes when he started finding some space to attack and stopped giving the ball away endlessly. Before that he'd been really poor - though not as anonymous as Woolford.

Terrible referee, but we didn't do enough to win overall. Might have been different if Jones hadn't completely butchered a chance to send Summerfield clean through on goal near the end of the first half. Lots of bad decision-making all round at times today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 79
Alfie
December 26, 2017, 4:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Crazy how differently people can see a game. Thought it was Dembele’s best game for Town today.

When will Clarke start getting some praise? First month aside - he has been outstanding and was a rock today.

We’re a striker away from being play off contenders - Matt either needs a on-it Jones or someone to run in behind for him.

The difference in confidence between Killip and another young goalkeeper in Henderson was stark. Couple of saves but looked like he was shitting himself. Could see Evans told them to get at him second half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 79
MuddyWaters
December 26, 2017, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
I too thought Dembele was as excellent as Woolford was shite. By the time Vernon and Hooper came on, we were nearly playing with eight men.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 79
moosey_club
December 26, 2017, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
ultimately a game of two benches.......ours made no impact at all....theirs won a share of the spoils. Ref ended our chances with his ridiculous harrassment of Matt leaving no option to take him off, with Macca going off early that only left Russell one sub of choice to make.

Scrappy but open game...little quality in the final third from either side.  Evans has the squad at his disposal to change things around we dont, needs addressing in January....  is it 30 (?) in the first team squad and out of the 11 that started today Woolford didnt do anything for me and certainly cant offer any impact as a sub so we must have around 15 players that just arent upto (or are judged such by the management team)  the matchday squad standard at all.
What a waste of wages, clear them out and get in the 2 or 3 first team standard players we need to kick on.

Cant fault the effort today at all, just ultmately strength in depth let us down.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 79
headingly_mariner
December 26, 2017, 4:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Played well but have little quality on the bench. Ref missed a handball for their goal, bottled sending off their right back and didn't give us a nailed on pen. Thought his treatment of Matt was totally shocking, giving free kicks any time he made a challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 79
Grimbiggs
December 26, 2017, 5:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
A decent start for us and generally contained them well first half, goal apart few clear-cut chances. Second half was a different story, we had a couple of chances particularly when Matt swiveled laying the ball off to Rose who was unlucky not to score. However the last half hour belonged to Mansfield, who had alot of possession and created several good half chances, and a goal from them always looked likely. Matt had to be taken off like others said, otherwise he would have been sent off. McKeown's injury limited the subs, but i'm still surprised Woolford managed to stay on the pitch as long as he did, as he offered absolutely nothing. Not at our best today, but once again the central defenders deserve praise, and on reflection we've got to be happy with a point, as Mansfield edged it. Hopefully Jamie Osborne will be back for the weekend, and desperately need a goalscorer if we're to challenge the play-offs....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 79
pontoonlew
December 26, 2017, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
I thought first half we were good, this was the first time I've seen Summerfield since his new lease of life and he was fantastic. Dembele was great as well.

For their goal, an absolutely horrendous piece of defending from Collins which ultimately cost us the game.

A half decent performance and happy with a point, but we could've had more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 79
Garth
December 26, 2017, 5:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from pontoonlew
I thought first half we were good, this was the first time I've seen Summerfield since his new lease of life and he was fantastic. Dembele was great as well.

For their goal, an absolutely horrendous piece of defending from Collins which ultimately cost us the game.

I`m not we were average today, but still better than Fatty`s gang
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 79
pontoonlew
December 26, 2017, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Garth

I`m not we were average today, but still better than Fatty`s gang

Agreed, but on the face of the game (especially second half) we could've easily been beaten.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 79
Jarmo.Is.God
December 26, 2017, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Ref totally ruined it for us

We didn't look bad, but bench is weak as it showed today.

Dembele and Matt both very impressive and they couldn't handle any them both at all

Killip did well, and I would be comfortable with him in goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 79
psgmariner
December 26, 2017, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Frustrating to have drawn but it was an enjoyable game. I don't get to see them often but today reinforced my opinion that dembele is too good for us! Unplayable at times and only let down by his final ball.

Back four looked solid, Summerfield and Rose are a decent pair in the middle and Matt was a real handful despite not looking like someone who is ever going to score loads of goals. Seems obvious to say but if we had a Liam Hearn, Reddy or another fast and busy goal scorer up front we would be a lot more likely to trouble the playoffs.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 79
Mendonca1995
December 26, 2017, 6:12pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Watching woolford and vernon today was like watching 2 scarecrows !!!! Anonymous to say the least we just haven’t got a goalscorer capable of finding the net jones has been off for a couple of months although looked good in flashes Matt did well but it was obvious he had to be brought off before the ref sent him off for basically putting himself between the defenders !!! The amount of times dembele got down the line and was looking for some one in the box to cross to was unreal there wasn’t no one within 20 yards of him especially second half desperate for some pace upfront and in regards to vernon and woolford am only saying what everyone else is UTM  

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 79
Croxton
December 26, 2017, 6:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Agree with most of above except the subs. Even though Jones was hit and miss he is better than Hooper. DJ for Woolford and Karleigh Osborne for Matt would have occupied their defence in last 10 - 15 min. Taking Jones off is not changing his mindset. Wilko should be schooling him in training!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 79
LH
December 26, 2017, 6:31pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
I think even the most optimistic of Town fans would say that 2 points from the last three games against form teams, the league leaders and the best home side in the division is a good haul. That said the refereeing definitely impacted today’s result although we did have a couple of chances (Rose, Collins off the top of my head) to get a second and kill it off before they equalised.

I think everyone has got it about right with who the good and bad performers were. I hope McKeown is back soon because Killip looked very nervous when he first came on. Evan’s Mansfield are probably the last team in the league who you’d want him to make his debut against, I suppose.

