grimsby pete
April 18, 2015, 11:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from BIGChris

I would have liked to have seen Paul walker given an opportunity but Magnay has been top notch.
The others you mention are a fair bit short of this level IMO

We know young players are not as consistent as senior pro's,

BUT

A lot of them that do not make the grade at one club,

Sometimes make a name for themselves at another,

What I have heard of Hurst he does not give the young lads the right message,

Which knocks their confidence and they do not perform to their best,

He once said about Cook that he lacks confidence in himself and I can not put that in him,

Well he could, if he told Cook he was the man enough times,

Cook would have believed him and might have been a lot better player,

IMHO

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 101
Maringer
April 18, 2015, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from grimsby pete

Although he scored 16 goals for us in his 1st season.

Specifically, I was talking about League (well, Conference) goals which are all that really counts in our current situation. He scored 14 of them for us in two seasons which isn't exactly great.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 101
itsnotcoditshaddock
April 18, 2015, 11:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Pretty sure there'll be a few clubs having a look at Dayle with that kind of scoring record.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 101
grimsby pete
April 18, 2015, 11:11pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer

Specifically, I was talking about League (well, Conference) goals which are all that really counts in our current situation. He scored 14 of them for us in two seasons which isn't exactly great.

See my post above,

I believe Hurst knocked all the confidence out of him.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 101
Maringer
April 18, 2015, 11:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I'm sorry Pete, but a lot of the time (in his second season specifically), Cook simply looked like he couldn't be arsed. His fitness was poor, his efforts were poor and it was pretty embarrassing (not to mention infuriating), to see a young lad who is a professional footballer puffing and blowing after 15 minutes on the pitch because he wasn't working hard enough to earn his wage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 101
grimsby pete
April 18, 2015, 11:23pm

Exile
Quoted from Maringer
I'm sorry Pete, but a lot of the time (in his second season specifically), Cook simply looked like he couldn't be arsed. His fitness was poor, his efforts were poor and it was pretty embarrassing (not to mention infuriating), to see a young lad who is a professional footballer puffing and blowing after 15 minutes on the pitch because he wasn't working hard enough to earn his wage.

He has no excuse for not been fit enough,

BUT

Cook was a confidence player and I think he had all his confidence knocked out of him,

So he ended up not been good enough.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 101
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2015, 9:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

Perhaps you could also consider the fact that Andy Cook had a mental illness that affected his confidence which isn't great when a manager shows no confidence in you. Maybe he's found his level, maybe Dayle has too but maybe they'd have been a better option than other strikers we've got on the books - we'll never know.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 101
gobby
April 19, 2015, 9:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Nice to see Southwell has found his level.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 101
pontoonlew
April 19, 2015, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from aldi_01
Southwell has found his level. Nobody ever questioned commitment but ability was questionable at this level and further up.

The other names mentioned weren't good enough. Could they have improved with game time etc who knows? Have we the time to wait and see? Probably not.

Christ, people at BP and on here are moaning after 5 minutes/10 minutes if we go a goal behind. If we lose one game in 10 people think it's all over. I don't think the club could gamble on so many young lads at once.

The set up isn't great either but we make do with what we have. Like many fans people talk about their clubs youth set up with rose tinted glasses on. The question that needs asking is how many have graduated through our setup and gone on to play professional football for a sustained period of time or even on to a higher level? Answer is...very few. We all know the recent stories about a certain Mr Barlow who allegedly had ability, went to Hull, was exposed by lads his own age and had a shocking attitude. Where's hevplaying now? That's rofht, for an expensive Sunday league...

That's quite a claim you're making about Cook right there, I hope you have some actual evidence or that's quite a stupid post.

I'm struggling to see how 30 goals in a season is somebody 'finding their level' because 30 goals suggests he's better than that level.

The people still slagging off Cook baffle me. So easy to forget the guy was our top scorer in his first season at 21 years old. The second year he was barely ever given a run of games, so quite how you ever expected him to reach the same heights is totally beyond me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 101
MuddyWaters
April 19, 2015, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from aldi_01

[b]As for Cook, I'm sure his mental illness wasn't helped by

I hope you've got good proof or a good lawyer!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.