Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2016, 6:10pm
I truly hope no one is actually going to this game Tuesday.

It has been a while since the whole saga blew up so i just hope that people dont forget that this really could be the start of the Premier League infiltrating the lower leagues with feeder clubs, b teams and the like....not forgetting our own clubs sorry involvement in the yes to accept this sneaky proposal and our own clubs non internal consultation before voting in favour.

Kill the idea by not supporting it. Boycott all the games.  

Football belongs to the people, not the accountants.

Posted by: bluerose13x, August 27, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 1
Not going.

It is a total DISGRACE that this idea would even get floated, let alone voted for this club. Nothing but a total boycott is deserved.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 27, 2016, 6:16pm; Reply: 2
I hope the official away attendance is a big fat ZERO.
Posted by: LH, August 27, 2016, 6:17pm; Reply: 3
Bloke behind me today said he'll go to the Leicester game "if it's a tenner" because "it's football".

Going to these games will give those higher up your permission to change that football and it won't be good for clubs like Town.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 27, 2016, 6:24pm; Reply: 4
Walsall are in league One. Town are in league Two. Why deny these two teams any money? I'm sure they both need everything they can get. Don't go to the Leicester game if you feel strongly enough about it, but why punish Town and Walsall?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 27, 2016, 6:25pm; Reply: 5
I don't know if anyone saw it but the Telegraph reported that Chelsea have been given special permission to play their games a full two weeks after everybody else. It's a pisstake and shows whose got the power. Sunderland have moved a tie by a week as well.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/efl-checkatradetrophy-premier-league-chelsea-given-special-permission-to-play-games-later/story-29651350-detail/story.html

BOYCOTT!
Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2016, 6:25pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from TonySmith
Walsall are in league One. Town are in league Two. Why deny these two teams any money? I'm sure they both need everything they can get. Don't go to the Leicester game if you feel strongly enough about it, but why punish Town and Walsall?

W.U.M
Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2016, 6:30pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't know if anyone saw it but the Telegraph reported that Chelsea have been given special permission to play their games a full two weeks after everybody else. It's a pisstake and shows whose got the power. Sunderland have moved a tie by a week as well.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/efl-checkatradetrophy-premier-league-chelsea-given-special-permission-to-play-games-later/story-29651350-detail/story.html

BOYCOTT!

Didnt see that article...as you say ..total p1ss take.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 27, 2016, 7:29pm; Reply: 8

Nobody wants crap like this, boycott the bastardized EFL Trophy, and let the greedy [Removed] who voted for this count the cost, the [Removed].
Posted by: jaygy, August 27, 2016, 7:31pm; Reply: 9
I could go.......but I won't! I hope this idea falls flat on its face and a full boycott is the only way
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 27, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 10
It's fine to boycott away games. But the real feeling needs to be shown at BP.
I feel for Paul Hurst and the players who will just be doing their job. But they need to walk out to a pretty much deserted ground to let THOSE WHO SAID YES know how the real fans feel. UTM
Posted by: Bigdog, August 27, 2016, 8:16pm; Reply: 11
To compound the boycott, how about no match threads on The Fishy for the EFL Trophy games too?
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 27, 2016, 8:20pm; Reply: 12
I love my awaydays and Walsall is a cracking drinking town.
But I agree with saying sod it... and still will if we progress.
Nottingham and Luton aren't bad for a drink so something to look forward to.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 27, 2016, 8:30pm; Reply: 13
We obviously will not play a strong team with an important away game next Saturday and several injuries.

How about playing Chris Doug and Paul Hurst to bolster the experienced players in the team?

I really can't be bothered to follow the match next Tuesday-it was not in my schedule anyway.

Good riddance to the competition.
Posted by: heppy88, August 27, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 14
After reading a few other forums it seems boycotting this is the way to go. Great if all fans from the league clubs stick together on this. Just another step for Fan Power!
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, August 27, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 15
Think the rules state we have to have at least 5 players in the team who played in the last league match?
Posted by: moosey_club, August 27, 2016, 8:38pm; Reply: 16
Think the rules state we have to have at least 5 players in the team who played in the last league match?

and how will the Premier u21 b team reserves achieve that ?  
Another reason this completely ill thought out, pathetic anti Football League and fck the supporters idea should be despised by all.

Posted by: hheh2, August 27, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 17
Fuk.. Premier league bias just confirms how tinpot they have become.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 27, 2016, 9:23pm; Reply: 18
One word suffices for this "competition"

B O Y C O T T
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 27, 2016, 11:02pm; Reply: 19
Do most people outside of the world of twitter and TheFishy know about the boycott?  If it's to be a success, then all fans need to know about the boycott and the reasons behind it.

Looking forward to seeing some empty grounds!
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 27, 2016, 11:10pm; Reply: 20
Didn't even know we were playing! Shows how much I care.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, August 27, 2016, 11:14pm; Reply: 21
I'll be there. A few of us in a minibus. No principles here, just follow my team everywhere. FA Trophy, FA Cup, Milk Cup, Johnstones Paint, i'll be there. What flipping reason in the world have i got to boycott my team?

Are there going to be premier league sides in league 2? Are there intercourse.  
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 27, 2016, 11:55pm; Reply: 22
Extremely naive if you think the powers that be aren't already trying to find a way to force B Teams into the league. Any fan that attends these matches is putting the future of meaningful competitive football in this country in doubt.
Posted by: Mrbusdriver, August 27, 2016, 11:59pm; Reply: 23
I don't know how to link something I read to here but I went and found info and thought someone would enjoy the read. Hope this is not too long.  It's copy paste underneath , enjoy the write up :D

(I myself wil only boycott any match with u21 team playing myself. Unless someone can change my mind why ofc some great points underneath and the only harm to comp is the u21 from the so called bigger teams making it a mockery.)

Due to the hideous plight of last season and relegation to League One, Bolton Wanderers will compete in the EFL Trophy, the Johnstone Paint Trophy to you and me, next season. It's a trophy that hasn't got the greatest prestige, but it is a trophy never the less and an opportunity for the Whites to travel to Wembley once more. However depressing it may be to see our name in the draw, we should not be condescending towards it and think our selves as above it, because we are clearly not.

