Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 4, 2015, 11:42am
Paul Hurst's first solo match in charge was the 4-0 thrashing away to Halifax.  The club was in turmoil with Scott suspended. We were dreadful that day.

Look at the quiet, steady and sustained progress since.  His judgement on players has been excellent.  Even perservering with Shop, when many fans disagreed.  Lettting Neilson and Thomas go.  This improved team spirit and results.  No individuals who are erratic in their performances (or at least as erratic as they could be at times).

Palmer, Gowling, Robertson (Magnay of course) have been the right type of players.  Parslow is there for experienced back up.

We have got to Wembley after 2 years of failure in the play-offs.  This is a big step forward.  

A team often reflects the managers values, beliefs and standards.  No Richard Hill style ranting,  no diving, cheating and poor sportmanship.  Just a good, honest team who give everything.  And are used to winning away from home.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 4, 2015, 11:49am; Reply: 1
I think he's doing really well. He's been steadily improving since he went solo and even in his interviews you can sense he knows what he's doing more and more.
Posted by: WokingMariner, May 4, 2015, 11:59am; Reply: 2
Any job takes a few years to master.
Posted by: rancido, May 4, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 3
The Board may have a new headache to sort out though. If we succeed at Wembley then obviously PH must be allowed to manage us in League 2. But if we fail then do the Board persist with PH or do they decide he has had his chances and maybe somebody else is required. The thing is that if we were looking for a new manage at this level then PH has all the credentials we would be looking for. He has got a team into the play-offs 3 seasons on the trot and made the play-off final once. I hope it doesn't come to it but it could be a very hard decision to make.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 4, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 4
Hurst has grown on me to be honest.I like his quiet, understated and rational approach, the spirited team he has built. Unlike some managers he doesn't stand there after we haven't won blaming referees a la Pulis, Phil Brown and that Hill idiot. And win or lose he doesn't go over the top in his critique of the players. GTFC is quite a positive, stable place these days
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 4, 2015, 12:40pm; Reply: 5
The main point for me following a Town team is following a team who will give their all and PH has built that.  If he had this team at the start of the season it could be argued we would have won the league outright.

I was told by someone that PH would make a great manager in a couple of seasons but felt he was too defensive at home and that's why our home form has been as good as it should have been for a team in our position.

PH's progression is there for everyone to see, we've got back that Grimsby grit and the players are playing for each other.

PH should when he gets us promoted, will be more than ok in league 2.
Posted by: big al, May 4, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from rancido
The Board may have a new headache to sort out though. If we succeed at Wembley then obviously PH must be allowed to manage us in League 2. But if we fail then do the Board persist with PH or do they decide he has had his chances and maybe somebody else is required. The thing is that if we were looking for a new manage at this level then PH has all the credentials we would be looking for. He has got a team into the play-offs 3 seasons on the trot and made the play-off final once. I hope it doesn't come to it but it could be a very hard decision to make.

What? Some people just go looking for it. I like the bloke and know that others would kill to have him as their manager. What headache?
Posted by: GrahamH, May 4, 2015, 12:58pm; Reply: 7
Definitely all the above! qualities in abundance If we don't keep PH it will be our loss and another club gain  :(
Posted by: paulgtfc, May 4, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 8
Good progress as posted above.

However his team has fallen short when it mattered - eg previous play off games, Wrexham Cup final.  Eastleigh was a lot easier than Gateshead or Newport so difficult to judge against those.

The final is Hurst's / the team's chance to prove that we are up to it.  Looking at first 3 of our 5 goals in the play off games suggests we now have matchwinners / players that can score out of nothing.