Looking at the next couple of weeks we have got 3 very winnable games. Morecambe and Accrington are the two worst performing teams in the league over the last six games (both W1 D1 L4) and Crewe are hit and miss.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 79
Mikoo
December 26, 2017, 6:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Quoted from Croxton
Agree with most of above except the subs. Even though Jones was hit and miss he is better than Hooper. DJ for Woolford and Karleigh Osborne for Matt would have occupied their defence in last 10 - 15 min. Taking Jones off is not changing his mindset. Wilko should be schooling him in training!

We'd made a change in the first half with Killip for Macca so not sure how you think we can then make three in the second half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 79
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 26, 2017, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Of course Killip looked nervous it was his debut and he is a young guy hoping to have a long career in the game, he did nothing wrong and made some decent saves/interceptions, but clearly not of Hendeson's class/stature. To be fair a commanding keeper would still be on my list of needs as Macca neve comes for a cross and this allows teams to throw the ball in between our penalty spot and six yard line which is the real danger zone.

Decent match but Mansfield actually did not play as well for the first 30 minutes as they did last season when they missed some real opportunities. Pretty much agree on who played well but I also thought Rose had a good game and showed a real willingness to get in the box whilst Clarke & Davies were excellent defensively.

Up front Matt puts himself about effectively, unless your the ref, and Jones continues to show his true self in brief cameos but like in the second half that should have resulted in us scoring. I have some sympathy re the great run by Summerfield and when you are in the Upper Findus it looks a straightforward pass but as he collected the ball he was already turning towards the touchline and thus not in a position to play that reverse pass.

We look much more like a side now and if Osbourne replaces the totally ineffective Woolford we will be further improved. That elusive striker would have made the big difference today but so would awarding the most blatant of penalties. Add this to his failure to send off their number 2 and you really have had a bad day. I think we got behind them on four occasions only to be cynically fouled, professional it maybe but its bloody annoying and needed to result in their full back getting sent off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 79
GyMariner
December 26, 2017, 6:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
It becomes a good point if we can follow it up with 3 good results from the next set of winnable games. I just hope we come through it ok and aren't forced into too many changes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 7:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Firstly thought the ref had too much of an influence on today's game and for a manager to have to take a player off as he cant trust the ref to make the right call or not be influenced by the histrionics of the opposition is a damming indictment of modern "for the camera" officiating - They know the rules but don't know the game, they are there to keep the show going & not be part of it!

Anyway away from that I thought it was 2 points "not secured" as much as 2 points lost as I felt we always needed a second and our inability to get one underlined our lack of true quality or options n the final third, all that said I think that Matt & Jones did work hard but we need better or at the very least they need better service.

On the subject of service really liked Dembelle (excellent attitude) and Rose today who at every opportunity tried to get the ball down and move it forward. Frustratingly though we posed no real threat on the left to give us the additional outlet we needed, on the basis of today the Davis/Woolford combination offered very little.

At times today I thought we had regressed as the back 4 and Summerfield did some great tidying up at times only for the keeper or back 4 to surrender possession by hitting it long, we may not be the finished article but we have enough talent not to do that.

So overall I'd say that today was a limited performance by a limited squad, one which is crying out for some more pace and creativity.

We are improving overall though, while you could argue that we have only won 2 points out of the last 9 I prefer to say it's 11 from the last 18 and if we win on Saturday 14 from 21 which will be a decent haul considering the level of opposition and away trips across late November & December.

UTM !

Oh yeah forgot to add Jamey should be back on Saturday and has to feature, where do we play him & in what shape I wonder?  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 79
Jaws
December 26, 2017, 7:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Woolford was dire today, needs to stick a foot in.

Matt had a great game but became undone by the ref, not at fault.

Dembele had a great game too, class apart from the rest of the pitch.

Collins seemed to be solid at the back and was part of the reason Mansfield didn't look like creating anything for so long.

Sam Jones... is he leaving in January? Looks that way.

Killip. No confidence, had very little to do. One save from a shot straight at his chest. Not ready  for this level but to be honest, we didn't see enough so may be wrong.

Mansfield were on the ropes in the first half with 3 players booked, the keeper and manager both wound up. A 2nd goal before HT would have killed it and we'd be looking at 4 or 5 in the second half.

Not a bad result, but need a win next time out otherwise it starts to look like a bad run.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 7:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jaws
Woolford was dire today, needs to stick a foot in.

Matt had a great game but became undone by the ref, not at fault.

Dembele had a great game too, class apart from the rest of the pitch.

Collins seemed to be solid at the back and was part of the reason Mansfield didn't look like creating anything for so long.

Sam Jones... is he leaving in January? Looks that way.

Killip. No confidence, had very little to do. One save from a shot straight at his chest. Not ready  for this level but to be honest, we didn't see enough so may be wrong.

Mansfield were on the ropes in the first half with 3 players booked, the keeper and manager both wound up. A 2nd goal before HT would have killed it and we'd be looking at 4 or 5 in the second half.

Not a bad result, but need a win next time out otherwise it starts to look like a bad run.

Two saves, you clearly missed the one where he went down at the feet of their lad who was on his way trough, pretty brave I thought.

Jones is going nowhere he's a better player than the one that joined us and from what I understand an attacking left mid prior to coming on board, give him a break or at least a 4-3-3 to play in.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 79
BottesfordMariner
December 26, 2017, 8:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
For me the game really summed up the season so far.

Not excrement but not great either. Endeavour from the players was there but without too much end product. Didnt really do enough to see  the game off and get 3 points.

The lack of a serious goal threat up front all too apparent. If Town are serious about making a play off push they need to address the lack of creativity and scoring threat.

And there in lays the problem or me...........ok I shall be the first in this thread to say it. The problem is the manager. Nothing will change whilst RS is in charge. Because he wont see it as 2 points dropped . He will see it has a competitive  performance (which it was) in which we kept our shape and worked hard. That may do the trick away but at home the onus is on the home team to be on the front foot and ask questions of the opposition.

