7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 21, 2015, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
That was incredible. The best away game ive ever been to because of the amazing atmosphere. dis's goal at the end was just beautiful. I am so proud of our fans and players today, well done to everyone, Pitmann made a massive difference when he came on, im taking dino to every game, fantastic from all of us!! Come on town!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
February 21, 2015, 5:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Sounded great on commentary too, safe journey home mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 63
jonnyboy82
February 21, 2015, 5:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Hagrid
That was incredible. The best away game ive ever been to because of the amazing atmosphere. dis's goal at the end was just beautiful. I am so proud of our fans and players today, well done to everyone, Pitmann made a massive difference when he came on, im taking dino to every game, fantastic from all of us!! Come on town!!!!

safe trip back mariners.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 63
cmackenzie4
February 21, 2015, 5:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Also when you think about it 969 Town fans is incredible, we are in the conference and take that amount to an away game. Fantastic!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 63
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 21, 2015, 5:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
I'd like to see the scenes if we get forest green in the playoffs, think the away stand will be in danger of floating away lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 63
RichMariner
February 21, 2015, 5:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
No more than the fans deserved.

That was top quality support, and I'm in no doubt that it got a bit extra out of the players today.

I'm sure they loved the celebrations at the end too.

Just goes to show what sort of effect quality support can have on a team.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 63
mariner paul
February 21, 2015, 5:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
Well done to the mariners fans today it sounded fantastic on the commentary
Can't wait to see the pictures of all them inflatables on the pitch when Disley scored
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 63
ginnywings
February 21, 2015, 5:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Hagrid

Chuffed for you Hagrid. You young 'uns have had precious little to cheer about in the last few seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 63
punk mariner
February 21, 2015, 6:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +38
what a match. incredible atmosphere, best away support I've seen for a long time from us. still buzzing!

great first half: forced them into mistakes, pressed high, mackreth and arnold were having some luck down the wings and jolley was making some great runs on the break. Arnold should have had one and we nearly forced them into an own goal. our goal came from great closing down from Magnay and fantastically chased down by Jack. well deserved.

we started the second half far too slow and deep. it seemed we came out to keep them quiet for the first 10-15 mins and it didn't work. we sat back and the gap between midfield and attack was too great which meant they won all the loose balls. the goal was coming and wasn't closed down. after that we turned up again. JPP's strength helped and we were certainly getting some luck on the break. LJL was unlucky with a header from a cross that was just behind him and Arnold decided to shoot (and miss wildly) when he should have crossed.

Dizza's goal came from a short freekick which most of us moaned about but a great finish. incredible scenes when the 3rd went in. a bit flattering, a bit lucky but it shows if we play on the front foot, close down quickly and attack we can beat anyone. well done Town. well done to the players. they worked their socks off.

here's a great video of the fans my dad got https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaHc7WOivgE

UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 63
MeanwoodMariner
February 21, 2015, 6:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Some great inflatables! Would love to have been there. Can't wait to see the goal celebrations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 63
grimsby pete
February 21, 2015, 7:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Just back home in Suffolk,

That was the best away game I have been to for a long time,

We outplayed the top team for the whole game apart from a 10-15 mins after Half Time,

We passed  the ball really well and looked the only side that was going to win,

Our fans were fantastic I saw a Dino, a blow up doll, a few flamingo's and Harry Haddocks, 2 dicks, a hammer, zimmer frame, plenty of balls,

Plus I had a little maid and a cricket bat,

My granddaughter Miss Mariner will put some pics on later,

Barnet will not win the league so we could be back there in the play offs,

One final word, Jolley took his goal well and had a good game plus Mackreth had a really good game,

All the players did well but I thought I would mention them two as they have been getting some stick on here.

Up The Mariner's !!!!!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 63
Teesknees
February 21, 2015, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 63
cmackenzie4
February 21, 2015, 7:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Glad you got back safe and enjoyed yourself Pete.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 63
Caesar
February 21, 2015, 7:41pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
I feel there needs to be 2 threads for todays game, one to discuss the atmosphere and the fans, the other about the game.