Marcus Marshall v Nathan Arnold - that shows how we have improved but need to prove that on May 17.  A tough tough final but then Bristol should be saying the same!
Posted by: mariner91, May 4, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 9
I think the last 2 months have shown that he is still improving, I will admit that I was worried that his progress had stagnated but I was wrong. His substitutions are getting better with both personnel and timing. He seems to have a bit more tactical nous than he did and even his interviews are getting better. Personally I like the guy a lot and I'm proud to say we have a manager that is a thoroughly decent bloke. He's always had an eye for a player and doesn't just sign anybody, he waits to get the right player. The players clearly love playing for him and the rapport among the team as well as with the fans is the best it has been in a decade at least. If we don't go up, we stick with him in my opinion. No he isn't perfect but we're a fifth tier team (currently) and we could do a lot, lot worse than PH. As somebody else said, our loss would be someone else's gain.
Posted by: paulgtfc, May 4, 2015, 1:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner91
I think the last 2 months have shown that he is still improving, I will admit that I was worried that his progress had stagnated but I was wrong. His substitutions are getting better with both personnel and timing. He seems to have a bit more tactical nous than he did and even his interviews are getting better. Personally I like the guy a lot and I'm proud to say we have a manager that is a thoroughly decent bloke. He's always had an eye for a player and doesn't just sign anybody, he waits to get the right player. The players clearly love playing for him and the rapport among the team as well as with the fans is the best it has been in a decade at least. If we don't go up, we stick with him in my opinion. No he isn't perfect but we're a fifth tier team (currently) and we could do a lot, lot worse than PH. As somebody else said, our loss would be someone else's gain.

Some top points!
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 4, 2015, 2:09pm; Reply: 11
It's a no brainer for me. We stick with him. The problem maybe, will he stick with us when we get promoted !!
Posted by: paulgtfc, May 4, 2015, 2:18pm; Reply: 12
If he has got us promoted then we will be in a strong position for his replacement to take the reins.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 4, 2015, 2:20pm; Reply: 13
Paul has made some excellent signings and obviously learnt from past mistakes, look how he has got the team playing this last season, I hope he does get given another chance if we don't get promoted, nobody can deny he is getting better and still learning.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 4, 2015, 3:14pm; Reply: 14
We are difficult to beat, should really expect that from a team built up by a career defender..with a defender as assistant manager alongside him...with a defender physio.......thats a great place to start from however we are rarely easy on the eye which has been my biggest gripe, i have hardly come out of BP thrilled over the last two seasons which is killing my enthusiasm.
Yesterday, wasnt great until Ollie fired in the first and neither was the first leg if you take away Arnold's wonder strikes.

Hard to beat has delivered us a chance of promotion so i will take that now but i want to feel drawn to BP not just going out of loyalty to the club. The next progression for Hurst is to start tempering the defensive mindset and add a little excitement to draw the crowds back.  
Posted by: NorthLeedsMariner, May 4, 2015, 3:33pm; Reply: 15
Are we suggesting we are happy with the manager and Mr Fenty?

If so, what the hell are we going to talk about this close season..
Posted by: GrimRob, May 4, 2015, 4:28pm; Reply: 16
There would be a queue of clubs wanting to sign him if we are mad enough to offload him, not least Eastleigh (can you imagine what their Chairman thinks of him after we beat them for the fourth time). He's paid his wages more or less every year he's been here with FA Trophy and Cup runs and play-off games.He was a football league player and he'll be a football league manager one day
Posted by: nightrider, May 4, 2015, 4:47pm; Reply: 17
People go from one extreme to the other.
If we don't win the next 3 or 4 league games, cue everybody wanting him to go again.
We win a couple of games (Eastleigh...) and he's the best thing since sliced bread.

I can think of as many negatives as I can positives.  
Pre Ollie Palmer, he had to go for me. But things have picked up since and whatever happens now he just about deserves a new contract.

Posted by: friskneymariner, May 4, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 18
Around Christmas  I was one of the Hirst out brigade.However he addressed some of the problems and Palmer and Robertson were good signings as well as Jolley.We need to keep the nucleus of this team plus a couple of additions whatever league we are in.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 4, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 19
If we don't go up Hurst stays and so do 8/9 of first choice team. Hurst goes and that 8/9 comes 2/3 and a HUGE rebuilding job.