Whilst the 1st half was ok and i thought we went into half time deservedly in front the 2nd half was a different story....a story that repeats itself too frequently. RS decides to hold on to what  he's got rather than go for a 2nd and see the opposition off. Mansfield were poor in the 1st half (disappointing for a team with their ambitions) , looked shaky at the back and there for the taking. But we gave up the initiative in the 2nd half and they gradually got into the game. The equaliser was coming for a while and once again RS's lack of in game management evident again.

The game was drifting away from Town but we diid NOTHING to stop it. Whatever substitutions we make it is ALWAYS like for like with no change to the team shape or tactically.

RS has been a professional football manager for almost 20 years and never won anything and never won a promotion.....FACT. Quite incredible and not looking like that will change anytime soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 79
Mrs Doyle
December 26, 2017, 8:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Approval: +4,859
Thought we fell asleep in the lead up to their goal and that was a pity because up until then we looked very solid at the back.

Vernon looked slow and totally ineffective but at least that was only for the short time he was on. Woolford looked like that all game gave away a lot of silly free kicks.

The ref was awful wanted to be the centre of attention fat boy Evans looked like a little dumpling swearing and gobbing off the ref should have sent him to the stands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 79
GrimRob
December 26, 2017, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Considering we lost our keeper in the first half and the ref more or less made Matt go off as our second substitute our hands were very tied as Slade had only one card to play. Always thought one goal wouldn't be enough to beat them, shame there was a handball in the one goal they managed to score and we should have had a pen. But if I would been very disappointed not to get at least a point if I were a Mansfield supporter.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
For me the game really summed up the season so far.

Not excrement but not great either. Endeavour from the players was there but without too much end product. Didnt really do enough to see  the game off and get 3 points.

The lack of a serious goal threat up front all too apparent. If Town are serious about making a play off push they need to address the lack of creativity and scoring threat.

And there in lays the problem or me...........ok I shall be the first in this thread to say it. The problem is the manager. Nothing will change whilst RS is in charge. Because he wont see it as 2 points dropped . He will see it has a competitive  performance (which it was) in which we kept our shape and worked hard. That may do the trick away but at home the onus is on the home team to be on the front foot and ask questions of the opposition.

Whilst the 1st half was ok and i thought we went into half time deservedly in front the 2nd half was a different story....a story that repeats itself too frequently. RS decides to hold on to what  he's got rather than go for a 2nd and see the opposition off. Mansfield were poor in the 1st half (disappointing for a team with their ambitions) , looked shaky at the back and there for the taking. But we gave up the initiative in the 2nd half and they gradually got into the game. The equaliser was coming for a while and once again RS's lack of in game management evident again.

The game was drifting away from Town but we diid NOTHING to stop it. Whatever substitutions we make it is ALWAYS like for like with no change to the team shape or tactically.

RS has been a professional football manager for almost 20 years and never won anything and never won a promotion.....FACT. Quite incredible and not looking like that will change anytime soon.

To be fair Slade did say to JT on the radio that he thought it was 2 points dropped, as TOC says above he could have quite easily have brought Berrett and DJ on and put 5 in mid field. In the last 20 Town got more players forward than in recent weeks and you have to give Mansfield credit as much as say we lacked the killer instinct, they are above us in the league for a reason.  

Agree Slade is pragmatic and like many managers in the EFL & Prem has never won anything but lest not lose sight of the fact that we are a small club with a small budget in a small backwater so recruitment is not easy both on and off the pitch.    

I went to Luton on Saturday and thought they where really decent got the ball down, moved well and finished even better but this is their 4th season of building since returning to the league they have good gates so a decent budget and location wise arguably a bigger pool of talent to pick from.

Whether or not it's with Slade remains to be seen but it takes time or decent money to get out of this/any league we don't have the latter but need to be realistic about the former.      

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 79
BottesfordMariner
December 26, 2017, 8:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Rob I accept today we lost our keeper and Slade did the sensible thing in taking off Matt who was  becoming increasingly frustrated by the incompetence of the ref (that was going to only have 1 outcome).

But what does he do with his last substitution he withdraws Jones and kept Woolford on. Not saying Jones was great today either but Woolford was (once again) non existent. He had no impact on the game at all but he remained on the pitch for t he sole reason he kept his position and kept the team shape. Regardless that he was virtually an onlooker as the game passed him by.

No Slade was not going to make a positive substitution and maybe but Jaiseyimi  on for Woolford. Go for the win and bring on a player who actually make  a positive contribution. NO.. that would mean we might lose a bit a shape defensively and risk losing a goal. No best play it safe Slade. Hold on to the point eh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 79
golfer
December 26, 2017, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
When Killip had the ball on 1 hand and their player headed it off it was not a foul. In this instance the referees inadequacies in giving us a free kick most likely saved us from an unfortunate defeat. He must have given 4 or 5 lectures  for minor fouls and let the more serious ones go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer
When Killip had the ball on 1 hand and their player headed it off it was not a foul. In this instance the referees inadequacies in giving us a free kick most likely saved us from an unfortunate defeat. He must have given 4 or 5 lectures  for minor fouls and let the more serious ones go.

Gary Crosby did it for Forest once and the goal stood.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 79
GrimRob
December 26, 2017, 9:29pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Rob I accept today we lost our keeper and Slade did the sensible thing in taking off Matt who was  becoming increasingly frustrated by the incompetence of the ref (that was going to only have 1 outcome).

But what does he do with his last substitution he withdraws Jones and kept Woolford on. Not saying Jones was great today either but Woolford was (once again) non existent. He had no impact on the game at all but he remained on the pitch for t he sole reason he kept his position and kept the team shape. Regardless that he was virtually an onlooker as the game passed him by.

No Slade was not going to make a positive substitution and maybe but Jaiseyimi  on for Woolford. Go for the win and bring on a player who actually make  a positive contribution. NO.. that would mean we might lose a bit a shape defensively and risk losing a goal. No best play it safe Slade. Hold on to the point eh.