I am too high from the amazing atmosphere and result to properly discuss performance to be honest, will try that later.  Thought it was going to be a great atmosphere when I saw Hagrid's Dino in a Town shirt.  As more and more inflatables poured in could see there was loads of us up for it.  Sure enough everyone was really up for it, goal helped really boost the atmosphere but even when Barnet got one back and looked the better side for a bit we were still singing loud and proud.  The late winners just made it though, feel it was what the fans deserved who were fantastic all the way through, about as proud as I have been to be a Town fan.  One of those games where you do really feel that the fans dragged the team on to be better which was great!  

Final word on crowd and Stewarding.  Thought Barnet stewards were excellent, a real example to those unmentionables at Forest Green.  Really polite with me as I entered the ground with my inflatable, enjoyed the spirit of the inflatables and late on when Town fans were ecstatic and understandably pressing forward, they were firm and handled the crowd well but from what I saw no rough handling at all.  They were a very important part of how the atmosphere would go today and they really helped to ensure it was a positive atmosphere.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 63
grimsby pete
February 21, 2015, 7:41pm

Exile
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Glad you got back safe and enjoyed yourself Pete.

Thanks Chris, just open a bottle of red to celebrate.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 63
mariner91
February 21, 2015, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Top stuff from our fans. My God if we get to the play offs and get Forest Green it is going to be some day!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 63
Belfast Town
February 21, 2015, 8:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Loved every minute of it today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 63
KingstonMariner
February 21, 2015, 8:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Got to echo what Caesar said about the stewards. I thought they handled it very sensibly, not diving in to the scrum behind the goal when others would have. I was a bit lairy when they were frisking us on the way in ("who are you expecting today, Al Qaeda") and his colleague just calmly explained they'd had a bit of bother with flares earlier in the season and weren't taking any more chances. Fair play.

Great atmosphere throughout the game.

Magnay was imperious. Makreth did fantastically well to race to get to the ball before it went off for a goal kick - I though the defender who was easily bigger than him would stop Jack getting the ball. 1-0. Dom Jolley looked lively first half but petered out second, as did the Shop. We sat back a bit too much after half time and their player should never have been given the chance to shoot. Arnold was action-packed and JPP when he came on was the spark we needed. Pearson and Toto were rarely troubled and I was impressed by Robertson. When we took the game to them after the dodgy spell (to be honest I thought "oh here we go" after they equalised) there was only one winner. We kept going when it counted.

I only counted 3 shots on target for them and a couple off. 3 did not flatter us and with a better ref we could have had more - their CB was all over Shop, holding him like he was a Sean Pearson tribute act.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 63
RoboCod
February 21, 2015, 8:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from mariner91
Top stuff from our fans. My God if we get to the play offs and get Forest Green it is going to be some day!

Would FGR fans take inflatable trees or inflatable veggie burgers?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 63
forza ivano
February 21, 2015, 8:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Excellent summary from punk mariner. Just to add mckeown should've done better with the shot. Pearson  Arnold magnat and the shop were outstanding.jolley started well and was an excellent substitution from hurst as he was fading.fast.pittman made a huge difference.not at all sure about Robertson. Mackreth was also a top performer.best game I've seen him play.had the left back tied up in knots glad we've done brizzell a big favour and hope n think they'll overhaul a very underwhelming barnet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 63
BIGChris
February 21, 2015, 8:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Fantastic result, atmosphere and a very good performance. Deserved the win.

Barnet? Thought Gash & Mcdonald did ok, Pearson was beaten more often in the air than normal but they also had some players who were useless. If that left back played in Sunday League he would be out of his depth!

First half we had far too much movement and pace for them. Mackreth, Jolley and Arnold all looking good whilst the shop had to take on the two biggest centre backs in pro football.

Great work by Jack for the first goal and I thought that McKeown should have done better with their well struck equaliser having got both hand to it. After that he made two excellent saves.