Absolute no brainer for me
Posted by: LondonMariner43, May 4, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 20
At times I have felt we were stagnating, but it's easy to get drawn into knee jerk reactions about something you are passionate about.  

The key is we have improved this season.  Last couple of years we have stumbled into the playoffs and never looked like getting to Wembley.

This year,  we have been one of the clear top 3 teams and have got to Wembley in style.  IF we don't go up, we need to trust PH for next year and keep this squad together.  A new manager will rebuild and take several months or a year to settle.  

We will need to come top next season and that means getting out of the blocks fast.

As for style, Chelsea are hard to beat and aren't always easy on the eye, but I don't see any campaign for a new manager.  They tried that before and now they are back with the manAger that wins.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 4, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from nightrider
People go from one extreme to the other.
If we don't win the next 3 or 4 league games, cue everybody wanting him to go again.

It might come across like that but I think it's more about the people making the noise changes depending on results. Very few individuals change their mind that quickly.
Posted by: Maringer, May 4, 2015, 6:25pm; Reply: 22
I've got no problem with a defensive style of play, but my one issue with us at present is that we aren't nearly good enough on the counter-attack for a team who likes to work hard defending in depth.

We've now (finally!) got some pace in some of the attacking positions of the team, but all of the central midfielders lack a bit of dynamism tending to hold onto the ball too long and we rarely seem to move play from back to front quickly enough when there is a chance of a break. Not talking about punts upfield here, more a case of fast, accurate passing through midfield. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of counter-attacking from us though if this is possible with our current squad, I'm not so sure.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 4, 2015, 6:29pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Maringer
I've got no problem with a defensive style of play, but my one issue with us at present is that we aren't nearly good enough on the counter-attack for a team who likes to work hard defending in depth.

We've now (finally!) got some pace in some of the attacking positions of the team, but all of the central midfielders lack a bit of dynamism tending to hold onto the ball too long and we rarely seem to move play from back to front quickly enough when there is a chance of a break. Not talking about punts upfield here, more a case of fast, accurate passing through midfield. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of counter-attacking from us though if this is possible with our current squad, I'm not so sure.

We cant be that bad given in the last 15 games we won 11, drew 3 and lost once!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2015, 6:47pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from rancido

I think as some other posters have commented you grow into any job. If you think about it this is PH first solo season the ones before where either with or prepped alongside Gobby Robbie and we will never know the dynamic between them and who did what.

This is the one you should judge him on and as it stands we have a day out at Wembley booked and the chance to get back to the football league. Additionally every player he has brought in this season is better than what we had and he has proved he can spot a good player who has the right ethic and attitude.

Also and this is a big thing if a club wants to push for promotion the set of lads we now have may or may not be the best players/footballing side in the league but they are a untied team who work on and off the pitch for each other. They participate in the on and off field stuff and look genuinely proud to play alongside each other for GTFC, when in recent years have we been able to say that?

I think we have only had one red card this year (and that was a stitch up at Aldershot) so again that underlines the values and professionalism in the squad. Look at some of the other stuff he promotes e.g. if you are not playing or injured you still travel with the squad and if fit enough participate in the warm up.

He is an A licence coach and clearly thinks about the game and squad deeply. If I had a small criticism I feel at time it looks like he has needed assistance with setting up the attackers but with the addition of some extra quality Loanees that has appeared to sort itself out  I really hope this "promising young manager" fulfils his promise and takes us back to the football league.    

Posted by: Maringer, May 4, 2015, 6:54pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from BIGChris

We cant be that bad given in the last 15 games we won 11, drew 3 and lost once!