I think hindsight plays a part in your comments. The score was 1-0 when he replaced Jones with Hooper. A like for like swap. Generally the strikers are both swapped as they do the most running and are the biggest impact players. It wasn't that negative a substitution as it was a like for like swap. He could have brought on a midfielder for a striker if he was trying to protect the lead. If he'd have waited 5 mins he might have kept Jones on, he probably would have done, if the score was 1-1.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 79
FishOutOfWater
December 26, 2017, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Gary Crosby did it for Forest once and the goal stood.

You're right he did... at least the Mansfield player didn't put the ball in the back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 79
Garth
December 26, 2017, 9:46pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quote[b][/b]
Oh yeah forgot to add Jamey should be back on Saturday and has to feature, where do we play him & in what shape I wonder?
Man of the match again today, would have scored from distance but for a great save by the keeper.

According to Solihull`s manager,  Maidenhead`s team were queing up to kick him throughout the match, so the quicker he`s back the better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 9:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth
Quote[b][/b]
Man of the match again today, would have scored from distance but for a great save by the keeper.

According to Solihull`s manager,  Maidenhead`s team were queing up to kick him throughout the match, so the quicker he`s back the better

Agree completely, apparently he's played 5 games for them and won MOM for all 5. Exciting to think that we could have a team with talent like him and Dembelle in the staring line up, all we need is a striker who can find space and the pace of Tombola and who knows?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
Tommy
December 26, 2017, 9:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Difficult to really argue with a draw being a fair result. We were the better side in the first half and should've doubled our lead, even in the 2nd half when Rose tried bundling it in, but Mansfield turned the screw and had long spells of pressure 2nd half. So for me, as frustrating as it was not to take all 3 points, a draw was a fair result.

First half we played the better football. Football being the key word as Mansfield looked to play one way and that was to launch it long at every opportunity. Rose with the composure in possession and Summerfield also receiving the ball well under pressure and looking to up the tempo and play forward. Jamille Matt was causing real problems for the Mansfield centre-backs, who both had a terrible time in the 1st half. The only issues we had 1st half was not adding to our lead, and we were conceding far too many free kicks, giving them the chance to lump it in our box (their centre half no.5 should've actually scored when it dropped to him on the volley in our box).

Their right back no.16 should've gone off as he pulled someone back when they went past him (Matt I think it was?) and in any other instance that's a yellow card but as it would've been his second, the ref didn't fancy it. Shocking really when you think of some of the other offences players were booked for. No surprise to see him hooked at half time.

Killip came on and the first thing you want a young debutant keeper making his debut to do is have an easy save/claim in the first few minutes to settle him down. He didn't have anything to do before half time other than collect a few headed back-passes. I reckon at half-time Evans got one of his staff to google him because 2nd half Mansfield did everything they could to intimidate him and get inside his head.

Second half Matt did well to engineer a chance for Rose, and although it looked to most like a miss, I actually think the defender cleared it against Rose's shins and it rolled just wide.

Then the ref had his influence on the game. Jamille Matt was spoken to about persistent fouling (you could see the ref pointing to 2 or 3 areas where he had committed "fouls") and then a minute later is booked for doing nothing but standing his ground. Another minute later and he challenges for the ball, gets something on it fairly, but their player goes down and 2 of their goons rush to the ref asking for a red card. Slade did the right thing bringing him off otherwise we'd have been playing with 10 the next time Matt breathed near one of their players.

This was the most instrumental moment in the game as Matt had been excellent up until that point and we lost the focal point of our attack. Vernon came on and we no longer had an outlet or anyone to keep hold of the ball when it went up. Vernon might have experience and gives his all but I really don't see what type of striker he is, and he was particularly poor in his 20 minutes today.

Killip did ok and was smartly and quickly off his line to dive at the feet of the forward who was running through. Their goal seemed to come from nothing despite them having 10 minutes of pinning us in our own half. Heard shouts of handball in the buildup but have to be honest I didn't notice anything at the time.

By the time they equalised Hooper had come on for Jones 5 minutes earlier which left us with no more subs to make. This was the GK sub that did for us as we desperately needed another sub here to give us back some impetus going forward to have another go for the 3 points. Dembele was knackered although he came alive a few times when he got the ball to go on decent runs.

Mansfield's momentum fizzled out 5 minutes before the end because we actually ended up having a spell pinning them back. Summerfield with a couple of great corners in, a clearance off their line and Rose looked to be pushed over in their box with nothing given.

Not a bad game overall that was quite open at times. We just lacked that change from the bench that could have a positive impact either when Matt went off, or later on once we'd lost the lead (I know we'd made 3 subs by then but point remains). I've said it repeatedly but I'd like to see Cardwell given opportunities (at least from the bench) as he could occupy defenders, be a mobile target, and he's got a bit of pace to force teams deeper or make something of hopeful balls. Aside from DJ on our bench today who most would agree would be in our strongest XI, it's such a slow bunch isn't it. I know pace isn't everything but you need a bit of mobility in your team.

Final thought: Ben Davies was excellent and looks very accomplished at left back.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 79
Grimal
December 26, 2017, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Quoted from golfer

I think you are wrong there Golfer --
. " A goalkeeper in the act of distributing the ball may not be challenged under these circumstances.  (This includes trying to head a ball out of the goalkeeper's open hand or playing a ball being bounced or tossed into the air by the goalkeeper"

GOALKEEPER POSSESSION OF THE BALL
The goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when the ball is held with both hands, held by trapping the ball between one hand and any surface (e.g., the ground, a goalpost, the goalkeeper’s body), or holding the ball in the outstretched open palm.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
Tommy
December 26, 2017, 10:02pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from golfer

That was correctly given as a foul. Goalkeepers don't have to have it in 2 hands as was the rule in the 70s. If they have in their control in one or two hands and a player knocks it out of their grasp it's a foul.

All that was, was another attempt from Mansfield at getting in Killip's head as a young debutant.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 26, 2017, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
Difficult to really argue with a draw being a fair result. We were the better side in the first half and should've doubled our lead, even in the 2nd half when Rose tried bundling it in, but Mansfield turned the screw and had long spells of pressure 2nd half. So for me, as frustrating as it was not to take all 3 points, a draw was a fair result.