As already said I too was dissapointed that we played a short free kick with minutes to go but alls well that ends well! Dizza loves a celebration!

To get a 3rd was just icing on the cake.

Thought Robertson, as he has done in all his 3 away performances, was very steady, not particularly eye catching but a solid reliable defender.
Toto was Toto. Loved the look on his face when he joined in the celebrations.

Agree about the stewards. I took the time to thank the head steward for the conduct of his staff ( under some provocation at times). He went about his job with a smile on his face. Well done

Loved the day and as one regular away fan commented on the way out. 'Its days like these that make it all worthwhile".
Amen to that
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 63
GrimRob
February 21, 2015, 8:58pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
It's games like these that remind us why we go at all.The hairs on the back of my neck stood up just walking into the ground.

[img]http://thefishy.co.uk/crap/inflatables.jpg[/img]

[img]http://thefishy.co.uk/crap/inflatables2.jpg[/img]

Every fan who was lucky enough to be there will remember it for along time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 63
GrimRob
February 21, 2015, 9:03pm

[img]http://thefishy.co.uk/crap/Celebs.jpg[/img]

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 22 - 63
EY Mariner
February 21, 2015, 9:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from BIGChris

Agree about the stewards. I took the time to thank the head steward for the conduct of his staff ( under some provocation at times). He went about his job with a smile on his face. Well done

Just written an email to Barnet to offer my thanks to those stewards aswell, who I thought were absolutely first class. I'm not sure we would have benefited from that sort of stewarding at many grounds with such a large and varied away following.

As for the game, fantastic result. MUST WIN TUESDAY!!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 63
SamTheMariner
February 21, 2015, 9:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Brilliant and hilarious day out. MOM Diz for me. Didn't misplace a pass, broke down play well, and does what he does best, SCORE!!!!

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 63
jaymariner
February 21, 2015, 9:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +406
Video of the fans has been shared by the conference official facebook page and the dinosaur, Zimmer frame and big c ock can clearly be seen   . Really wish I was there today and all those that did go are a credit to this club.

Are the inflatables going to be a regular thing for the rest of the season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 63
RichMariner
February 21, 2015, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I don't want to overplay it or anything but I think the inflatables made all the difference.

What happened at Forest Green was unfortunate, but it united the fans and the result was the atmosphere and backing from them today at Barnet.

It galvanised the team too and we got a great result.

The fans turned out in their droves and were singing from the start - you don't typically get that backing from fans when their team has just lost their last two matches.

I really hope that atmosphere can be recreated in all our remaining away games.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 63
Mariner Timsky
February 21, 2015, 10:32pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Agree with all the comments so far, , but above all today was about us the Fans , , and boy did we do Town proud, , and I really feel we dragged us over the line and earnt the 3 goals and precious 3 points, , proud as ever to be a Mariner and today was a day to never forget and was full of laughs and made it all seem worth it, , we've been through hell but today we showed them all that we are Town and we are loud n proud and we love our club through all the thick and thin. UTMM

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 63
GrimRob
February 21, 2015, 10:43pm

Quoted from RichMariner
I don't want to overplay it or anything but I think the inflatables made all the difference.

What happened at Forest Green was unfortunate, but it united the fans and the result was the atmosphere and backing from them today at Barnet.

It galvanised the team too and we got a great result.

The fans turned out in their droves and were singing from the start - you don't typically get that backing from fans when their team has just lost their last two matches.

I really hope that atmosphere can be recreated in all our remaining away games.

Talk about the Butterfly Effect

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 63
Rodley Mariner
February 21, 2015, 10:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Those not there, who were slagging off Arnold on the match thread, should probably take note of the fact that people who were actually at the game say he was excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 63
barralad
February 21, 2015, 11:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Well that was up there amongst the very best Town away days in 40 + years of travelling with Town...The atmosphere was fantastic and the team responded. Favourite inflatable has to be the zimmer with an oscar for the person using it to stagger across the bottom of the stand-hilarious!