Well, we're not bad, but could certainly be better! If we'd been a bit better on the counter-attack we might not have needed the play-offs...  ;)

Hopefully we'll have enough about us to break down the Bristol Rovers defence but you'd have to expect it will be a tight game between the two teams with the back lines in the Conference.
Posted by: buckstown, May 4, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 26
Easy decision for me - go with continuity every time. I like PH, he's a good honest man, has an eye for a player and has built team spirit.
The only reason we haven't won this league is the lack of a 25 goal striker. I love LJL but we need a serious striker to play next to him. I don't think that is Ollie by the way but I'm not sure if PH would agree or if we didn't have the funds to get Mr Right into Blundell Park
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 27

Hard to beat has delivered us a chance of promotion so i will take that now but i want to feel drawn to BP not just going out of loyalty to the club. The next progression for Hurst is to start tempering the defensive mindset and add a little excitement to draw the crowds back.  [/quote]

This is my take on things too. First 30 mins yesterday was pretty poor, and thats an understatement, and who was not cursing, under their breath, LJL for his poor touch after three attempted through balls appeared perfect back passes to their keeper. However, you have to admire the guys effort and commitment and from the moment that first goal went in so did his confidence and the quality of his performance.

Must say I go more out of habit and loyalty rather than enjoyment given the standard of our home performances but I also accept that 3 play offs and 2 wembley trips, albeit with RS's support imitially, means he will be with us for at least another season. I hope thats in league 2 but if not I think he will now the requirement for a regular goalscorer is a must if you are to win this league outright.

For now my only thought is wiining against BR do that and those boring cold nights will have been worthwhile!
Posted by: barralad, May 4, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 28
I've made no secret of my support for Paul Hurst since he was given the job solo. In previous seasons the team has gone off the boil once the new year has been reached. Paul has received criticism (maybe justified) for his loan signings at that time. The biggest sign of improvement is in who he has brought in during the latter part of this season. Only yesterday we were given a reminder of that. A loanee scores two of the goals and another puts his body on the line to keep the conceded column at zero.
BigChris hits the nail on the head regarding player continuity. Why would you put that at risk?
Most of the people who have replied have been broadly in the pro-Hurst camp. I'd be interested (genuinely) in the views of the very vociferous anti-Hurst camp from a few weeks ago.
Posted by: Caesar, May 4, 2015, 7:17pm; Reply: 29
Don't want to talk about what happens in any future scenario.

However as someone who was in the Hurst out camp after we drew at Dartford I do feel the need at the moment to eat a little bit of humble of pie. I do think he has grown and shows he is learning. Is everything perfect at our club? No, we have often struggled to beat teams home and away we should beat, we let our late title charge whimper out with some lackluster home performances.  

However on the whole Hurst is clearly learning, I admire his eye for a player and his calm demeanour. I wouldn't be a Town fan (or a football fan) if I didn't want more, I hope we all do. But atm I am fully behind him and hope he can bring us the success he and all of us crave.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 4, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from barralad
I've made no secret of my support for Paul Hurst since he was given the job solo. In previous seasons the team has gone off the boil once the new year has been reached. Paul has received criticism (maybe justified) for his loan signings at that time. The biggest sign of improvement is in who he has brought in during the latter part of this season. Only yesterday we were given a reminder of that. A loanee scores two of the goals and another puts his body on the line to keep the conceded column at zero.
BigChris hits the nail on the head regarding player continuity. Why would you put that at risk?
Most of the people who have replied have been broadly in the pro-Hurst camp. I'd be interested (genuinely) in the views of the very vociferous anti-Hurst camp from a few weeks ago.

Well Barra I was one of those, just after christmas though not a few weeks, but I cannot argue with our away form which I have said previously is unbelievable. My argument has been solely based on the level of entertainment and attacking options/ability in home games. Too often our performance for the whole game, are what we saw for the first 30 minutes yesterday, hence my disquiet. But I accept that we are in a results industry and his record is there for all to see.
I think this is the year we should have won the league and those dropped points in early home matches will be a major source of grief should we fall at the last hurdle.

