5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
December 7, 2017, 10:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
If you could go back and relive one Town game which one would you pick?

For me Town 1 WBA 0 with the full on Ivano effect can anyone recall Blundell Park getting anywhere near those decibel levels since the seats went in? What a day what an atmosphere what a goal and what a set of circumstances surrounding it all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
December 7, 2017, 11:18am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197

1980.... Town 4-0 Sheffield Utd

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
Les Brechin
December 7, 2017, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from 1mickylyons

For me Town 1 WBA 0 with the full on Ivano effect can anyone recall Blundell Park getting anywhere near those decibel levels since the seats went in? What a day what an atmosphere what a goal and what a set of circumstances surrounding it all.

Does it have to be one that you actually saw?

If so, then the Exeter game in 1991 when we clinched promotion to what is now The Championship. At least then I'd be able to relax for the last 5 minutes or so, knowing that Shaun Taylor's header was hitting the post.

If not I'd go back to 1933 and either of the games v Man United when we won 3-1 at Old Trafford and 7-3 at BP on Christmas Day and Boxing Day respectively.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
barralad
December 7, 2017, 11:31am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1mickylyons

God. We were "spoilt" in those days. The only game for me which came close noise level-wise was the home play off leg v Fulham. When that goal went in the noise in the Pontoon was amazing. My favourite ever game was the 3-2 win over Barnsley in 1982 (Good Friday) when we came from 2-0 down. The look of shock on the faces of the Yorkies after the game was priceless. I'd gladly go back to that game.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
Jarmo.Is.God
December 7, 2017, 11:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I'm only 24, which you can probably tell, but mine would be...

Wembley vs FGR

or

FA CUP Away at Scunny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
RoboCod
December 7, 2017, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Great choice Barra! It's hard to pick one out but that game always springs to mind. Keegans expensive side, Peschisolido's red card assualt in the first leg, and that goal you mention... time actually stopped for me as it dipped in under the bar. Everyone, absolutely everybody in the Ponny went mental and lost their senses for a few seconds. So lucky in some ways to be so spoilt for favourite memories from the past.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
GrimRob
December 7, 2017, 12:18pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
If it's a game in my lifetime I'd pick the Ivano one referred to by the OP. If it's before my lifetime I'd like to see us beat Man Utd 4-3 away on 11/10/1947, the last time we played them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 49
Fishbone
December 7, 2017, 12:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
When we beat Everton 2-1 on 30th October, 1979, League Cup 4th round, 22,043 at Blundell Park to witness Mick Brolly scoring twice, inspiring the headline in The Sun 'Good Golly, it's Brolly'. Was in the Harrington Street corner (open) in the teeming rain screaming for the final whistle for what felt like an eternity!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
KingstonMariner
December 7, 2017, 12:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
So many to choose from. And bearing in mind I’ve been exiled 30 odd years (some of them very odd).

A couple not mentioned so far : Rotherham at home in the same League Cup comp we beat Everton at Goodison. 6:0 or 6:1 the same week we thrashed Scunny. Southend Away March 1990.singing in the rain. Big Keef scoring. We are going up say we are going up.

So if I’m restricted to one it’d be the Sarfend game that Friday night when we suddenly realised promotion was coming.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
jaygy
December 7, 2017, 12:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
I was only young when we played Fulham in ‘98, we were sat in the temporary seating between the pontoon and findus and the noise was incredible! Iirc there was a pitch invasion when we scored? I would love to go back and experience that night as an adult!

I would also have loved to been at any of the big games in the 70’s and 80’s, it sounds like it was an incredible yet frightening experience and to someone who grew up in the sky sports era, those days sound like a totally different game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.