Game wise we played a high up the pitch pressing game for much of the first half and they just couldn't deal with us. Arnold could have had a couple quite early on and we actually got some decent balls into areas where it mattered. As others have said McKreth did brilliantly for the first goal. The back four came through with flying colours. It will take a superhuman effort to keep Magnay on that and most recent performances. Thought Clay was a bit unlucky to get booked and it seemed to affect the way he played for a while. To be fair to them they missed Togwell badly when he had to go off. We thought Macca should have done better with their goal but then he redeems himself with a fantastic finger tip save to a shot which looked for all the world a goal as it left their lads boot.
Hurst has had a lot of stick for his (lack of) meaningful substitutions but it is fair to say he got it absolutely spot on with Pitman. Their tiring back four had no answer to his power and pace with not a little skill thrown in. People go on about what we've missed with Neilson being out of favour but for me the biggest loss by far has been Pitman. Some of his play today belonged to a far higher level than we have the right to see.  When Arnold failed to hit the target from probably the best move of the season I began to wonder whether it was going to be our day but then cometh the Diz. Pure pandemonium and then the icing on the cake.
The other results didn't go for us today which makes a win on Tuesday absolutely vital-surely the players must want more of what they had today?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
forza ivano
February 21, 2015, 11:51pm

Exile
Quoted from barralad
Well that was up there amongst the very best Town away days in 40 + years of travelling with Town...The atmosphere was fantastic and the team responded. Favourite inflatable has to be the zimmer with an oscar for the person using it to stagger across the bottom of the stand-hilarious!

Game wise we played a high up the pitch pressing game for much of the first half and they just couldn't deal with us. Arnold could have had a couple quite early on and we actually got some decent balls into areas where it mattered. As others have said McKreth did brilliantly for the first goal. The back four came through with flying colours. It will take a superhuman effort to keep Magnay on that and most recent performances. Thought Clay was a bit unlucky to get booked and it seemed to affect the way he played for a while. To be fair to them they missed Togwell badly when he had to go off. We thought Macca should have done better with their goal but then he redeems himself with a fantastic finger tip save to a shot which looked for all the world a goal as it left their lads boot.
Hurst has had a lot of stick for his (lack of) meaningful substitutions but it is fair to say he got it absolutely spot on with Pitman. Their tiring back four had no answer to his power and pace with not a little skill thrown in. People go on about what we've missed with Neilson being out of favour but for me the biggest loss by far has been Pitman. Some of his play today belonged to a far higher level than we have the right to see.  When Arnold failed to hit the target from probably the best move of the season I began to wonder whether it was going to be our day but then cometh the Diz. Pure pandemonium and then the icing on the cake.
The other results didn't go for us today which makes a win on Tuesday absolutely vital-surely the players must want more of what they had today?

This and punks summaries are spot on. Ps what this about criticism of Arnold? He was excellent, apart from the miss of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
AdamHaddock
February 22, 2015, 12:04am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Bloody hell it's all happening in there. Bananas, penguins, Sammy the snake

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
barralad
February 22, 2015, 12:24am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from forza ivano

This and punks summaries are spot on. Ps what this about criticism of Arnold? He was excellent, apart from the miss of course!

Ooops...just realised the only two mentions he got were negative. Some of his passing was brilliant today and he has very quick feet and some pace.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
gary_elton
February 22, 2015, 12:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Awesome day... one of my best away days... and to think I wasn't gonna go as I have been off work for two months...
then the girlfriend said " come on, my treat... lets get the train down have a few drinks and enjoy it "... she paid !!!
I let her of course being a great believer in equality....

Thank you my lovely lady... bloody fantastic...   good game , fantastic atmosphere  !!! Still buzzing at half past midnight

Also a comment on the stewarding... got searched on the way in... not a problem... inside the stewards near to
us were courteous, chatting and smiling, even joining in the clapping.. well done Barnet stewards !!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
HackneyHaddock
February 22, 2015, 12:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
A great day out and superb support from the fans, which I truly believe gave the players a boost- how could it not?  It was also great to have the players celebrate with the fans and things like that help strengthen that bond and sense of shared endeavour.  The Barnet Stewards handled things very sensibly and used some good humour to keep things good-natured.  I heard a few town fans commending their staff on the way out and I hope if Getyourfactsright or any directors still lurk here he can pass on the club's appreciation to Barnet as BigChris did.