In summary, he has put together a group of players who want to be here and are proud to wear the shirt, and I will not be looking for change this summer now no matter what the result at Wembley.
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 4, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 31
I'll Tell you what if we fail I bet Tranmere would come knocking if PH was un settled .
Posted by: oldun, May 4, 2015, 7:23pm; Reply: 32
It is ok to debate whether PH should be retained, but don't let's forget  he may receive attractive offers from other clubs, so it is not just a case of what we would like. If we want him we have to show we value him.
Posted by: sydney, May 4, 2015, 10:51pm; Reply: 33
Agree
Stick with PH
Big test for us on the 17th but we have a chance, a window back to what everyone desires..
Lots of people have said to me that they can feel it this year, let's hope they are right.
Come on Town
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 4, 2015, 11:08pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from fleabag1970
I'll Tell you what if we fail I bet Tranmere would come knocking if PH was un settled .
They're already lining up Gary Brabin for the job.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 4, 2015, 11:57pm; Reply: 35
3 scenarios for me,

1) We win then he stays

2) We go down fighting he possibly stays but if we are not challenging for top spot come the end of October he goes then.

3) We go out with a whimper then he goes.
Posted by: Garth, May 5, 2015, 9:56am; Reply: 36
Paul Hurst stays for me regarding the result at Wembley, its a no brainer and a win win

Fail at Wembley retain manager and players who would be carrying massive hurt that will spur them on to win the league outright next season

Win at Wembley and see if we can do the same in League 2

Away games are our strength, so why is Wembley different UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 5, 2015, 10:09am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth
Paul Hurst stays for me regarding the result at Wembley, its a no brainer and a win win

Fail at Wembley retain manager and players who would be carrying massive hurt that will spur them on to win the league outright next season

Win at Wembley and see if we can do the same in League 2

Away games are our strength, so why is Wembley different UTM

If we lose how the hell can it be "win win"

We would be consigned to spend another season in this frigging league and surely it would confirm that the squad wasn't good enough.

Let's hope we win to end all the speculation.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 5, 2015, 10:51am; Reply: 38
I had my doubts about Paul earlier in the season,

Since then he has made good signings and has grown into the job,

When he gets us promoted I can see other clubs coming in for him,

I hope he stays and gets us another promotion,

People who are saying if we lose at Wembley he should go,

Are talking rubbish,

If we fail this year he stays imo,

AND

We go up as champions next year.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 5, 2015, 1:23pm; Reply: 39
Hurst's first game was a 0-0 at Luton, but yes he's doing a good job. I can see the thinking behind wanting rid if we don't go up, but I'd stick with him. Who'd do a better job? Last thing we want would be another Rodger-type appointment.

All academic really, as we're going to win the final 12-0 ;)
Posted by: StiggsGTFC, May 5, 2015, 1:26pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Maringer

Well, we're not bad, but could certainly be better! If we'd been a bit better on the counter-attack we might not have needed the play-offs...  ;)

Hopefully we'll have enough about us to break down the Bristol Rovers defence but you'd have to expect it will be a tight game between the two teams with the back lines in the Conference.

Not sure we have a problem with counter attack, hence the away results.

The problem is breaking down defensive teams at home.

Posted by: rancido, May 6, 2015, 3:50pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from big al

What? Some people just go looking for it. I like the bloke and know that others would kill to have him as their manager. What headache?

I was actually seeing what fans views were on the subject of PH remaining manage and how the Board would react IF we fail at Wembley. I personally think he should continue regardless of the outcome of the Final. We need continuity and PH has given us that , coupled with stability and some progress year on year since he started flying " solo ". The point is that there are a lot of posters on here ( I could name them but it would take up too much time and space ) who categorically stated that if PH didn't get us promoted this season then he should go. I also expressed this view earlier in the season but the squad he has assembled since Christmas has demonstrated to me that he knows what is required to get us out of this league. Hopefully he will be successful and lead us on to success in the Football League 2.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 2:17am