TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 20, 2015, 7:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Completely disagree with that logic. It seems common sense to me that if thousands of people are cheering for you to do well then it could improve your performance. A team's performance level can be raised but they still lose the game - there's no contradiction there.

I accept you can 50% disagree with my logic!

Possibly performance may be enhanced but that does not alter the fact that one set of supporters has failed to influence the outcome does it?

My point was though that making critical or uncritical comments is everyone's freedom. It isn't right for one person or persons to deny other people a different point of view whatever the circumstances. I understand why StPauli posted his exhortation but it is wrong to call on people to stop saying things that he thinks might upset the applecart.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
ackomariner
April 20, 2015, 7:27pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I've always said what I feel....please or offend

If I don't agree with things about the team/ manager I'm going to have my say.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
MeanwoodMariner
April 20, 2015, 7:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

My point was though that making critical or uncritical comments is everyone's freedom. It isn't right for one person or persons to deny other people a different point of view whatever the circumstances. I understand why StPauli posted his exhortation but it is wrong to call on people to stop saying things that he thinks might upset the applecart.

Aren't we getting in to to head spinning contradictions here if you're saying StPauli shouldn't be saying what he's saying - he should just let people say whatever they want?  

I'm actually in agreement with you in that it is acceptable to criticise. I've said that positive support can benefit the team - the unavoidable consequence of that is that criticism of the team could potentially be detrimental. This is where some of the "fans being blamed" controversy has come from. However, it's all relative. If there was no possibility of criticism, then the positive support would become meaningless. The mere threat of criticism could well help motivate players.

Where I think the problem lies is unfair criticism, but that's a very subjective concept.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 20, 2015, 8:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Aren't we getting in to to head spinning contradictions here if you're saying StPauli shouldn't be saying what he's saying - he should just let people say whatever they want?  

I'm actually in agreement with you in that it is acceptable to criticise. I've said that positive support can benefit the team - the unavoidable consequence of that is that criticism of the team could potentially be detrimental. This is where some of the "fans being blamed" controversy has come from. However, it's all relative. If there was no possibility of criticism, then the positive support would become meaningless. The mere threat of criticism could well help motivate players.

Where I think the problem lies is unfair criticism, but that's a very subjective concept.

Of course we are.

It's just fun and games really.

Your last three sentences are very pertinent though. Agee with that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
St. Pauli
April 20, 2015, 9:16pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Sorry, I never meant to disallow anybodys opinion. My intention was to ask if the timing of some opinions on here is chosen wisely.

Nothing's won and nothing's lost yet, but the chance to achieve the desperately wanted is on the table.

I don't know about any big achievement ever, which was reached by constant negativity. That's all I'm saying.

See you guys in Wembley !

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That's cost us promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.