That's what I would have said and believed had we fallen to League One two years ago and had we been readying ourselves for a season in the third tier this time one year ago. Now, however, I really could not give a rats bottom about the completion in the absolute slightest. I imagine you know why.

The draw for the cup was held on Wednesday and Wanderers were drawn with local rivals Blackpool, "Northern" side Cheltenham and, oh so gloriously, Everton's U21s. Aside from being drawn against a team in a regionalised tournament that are from flipping Gloucestershire, the EFL Trophy has drunk me, and an uncountable number of like minded fans, off big time with the addition of "top team" academies being added to the competition. The move is a number of things which we shall delve into momentarily, so prepare for angst, but most of all it's another crystal clear sign that the FA either don't know or don't care, almost definitely the latter, about the teams that prop up their beloved money making juggernaut that is the Premier League.

So, yeah, this year u21 teams of a certain number of Premier League and Championship clubs will compete in a trophy that was designed for the teams in League One and Two. A trophy that was created with the soul idea of giving clubs of lesser quality and status a chance really consistently compete in a knock-out competition and who knows? Maybe one day make it to the famous Wembley stadium and get a fleeting taste of glory.

Being a League One and Two club is hard going, it's like the blood soaked medieval battlefields; there is very little glory or grandeur, just a lot of sweat, effort and mud. Yeah, it might be a fun ride for relegated Championship teams who dip their toe in for a season and shoot back up, to them it's a refreshing dip in the pool, a nice change from grand stadiums to shacks with tin roofs. It's also no doubt amazing for a teams who manage to gain promotion from the conference. But to the vast majority of those teams who linger in League One and Two like it's  purgatory it's pure shite. Sure, the football in the moment may well be enjoyable - a last minute winner is great no matter where you play, be it the park or the Azteca - but in reality, it's shite.

It's just season after season after season of mediocre football and little to shout about. That's where the EFL Trophy comes in, and has done for many years now. It may not be the coveted of championships in the world of sport, but for fans of teams who spend years doing nothing but existing, it's a chance for them to see their sides get to Wembley and win a cup. Which is the dream of every football fan. It's easy to look down at it as tin pot, but is important.

Which is why it is an absolute travesty that the FA have decided to let these "bigger" sides put their youth teams into the tournament. It's an insult. Not only is it another example of the bigger fish stealing all the little fish's food, it's just so insulting, at least in my eyes, to force professional teams to play "bigger" team's youth sides for their improvement. It completely legitimises the completion, too, who in their right mind is going to watch their side face off against an academy? It's a joke. And if an academy side actually wins the flipping thing, then that'll be an absolute farce and render the completion completely utter pointless. Just imagine a final held at our home of football, the grand and special Wembley stadium, being competed by Wolves U21s vs Southampton U21s. I look forward to the FA trying to charge £60 for that one.

It seems to me that this is a precursor, the beginning, testing the waters, of the FA trying to get youth teams into the league structure. If that day ever comes it truly would be the death of our sport. Our league system is a thing of beauty, the absolute best in the world without question. Being able to populate four divisions with sides of real stature is a thing no where else in the world can do, and we should be proud of it. I'll be heartbroken if it ever happened.

Of course, the FA completely ignored or never even noticed supporters' concerns and hatred towards academy teams being in the completion, they've just masked it as "it'll help develop our youth" and "it'll benefit the country." What a load of balderdash. If these "bigger" sides want their youth to gain experience they should either flipping play them, loan them out or, preferably, stop hoarding every kid that shows a glimpse of talent instantly, let them actually play and develop at the club they've come through at.

I very much doubt I'll be attending a game in this completion, at least not in the group stage. I'd undoubtedly go if I went to Wembley, no use thinking other wise, so the following may well be hypocritical: we should all boycott this tournament and we should all, without question, boycott any game featuring an U21 side. As a team I really hope Bolton play all the kids and don't treat any game with any sort of seriousness at all. If it's okay for "big" teams to use the tournament as a place for their kids to get experience, why can't we or any other side?

It's time we, as fans, took a stand against being treated like shite.
Posted by: gaz57, August 28, 2016, 2:02am; Reply: 24
I'm sure if the attendances are poor the sponsors won't be very pleased and it's a wonder they haven't shown some concern already.
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 28, 2016, 7:36am; Reply: 25
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I love my awaydays and Walsall is a cracking drinking town.
But I agree with saying sod it... and still will if we progress.
Nottingham and Luton aren't bad for a drink so something to look forward to.

Luton aint bad for a drink??? Are you on crack ;D It's the worst place to visit EVER!! On the last 3 occasions i've been started on, chased, caught up in a Muslim rally AND hounded out of at least 4 pubs as if my life depended on me leaving! That's before night games down that alley next to the away entrance, you know, that poor womans kitchen as you go up the steps :D

Maybe youve been lucky, or have i just been unlucky, on EVERY occasion?

PS i know youre probs not on crack mate but i felt that would emphasise how strongly i felt about Luton being the worst place of scum and viliany!
Posted by: Davec, August 28, 2016, 8:09am; Reply: 26
So who will actually have the balls to boycott? I am boycotting, I'm sticking by my guns.

I suspect some posters on here who say they'll boycott will secretly go.
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 28, 2016, 8:16am; Reply: 27
I'm not going altho' it causes me a slight problem as my lad, who does not understand the problem and quite frankly doesnt care, will want to go and he can't go on his own but will find a way round it :-/
Posted by: golfer, August 28, 2016, 8:39am; Reply: 28
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Do most people outside of the world of twitter and TheFishy know about the boycott?  If it's to be a success, then all fans need to know about the boycott and the reasons behind it.

Looking forward to seeing some empty grounds!

We shouldn't be talking about team selection or anything to do with these games. The only thing we should talk about is the boycott The Chelsea debacle just shows what the eventual outcome will be. Publicise the boycott to everybody we can.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2016, 8:59am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Davec
So who will actually have the balls to boycott? I am boycotting, I'm sticking by my guns.

What balls does it take Aaron?
Posted by: golfer, August 28, 2016, 9:44am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Davec

I will be picketing outside each ground. I will be dressed as a policeman. Anybody who supports the boycott please feel free to slap me on the back.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2016, 10:01am; Reply: 31
Not a hope of me attending any games in this competition!