First half we played the better football. Football being the key word as Mansfield looked to play one way and that was to launch it long at every opportunity. Rose with the composure in possession and Summerfield also receiving the ball well under pressure and looking to up the tempo and play forward. Jamille Matt was causing real problems for the Mansfield centre-backs, who both had a terrible time in the 1st half. The only issues we had 1st half was not adding to our lead, and we were conceding far too many free kicks, giving them the chance to lump it in our box (their centre half no.5 should've actually scored when it dropped to him on the volley in our box).

Their right back no.16 should've gone off as he pulled someone back when they went past him (Matt I think it was?) and in any other instance that's a yellow card but as it would've been his second, the ref didn't fancy it. Shocking really when you think of some of the other offences players were booked for. No surprise to see him hooked at half time.

Killip came on and the first thing you want a young debutant keeper making his debut to do is have an easy save/claim in the first few minutes to settle him down. He didn't have anything to do before half time other than collect a few headed back-passes. I reckon at half-time Evans got one of his staff to google him because 2nd half Mansfield did everything they could to intimidate him and get inside his head.

Second half Matt did well to engineer a chance for Rose, and although it looked to most like a miss, I actually think the defender cleared it against Rose's shins and it rolled just wide.

Then the ref had his influence on the game. Jamille Matt was spoken to about persistent fouling (you could see the ref pointing to 2 or 3 areas where he had committed "fouls") and then a minute later is booked for doing nothing but standing his ground. Another minute later and he challenges for the ball, gets something on it fairly, but their player goes down and 2 of their goons rush to the ref asking for a red card. Slade did the right thing bringing him off otherwise we'd have been playing with 10 the next time Matt breathed near one of their players.

This was the most instrumental moment in the game as Matt had been excellent up until that point and we lost the focal point of our attack. Vernon came on and we no longer had an outlet or anyone to keep hold of the ball when it went up. Vernon might have experience and gives his all but I really don't see what type of striker he is, and he was particularly poor in his 20 minutes today.

Killip did ok and was smartly and quickly off his line to dive at the feet of the forward who was running through. Their goal seemed to come from nothing despite them having 10 minutes of pinning us in our own half. Heard shouts of handball in the buildup but have to be honest I didn't notice anything at the time.

By the time they equalised Hooper had come on for Jones 5 minutes earlier which left us with no more subs to make. This was the GK sub that did for us as we desperately needed another sub here to give us back some impetus going forward to have another go for the 3 points. Dembele was knackered although he came alive a few times when he got the ball to go on decent runs.

Mansfield's momentum fizzled out 5 minutes before the end because we actually ended up having a spell pinning them back. Summerfield with a couple of great corners in, a clearance off their line and Rose looked to be pushed over in their box with nothing given.

Not a bad game overall that was quite open at times. We just lacked that change from the bench that could have a positive impact either when Matt went off, or later on once we'd lost the lead (I know we'd made 3 subs by then but point remains). I've said it repeatedly but I'd like to see Cardwell given opportunities (at least from the bench) as he could occupy defenders, be a mobile target, and he's got a bit of pace to force teams deeper or make something of hopeful balls. Aside from DJ on our bench today who most would agree would be in our strongest XI, it's such a slow bunch isn't it. I know pace isn't everything but you need a bit of mobility in your team.

Final thought: Ben Davies was excellent and looks very accomplished at left back.

Great write up Tommy, one that would not look out of place in the GET in the morning to be fair.

Agree about the pace, even though they where a lot better than us at Luton on Saturday like today there was enough opportunities to break but we just didn't have the pace, Cardwell or ultimately Bolarinwa could offer this but for it to work our all round support play or the ability to switch play quickly will need to improve............. Still think we are getting better and close to being half decent for this league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 79
UFindusMariner
December 26, 2017, 10:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
We are not far away, personally would like to see a left winger, left back and one more striker in. Davies has been superb at left back although would be nice to have a natural left footer in to balance the team out. The left winger would ideally be pacey, it is no coincidence that our form has improved since we went with Dembele/DJ out wide. A striker to be in and around Matt would be nice, someone making runs in behind.

Matt may not be the out and out scorer all fans crave but he does an incredible amount of running and is an effing nightmare to play against!

Osborne has to start or at least play a bit part when he is back, somdone who has plenty to their arsenal is so badly needed. He can tackle, has an engine and is creative. Who makes way for him?

We are roughly half way through now and Luton aside is there really another team in this league that look too good? I would argue not.

Big few weeks coming up, if we can stay around the PO pack by end of Jan then we have a real chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
arryarryarry
December 26, 2017, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I thought it was an OK game but in my opinion both teams lacked quality apart from Dembele. There was little to get the fans going or upping the atmosphere which was quite flat.

I understand DJ hasn't had the best of games recently but for frigs sick what was Slade doing bringing back Woolford who has been crap in just about every game he has played and offers nothing to the team.

We are in desperate need of at least one other striker both Vernon and Hooper were poor when they came on, a left back in case Davies gets injured, another central midfielder because Summerfield and Rose although playing quite well neither look like the sort of players to create opportunities for our forwards, and a left sided wide player because if DJ isn't first choice then we cannot continue playing with 10 men as Woolford is a waste of space.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
Mariner Timsky
December 26, 2017, 10:35pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Personally would love to see Jamey Osborne back on Sat and playing off MATT up top, , replacing Jones??

Or will RS stick him out on the left??

Certainly can’t see Summerfield or Rose being dropped

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
mariner tommy
December 26, 2017, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from pontoonlew

But it was Davies who made the mistake which led to their goal
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
Grantley
December 26, 2017, 11:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
I think there’s a case for handball for their goal looking at the highlights; most of our players appeal for it and it could explain why Davies misjudges the ball.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 79
oochiad
December 27, 2017, 12:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
It was a blatant handball from where I was sat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
Mrs Doyle
December 27, 2017, 3:58am
Whiskey Drinker
On Killip.

