5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
May 4, 2015, 5:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,952
Gold Stars: 64
At times I have felt we were stagnating, but it's easy to get drawn into knee jerk reactions about something you are passionate about.  

The key is we have improved this season.  Last couple of years we have stumbled into the playoffs and never looked like getting to Wembley.

This year,  we have been one of the clear top 3 teams and have got to Wembley in style.  IF we don't go up, we need to trust PH for next year and keep this squad together.  A new manager will rebuild and take several months or a year to settle.  

We will need to come top next season and that means getting out of the blocks fast.

As for style, Chelsea are hard to beat and aren't always easy on the eye, but I don't see any campaign for a new manager.  They tried that before and now they are back with the manAger that wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
MeanwoodMariner
May 4, 2015, 5:36pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from nightrider
People go from one extreme to the other.
If we don't win the next 3 or 4 league games, cue everybody wanting him to go again.

It might come across like that but I think it's more about the people making the noise changes depending on results. Very few individuals change their mind that quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
Maringer
May 4, 2015, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
I've got no problem with a defensive style of play, but my one issue with us at present is that we aren't nearly good enough on the counter-attack for a team who likes to work hard defending in depth.

We've now (finally!) got some pace in some of the attacking positions of the team, but all of the central midfielders lack a bit of dynamism tending to hold onto the ball too long and we rarely seem to move play from back to front quickly enough when there is a chance of a break. Not talking about punts upfield here, more a case of fast, accurate passing through midfield. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of counter-attacking from us though if this is possible with our current squad, I'm not so sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
BIGChris
May 4, 2015, 6:29pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer
I've got no problem with a defensive style of play, but my one issue with us at present is that we aren't nearly good enough on the counter-attack for a team who likes to work hard defending in depth.

We've now (finally!) got some pace in some of the attacking positions of the team, but all of the central midfielders lack a bit of dynamism tending to hold onto the ball too long and we rarely seem to move play from back to front quickly enough when there is a chance of a break. Not talking about punts upfield here, more a case of fast, accurate passing through midfield. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of counter-attacking from us though if this is possible with our current squad, I'm not so sure.

We cant be that bad given in the last 15 games we won 11, drew 3 and lost once!
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2015, 6:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from rancido
The Board may have a new headache to sort out though. If we succeed at Wembley then obviously PH must be allowed to manage us in League 2. But if we fail then do the Board persist with PH or do they decide he has had his chances and maybe somebody else is required. The thing is that if we were looking for a new manage at this level then PH has all the credentials we would be looking for. He has got a team into the play-offs 3 seasons on the trot and made the play-off final once. I hope it doesn't come to it but it could be a very hard decision to make.

I think as some other posters have commented you grow into any job. If you think about it this is PH first solo season the ones before where either with or prepped alongside Gobby Robbie and we will never know the dynamic between them and who did what.

This is the one you should judge him on and as it stands we have a day out at Wembley booked and the chance to get back to the football league. Additionally every player he has brought in this season is better than what we had and he has proved he can spot a good player who has the right ethic and attitude.

Also and this is a big thing if a club wants to push for promotion the set of lads we now have may or may not be the best players/footballing side in the league but they are a untied team who work on and off the pitch for each other. They participate in the on and off field stuff and look genuinely proud to play alongside each other for GTFC, when in recent years have we been able to say that?

I think we have only had one red card this year (and that was a stitch up at Aldershot) so again that underlines the values and professionalism in the squad. Look at some of the other stuff he promotes e.g. if you are not playing or injured you still travel with the squad and if fit enough participate in the warm up.

He is an A licence coach and clearly thinks about the game and squad deeply. If I had a small criticism I feel at time it looks like he has needed assistance with setting up the attackers but with the addition of some extra quality Loanees that has appeared to sort itself out  I really hope this "promising young manager" fulfils his promise and takes us back to the football league.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
Maringer
May 4, 2015, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from BIGChris

We cant be that bad given in the last 15 games we won 11, drew 3 and lost once!

Well, we're not bad, but could certainly be better! If we'd been a bit better on the counter-attack we might not have needed the play-offs...  

Hopefully we'll have enough about us to break down the Bristol Rovers defence but you'd have to expect it will be a tight game between the two teams with the back lines in the Conference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
buckstown
May 4, 2015, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
Easy decision for me - go with continuity every time. I like PH, he's a good honest man, has an eye for a player and has built team spirit.
The only reason we haven't won this league is the lack of a 25 goal striker. I love LJL but we need a serious striker to play next to him. I don't think that is Ollie by the way but I'm not sure if PH would agree or if we didn't have the funds to get Mr Right into Blundell Park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 4, 2015, 7:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79

Hard to beat has delivered us a chance of promotion so i will take that now but i want to feel drawn to BP not just going out of loyalty to the club. The next progression for Hurst is to start tempering the defensive mindset and add a little excitement to draw the crowds back.  [/quote]

This is my take on things too. First 30 mins yesterday was pretty poor, and thats an understatement, and who was not cursing, under their breath, LJL for his poor touch after three attempted through balls appeared perfect back passes to their keeper. However, you have to admire the guys effort and commitment and from the moment that first goal went in so did his confidence and the quality of his performance.

Must say I go more out of habit and loyalty rather than enjoyment given the standard of our home performances but I also accept that 3 play offs and 2 wembley trips, albeit with RS's support imitially, means he will be with us for at least another season. I hope thats in league 2 but if not I think he will now the requirement for a regular goalscorer is a must if you are to win this league outright.

For now my only thought is wiining against BR do that and those boring cold nights will have been worthwhile!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
barralad
May 4, 2015, 7:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I've made no secret of my support for Paul Hurst since he was given the job solo. In previous seasons the team has gone off the boil once the new year has been reached. Paul has received criticism (maybe justified) for his loan signings at that time. The biggest sign of improvement is in who he has brought in during the latter part of this season. Only yesterday we were given a reminder of that. A loanee scores two of the goals and another puts his body on the line to keep the conceded column at zero.
BigChris hits the nail on the head regarding player continuity. Why would you put that at risk?
Most of the people who have replied have been broadly in the pro-Hurst camp. I'd be interested (genuinely) in the views of the very vociferous anti-Hurst camp from a few weeks ago.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
Caesar
May 4, 2015, 7:17pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Don't want to talk about what happens in any future scenario.

However as someone who was in the Hurst out camp after we drew at Dartford I do feel the need at the moment to eat a little bit of humble of pie. I do think he has grown and shows he is learning. Is everything perfect at our club? No, we have often struggled to beat teams home and away we should beat, we let our late title charge whimper out with some lackluster home performances.  

However on the whole Hurst is clearly learning, I admire his eye for a player and his calm demeanour. I wouldn't be a Town fan (or a football fan) if I didn't want more, I hope we all do. But atm I am fully behind him and hope he can bring us the success he and all of us crave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst - progress as a manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.