Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Walsall - Tuesday - EFL Trophy
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Walsall - Tuesday - EFL Trophy

This thread currently has 23,591 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
August 27, 2016, 11:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Didn't even know we were playing! Shows how much I care.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 150
The Grim Reaper
August 27, 2016, 11:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
I'll be there. A few of us in a minibus. No principles here, just follow my team everywhere. FA Trophy, FA Cup, Milk Cup, Johnstones Paint, i'll be there. What flipping reason in the world have i got to boycott my team?

Are there going to be premier league sides in league 2? Are there intercourse.  

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 150
Vance Warner
August 27, 2016, 11:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Extremely naive if you think the powers that be aren't already trying to find a way to force B Teams into the league. Any fan that attends these matches is putting the future of meaningful competitive football in this country in doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 150
Mrbusdriver
August 27, 2016, 11:59pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
I don't know how to link something I read to here but I went and found info and thought someone would enjoy the read. Hope this is not too long.  It's copy paste underneath , enjoy the write up

(I myself wil only boycott any match with u21 team playing myself. Unless someone can change my mind why ofc some great points underneath and the only harm to comp is the u21 from the so called bigger teams making it a mockery.)

Due to the hideous plight of last season and relegation to League One, Bolton Wanderers will compete in the EFL Trophy, the Johnstone Paint Trophy to you and me, next season. It's a trophy that hasn't got the greatest prestige, but it is a trophy never the less and an opportunity for the Whites to travel to Wembley once more. However depressing it may be to see our name in the draw, we should not be condescending towards it and think our selves as above it, because we are clearly not.

That's what I would have said and believed had we fallen to League One two years ago and had we been readying ourselves for a season in the third tier this time one year ago. Now, however, I really could not give a rats bottom about the completion in the absolute slightest. I imagine you know why.

The draw for the cup was held on Wednesday and Wanderers were drawn with local rivals Blackpool, "Northern" side Cheltenham and, oh so gloriously, Everton's U21s. Aside from being drawn against a team in a regionalised tournament that are from flipping Gloucestershire, the EFL Trophy has drunk me, and an uncountable number of like minded fans, off big time with the addition of "top team" academies being added to the competition. The move is a number of things which we shall delve into momentarily, so prepare for angst, but most of all it's another crystal clear sign that the FA either don't know or don't care, almost definitely the latter, about the teams that prop up their beloved money making juggernaut that is the Premier League.

So, yeah, this year u21 teams of a certain number of Premier League and Championship clubs will compete in a trophy that was designed for the teams in League One and Two. A trophy that was created with the soul idea of giving clubs of lesser quality and status a chance really consistently compete in a knock-out competition and who knows? Maybe one day make it to the famous Wembley stadium and get a fleeting taste of glory.

Being a League One and Two club is hard going, it's like the blood soaked medieval battlefields; there is very little glory or grandeur, just a lot of sweat, effort and mud. Yeah, it might be a fun ride for relegated Championship teams who dip their toe in for a season and shoot back up, to them it's a refreshing dip in the pool, a nice change from grand stadiums to shacks with tin roofs. It's also no doubt amazing for a teams who manage to gain promotion from the conference. But to the vast majority of those teams who linger in League One and Two like it's  purgatory it's pure shite. Sure, the football in the moment may well be enjoyable - a last minute winner is great no matter where you play, be it the park or the Azteca - but in reality, it's shite.

It's just season after season after season of mediocre football and little to shout about. That's where the EFL Trophy comes in, and has done for many years now. It may not be the coveted of championships in the world of sport, but for fans of teams who spend years doing nothing but existing, it's a chance for them to see their sides get to Wembley and win a cup. Which is the dream of every football fan. It's easy to look down at it as tin pot, but is important.

Which is why it is an absolute travesty that the FA have decided to let these "bigger" sides put their youth teams into the tournament. It's an insult. Not only is it another example of the bigger fish stealing all the little fish's food, it's just so insulting, at least in my eyes, to force professional teams to play "bigger" team's youth sides for their improvement. It completely legitimises the completion, too, who in their right mind is going to watch their side face off against an academy? It's a joke. And if an academy side actually wins the flipping thing, then that'll be an absolute farce and render the completion completely utter pointless. Just imagine a final held at our home of football, the grand and special Wembley stadium, being competed by Wolves U21s vs Southampton U21s. I look forward to the FA trying to charge £60 for that one.

It seems to me that this is a precursor, the beginning, testing the waters, of the FA trying to get youth teams into the league structure. If that day ever comes it truly would be the death of our sport. Our league system is a thing of beauty, the absolute best in the world without question. Being able to populate four divisions with sides of real stature is a thing no where else in the world can do, and we should be proud of it. I'll be heartbroken if it ever happened.

Of course, the FA completely ignored or never even noticed supporters' concerns and hatred towards academy teams being in the completion, they've just masked it as "it'll help develop our youth" and "it'll benefit the country." What a load of balderdash. If these "bigger" sides want their youth to gain experience they should either flipping play them, loan them out or, preferably, stop hoarding every kid that shows a glimpse of talent instantly, let them actually play and develop at the club they've come through at.

I very much doubt I'll be attending a game in this completion, at least not in the group stage. I'd undoubtedly go if I went to Wembley, no use thinking other wise, so the following may well be hypocritical: we should all boycott this tournament and we should all, without question, boycott any game featuring an U21 side. As a team I really hope Bolton play all the kids and don't treat any game with any sort of seriousness at all. If it's okay for "big" teams to use the tournament as a place for their kids to get experience, why can't we or any other side?

It's time we, as fans, took a stand against being treated like shite.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 150
gaz57
August 28, 2016, 2:02am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
I'm sure if the attendances are poor the sponsors won't be very pleased and it's a wonder they haven't shown some concern already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 150
lobsterpot
August 28, 2016, 7:36am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I love my awaydays and Walsall is a cracking drinking town.
But I agree with saying sod it... and still will if we progress.
Nottingham and Luton aren't bad for a drink so something to look forward to.

Luton aint bad for a drink??? Are you on crack It's the worst place to visit EVER!! On the last 3 occasions i've been started on, chased, caught up in a Muslim rally AND hounded out of at least 4 pubs as if my life depended on me leaving! That's before night games down that alley next to the away entrance, you know, that poor womans kitchen as you go up the steps

Maybe youve been lucky, or have i just been unlucky, on EVERY occasion?

PS i know youre probs not on crack mate but i felt that would emphasise how strongly i felt about Luton being the worst place of scum and viliany!

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 150
Davec
August 28, 2016, 8:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
So who will actually have the balls to boycott? I am boycotting, I'm sticking by my guns.

I suspect some posters on here who say they'll boycott will secretly go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 150
lobsterpot
August 28, 2016, 8:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
I'm not going altho' it causes me a slight problem as my lad, who does not understand the problem and quite frankly doesnt care, will want to go and he can't go on his own but will find a way round it

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 150
golfer
August 28, 2016, 8:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Do most people outside of the world of twitter and TheFishy know about the boycott?  If it's to be a success, then all fans need to know about the boycott and the reasons behind it.

Looking forward to seeing some empty grounds!

We shouldn't be talking about team selection or anything to do with these games. The only thing we should talk about is the boycott The Chelsea debacle just shows what the eventual outcome will be. Publicise the boycott to everybody we can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 150
chaos33
August 28, 2016, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,789
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Davec
So who will actually have the balls to boycott? I am boycotting, I'm sticking by my guns.

I suspect some posters on here who say they'll boycott will secretly go.

What balls does it take Aaron?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 150
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Walsall - Tuesday - EFL Trophy

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.