11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
April 21, 2015, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
It is very difficult for the manager to decide who to release and when. Some decisions will envitably be wrong, with hindsight.

We let Danny North go.  We also got some money for Jack Barlow, who was known to have character issues.  Some you win, some you lose.  We are where we are.

Without releasing players, there is no money for new blood.  A new players could be twice as good as the released player, whose strengths and eweaknesses are known to us.

Man United, a club without a tight budget, let Paul Pogba go as they did not rate him.   They are now rumoured to be trying to buy him back for over £50M!   Other top clubs are also said to be after him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 101
Maringer
April 21, 2015, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
If we didn't have Hannah on the books (and at a much higher wage, undoubtedly), I'd imagine we'd have kept Southwell on for another year. Not really the room for two scamperers in our style of play.

He's done well at Boston for one season now so he's set himself a target for the future. Good on him. If they fail to win promotion, it will be interesting to see if he is tempted away from Boston next season by a Conference Premier club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 101
FishOutOfWater
April 22, 2015, 1:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
It is very difficult for the manager to decide who to release and when. Some decisions will envitably be wrong, with hindsight.

We let Danny North go.  We also got some money for Jack Barlow, who was known to have character issues.  Some you win, some you lose.  We are where we are.

Without releasing players, there is no money for new blood.  A new players could be twice as good as the released player, whose strengths and eweaknesses are known to us.

Man United, a club without a tight budget, let Paul Pogba go as they did not rate him.   They are now rumoured to be trying to buy him back for over £50M!   Other top clubs are also said to be after him.

Funny how some young forwards come along and flourish and others just fall by the wayside...I bet Danny North had he stayed with us would have done well at this level because when on form he knew where the back of the net was when he played for us

Another one who we released (and I don't know where he ended up) was Andy Taylor - his stats on Soccerbase look reasonable enough but something must have been lacking in his game

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43077

I remember Buckley lambasting him post match after we had trounced Barnet...Taylor scored in the game but he missed several other chances as I recall it. Maybe he just couldn't deal with criticism?

Anyway Dayle Southwell has got something in his character if he's had his confidence knocked along the way...remember how he once stormed off after being subbed 20 or so minutes in?

A little bit of growing up since has probably taken place and his maturity both physically and mentally as he gets older, stronger and wiser seems to be doing the trick. Good luck to him I say!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 101
diehardmariner
April 22, 2015, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Taylor and to an extent North always looked better with Gary Jones alongside them.  I think it was intentional from Alan Buckley to pair Jones with the younger lads in the hope he would pass on his know-how of the game.

Something we've lacked over recent years, in terms of both experience and stability, is players who have been able to pass on their skills.  I'm not saying this is why we've a low success rate with youth team graduates but I think there's a place for experienced professionals bringing younger lads on, a passing of the torch if you like.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 101
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2015, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Pogba refused a contract offer and believed he was worth more. Fair play, he's proved United wrong, I guess Dayle has done similar albeit at an entirely different level.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 101
mariner91
April 22, 2015, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Pogba refused a contract offer and believed he was worth more. Fair play, he's proved United wrong, I guess Dayle has done similar albeit at an entirely different level.

I read somewhere that Pogba decided to leave after Fergie started Rafael (a terrible full back) in centre midfield ahead of Pogba in a league cup game. Fair enough really, I'd be upset if Rafael started ahead of me and I'm shite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 101
MuddyWaters
April 22, 2015, 5:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from mariner91

I read somewhere that Pogba decided to leave after Fergie started Rafael (a terrible full back) in centre midfield ahead of Pogba in a league cup game. Fair enough really, I'd be upset if Rafael started ahead of me and I'm shite.

All about opinions isn't it. I'd have Rafael ahead of Parslow at right back or centre midfield!
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 101
Chrisblor
April 22, 2015, 5:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from diehardmariner
Taylor and to an extent North always looked better with Gary Jones alongside them.  I think it was intentional from Alan Buckley to pair Jones with the younger lads in the hope he would pass on his know-how of the game.

Something we've lacked over recent years, in terms of both experience and stability, is players who have been able to pass on their skills.  I'm not saying this is why we've a low success rate with youth team graduates but I think there's a place for experienced professionals bringing younger lads on, a passing of the torch if you like.

He's not exactly close to retirement yet, but Shaun Pearson fulfils this role imo. He seems to do a lot of work with the school of excellence players.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 101
Abdul19
April 22, 2015, 5:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
To be fair to Rafael, his brother is even shitter.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 101
BIGChris
April 22, 2015, 7:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Chrisblor

He's not exactly close to retirement yet, but Shaun Pearson fulfils this role imo. He seems to do a lot of work with the school of excellence players.

Shaun is co-coach to the Under15/16 combined age group
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.