Owners/chairman have shown that they can be bought by the Prem Lge and their puppet, Harvey for as little as £5k. When the next stage comes and the Prem Lge offer £100k to each club to allow B teams or clubs from different countries into the FL have you any confidence that the owners won't roll over and have their collective bellies tickled?

This is the thin edge of the wedge because  by supporting the competition you are supporting the death of some lower league clubs which COULD include GTFC.

I still cannot get over how the representatives of OUR club could have been so naive and out of touch with the supporters especially as they claim to be 'normal' fans themselves?
Posted by: Green27, August 28, 2016, 10:10am; Reply: 32
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
I'll be there. A few of us in a minibus. No principles here, just follow my team everywhere. FA Trophy, FA Cup, Milk Cup, Johnstones Paint, i'll be there. What flipping reason in the world have i got to boycott my team?

Are there going to be premier league sides in league 2? Are there intercourse.  

You sir are an idiot.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 28, 2016, 10:15am; Reply: 33
Do we have any attendance figures from last weeks round of games?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2016, 10:20am; Reply: 34
Quoted from pontoonlew

Didn't think it had started?? If it has it just demonstrates my lack of interest :)
Posted by: golfer, August 28, 2016, 10:44am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Cloudy

Didn't think it had started?? If it has it just demonstrates my lack of interest :)

Don't think what's started ?!!!!!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 28, 2016, 10:56am; Reply: 36
Quoted from lobsterpot

Luton aint bad for a drink??? Are you on crack ;D It's the worst place to visit EVER!! On the last 3 occasions i've been started on, chased, caught up in a Muslim rally AND hounded out of at least 4 pubs as if my life depended on me leaving! That's before night games down that alley next to the away entrance, you know, that poor womans kitchen as you go up the steps :D

Maybe youve been lucky, or have i just been unlucky, on EVERY occasion?

PS i know youre probs not on crack mate but i felt that would emphasise how strongly i felt about Luton being the worst place of scum and viliany!

He he! The town is a bit of a excrement hole with odd natives  to boot. But if you get there early doors and go "off piste" away from the dump of an area where the ground is, there are actually some very decent watering holes.
The town centre does have the most ironically named Wetherspoons I've ever seen though.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 28, 2016, 11:09am; Reply: 37
Quoted from pontoonlew

Think you might be getting mixed up with the League Cup?

There was a bit of publicity about Blackburn fans boycotting a game but that was because of the way their owners have been (mis)behaving

This competition only starts next week and only then will the strength of feeling against the FA and their stooges be demonstrated

I just hope that there will be some solidarity amongst all League 1 and League 2 fans and in boycotting the trophy give the 'powers that be' a sign that we at this level mean business when we say don't mess with us

#BTeamBoycott
Posted by: ginnywings, August 28, 2016, 11:25am; Reply: 38
I don't think many Prem fans will attend the games either. They probably think it beneath them to watch their kids playing 'tinpot' lower league sides.
Posted by: Youngy, August 28, 2016, 12:17pm; Reply: 39
Alot of preachy posts on here. Whether you agree with the Trophy concept or not, don't shoot each other down for having a difference in opinion. We are all town.
Posted by: TheExiledMariner_Dubai, August 28, 2016, 12:21pm; Reply: 40
i will boycott it on twitter :)
only thing i can do from dubai
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 28, 2016, 1:52pm; Reply: 41
The reasoning behind admitting B teams is flawed.  The FA have fundamentally mis-diagnosed the factors that contributed to the England team's failure over 40 years.  

They don't believe that the English game is technically deficient or that our players are tactically, intellectually or emotionally inferior to their European counterparts.

The FA's blueprint for international success isn't to rectify these deficiencies, to better-educate players or to take control of the academy system, or to deflate the wage bubble which contributes to young players being imprisoned by greedy agents and hangers-on within Premiership academies.

They think the only reason we're not world beaters, is because the aforementioned indentured players (not, as we've already established, being as good as the French, Ivorian, Belgian, Portuguese or Spanish youngsters their clubs have purchased) are not getting enough playing time for their clubs.  If only the inferior bench-warming English kids could play five games a season in the EFL Trophy at Grimsby or Stevenage Borough or Accrington Stanley on a Tuesday night, all of a sudden we're going to achieve Greg Dyke's goal of winning the 2022 World Cup.
Posted by: Kris2, August 28, 2016, 2:12pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Youngy
Alot of preachy posts on here. Whether you agree with the Trophy concept or not, don't shoot each other down for having a difference in opinion. We are all town.

It's all preachy until we hit an advanced stage of the cup then suddenly they all attend two beers in hand top off jumping up and down with their man boobs jiggling hoping for a bit of glory to shout about when we beat some Premier League kids for a trophy.
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 28, 2016, 2:17pm; Reply: 43
Amazes me how short sighted some people are.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 28, 2016, 2:45pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from golfer

I will be picketing outside each ground. I will be dressed as a policeman. Anybody who supports the boycott please feel free to slap me on the back.

Post of the day! 😂😂😂😂
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 28, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 45
I have a sneaky feeling that it will be kids go free. £10 entry and anything else our non-chairman can think of to entice the weak willed. I can honestly say I wouldn't go if it was free. And Inthink they'll be plenty of those as well. Youngs employees etc.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 28, 2016, 5:27pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Civvy at last
I have a sneaky feeling that it will be kids go free. £10 entry and anything else our non-chairman can think of to entice the weak willed. I can honestly say I wouldn't go if it was free. And Inthink they'll be plenty of those as well. Youngs employees etc.

I wonder why JF didn't vote no, surely he knew it would devalue the product.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 28, 2016, 9:40pm; Reply: 47
Well I certainly won't be going on Tuesday and I won't be going to the home games either.

I've missed a few home games when I have been in hospital but the home games will be the first time I have missed a home game by choice for as long as I can remember, probably going back to the 1980's.

Do we know if Terry is running a bus on Tuesday?
Posted by: Davec, August 28, 2016, 9:56pm; Reply: 48
Terry is running a coach I believe Les, he's actually got quite a few people booked on
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, August 29, 2016, 12:06am; Reply: 49
Naive? Where does it say that is the case? Speculation not naivety
Posted by: BrickTop, August 29, 2016, 7:26am; Reply: 50
Serious question. I plan on boycotting the games, as do most others, but, will anyone be listening to the games and do you still count that as a boycott?
UTM
Posted by: moosey_club, August 29, 2016, 8:41am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Les Brechin
Well I certainly won't be going on Tuesday and I won't be going to the home games either.

