May 4, 2015, 1:46pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from mariner91
I think the last 2 months have shown that he is still improving, I will admit that I was worried that his progress had stagnated but I was wrong. His substitutions are getting better with both personnel and timing. He seems to have a bit more tactical nous than he did and even his interviews are getting better. Personally I like the guy a lot and I'm proud to say we have a manager that is a thoroughly decent bloke. He's always had an eye for a player and doesn't just sign anybody, he waits to get the right player. The players clearly love playing for him and the rapport among the team as well as with the fans is the best it has been in a decade at least. If we don't go up, we stick with him in my opinion. No he isn't perfect but we're a fifth tier team (currently) and we could do a lot, lot worse than PH. As somebody else said, our loss would be someone else's gain.

Some top points!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
KK_DOG
May 4, 2015, 2:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
It's a no brainer for me. We stick with him. The problem maybe, will he stick with us when we get promoted !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
paulgtfc
May 4, 2015, 2:18pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
If he has got us promoted then we will be in a strong position for his replacement to take the reins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
cmackenzie4
May 4, 2015, 2:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Paul has made some excellent signings and obviously learnt from past mistakes, look how he has got the team playing this last season, I hope he does get given another chance if we don't get promoted, nobody can deny he is getting better and still learning.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
moosey_club
May 4, 2015, 3:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,193
Gold Stars: 224
We are difficult to beat, should really expect that from a team built up by a career defender..with a defender as assistant manager alongside him...with a defender physio.......thats a great place to start from however we are rarely easy on the eye which has been my biggest gripe, i have hardly come out of BP thrilled over the last two seasons which is killing my enthusiasm.
Yesterday, wasnt great until Ollie fired in the first and neither was the first leg if you take away Arnold's wonder strikes.

Hard to beat has delivered us a chance of promotion so i will take that now but i want to feel drawn to BP not just going out of loyalty to the club. The next progression for Hurst is to start tempering the defensive mindset and add a little excitement to draw the crowds back.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
NorthLeedsMariner
May 4, 2015, 3:33pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
Are we suggesting we are happy with the manager and Mr Fenty?

If so, what the hell are we going to talk about this close season..

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
GrimRob
May 4, 2015, 4:28pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
There would be a queue of clubs wanting to sign him if we are mad enough to offload him, not least Eastleigh (can you imagine what their Chairman thinks of him after we beat them for the fourth time). He's paid his wages more or less every year he's been here with FA Trophy and Cup runs and play-off games.He was a football league player and he'll be a football league manager one day

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 41
nightrider
May 4, 2015, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
People go from one extreme to the other.
If we don't win the next 3 or 4 league games, cue everybody wanting him to go again.
We win a couple of games (Eastleigh...) and he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I can think of as many negatives as I can positives.  
Pre Ollie Palmer, he had to go for me. But things have picked up since and whatever happens now he just about deserves a new contract.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
friskneymariner
May 4, 2015, 5:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Around Christmas  I was one of the Hirst out brigade.However he addressed some of the problems and Palmer and Robertson were good signings as well as Jolley.We need to keep the nucleus of this team plus a couple of additions whatever league we are in.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
BIGChris
May 4, 2015, 5:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
If we don't go up Hurst stays and so do 8/9 of first choice team. Hurst goes and that 8/9 comes 2/3 and a HUGE rebuilding job.

Absolute no brainer for me
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst - progress as a manager

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.