Another thing; I was chatting with a few town fans on the tube after the game and we mentioned the Fishy just as I was getting off at Green Park, but I didn't get your names, so if you're reading this, it was nice to meet you and will hopefully see you at Woking!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
SWMariner
February 22, 2015, 1:29am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +36
I was unable to make it today had work commitments but wanna say a big well done to both the team and the fans for doing the double over the leaders just shows that we can do it and with a bit of consistency there is no reason we should be left to languish in this league and to take near a thousand fans just shows how big a club we are at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
arryarryarry
February 22, 2015, 5:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
At times especially the first half, probably Towns best performance of the season. Should really have had the game won by half time. Mackreth who I have been critical of this season had his best game for Town as did Jolley.

Other than the goal they were poor in the first half. They obviously got a kick in the proverbials from Martin Allen and looked much stronger in the second half.

I will have to wait for the highlights but I thought their goal came from a Toto mistake. Arnold should have done better with two great chances, and LJL was easily covered by their centre backs other than that a great performance by all round including the fans. Although I thought it was a bit dopy to throw inflatables on the pitch when we were defending a corner.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
gobby
February 22, 2015, 7:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
A great day out and superb support from the fans, which I truly believe gave the players a boost- how could it not?  It was also great to have the players celebrate with the fans and things like that help strengthen that bond and sense of shared endeavour.  The Barnet Stewards handled things very sensibly and used some good humour to keep things good-natured.  I heard a few town fans commending their staff on the way out and I hope if Getyourfactsright or any directors still lurk here he can pass on the club's appreciation to Barnet as BigChris did.

Another thing; I was chatting with a few town fans on the tube after the game and we mentioned the Fishy just as I was getting off at Green Park, but I didn't get your names, so if you're reading this, it was nice to meet you and will hopefully see you at Woking!

And the same to you young man, Short but brief chat and I hope China Town was worth it. Great game, Superb atmosphere, could not believe Barnet had a fire drill in the 93rd minute! Jack Mac MOM for me.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
lobsterpot
February 22, 2015, 8:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
That, was probably the best game i have been to in all my GTFC years bar Anfield. Honestly was so proud watching all the fans bouncing and Scotty Brown looking at us all thinking that we were all crazy was pure goosebump stuff UTM <><

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
Rodley Mariner
February 22, 2015, 8:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from forza ivano

Read the match thread and Arnold and Clay were this week's scapegoats!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
forza ivano
February 22, 2015, 9:17am

Exile
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Just shows the weakness of people basing opinions upon what they've heard in commentary. If we are looking for negatives Robertson wasn't very good whilst toto and mckeown were at fault for the goal.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned was pittmans superb reverse pass to Arnold (?) .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
barralad
February 22, 2015, 9:27am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I think the problem for people listening on the radio is that not everything that happens can possibly be reported. A player gets a couple of mentions for mistakes and immediately people are pushing forward their preferred option for that position. In it's own way the match thread puts into writing what a lot of us who are at games are thinking. The reaction from those around me when Arnold missed was "We will live to regret that" I feared the worst after their equaliser but nothing I've witnessed since Liverpool in 2001 comes close to that last five minutes or so...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
Garth
February 22, 2015, 10:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from EY Mariner

Just written an email to Barnet to offer my thanks to those stewards aswell, who I thought were absolutely first class. I'm not sure we would have benefited from that sort of stewarding at many grounds with such a large and varied away following.

As for the game, fantastic result. MUST WIN TUESDAY!!!!!

Agree shame about the two arrests though in a what was always going to be a carnival day affair, going on the pitch I believe.