I've missed a few home games when I have been in hospital but the home games will be the first time I have missed a home game by choice for as long as I can remember, probably going back to the 1980's.

Do we know if Terry is running a bus on Tuesday?

According to the O.S  the bus for Walsall is fully booked  :'(  

I respect peoples choice to go and admire some peoples tenacity to get to every game during a season, collecting grounds a desire to watch your hero's etc but i just think its a little short sighted.  :B
Posted by: moosey_club, August 29, 2016, 8:44am; Reply: 52
Quoted from BrickTop
Serious question. I plan on boycotting the games, as do most others, but, will anyone be listening to the games and do you still count that as a boycott?
UTM

As far as i can tell the only place you can hear commentary anyway is through the Walsall Player, so unless you have subscribed to the Mariner Player you wont be able to tune in.
The BBC dont have permissions for the EFL Trophy.
Posted by: BrickTop, August 29, 2016, 9:16am; Reply: 53
Quoted from moosey_club

As far as i can tell the only place you can hear commentary anyway is through the Walsall Player, so unless you have subscribed to the Mariner Player you wont be able to tune in.
The BBC dont have permissions for the EFL Trophy.

Cheers, mate.
Posted by: Sigone, August 29, 2016, 10:10am; Reply: 54
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/28/english-football-league-to-consider-celtic-and-rangers-for-inclu/

:B :o :B
Posted by: LH, August 29, 2016, 10:17am; Reply: 55
Yet there will still be people going tomorrow to "support their club". For once I'm disappointed that we're taking a full coach to an away game.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 29, 2016, 11:06am; Reply: 56
If there are Mariners Trust Officials on the Scab Bus, I'll look forward to their explanation as to why.
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 29, 2016, 11:19am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Sigone

Worth a read for those who don't see why a total boycott is needed. This is what it's building up to.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 29, 2016, 11:30am; Reply: 58
Quoted from moosey_club

According to the O.S  the bus for Walsall is fully booked  :'(  

I respect peoples choice to go and admire some peoples tenacity to get to every game during a season, collecting grounds a desire to watch your hero's etc but i just think its a little short sighted.  :B

I hope it is a 7 seater
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 29, 2016, 11:39am; Reply: 59
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
If there are Mariners Trust Officials on the Scab Bus, I'll look forward to their explanation as to why.

I'm not in the trust and I'm boycotting the competition. But I don't see that anybody has to justify to anybody as to why they are going. I would hazard a guess that they are going to cheer their team on in a competitive fixture !! Which is entirely their right to do so.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 29, 2016, 11:45am; Reply: 60

I'm not in the trust and I'm boycotting the competition. But I don't see that anybody has to justify to anybody as to why they are going. I would hazard a guess that they are going to cheer their team on in a competitive fixture !! Which is entirely their right to do so.

It is their right and their choice.  I just think it's extraordinarily naive to think that by supporting the introduction of B-Teams into lower league competitions they're doing their club a favour.  Maybe in ten years when we're playing Motherwell Reserves in League 5 they'll get the message.
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 29, 2016, 12:08pm; Reply: 61
Exactly! I have no problems whatsoever if peeps want to go and support town in this. Lets be straight about it we all wanna support town in whatever fixture theyre playing but when theres a negative at the end of the dark road of the competition then you have to see the concerns and draw the line. I want town to win at walsall and i will be listening to the commentary. Same as the Sheff and Foxes games but i will not be attending. I'm sure the town players know the reason why so many peeps are not going and they damn well know, especially with our great support, that is is nothing to do with them personally!
To all the peeps that think theres not a problem at all with this comp and have read the pros and cons and are still not convinced. Chelseas under 23 team win this comp 3 years on the trot. The powers that be decide that they are that good they could easily hold their own in league 2 and propose this which gets backed as chelsea obvs will pay anything to get a more competetive fixture than a reserve game week in week out for their boys. The men at the top then offer some of that money to league 2 teams as an incentive but 1 of them has to make way. The poorest team out there then accepts a pay off package of a massive massive sum of cash, especially compared to what theyre used to, and they drop down a league. $hite but hey theyve got some wonga to survive and sustain a promotion challenge. OK then i know it porbs wont be exactly like that but something along those lines then every year rinse and repeat until eventually YOUR club are the 1s getting the elbow and thats if YOUR club havent been relegated because of the bigger team already. Boycott this barsteward now. Low attendances, low income, no tv interest, no fat cat money, no competition!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 29, 2016, 12:29pm; Reply: 62
Re an earlier post, I really can't see how allowing Rangers and Celtic to join an expanded football league will improve English national football team?
Posted by: Abdul19, August 29, 2016, 1:27pm; Reply: 63
I'm even less likely to go to this than I normally would be to a JPT first round game
Posted by: GrimRob, August 29, 2016, 2:49pm; Reply: 64
The bookies seem to expect most of the academy sides to lose in the first round. If they are right then the tournament will largely comprise of league sides by the time it gets to the knock-out stages. Should the boycott remain even after the academy sides have been knocked out?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 29, 2016, 3:03pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from GrimRob
The bookies seem to expect most of the academy sides to lose in the first round. If they are right then the tournament will largely comprise of league sides by the time it gets to the knock-out stages. Should the boycott remain even after the academy sides have been knocked out?

Yes, all or nothing.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 29, 2016, 3:10pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from GrimRob

Definately because that will give them even more reason to say they can join any new look league set up...they struggled in the cup so wont be a threat to any league set up......treat this competition as if its got Ebola...dont go anywhere near it even when its died its last breath.
Harvey is saying that this move is to revitalise the competition that has had falling attendances in recent years.....lets see if he and all the guilty "yes" clubs stand by that plan if attendances fall through the floor.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), August 29, 2016, 3:20pm; Reply: 67
Walsall are not fielding an under 23s team so whats the problem with supporting the Mariners tuesday night. The under 23s teams of Shf utd and Liecester will be playing at BP, we need the income these matches may generate. Do you really believe the championship clubs and premier clubs are bothered about away attendencies of their sides matches , No is the answer. Whatever happens the FA will do what the Premiership clubs want, supporters watching or not.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 29, 2016, 3:38pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from 4055
Walsall are not fielding an under 23s team so whats the problem with supporting the Mariners tuesday night. The under 23s teams of Shf utd and Liecester will be playing at BP, we need the income these matches may generate. Do you really believe the championship clubs and premier clubs are bothered about away attendencies of their sides matches , No is the answer. Whatever happens the FA will do what the Premiership clubs want, supporters watching or not.