I thought he did well first time thrown into a big game looked a bit nervous understandable and Fat boy clearly told his players to rattle him on goal kicks. He caught the ball well and made some good kicks into space one in particular for rose.

Well done son he will have enjoyed that and want more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
Mrs Doyle
December 27, 2017, 4:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Cardwell has to be in front of Vernon for me he has pace, energy and height and will probably be a lot more effective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 79
1mickylyons
December 27, 2017, 7:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I actually enjoyed most of the game upto Matt going off and thought Town looked far the better side.After that with the Ref under Evans spell we did well to get a draw. Vernon was pathetic and with Woolford and Hooper also on the pitch the remaining 7 outfield players did brilliant to see the game out. I find it bizarre that Woolford,Hooper and Vernon can get on the pitch in front of Cardwell and DJ at anytime?If RS can get rid of 6-7 and bring in 2-3 better players for them we wont be far off the Play Offs and if he can`t we will finish midtable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
golfer
December 27, 2017, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
I just don't understand why Cardwell wasn't even on the bench. He would have been ideal to replace Matt. You can't really say Vernon is a "fresh" pair of legs no matter when he comes on. He tries--full stop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
1mickylyons
December 27, 2017, 8:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from golfer
I just don't understand why Cardwell wasn't even on the bench. He would have been ideal to replace Matt. You can't really say Vernon is a "fresh" pair of legs no matter when he comes on. He tries--full stop.

He never won a header or even passed once whilst on the pitch from what I can recall.No point slagging him off but the comment he tries would apply to me and you and likewise we probably wouldn't be worth a shirt either? We must have better than that to come off the bench it`s not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
Maringer
December 27, 2017, 9:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm very surprised people think Dembele had a good game as it was one of his worst for me. The only chance he created that I can recall was a run and a cross that led Woolford's shot (which Vernon inadvertently blocked!). I don't subscribe to ifollow but I'd be surprised if the highlights showed he did much more than that.

Biggest difference between the two sides yesterday was from the subs - their subs livened things up a bit, ours slowed us down even more.

Vernon's worst performance for us that I can remember as he did absolutely nothing right, though Hooper showed the odd decent touch.

Ultimately, when it comes to the end of the season, I think it will be the lack of pace in the squad and poor options on the bench which will probably take us out of contention for the play-offs.

Might be worth sticking Osbourne on one of the wings when he returns as he couldn't do worse than the highly disappointing Woolford did yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
lukeo
December 27, 2017, 9:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Refreshing for me to see Slade has said it is 2 points dropped considering its against a team who was ment to be running away with the league with all the money they've spent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
1mickylyons
December 27, 2017, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'm very surprised people think Dembele had a good game as it was one of his worst for me. The only chance he created that I can recall was a run and a cross that led Woolford's shot (which Vernon inadvertently blocked!). I don't subscribe to ifollow but I'd be surprised if the highlights showed he did much more than that.

Biggest difference between the two sides yesterday was from the subs - their subs livened things up a bit, ours slowed us down even more.

Vernon's worst performance for us that I can remember as he did absolutely nothing right, though Hooper showed the odd decent touch.

Ultimately, when it comes to the end of the season, I think it will be the lack of pace in the squad and poor options on the bench which will probably take us out of contention for the play-offs.

Might be worth sticking Osbourne on one of the wings when he returns as he couldn't do worse than the highly disappointing Woolford did yesterday.

Which stand did you watch the game from mate,that may have a bearing? I was in the Upper and thought he carried our threat the few times he got on the ball and I can`t remember him losing the ball a lot but my motm was a toss up between Rose/Summerfield with honourable mentions to Davies and Matt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 27, 2017, 10:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Which stand did you watch the game from mate,that may have a bearing? I was in the Upper and thought he carried our threat the few times he got on the ball and I can`t remember him losing the ball a lot but my motm was a toss up between Rose/Summerfield with honourable mentions to Davies and Matt.

I would also suport another poster's comments from yesterday in that the contribution Clarke is making is getting overlooked by some of our fans. After a.pretty sluggish start to his time with us he has grown in stature, rarely misses an header and appears a bit more mobile than when he first came. Davies also played well but having seen their goal again didn't realise it was from his blunder, still have to accept players do make errors we just hope they do not result in opposition scoring like yesterday.

No doubt how much better the team is playing and like all fellow town fans appreciate that a "fox in the box" striker would probably see us make the play offs. Without one we could finish anywhere between 16th and 8th depending how much we move forwards with Osbourne's return. Please RS put him straight back in for Woolford this Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
devs
December 27, 2017, 10:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Funny old game as they say... at times this season I think the praise for Dembele has been over the top but yesterday he was superb IMO
Always a threat, full of energy, great with the ball... end product needs improving a lot but then most playerrs at L2 it;s the same

Some of the 'gripes' about Killip are ridiculous - young lad, making his debut, Mansfield trying to rattle him... thought he was excellent

For me Rose and Summerfield faded a little second half allowing Mansfield to dominate centre midfield

Matt had his best game - Jones was always giving them problems - Woolford is a huge disappointment

Osbourne will replace him on the left (even though not his best position)  - rest of team as per starting XI v Stags

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
Mariner93er
December 27, 2017, 10:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
I was annoyed pre game that Woodford was on the top sheet and now am even more annoyed, as we were essentially playing with 10 men. It's not as if he even does a better defensive job than dj, he's so slow he's always chasing the game. We've got an Accrington team who are on a bad run next, and I'll be annoyed once more if dj is not back in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
GTFC_85
December 27, 2017, 11:21am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +252
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Dembele was hopeless until the last 15 minutes

Are you blind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
TAGG
December 27, 2017, 11:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
I really enjoyed the game first half.
First half with and without the ball we were very good apart from Woolford who contributed nothing first or second half hope to never see him in a Town shirt again. The ref first half not so bad.
Second half he copulated up what was a decent game.
Back 4 were outstanding Mills my MOM
UTM

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
friskneymariner
December 27, 2017, 12:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Why is Woolford anywhere near the squad.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
rancido
December 27, 2017, 12:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Of course Killip looked nervous it was his debut and he is a young guy hoping to have a long career in the game, he did nothing wrong and made some decent saves/interceptions, but clearly not of Hendeson's class/stature. To be fair a commanding keeper would still be on my list of needs as Macca neve comes for a cross and this allows teams to throw the ball in between our penalty spot and six yard line which is the real danger zone.

