One Game

This thread currently has 5,596 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
SamoanMariner
December 8, 2017, 1:46am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +88
I was on that bus too! Unless more than one bus was bricked that night, which I guess is entirely feasible...

Set off from the Wheatsheaf in Louth?

Quoted from Stew0_0
An obvious one would be Jevons beating Liverpool at Anfield. Great night out apart from the brick through the back of our coach window on the way home.

But for pure entertainment value the best is still  6 - 5 Burnley at the BP. Think Kabba got a hattrick that night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
December 8, 2017, 5:24am
Guest User
Remember the aforementioned 3-2 comeback against Barnsley with great affection. The TV cameras were there iirc - a rarity in those days.

My choice would be the Barnsley match (Boxing Day 1979?? ) where the Bob Cumming v Norman Hunter confrontation ended decisively
in favour of our man. If the English language has an adjective to describe how much I loved that moment I don't know it!
Reply: 41 - 49
jock dock tower
December 8, 2017, 6:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Think for me it has to be the Town vs Wolves League Cup quarter final in 1979-80. For one glorious second it looked like we were going to our first major semi final since 1939 but the bar saved Wolves as Kev Moore's brilliant header was just kept out - we really were that close.

Had we beaten Wolves we'd have had an all 3rd Division semi final against Swindon Town, and who knows, we would have been heavy favourites then to get to Wembley. Funny thing is though, Swindon were early runaway leaders in the league and the League Cup seemed to drain them and they finished nowhere at the end of the season. Same might have happened to use had we got to the semis, we'll just never know. We may have emulated QPR though who won the League Cup as a 3rd Division team, coming back from 2 goals down to beat WBA 3-2, and win the title as well.

A gnat's cockhair of the woodwork paint stopped us from ever knowing, unfortunately.

The replay at Molineux was absolutely brilliant as well, coming back from a goal down to force a second replay at Derby. Always remember the huge Town support that night singing "She wore, she wore, she wore a yellow ribbon, she wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May...and when I asked her why she wore that ribbon she said it's for the Grimsby Town who're off to Wemberley" The whole stand was bouncing up and down at the end of the game singing that, and we really believed it!                  

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
arryarryarry
December 8, 2017, 6:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Far too many to want to watch again, but if I had to it would be my firstt ever match, Scunthorpe 7-1

Thankfully I have many of the old highlights videos so can watch at least the highlights of many of the games already mentioned   
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
PrestwichMariner
December 8, 2017, 8:40am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
The 1972 title win against Exeter - I was there but only 8 at the time and would love to experience it as an adult. Failing that the game against Ipswich when Super Clive got his hat trick on his return from long term injury, that was quite emotional.

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
totalidiot
December 8, 2017, 9:18am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
Too many to mention but particular games that stand out are
Reading away in the fa cup replay
Middlesbrough with northy's 2 goals
Hull City at home, 2-0 i believe with childs curling a winner in front of the ponny
Winning  1-0 at newcastle when drinkell scored in one of my first away games
3-2 victory at sheff utd with Gary Lund hatrick
1-0 win at pompey with des hazel scoring the best town goal i've ever seen

No 1 tho without doubt,away at everton with paul wilkinsons last minute winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Les Brechin
December 8, 2017, 9:30am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
This thread just goes to remind me that despite the past 15 year slump (barring the FGR Wembley game), we have had some bloody brilliant times in the past!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Fishbone
December 8, 2017, 9:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +172
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin
This thread just goes to remind me that despite the past 15 year slump (barring the FGR Wembley game), we have had some bloody brilliant times in the past!

Also reminds us that we could do with a cup run next season - disproportionate number of memories from cup competitions being cited!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
1mickylyons
December 8, 2017, 9:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Fishbone

Also reminds us that we could do with a cup run next season - disproportionate number of memories from cup competitions being cited!

I agree we don`t seem to have had much luck in the cups past 2 seasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
WesternMariner
December 9, 2017, 10:24am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 38
https://youtu.be/juxQmrKfZ24

V Villa 29/1/1994 I was in the old Imperial Corner with my best mate both of us going absolutely mental when Groves scored. Fantastic atmosphere with nearly 16,000 in and Villa having filled the away end corners and all. Match had everything, what we can look back now and say was a great Town side, sending offs, goals and a virtuoso performance from the best defender I've ever seen at BP - Paul McGrath ( I remember walking home cursing him in absolute admiration ). I consider myself fortunate to have been a fan during those great days the likes of which we probably will never see again.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One Game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.