That's irrelevant to me. The whole competition is just wrong, so you can't pick and choose which games are ok to watch and which aren't.

If you want to support the competition, then that's fine, but you can't pick and choose degrees of right and wrong.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 29, 2016, 3:43pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Re an earlier post, I really can't see how allowing Rangers and Celtic to join an expanded football league will improve English national football team?

Surely if Celtic and rangers join the EFL, the Scottish league would fall to pieces. Inverness were talking of administration after rangers collapse
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 29, 2016, 3:48pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from 4055

It's not Sheff United's U-23's just Leicesters.unless they choose to field an U23 side that is.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 29, 2016, 4:00pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from 4055

Sadly, it is that attitude, IMHO, that will lead to the eventual demise of football as we know it.

I am of the view that FANS can have a say and not allow Harvey and the likes their own way.

Just like operation promotion, together fans can make a difference. I will be lobbying the sponsors and fans need to send out a message to clubs, sponsors and bureaucrats that without us there is no game
Posted by: GrimRob, August 29, 2016, 4:01pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Les Brechin

It's not Sheff United's U-23's just Leicesters.unless they choose to field an U23 side that is.

The league sides are not allowed to field an U-23 side without incurring a fine.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 30, 2016, 9:05am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Kris2

It's all preachy until we hit an advanced stage of the cup then suddenly they all attend two beers in hand top off jumping up and down with their man boobs jiggling hoping for a bit of glory to shout about when we beat some Premier League kids for a trophy.

Will this not apply to our lady fans as well?

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 30, 2016, 9:16am; Reply: 74
Quoted from 4055

I understood the under 23/B Premiership/Championship teams would be playing at their home grounds.
Posted by: Kris2, August 30, 2016, 9:23am; Reply: 75
Quoted from arryarryarry

Will this not apply to our lady fans as well?

If they go topless without a bra sure.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 30, 2016, 9:40am; Reply: 76
The last thing we need is injuries to key players at a time when we are already short in the squad.

This is a truly pointless competition for the likes of Grimsby and even if the club did make a few thou in gate money it simply isn't worth it. I fail to see the point in risking such as Bogle being clattered by some over-enthusiastic Leicester, Walsall or Sheff. Utd reserve defender trying to impress his manager.

As the club reps have forced the team to be in it, the manager should play the squad players and the fans save their money for games that really count for something.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 30, 2016, 11:31am; Reply: 77
The last thing we need is injuries to key players at a time when we are already short in the squad.

This is a truly pointless competition for the likes of Grimsby and even if the club did make a few thou in gate money it simply isn't worth it. I fail to see the point in risking such as Bogle being clattered by some over-enthusiastic Leicester, Walsall or Sheff. Utd reserve defender trying to impress his manager.

As the club reps have forced the team to be in it, the manager should play the squad players and the fans save their money for games that really count for something.

I haven't read all of this thread as it's massive now, but I'm hoping Hurst is thinking along the same lines as above - I'd definitely give run-outs to the likes of Venney and Clifton, not just to save the legs of the senior pros, but to actually give these lads a go, they're professionals now so the EFL (pah!) can't complain if they play.  To even things out the likes of Vernon and Warrington should also play, and Boyce needs a chance to redeem himself.

Ordinarily I'd imagine that McKeown would like to play as Walsall was his first club, I think, but for this pile of sh#te tournament I'd imagine he's less worried than normal.

As much as we want to boycott this game as fans, the players still need to take part and be professional, so the line-up actually IS of importance as it gives the players on the fringe a chance, and our big hitters (let's be honest here - BOGLE!) the chance to rest and concentrate on Saturday, which could be epic.

Hurst rested nearly everyone for that dead rubber against Tranmere last season, proving everyone wrong who said he'd never do it, and I hope he does the same again tonight........
Posted by: GrimRob, August 30, 2016, 12:15pm; Reply: 78
The players will take it seriously I am sure, regardless of what the fans think. We had this for six years with the FA Trophy, but if there is a Wembley place at the end of the tunnel they will always treat it as a serious game.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 30, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 79
Hope we win every game for financial reasons but absolutely no intention of going to any of the games even if we were to confound the odds and get to the final.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 30, 2016, 12:44pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from psgmariner
Hope we win every game for financial reasons but absolutely no intention of going to any of the games even if we were to confound the odds and get to the final.

But what if all the academy teams crashed out early and it was just proper clubs in the latter stages?  Surely we'd all go to the Final then?  It's a strange one, I'll admit that.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 30, 2016, 1:24pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from psgmariner

For the record......I wouldn't buy any EFL Trophy Winners Ale if we did  ;)

Would definitely have a bitter after taste
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 1:44pm; Reply: 82
I would urge those who see no wrong in this competition to think long and hard before supporting it. It's clear with the noises coming from the EFL that they are determined, one way or another, to get B teams into competitive leagues and have been testing the waters with various ideas to achieve that goal.

They have finally managed to gain a small foothold via this competition and they will not stop there. Since this proposal was accepted, they have already moved the goalposts several times. Within weeks they had changed the rules to allow so many overage players into the match day squad and chucked another paltry million quid into the pot to smooth the way. Next they come up with a new sponsor, Checkatrade, who have a very shady reputation among the very tradesmen they purport to promote. Next was bending over backwards to Prem teams and allowing them to dictate when they would and wouldn't play the ties and now there are talks of Celtic and Rangers joining our league. What's the betting that those two would be allowed into this competition in the future as a way of "seeing how it goes". What criteria do they have for the EFL wanting them in our league? Lots of fans and lots of money, that's what.