Decent match but Mansfield actually did not play as well for the first 30 minutes as they did last season when they missed some real opportunities. Pretty much agree on who played well but I also thought Rose had a good game and showed a real willingness to get in the box whilst Clarke & Davies were excellent defensively.

Up front Matt puts himself about effectively, unless your the ref, and Jones continues to show his true self in brief cameos but like in the second half that should have resulted in us scoring. I have some sympathy re the great run by Summerfield and when you are in the Upper Findus it looks a straightforward pass but as he collected the ball he was already turning towards the touchline and thus not in a position to play that reverse pass.

We look much more like a side now and if Osbourne replaces the totally ineffective Woolford we will be further improved. That elusive striker would have made the big difference today but so would awarding the most blatant of penalties. Add this to his failure to send off their number 2 and you really have had a bad day. I think we got behind them on four occasions only to be cynically fouled, professional it maybe but its bloody annoying and needed to result in their full back getting sent off.

What is the point of Woolford and what does he bring to the game? To me he is a nothing player and I can't understand what RS sees in him and why he signed him. It's this kind of signing that makes me wonder who RS has in mind when ( or if ) he brings in any new blood in January.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
oochiad
December 27, 2017, 12:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 27
I thought Woolford did quite a lot, he gave Mansfield plenty of free kicks.........😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 79
sam gy
December 27, 2017, 1:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Wasn’t it Woolford that made the challenge, which started the attack from which we scored?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 79
golfer
December 27, 2017, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Woolford didn't seem too bad in first half to be honest-it's only when our "tactics" were changed that he didn't know what was going on. I think several of the players shouldn't go to the half time team talks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 79
headingly_mariner
December 27, 2017, 6:05pm

Vodka Drinker
A lot of shite for Woolford on here. Yes he didn't have a great game, didn't do a lot wrong either though. I wouldn't have selected him instead of DJ but maybe he needed a rest. Woolford is a decent player who hasn't had a run of games in the last few seasons due to form and injuries, he certainly doesn't look past it though.

Just because a player has a bad game or the manager doesn't pick who you want does'nt mean they are shite or they need a total slamming on here.

I can understand players getting stick if they don't try, I've seen none of that from our players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 79
rancido
December 27, 2017, 6:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner
A lot of shite for Woolford on here. Yes he didn't have a great game, didn't do a lot wrong either though. I wouldn't have selected him instead of DJ but maybe he needed a rest. Woolford is a decent player who hasn't had a run of games in the last few seasons due to form and injuries, he certainly doesn't look past it though.

Just because a player has a bad game or the manager doesn't pick who you want does'nt mean they are shite or they need a total slamming on here.

I can understand players getting stick if they don't try, I've seen none of that from our players.

He hasn't had a good game that I have seen and I think RS prefers him because he brought him to the club and to exclude him would question RS' judgement on the players he has signed.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 79
rancido
December 27, 2017, 6:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
Wasn’t it Woolford that made the challenge, which started the attack from which we scored?

A very tenuous reason to praise him though!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 79
lukeo
December 27, 2017, 6:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Well I'm looking forward to coming to Grimsby tomorrow and sampling the new styled Grimsby on new year day v Stanley  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 79
friskneymariner
December 27, 2017, 6:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Please name one game in which Woolford has played well.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 79
barralad
December 27, 2017, 6:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from friskneymariner
Please name one game in which Woolford has played well.

Accrington away...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 79
mariner91
December 27, 2017, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from rancido

He hasn't had a good game that I have seen and I think RS prefers him because he brought him to the club and to exclude him would question RS' judgement on the players he has signed.

He also brought DJ and Kelly to the club so that argument is wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 79
GyMariner
December 27, 2017, 6:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
We're currently 4th in the form guide based on the last 6 games (including some tough fixtures). We're above Notts county and only 2 points from joint second with Luton at the top.

In our next 3 games we're playing 2 teams that currently sit 23rd and 24th in the form guide, and a steady Crewe outfit.

Although I agree we'll need a couple of Janurary signings to mount a real challenge. Despite all these so called 'bad players' no one will fancy playing us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 79
headingly_mariner
December 27, 2017, 7:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I thought he was good against Yeovil, Crewe and Accrington. He hasn't played a lot of football, I think he will end up being a decent signing. He might not be a flying winger, but he has quality.
As for Slade's reason for playing him, the players left out of the squad that he's signed suggest you're probably wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 79
Maringer
December 27, 2017, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I watch from the Upper Findus (or whatever it is called three days - I lose track) and Dembele just didn't do anything for me. He wasn't anonymous like Woolford for much of the game, but didn't pass the ball simply often enough and was guilty of attempting to over-complicate too often.

He's got bags of ability, but I'd like to see him let the ball do the work more often with simple passing and movement. That's when we've seen the best of him but, as with so many players with good close skills, they tend to try and take on players when it isn't necessary and it actually makes them less effective. See also Jones and Jaiyesimi for this failing - yesterday, Jones butchered that simple chance to put Summerfield through because his first thought is to twist and turn when he gets the ball instead of looking for the pass.