The whole scene looked fantastic from the corner of the West Stand and play was held up twice briefly to clear up animals, hammers and rude women from the penalty area
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
nickmariners
February 22, 2015, 10:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
What a great day - brilliant performance from the team and the travelling fans - yeah, and even from the cheery & helpful stewards.  Lots of mates present.  At the moment it's hard to remember a more enjoyable recent match, and I'm still a bit giddy about it all this morning, and dying to see the last 2 goals online, as our view was totally obliterated by plastic ladies, penguins and bananas -- but we sort of sensed the goals - it just felt like we were going to score from the players' momentum and from the fans' fantastic urging.

Town's tactics were spot on - PH has Barnet properly figured out, as we saw at BP too.  Our first half pressing, win-every-second-ball, up-tempo "home team-style" approach really unsettled Barnet.  Some on here have said Barnet were a bit 'poor' -- I think that was entirely the result of our tactics and execution: they were only as good as we allowed them to be, and naturally Barnet came out of the blocks better in 2nd half.

Loved the players' happiness at the end too - Magnay and Diz in particular came over to the fans so pumped up.  This is exactly the attitude that we like to see.

Shame that one steward asked us to deflate barralad -- he was so puffed up, we thought he might explode  

Rounded off in China Town and at a great gig at 100 Club, then staggered home to Rotherhithe in the wee small hours.  Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
BIGChris
February 22, 2015, 12:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Quoted from nickmariners
What a great day

Loved the players' happiness at the end too - Magnay and Diz in particular came over to the fans so pumped up.  This is exactly the attitude that we like to see.

Shame that one steward asked us to deflate barralad -- he was so puffed up, we thought he might explode  

Rounded off in China Town and at a great gig at 100 Club, then staggered home to Rotherhithe in the wee small hours.  Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.  UTM

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
gary_elton
February 22, 2015, 12:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Thought Magnay was havin an orgasm after the final whistle... so pumped up when he approached
the fans at the end.....  great to see ALL the players enjoying the carnival atmosphere provided by us fans..

It's sunday afternoon  ,  and I'm STILL runnin on adrenalin myself... crazy brilliant day.....  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
Miss Mariner
February 22, 2015, 12:48pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just back home in Suffolk,

That was the best away game I have been to for a long time,

We outplayed the top team for the whole game apart from a 10-15 mins after Half Time,

We passed  the ball really well and looked the only side that was going to win,

Our fans were fantastic I saw a Dino, a blow up doll, a few flamingo's and Harry Haddocks, 2 dicks, a hammer, zimmer frame, plenty of balls,

Plus I had a little maid and a cricket bat,

My granddaughter Miss Mariner will put some pics on later,

Barnet will not win the league so we could be back there in the play offs,

One final word, Jolley took his goal well and had a good game plus Mackreth had a really good game,

All the players did well but I thought I would mention them two as they have been getting some stick on here.

Up The Mariner's !!!!!!!!!!!

[URL=http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0039_zpsqvqpptdv.mp4][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/th_VIDEO0039_zpsqvqpptdv.mp4[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/chilly85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0884_zps1d0efb96.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0884_zps1d0efb96.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/chilly85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0893_zps5a316451.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0893_zps5a316451.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Fingers crossed!xx

Born to follow the Grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
cmackenzie4
February 22, 2015, 1:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Great photos Miss Mariner.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
psgmariner
February 22, 2015, 1:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Who was this I wonder? Post from a barnet fan:

Respect to Grimsby, they had the drunkest fan I'd ever seen today. Saw him by the Canons Park entrance he had his trousers around his legs, blood stains on the ankles.

Couldn't stand up so a Grimsby (?) Steward was carrying him along the path. Looking back wanted to see what happened when he reached the police 100 metres along the path, but he'd decided to sleep it off in a huge puddle on the practice pitches with his steward mate watching on.