If the EFL get their way, they will want us to go the same path as they do in countries like Spain, where the big boys have several feeder clubs in the lower divisions. Who will make way for these feeder clubs? Teams like ours that's who. Either by ceasing to exist or by being shunted into a 5th division of poor relations. They must be resisted at all costs because any short term gain will soon vanish once they are allowed to dictate to us lesser mortals.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 30, 2016, 1:58pm; Reply: 83
Not sure if this has been posted already but it's an interesting read if you haven't seen it already

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/open-letter-supporters-ahead-bteamboycott/

I for one am totally opposed to any B team infiltration and while I can maybe understand someone thinking "what does it matter, it's only one game"....just think of it as a "drip, drip effect" where over time you will guarantee an erosion of the current conditions beyond recognition

Oh and I'd like to make it clear that the two drips referred to have nothing to do with anyone's visits to Portugal  ;)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 30, 2016, 2:03pm; Reply: 84
Why can't their B teams play straight after their first teams in the same stadium? Enough people might stay behind to make a bit of atmosphere and it keeps the b teams out of our way.
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, August 30, 2016, 2:10pm; Reply: 85
Ginny, What a load of bollox. Clear noises my bottom.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 30, 2016, 2:35pm; Reply: 86
Also, has anyone looked at Premier League 2?

https://www.premierleague.com/premier-league-2-explained

That reads almost exactly like the rules for the B teams playing this evening.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 30, 2016, 2:46pm; Reply: 87
I like the idea of groups in this tournament but our group is not local at all. I'd have liked to see Conference teams invited and something like Grimsby, Scunny, Donny and Lincoln in a group. Every match would be guaranteed a big crowd then once it goes to the knock-out stages you are quite close to Wembley so people would go then too.
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2016, 2:51pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from 4055

Yeah we'll be rolling in it after Leicester under 23's bring their parents and friends to the game at BP. All 30 of them.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 30, 2016, 3:39pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from mariner91

Yeah we'll be rolling in it after Leicester under 23's bring their parents and friends to the game at BP. All 30 of them.

Which (if there's any justice) should double the crowd 😉
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), August 30, 2016, 3:46pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from moosey_club
I truly hope no one is actually going to this game Tuesday.

It has been a while since the whole saga blew up so i just hope that people dont forget that this really could be the start of the Premier League infiltrating the lower leagues with feeder clubs, b teams and the like....not forgetting our own clubs sorry involvement in the yes to accept this sneaky proposal and our own clubs non internal consultation before voting in favour.

Kill the idea by not supporting it. Boycott all the games.  

Football belongs to the people, not the accountants.

Frankly I think it is very sad that people are trying to influence others not to attend a fixture.

Fair enough if you don't agree with it, then you are at liberty to stay away and make up your own mind. But it isn't attractive to see people trying to organise a boycott. Perhaps supporters should actually respect their fellow supporters and understand that they can think for themselves.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 30, 2016, 3:52pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from 120790

Frankly I think it is very sad that people are trying to influence others not to attend a fixture.

Fair enough if you don't agree with it, then you are at liberty to stay away and make up your own mind. But it isn't attractive to see people trying to organise a boycott. Perhaps supporters should actually respect their fellow supporters and understand that they can think for themselves.

I disagree. I see it as educating those who are not aware of the potential damage
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 30, 2016, 3:59pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from 120790

I hope people think for themselves too.
I hope they do not get taken in by the propaganda and eyewash about this excuse for a competition.
I hope that the gates are in single figures to show the presumptuous and patronising tw@ts in charge of it that money does not always dictate what's best for the game.

Of course I should hate to think I might influence anyone.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, August 30, 2016, 4:00pm; Reply: 93
Not attending any of the games because of the League 3 proposals as well as the way the club went about supporting this. The whole thing has turned out to be a complete waste of time with nearly all the top clubs rejecting entry too. I'm still not fully convinced this would be the thin end of the wedge, I think any messing about with the league structure could cause too much of an uproar but they need the message loud and clear and the only way for fans to do that is to vote with their feet.

Still hope we win tonight though obviously, we could do with starting to build a bit of momentum now after the losses at the start of the season. I just won't be there while we try.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 30, 2016, 4:06pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from 120790

I think it's perfectly fine to express an opinion on any relevant subject on what is a football fans' forum. My opinion is that this re-organisation of this competition stinks - if my opinion influences your opinion that's up to you not me.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 30, 2016, 4:12pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from 120790

Are you now trying to influence me ?  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 4:44pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
Ginny, What a load of bollox. Clear noises my bottom.

Ok! Thanks for your input.

If you think what i said is bollox, then fine, it's a discussion board with differing opinions.
Posted by: golfer, August 30, 2016, 6:02pm; Reply: 97
It can only do more long term harm than good to the  " lower " teams. Iwont be going home or away even though it will be pretty hard. You go if you want, its up to you
Posted by: mariner83, August 30, 2016, 7:03pm; Reply: 98
Stoke playing Charlie Adam , so yeah that'll help the England team  :-/
Posted by: mariner83, August 30, 2016, 7:10pm; Reply: 99
https://vine.co/v/5eLMEgBnxL0

Bolton v Everton u23 5 mins before KO
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 30, 2016, 7:17pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from mariner83
https://vine.co/v/5eLMEgBnxL0

Bolton v Everton u23 5 mins before KO

And I thought there was going to be a boycott !    ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: mariner83, August 30, 2016, 7:19pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

They disgust me  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), August 30, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 102
I see Paul Tidsdale and Gareth Ainsworth have both named themselves on the bench. Pompey and Luton have both made 11 changes so will both receive a 5k fine. Enough is enough, it's time to stop the elite destroying our game. Charlie Adam is playing for Stoke which will really help the English national team in 10 years time...
Posted by: Mrbusdriver, August 30, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Haha
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), August 30, 2016, 7:24pm; Reply: 104
7 foreign players in Readings under 23 team. You can't write this  :B
Posted by: chicaneuk, August 30, 2016, 7:29pm; Reply: 105
Wow... The place is deserted. Absolutely deserted. At least there won't be much of a queue for a cuppa at half time :)
Posted by: mariner83, August 30, 2016, 7:31pm; Reply: 106
Tweet 770692696935727104 will appear here...
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), August 30, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from chicaneuk
Wow... The place is deserted. Absolutely deserted. At least there won't be much of a queue for a cuppa at half time :)

