KingstonMariner
April 20, 2015, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
In my eyes the issue isn't just about the youth coaches, the facilities or even the funding.

It's about the gap between youth football and professional football.  The gulf in both technical and physical terms is huge!  Generally speaking we give one-year deals to the lads who have just graduated from the youth team and expect them to develop physically, technically and mentally to the level of an established professional. If they're to remain at the club not only are they required to match the level of the existing professionals but to surpass them.  For a side like ours without a reserve team and incredibly limited first team opportunities, that's virtually impossible.

Once we ditch this idea that every player reaches their potential at 17 or 18 then we'll see higher retention of youth players.  Southwell is a classic example of a lad who could have done with another year or so to find his feet as a young professional.  

Southwell looks to have benefited from having to drop down a level and is fortunate that he didn't have to drop too far where he can rebuild his career and more importantly continue his education.  He's in a small minority though as most lads released after a brief spell as a young pro lose heart and drift down the footballing ladder.  Some where never good enough, some we'll never know.

This new TV money does need to filter down into grass roots more.  We need more coaches, we need better facilities, we need to make coaching more attractive and accessible.  But we also need to develop a structure where young players aren't judged until their much older.

Put that way we ought to ditch the youth set up. We haven't a reserve team to develop the older ones with potential. May as well go the whole hog and save more money and avoid giving false hopes to lads.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 101
KingstonMariner
April 20, 2015, 8:02pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
I think the difference between Southwell ( and Cook too ) is that Hurst would have played them a lot more (or at least thought about playing them more) if they had scored more when in the team

I'm not saying that they didn't score regularly but to secure their place in the team they would have had to have been on fire and therefore basically undroppable (if that's a word)

Contrast this with Lenny for example (and this is not a criticism of him at all) who is chosen more or less week in week out because he has other attributes

I think we had a discussion on here once about what constitutes a striker and what constitutes a goal scorer...Lenny fits the bill as a striker because he's there as a target man, holds up play and chips in with goals.

Southwell and Cook (and maybe also Hannah) are more goalscorers and Hurst's approach (or so it seems to me) is that they are a luxury unless they are more than prolific

It's all about style and which players suit the manager's tactics...a situation which we as fans can have opinions about but can't really affect

The bottom line is two ex forwards have moved on and so have we...it Southwell and Cook get back in to the Conference Prem (or whatever it'll be called next season) and find their feet again at this level, then good luck to them.

I'm just hoping we get up via the playoffs and arguments about their respective merits can be put to bed once and for all because by then, we should then be looking forward as a league club and not back over our shoulders at our time out of the league

Southwell had a good record when given the chance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 101
friskneymariner
April 20, 2015, 8:11pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I think Hurst likes his strikers to defend,thats why the likes of Neilson and Palmer do not fit into his style of play .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 101
mariner91
April 20, 2015, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Southwell had a good record when given the chance.

Not really, he scored 5 but three were against Coalville Town who are three leagues below Town. Doesn't exactly prove he was up to it at our level at that point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 101
KingstonMariner
April 21, 2015, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Not really, he scored 5 but three were against Coalville Town who are three leagues below Town. Doesn't exactly prove he was up to it at our level at that point.

Jesus Christ!. He took his chance when he was given it. It was more than our other strikers managed. Who were the other two against? Should they be chalked off too?

Your statement is a bit like saying our win against Colville didn't count because they are excrement. We shouldn't have progressed to the next round. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Or how about Liam Hearn when he was banging them in in the Conference North. Nope. Lower division. Clearly not good enough for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 101
Garth
April 21, 2015, 9:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Look DS has developed into a very useful striker for Boston and has in fact cocked a snoot to all of us, Good luck to him maybe he will come back one day who knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 101
mariner91
April 21, 2015, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Jesus Christ!. He took his chance when he was given it. It was more than our other strikers managed. Who were the other two against? Should they be chalked off too?

Your statement is a bit like saying our win against Colville didn't count because they are excrement. We shouldn't have progressed to the next round. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

Or how about Liam Hearn when he was banging them in in the Conference North. Nope. Lower division. Clearly not good enough for us.

Yes you can only beat what's in front of you but if someone uses stats that aren't in context then it's misleading. He took his chance against a team three leagues lower, more than half his goals came in that game, suggesting that he didn't take his chances any other time really or at least very rarely. Three leagues at this level is a huge difference, that's the same level Brigg Town play. It proves precisely nothing for a player at this level to be able to score against those sort of teams.

Since then, he's really proving himself the level below and would certainly deserve a shot at the conference again. And fair play to the lad, he's obviously worked hard and kept improving when people with less character would have given up. However, I think leaving was probably best for him and for Town. We couldn't afford to wait for him to improve and he wouldn't have got the chances to improve if he'd been here. He didn't show enough to be kept on and you only have to search back a year on this message board to see that 95% of people didn't think he should have been kept on. People are using his success at Boston to have a go at PH but that is using hindsight which is unfair.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 101
headingly_mariner
April 21, 2015, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I always thought he was intelligent and showed some promise, I would have liked to see us keep him but as others have said without a reserve team and unlikely to be first choice he may not have made the same development.

He has clearly benefitted from a full season of first team football and trying to sign him over the summer wouldn't be a bad plan for me.

I certainly don't blame PH for letting him go, on a tight budget tough decisions have to be made and I think he was quite complimentary about him when he spoke about releasing in the GET, I got the impression he was reluctantly released.

Fair play to Dayle though who clearly hasn't sulked after getting released and has kicked on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 101
arryarryarry
April 21, 2015, 11:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Garth
Look DS has developed into a very useful striker for Boston and has in fact cocked a snoot to all of us, Good luck to him maybe he will come back one day who knows

I agree, I always thought there was something missing from his game as he did miss quite a few easier chances, but fair does to the lad, I hope he goes on to better things.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 101
oldun
April 21, 2015, 12:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
He had a bit of pace especially over 5-10yards and this might be helpful if he is playing against slower defenders in the league below. He has also physically stronger when he left. Quite a few of his goals have come from pens, but eh good luck to him, I hope he continues to do well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.