5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
April 19, 2015, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

Doom and gloom would be negativity about everything, everybody and at every time for no good reason. That's not what you see on the Fishy. Or very rarely at least. You see criticism of team selection, substitutions, tactics, attitudes ....... some of it right and some of it wrong depending on how you feel.

But at the root of this is history. For so many years supporters have been disappointed. It's as simple as that and it goes back to well before relegation. Bad decisions in the boardroom, bad decisions in the dressing room and bad performances on the pitch mean that people find it hard to be as optimistic as they used to be in their younger days and perhaps younger supporters are today. That sort of experience cannot be instantly erased by a few good results, a play off place and some exhortations to get behind the team.

So maybe not gloom and doom, more like cynicism over the hype and a genuine desire for the proof of the pudding.

Couldn't agree more.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
arryarryarry
April 19, 2015, 11:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Nah...... never saw the site just live 18 miles away from Luton and work in North London/Beds/Bucks so have had to put up with it last year and also this year with Barnet and their average 1800 gate.  

It's very easy for fans to be 100% behind their team when they are walking away with the league title, unfortunately we are not and for the 5 seasons we have been down here we haven't looked like it.

I would also add that only a few weeks ago many on the Barnet site were questioning Martin Allen and whether he would get them promoted.

As I have said countless times GTFC fans are no different from other clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
arryarryarry
April 19, 2015, 11:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/2914/dc-after-game?page=2

Even Bristol Rovers fans are arguing with themselves and some questioning whether the manager should stay if they don't get promoted.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
St. Pauli
April 20, 2015, 9:38am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Civvy at last

You have NEVER heard me compare Hurst with other managers. Yes, it is now when it counts. In financial terms we need at least a Wembley appearance. In footballing terms we need to go up. Otherwise the winning run etc count for nothing. Because next season we are in the same league as the teams that finished 20/30 points below us.  Hurst has had time now to do things his way with his squad.  HE is the one that put together what I think is the best squad since we dropped out the league. Credit due for that. But that is only one part of the job. If he can't then take us up with that squad then it isn't job done. You sound like you are happy to stay in this tinpot league as long as we get most club points etc etc. well not for me, I want GTFC back in the league. Where they belong.

So why don't you (and other Hurst criticisers) wait with the moaning until the very last ball is kicked. Maybe your wish of 'GTFC back in the league' comes true ??? As I see it, there is still a realy, realy good chance to achieve it !
The season and the teams mission is not finished yet

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 20, 2015, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from St. Pauli

So why don't you (and other Hurst criticisers) wait with the moaning until the very last ball is kicked]. Maybe your wish of 'GTFC back in the league' comes true ??? As I see it, there is still a realy, realy good chance to achieve it !
The season and the teams mission is not finished yet

UTM

So no-one is allowed to say anything about selections or tactics or anything said or done by the club management unless it is to praise..  Do you really mean that?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
RichMariner
April 20, 2015, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Quoted from arryarryarry
http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/2914/dc-after-game?page=2

Even Bristol Rovers fans are arguing with themselves and some questioning whether the manager should stay if they don't get promoted.

I'm surprised they're having that discussion.

As we know all too well, you have to be seriously bad to lose your place in the Football League. There must be deep-rooted problems that aren't easy to turn around overnight.

Carlisle were the last team to bounce straight back up, and that happened 10 years ago.

Although they're not promoted yet, Clarke has turned it round quite impressively. I'm not sure how many matches they must have lost to get relegated last season, but it must have been plenty. He would've had a squad of players bereft of confidence and morale, and angry fans.

They've only lost 5 games this season. They've drawn a few, granted, but to only lose 5 of 45 is pretty astonishing given their situation in the summer.

We know that clubs don't bounce straight back because of the problems that stretch beyond simply having poor players. What Clarke has done to date is remarkable really.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
St. Pauli
April 20, 2015, 3:50pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 1

So no-one is allowed to say anything about selections or tactics or anything said or done by the club management unless it is to praise..  Do you really mean that?

No, but this is a very decisive period of the season. We are on the home stretch and we all want to bring it home. There will be no more changes in the responsible key persons, so any criticising doesn't change anything anyway. Just play your supportive part and wait for the outcome and only then moan or praise what ever you feel like.

Since then I believe the only duty for a fan is to get behind the team (Hurst is an important part of it) and support, support, support !!!!!

It is right there ! Let's go for it and take it !!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 20, 2015, 5:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from St. Pauli

No, but this is a very decisive period of the season. We are on the home stretch and we all want to bring it home. There will be no more changes in the responsible key persons, so any criticising doesn't change anything anyway. Just play your supportive part and wait for the outcome and only then moan or praise what ever you feel like.

Since then I believe the only duty for a fan is to get behind the team (Hurst is an important part of it) and support, support, support !!!!!

It is right there ! Let's go for it and take it !!!

I understand your point as long as you are really saying "OK folks, let's just enjoy the moment" and you want to make people feel upbeat.

But by your own logic, if criticising doesn't change anything anyway then neither does being supportive!

Common sense says that if we get to Wembley both sets of supporters will be doing their very best to cheer on their team and be supportive, but only one will win. So for half the crowd, being supportive will have failed won't it? The cheering on is for our benefit, to be part of what we hope will be a great occasion. It has no bearing whatsoever on the result or the performance. The result and the performance has a lot of bearing on how supportive we are though.

In fact if you are not careful, the only thing you are doing is censorship, denying people the freedom of  speech to disagree with you.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
MeanwoodMariner
April 20, 2015, 6:35pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

Common sense says that if we get to Wembley both sets of supporters will be doing their very best to cheer on their team and be supportive, but only one will win. So for half the crowd, being supportive will have failed won't it? The cheering on is for our benefit, to be part of what we hope will be a great occasion. It has no bearing whatsoever on the result or the performance.

Completely disagree with that logic. It seems common sense to me that if thousands of people are cheering for you to do well then it could improve your performance. A team's performance level can be raised but they still lose the game - there's no contradiction there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
grimsby pete
April 20, 2015, 6:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I think it will be the Rovers fans saying," that's cost us promotion,"

After losing the play off final to us.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › That's cost us promotion

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.