It's like it all up and down the country. How will the FA and the Trophy representatives react I wonder. I am sure they will deem this years competition a success regardless of the outcome just so they can introduce the B teams into the lower leagues.
Posted by: Kris2, August 30, 2016, 7:36pm; Reply: 108
Did Mariners player also boycott the game? Not getting any audio  ;D
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, August 30, 2016, 7:39pm; Reply: 109
1-0 town
Posted by: jaygy, August 30, 2016, 7:40pm; Reply: 110
We would have taken 400+ to this game under normal circumstances IMO, this is a major slap in the face for the FA as all fans up and down the country seem to be staying away too
Posted by: Meza, August 30, 2016, 7:46pm; Reply: 111
I completely understand the boycott however this cant be good for the home team as this will cost them to open the stadium for a few fans.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 30, 2016, 7:48pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from Meza
[Twitter]770691215704457216[/twitter]

Tweet 770691215704457216 will appear here...
Posted by: hheh2, August 30, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 113
1-1
Posted by: totalidiot, August 30, 2016, 7:58pm; Reply: 114
empty stadiums of directors and chairmans own doing, who have deprived their own clubs of valuable finance through ill thought out decision making.
should be ashamed of themselves tho fan power will surely win the battle on this one.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:00pm; Reply: 115
JF told me it was only a vocal minority on the internet who were against this. I told him to wait and see. I think he has his answer.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 30, 2016, 8:04pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
JF told me it was only a vocal minority on the internet who were against this. I told him to wait and see. I think he has his answer.

You won't be saying that when we are installing temporary seating for our visit from the league champions  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:07pm; Reply: 117

You won't be saying that when we are installing temporary seating for our visit from the league champions  ;)

Didn't think Northampton were that much of a draw myself.  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from jaygy
We would have taken 400+ to this game under normal circumstances IMO, this is a major slap in the face for the FA as all fans up and down the country seem to be staying away too

Exactly. Look how many we are taking to a proper league game on Saturday.
Posted by: chicaneuk, August 30, 2016, 8:25pm; Reply: 119
There is no atmosphere at all. We started off brightly but have gradually fizzled out - the half time score line is a fair reflection of how's it's gone unfortunately.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 30, 2016, 8:27pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from chicaneuk
There is no atmosphere at all. We started off brightly but have gradually fizzled out - the half time score line is a fair reflection of how's it's gone unfortunately.

why are you there?
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2016, 8:37pm; Reply: 121
I'm so pleased that fans across the country are voting with their feet. The grounds are all completely empty. If this doesn't send a message then I don't know what will. There are so many things wrong with football in this country but the state of the football league pyramid is not one of them.  The pride and passion of fans for unfashionable clubs up and down the country at all levels of the pyramid is incredible and is the envy of fans across the world. We're a fourth division side and we're taking more to an away game on Saturday than a lot of Segunda and Serie B teams get at home.

It's time the Premier League, the FA and the FL took their heads out of their arses. The pyramid is fine, it's the fact that all the money is siphoned at the top and very little is allowed to drip down that means we don't produce very many good players. The current set up with the EPPP will only make it worse and introducing B teams will not affect the English players development one bit. If they stopped being so selfish and let more money go to grass roots, so we had coaches teaching kids the basics well, then we might start to compete at international level. But that would mean they stop being so greedy, so I won't hold my breath.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 30, 2016, 8:42pm; Reply: 122
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 30, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 123
1022 with 66 Town
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:46pm; Reply: 124
Only 59 at Reading i'm told.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 30, 2016, 8:47pm; Reply: 125
Having set up the original petition against this, I'm absolutely delighted to see how far and wide the boycott has spread.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:50pm; Reply: 126
Checkafan Trophy.  ;D
Posted by: Skrill, August 30, 2016, 8:51pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from mariner91
I'm so pleased that fans across the country are voting with their feet. The grounds are all completely empty. If this doesn't send a message then I don't know what will. There are so many things wrong with football in this country but the state of the football league pyramid is not one of them.  The pride and passion of fans for unfashionable clubs up and down the country at all levels of the pyramid is incredible and is the envy of fans across the world. We're a fourth division side and we're taking more to an away game on Saturday than a lot of Segunda and Serie B teams get at home.

It's time the Premier League, the FA and the FL took their heads out of their arses. The pyramid is fine, it's the fact that all the money is siphoned at the top and very little is allowed to drip down that means we don't produce very many good players. The current set up with the EPPP will only make it worse and introducing B teams will not affect the English players development one bit. If they stopped being so selfish and let more money go to grass roots, so we had coaches teaching kids the basics well, then we might start to compete at international level. But that would mean they stop being so greedy, so I won't hold my breath.

That is only one element. England has a major problem with creating coaches, possibly due to people in England not seeing football as a job, rather a hobby. Look at the data, UEFA data shows that England has 1,395 coaches holding Uefa’s A and Pro qualification badges compared to Germany’s 6,934, Italy’s 2,281, France’s 3,308 and Spain’s whopping 15,423. By logical reasoning, we will always be behind.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with the football pyramid. The only thing that other countries look at with envy!
Posted by: mariner83, August 30, 2016, 8:51pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from ginnywings
Only 59 at Reading i'm told.

Tweet 770707889287786496 will appear here...
Posted by: bradzmilne, August 30, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 129
It's just been announced that the Premier League clubs have broken through the £1 billion mark in terms of transfer fees this summer alone. That has been an extra bitter pill to swallow in I'm sure a night that is going too be seen as a key night in the decline of English Football's lower leagues.

It's a circus now, it really is - it cannot be described as anything else. The powers who be don't give a excrement about lower league football. Anything beyond the Premiership is not important. Anything that can be used as another escape goat about the national teams constant failure will be utilised , hence why they are now messing around with lower leagues as they once did with our top flight. The reality is, it's going to continue too happen until the game we love is gone.

Fans have voted with our feet tonight but does anyone really give a toss ? Checkatrade will be laughing at the publicity it's gained, the winning clubs will be happy with the £10k they've made, the big clubs will be happy that 28 year old Spanish lad who's been moaning for weeks has got a game and the FA/Football League will turn a blind eye too it.

