11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
tintowner
April 24, 2015, 8:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
To score goals you have to be on the pitch in the first place.

When you spend the majority of the time outside the squad or on the bench..... and then you get 10-15 minutes at the end (usually because whoever you replace hasn't pulled up any trees) and everybody expects you to score.  

Did Southwell start the next game after his Coalville heroics?

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 101
ginnywings
April 24, 2015, 11:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Ask yourself this question. Given the chances that our strikers have missed in open play, would Southwell have done any better in finding the net? I think he would and it doesn't matter who those chances come against when you are in front of the goal with the ball at your feet. Another question is whether our strikers are capable of scoring the amount of goals Southwell has this season in the league below. The problem is maybe that Southwell doesn't bring the other parts of the game like LJL for instance, therefore it's down to the manager and what he wants from a striker. Boston obviously have a more attacking approach, judging by the amount of goals they score in games, especially at home.

I understand the reasons why he was let go but i think there was a case for persevering for another season. There were games at home this year that we failed to score in and Southwell may have just been the right player to come on and nick a goal as he is clearly turning into a poacher of goals.

Who'd be a manager?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 101
pontoonlew
April 24, 2015, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Tintowner, don't try address such sense into the strikers debate! The majority of the Fishy fail to see that not playing a game makes it difficult to score in it. Which is why Cook, Hannah & Southwell have all had stick in previous seasons. Quite how you can expect a striker to perform when he's not playing is beyond me but the well informed critics on this board seem well placed to make that call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 101
biggles9999
April 24, 2015, 12:12pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from pontoonlew
Tintowner, don't try address such sense into the strikers debate! The majority of the Fishy fail to see that not playing a game makes it difficult to score in it. Which is why Cook, Hannah & Southwell have all had stick in previous seasons. Quite how you can expect a striker to perform when he's not playing is beyond me but the well informed critics on this board seem well placed to make that call.

I think everybody accepts that you have to be on the pitch to score goals. But what we also have to accept is that we have a coaching staff who see the players all week and in the main are likely to have a better understanding of the game and what they want the players to do. It isnt enough at our level and in our current playing style to have a player that simply hangs around waiting for his chance to come in a game - because our style isnt set for this free flowing play. Hurst/Doig have got this team generally playing a fairly attritional style of play which means that strikers have to get involved in the rest of the game.

Hannah certainly doesnt do enough in open play and even when he has played ive never really seen him look like scoring any sort of chance. Cook in his second season especially always looked overweight and knackered after 10 minutes - the one time I saw him play well was Huddersfield at home. Other than that he was pretty poor imo. Southwell may well have been the best of the 3 to me, but I still thought he was a little light and raw. As others have commented if Hannah's contract was up last summer we might have given Southwell another year.

At the end of the day Hurst isnt getting rid of players for any reason other than doing what he feels is right to get us promotion. Hes not telling any player to leave because he doesnt like them, he moves them on because he doesnt think theyre good enough for our aim of getting promoted.

The big thing that is noticeable on this board is how much better a player looks when theyre not in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 101
Maringer
April 24, 2015, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from biggles9999

The big thing that is noticeable on this board is how much better a player looks when theyre not in the team.

In general, yes, but some players even become world-beaters when they've left the club!  

There is the odd exception such as Disley who, earlier this season, was considered by some as past it and only useful as a sub to be played in the Trophy or when injuries struck. 9 goals and another good season later, this clearly isn't the case.

I'd have been happy enough if Southwell had stayed but does anybody seriously think he would have been more than a bit-part player if he had? With the injury problems we had at the start of the season, he perhaps might have taken his chance, but I'm not so sure as all of our attackers were out at points and we did go through a spell when few chances were created.

Southwell had some decent qualities but I do seem to remember he missed or failed to make the best of chances on the occasions when he did get into the team. Never seemed quite forceful enough for me when the opportunities came his way though when you consider his goalscoring record you do have to remember that he sometimes played a wider role as well. As I noted before, I think we'd probably have kept him on for another year if Hannah hadn't been on the books.

The other thing to consider was that Hurst seemed very confident of signing new strikers during the close season - the fact that he never managed to obviously wasn't part of his plan but it did seem that a heck of a lot of players turned us down.

Ultimately, I think the move away for Southwell could be the making of him even if it costs us in the longer-term.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 101
FishOutOfWater
April 24, 2015, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Meza
Talking about the youngsters what happened to Jonny Rowan and Darren Mansaram?

I think this sums up things quite well...

[YOUTUBE]nxHcx7FO8nI[/YOUTUBE]

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 85 - 101
Meza
April 24, 2015, 12:59pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I think this sums up things quite well...

[YOUTUBE]nxHcx7FO8nI[/YOUTUBE]

Quality tune along with Ghost Town lol

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 101
Maringer
April 24, 2015, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think that Rowan and Mansaram were really good enough as their careers after they left us showed.

Can't have been easy for either of them as they were initially lauded as prospects when pretty young but ultimately good players usually succeed and I don't think either of them quite had what it takes.

Daryl Clare strikes me as a decent player but one who wasn't perhaps quite good enough to succeed in League football. He had an excellent record at Conference level, however, and I think he did well to maximise what he could do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 101
Abdul19
April 24, 2015, 2:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
It's a shame Clare wasn't 10 years younger!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 101
diehardmariner
April 24, 2015, 2:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Mansaram was definitely a victim of too much too young.  Asking an 18-year-old to play as a lone striker in a struggling Championship side was ridiculous but reflective of the situation at the club at the time.  

Rowan - probably never good enough.  He had a decent career at Boston as an attacking midfielder, I think was Conference North which was probably about his level.

Clare - I think he had something, more so than any of the other two.  Problem is he probably lacked the right attitude.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dayle Southwell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.