The best players know when to pass or move and when to take on a player. Not sure if Dembele and Co can learn this or not, but it would be better for us and them if we could.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 79
Maringer
December 27, 2017, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'll add that I've been very disappointed with Woolford. He started well in his first couple of appearances, but now just doesn't get involved enough when he does play. You'd expect someone with his experience and relative pedigree to offer a lot more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 79
LH
December 27, 2017, 9:28pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
I don’t think it was Dembele’s worst game for us but not his best either. A few teams have done well dealing with him by chucking two or three defenders on him when he gets on the ball but Mansfield let him get it for most of the game. Saying that I think all of our starting forward players had a fairly easy game in that sense especiallt Matt.

On Woolford: I’ve been disappointed with but we were warned about him by Sheff Utd fans. I think DJ would have been better off starting yesterday anyway but even more so having seen how poor Mansfield were against our attacking players. That would have given them two flanks to worry about as we were a bit lopsided with Woolford starting.

I think my comments about Killip have been misunderstood as I was a bit vague. He did make a couple of excellent saves - notably the well timed stop on the edge of the box that if mistimed could easily have been a penalty. Somebody else compared his confidence to that of Boxing Day 2016 debutant Dean Henderson. I don’t think Mansfield would have tried the tricks like loitering on the edge of the box and heading it out of Henderson’s hands. It’s going fairly well for us at the minute and I’d hate for us to get beat heavily because we had an unconfident keeper in goal - for the team’s sake and his future career. All I’m saying is that I’d rather field a youngster in a game voluntarily and not forced into a change like yesterday. Slade must be happy with Killip though as he is his signing.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2017, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I watch from the Upper Findus (or whatever it is called three days - I lose track) and Dembele just didn't do anything for me. He wasn't anonymous like Woolford for much of the game, but didn't pass the ball simply often enough and was guilty of attempting to over-complicate too often.He's got bags of ability, but I'd like to see him let the ball do the work more often with simple passing and movement. That's when we've seen the best of him but, as with so many players with good close skills, they tend to try and take on players when it isn't necessary and it actually makes them less effective. See also Jones and Jaiyesimi for this failing - yesterday, Jones butchered that simple chance to put Summerfield through because his first thought is to twist and turn when he gets the ball instead of looking for the pass.

The best players know when to pass or move and when to take on a player. Not sure if Dembele and Co can learn this or not, but it would be better for us and them if we could.

Interesting view on Dembelle's contribution yesterday and the Jones bit which I assume was when we had a potential break just before half time. I have a different view on this in that for differing reasons both are still learning their trade at this level.

A ball player like Dembelle is only as good as the movement coming off him or the close support he has and at the moment our movement is pretty poor and only average at best and our inconsistent support play means that players get isolated very easily. Yesterday the lad tried to create things which is an asset that we need and will come good as RS levels out this lop sided squad.

Re the Jones comment I just think that he didn't  have the ability to do what some expected from him, but he is a better player than the one that joined us and all being well with support from RS and Wilco will improve further. Remember he is not by trade a striker he has been an attacking left mid most of his very modest career.  

The bit in bold from your post is quite interesting, I actually agree with you in principle but please take some time to consider the individuals both of whom are at their first EFL clubs. Jones though 25/26 only played 125 senior games before joining us and in career terms Dembelle is a baby with Town being his first senior professional club.    

I think at times many people have a very inflated exception and view of where we are as a club both Jones and Dembelle are good lads and good assets to our squad I for one would like to see them both develop in a Town shirt for a good while yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 79
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2017, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
I don’t think it was Dembele’s worst game for us but not his best either. A few teams have done well dealing with him by chucking two or three defenders on him when he gets on the ball but Mansfield let him get it for most of the game. Saying that I think all of our starting forward players had a fairly easy game in that sense especiallt Matt.

On Woolford: I’ve been disappointed with but we were warned about him by Sheff Utd fans. I think DJ would have been better off starting yesterday anyway but even more so having seen how poor Mansfield were against our attacking players. That would have given them two flanks to worry about as we were a bit lopsided with Woolford starting.

I think my comments about Killip have been misunderstood as I was a bit vague. He did make a couple of excellent saves - notably the well timed stop on the edge of the box that if mistimed could easily have been a penalty. Somebody else compared his confidence to that of Boxing Day 2016 debutant Dean Henderson. I don’t think Mansfield would have tried the tricks like loitering on the edge of the box and heading it out of Henderson’s hands. It’s going fairly well for us at the minute and I’d hate for us to get beat heavily because we had an unconfident keeper in goal - for the team’s sake and his future career. All I’m saying is that I’d rather field a youngster in a game voluntarily and not forced into a change like yesterday. Slade must be happy with Killip though as he is his signing.

Though we deride the fat jock he is no mug and neither are his players, yesterday I thought their shape was strong and they stopped both of our full backs making telling contributions to our attack by doubting up with our wide players especially in the 2nd half.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 79
arryarryarry
December 28, 2017, 1:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I thought he was good against Yeovil, Crewe and Accrington. He hasn't played a lot of football, I think he will end up being a decent signing. He might not be a flying winger, but he has quality.
As for Slade's reason for playing him, the players left out of the squad that he's signed suggest you're probably wrong.

Apart from his goal at Accrington I have yet to see any real quality and on Tuesday it looked like we were playing with 10 men for most of the game he was completely anonymous.

When is he likely to end up being a decent signing as we are over half way through the season. In my opinion based on his contribution so far he is no where near as good as some of those sent out on loan and I just cannot understand why Slade sent them out whilst keeping a seemingly unfit Woolford and continuing to play him.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 79
Davec
December 28, 2017, 8:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
When Slade was talking about the heat maps and stuff at the fans forum he did mention that Woolford scores highly on this so that is probably why he plays him, we know Slade values hardwork over creativity as it may help keep a clean sheet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 79
Mariner93er
December 28, 2017, 8:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
The probably is, he's do slow, it's easy for the team to get men quickly behind the ball. It's similar to the monkhouse situation in that without a flying fullback, he is redundant. Davies is good at getting forward on the right side, but on the left often hesitates due to a lack of confidence in his left foot. At this level anyway, I think quick raw wingers are far more effective than slow intelligent ones. There simply isn't enough football played for them to be effectivr.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 79
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.