Yeah let's invite u23 clubs into our leagues... I forgot what fantastic shape lower league Spanish football is in. Yeah let's invite the Old Firm into the English game... We might as well kill Scottish football whilst where at it. Let's just ruin the one thing that many people look forward too week after week, month after month and year after year forever.

Against Modern Football
Posted by: grimps, August 30, 2016, 8:54pm; Reply: 130
These crowds seem to be about the same as they was when we was last playing in this comp, nobody has ever gone to these games anyway
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2016, 8:55pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from Skrill

That is only one element. England has a major problem with creating coaches, possibly due to people in England not seeing football as a job, rather a hobby. Look at the data, UEFA data shows that England has 1,395 coaches holding Uefa’s A and Pro qualification badges compared to Germany’s 6,934, Italy’s 2,281, France’s 3,308 and Spain’s whopping 15,423. By logical reasoning, we will always be behind.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with the football pyramid. The only thing that other countries look at with envy!

That's precisely what I mean. If money was made available so that coaching was a viable career, I'm sure we'd have people willing and able to do it well. To get a Uefa A and pro qualification in this country you generally have to pay for yourself which not many people can afford to do. If only there was some money floating around in English football...
Posted by: ginnywings, August 30, 2016, 8:56pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from mariner83

Tweet 770707889287786496 will appear here...

Got a text with dodgy info from my nephew, the plank.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 30, 2016, 8:56pm; Reply: 133
4-1. Taking a bit of a hammering
Posted by: grimps, August 30, 2016, 8:59pm; Reply: 134
If it's about coaching then maybe our FA which must be one of the richest if not the richest in the world should start offering free coaching training with the badge to a teacher at every school in the uk , I'm sure they'd get plenty of takers
Posted by: Fat Cobra, August 30, 2016, 8:59pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Hagrid
4-1. Taking a bit of a hammering

Thought you'd be there Hagrid...
Posted by: mariner91, August 30, 2016, 9:00pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from grimps
These crowds seem to be about the same as they was when we was last playing in this comp, nobody has ever gone to these games anyway

Not true. There are 3632 at the Sheffield United v Leicester  under 23 game. The game at Bramall Lane between the Blades and Notts County had 5500 there. So that's a drop of of 35%. The game at Accrington has 585, down from 1350 last season. That's a drop of 57%. They're not complete boycotts but they're big enough to show that this format isn't wanted.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 30, 2016, 9:01pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from Fat Cobra

Thought you'd be there Hagrid...

Never in a million years
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 30, 2016, 9:07pm; Reply: 138

Could be our final group game at BP against Sheff UTD will be a dead rubber just to boost the attendance........ ;D
Posted by: AdamHaddock, August 30, 2016, 9:12pm; Reply: 139
Going through the fixture list on willhill site, the championship clubs (wolves, Brighton, Derby and Blackburn) are listed as 'academy'
Posted by: mariner83, August 31, 2016, 11:45am; Reply: 140
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-utd/match-reports/article/High-scoring-game-as-Carlisle-Utd-enter-the-B-Team-era-in-disfigured-Trophy-036a0c95-9203-42e6-aae3-9d3af43304ee-ds
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 31, 2016, 12:49pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from mariner83

Love the bit where the reporter says...

Now it is a cup with an asterisk, the product of thinking so muddled it might have been dreamed up by a team of Apprentice contestants.  

;D

Posted by: WetFlannel, August 31, 2016, 1:18pm; Reply: 142
Shame on the 66 scabs.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 31, 2016, 1:21pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from WetFlannel
Shame on the 66 scabs.

Don't be ridiculous.
Posted by: WetFlannel, August 31, 2016, 1:49pm; Reply: 144

Don't be ridiculous.

Meh, don't wish anything bad on them or anything, but their attendance helps legitimise something that is bad for their club. Shame on them for that decision, but I hope to cheer the team on with them on Saturday.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 31, 2016, 4:16pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Love the bit where the reporter says...

Now it is a cup with an asterisk, the product of thinking so muddled it might have been dreamed up by a team of Apprentice contestants.  

;D

we just need to hear "you're fired" in the direction of that Harvey t0ssp0t.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 31, 2016, 4:21pm; Reply: 146
Been listening into Talksport for the majority of the day and throughout the day the presenters, their guests (which include former players, former managers, sports journalists, coaches) and the callers almost to a man have condoned even the very idea of it...the only pro voice outside of the EFL that i have heard today was from.......David Unsworth Everton U23 coach........says it all to me.

Posted by: Civvy at last, August 31, 2016, 5:33pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from moosey_club
Been listening into Talksport for the majority of the day and throughout the day the presenters, their guests (which include former players, former managers, sports journalists, coaches) and the callers almost to a man have condoned even the very idea of it...the only pro voice outside of the EFL that i have heard today was from.......David Unsworth Everton U23 coach........says it all to me.

But given that there are hundreds if not thousands of former managers players etc and probably less than 100 spoke on talk sport. Surely that just backs up JF's theory that's it's just a vocal minority. 😉  

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 31, 2016, 10:56pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from moosey_club

we just need to hear "you're fired" in the direction of that Harvey t0ssp0t.

Not without the side-kick Claude giving him a going-over first

I'd love it, just love it if he went through Harvey's CV pulling him to pieces and confronting him with things like...

There's no substance to your plan. You've not done any research and you're going to alienate your target market. You're a fraud. You're a charlatan. You don't deserve a place in the process 😂
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 1, 2016, 8:18am; Reply: 149
Quoted from mariner83

Thanx for posting .
Posted by: moosey_club, September 1, 2016, 8:45am; Reply: 150
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Not without the side-kick Claude giving him a going-over first

I'd love it, just love it if he went through Harvey's CV pulling him to pieces and confronting him with things like...

There's no substance to your plan. You've not done any research and you're going to alienate your target market. You're a fraud. You're a charlatan. You don't deserve a place in the process 😂

Unfortunately for all he has the ultimate get out clause in.... "it was only a proposal but the clubs voted to accept it"......
the same line will be taken when it comes to proposing B teams or the Old Firm into Division 5.....they will not rule this out as a proposal so it will be put forward and then its down to the clubs....who have already indicated they will sell out for the lure of a few bob.  
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 8:20am