Fair play to the fella, utterly wankered by 2.30.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2015, 1:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Just back - via Chinatown, Jersey Boys and the Premier Inn at Elstree - great day (and night), great respect to all the fans and the players, if Carlsberg did great weekends!
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
grimps
February 22, 2015, 1:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from psgmariner

Respect to Grimsby, they had the drunkest fan I'd ever seen today. Saw him by the Canons Park entrance he had his trousers around his legs, blood stains on the ankles.

Couldn't stand up so a Grimsby (?) Steward was carrying him along the path. Looking back wanted to see what happened when he reached the police 100 metres along the path, but he'd decided to sleep it off in a huge puddle on the practice pitches with his steward mate watching on.

Sounds like he was just warming up for one of our lot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
waynegftc
February 22, 2015, 2:19pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +115
Gold Stars: 5
wot a fcukin wkend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

*tid wiv a fyu bearz wedz nt n baysikly went form their..... ad 2 av a powa nap bowt too furty yestaday but woz buzin agen by 3....

da marinaz bost da gaym....karnt pik a top boi coz evry1 woz top nana (dilibrit inflaytable pun lol)!!!!

endid up klubbin in soho b4 edin bk 2 gy dis morn

fkin away daze karnt beet em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

wayne

WAYNEGFTCS AVIN A PARTEE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
ginnywings
February 22, 2015, 2:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Wayne lives.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 22, 2015, 2:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Need by eight year old to translate but he appears to have enjoyed his weekend in the smoke!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
gary_elton
February 22, 2015, 2:25pm

Vodka Drinker
welkm bakk waine  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
rancido
February 22, 2015, 2:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Need by eight year old to translate but he appears to have enjoyed his weekend in the smoke!

I wonder what he was smoking in " The Smoke" ? Judging by the post it was some serious stuff !!!  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 2:52pm

Exile
Quoted from Miss Mariner

[URL=http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0039_zpsqvqpptdv.mp4][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/th_VIDEO0039_zpsqvqpptdv.mp4[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/chilly85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0884_zps1d0efb96.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0884_zps1d0efb96.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/chilly85/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0893_zps5a316451.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/chilly85/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0893_zps5a316451.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Fingers crossed!xx

Who is that old git with the pretty girl ?  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
Theimperialcoroner
February 22, 2015, 5:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Waynezz is bak elo elo.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
cmackenzie4
February 22, 2015, 5:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from grimsby pete

I reckon it's you Pete.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
KK_DOG
February 22, 2015, 6:38pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from grimsby pete

He's with two pretty girls  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 63
lobsterpot
February 22, 2015, 7:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from psgmariner

I heard it was a good friend of BPVicar?

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 63
grimsby pete
February 22, 2015, 7:34pm

Exile
Quoted from Miss Mariner

Fingers crossed!xx

Miss Mariner says if you click onto the top picture of the first post it is a video,

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 63
Les Brechin
February 22, 2015, 11:09pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Just home after a great weekend away. One if the most enjoyable away games for a long time. It's games like that which make all the travelling and expense worthwhile. A superb turnout by our fans (almost double what I though there'd be) espcially as we'd lost our last 2 games.

I thought we were superb in the first half and Jack Mackreth had his best 45 minutes in a Mariners shirt and did brilliantly for our first goal. Barnet offered very little in the first half but it was a different story in the 2nd half as they upped their game considerably and their equaliser had been coming for a few minutes before they scored. I actually though McKeown had saved it as he managed to get his hands to it but the shot was just too powerful.

As the game entered the last 10 minutes or so it was Barnet who looked the more likely to grab a winner and I thought our chance had gone when Nathan Arnold sliced his shot wide when he should have scored. The free-kick which led to our 2nd was met with audible groans around me as we wanted the ball played into the box but what looked like it was some sort of routine off the training ground worked out with Disley putting us in front to spark wild celebrations behind the goal and then Pittman but the gloss on it with the 3rd.

All in all a very enjoyable game/weekend and I've nothing but praise for Barnet as a club and their stewards. The only slight gripe was that they could do with a few more people serving in the away bar although I'm pretty sure they're not always used to getting a near 1000 away following.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 63
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.