7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 21, 2015, 11:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Well that was up there amongst the very best Town away days in 40 + years of travelling with Town...The atmosphere was fantastic and the team responded. Favourite inflatable has to be the zimmer with an oscar for the person using it to stagger across the bottom of the stand-hilarious!

Game wise we played a high up the pitch pressing game for much of the first half and they just couldn't deal with us. Arnold could have had a couple quite early on and we actually got some decent balls into areas where it mattered. As others have said McKreth did brilliantly for the first goal. The back four came through with flying colours. It will take a superhuman effort to keep Magnay on that and most recent performances. Thought Clay was a bit unlucky to get booked and it seemed to affect the way he played for a while. To be fair to them they missed Togwell badly when he had to go off. We thought Macca should have done better with their goal but then he redeems himself with a fantastic finger tip save to a shot which looked for all the world a goal as it left their lads boot.
Hurst has had a lot of stick for his (lack of) meaningful substitutions but it is fair to say he got it absolutely spot on with Pitman. Their tiring back four had no answer to his power and pace with not a little skill thrown in. People go on about what we've missed with Neilson being out of favour but for me the biggest loss by far has been Pitman. Some of his play today belonged to a far higher level than we have the right to see.  When Arnold failed to hit the target from probably the best move of the season I began to wonder whether it was going to be our day but then cometh the Diz. Pure pandemonium and then the icing on the cake.
The other results didn't go for us today which makes a win on Tuesday absolutely vital-surely the players must want more of what they had today?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
forza ivano
February 21, 2015, 11:51pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from barralad
Well that was up there amongst the very best Town away days in 40 + years of travelling with Town...The atmosphere was fantastic and the team responded. Favourite inflatable has to be the zimmer with an oscar for the person using it to stagger across the bottom of the stand-hilarious!

Game wise we played a high up the pitch pressing game for much of the first half and they just couldn't deal with us. Arnold could have had a couple quite early on and we actually got some decent balls into areas where it mattered. As others have said McKreth did brilliantly for the first goal. The back four came through with flying colours. It will take a superhuman effort to keep Magnay on that and most recent performances. Thought Clay was a bit unlucky to get booked and it seemed to affect the way he played for a while. To be fair to them they missed Togwell badly when he had to go off. We thought Macca should have done better with their goal but then he redeems himself with a fantastic finger tip save to a shot which looked for all the world a goal as it left their lads boot.
Hurst has had a lot of stick for his (lack of) meaningful substitutions but it is fair to say he got it absolutely spot on with Pitman. Their tiring back four had no answer to his power and pace with not a little skill thrown in. People go on about what we've missed with Neilson being out of favour but for me the biggest loss by far has been Pitman. Some of his play today belonged to a far higher level than we have the right to see.  When Arnold failed to hit the target from probably the best move of the season I began to wonder whether it was going to be our day but then cometh the Diz. Pure pandemonium and then the icing on the cake.
The other results didn't go for us today which makes a win on Tuesday absolutely vital-surely the players must want more of what they had today?

This and punks summaries are spot on. Ps what this about criticism of Arnold? He was excellent, apart from the miss of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
AdamHaddock
February 22, 2015, 12:04am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 26
Bloody hell it's all happening in there. Bananas, penguins, Sammy the snake

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
barralad
February 22, 2015, 12:24am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from forza ivano

This and punks summaries are spot on. Ps what this about criticism of Arnold? He was excellent, apart from the miss of course!

Ooops...just realised the only two mentions he got were negative. Some of his passing was brilliant today and he has very quick feet and some pace.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
gary_elton
February 22, 2015, 12:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Awesome day... one of my best away days... and to think I wasn't gonna go as I have been off work for two months...
then the girlfriend said " come on, my treat... lets get the train down have a few drinks and enjoy it "... she paid !!!
I let her of course being a great believer in equality....

Thank you my lovely lady... bloody fantastic...   good game , fantastic atmosphere  !!! Still buzzing at half past midnight

Also a comment on the stewarding... got searched on the way in... not a problem... inside the stewards near to
us were courteous, chatting and smiling, even joining in the clapping.. well done Barnet stewards !!!

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
HackneyHaddock
February 22, 2015, 12:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
A great day out and superb support from the fans, which I truly believe gave the players a boost- how could it not?  It was also great to have the players celebrate with the fans and things like that help strengthen that bond and sense of shared endeavour.  The Barnet Stewards handled things very sensibly and used some good humour to keep things good-natured.  I heard a few town fans commending their staff on the way out and I hope if Getyourfactsright or any directors still lurk here he can pass on the club's appreciation to Barnet as BigChris did.

Another thing; I was chatting with a few town fans on the tube after the game and we mentioned the Fishy just as I was getting off at Green Park, but I didn't get your names, so if you're reading this, it was nice to meet you and will hopefully see you at Woking!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
SWMariner
February 22, 2015, 1:29am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +36
I was unable to make it today had work commitments but wanna say a big well done to both the team and the fans for doing the double over the leaders just shows that we can do it and with a bit of consistency there is no reason we should be left to languish in this league and to take near a thousand fans just shows how big a club we are at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
arryarryarry
February 22, 2015, 5:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
At times especially the first half, probably Towns best performance of the season. Should really have had the game won by half time. Mackreth who I have been critical of this season had his best game for Town as did Jolley.

Other than the goal they were poor in the first half. They obviously got a kick in the proverbials from Martin Allen and looked much stronger in the second half.

I will have to wait for the highlights but I thought their goal came from a Toto mistake. Arnold should have done better with two great chances, and LJL was easily covered by their centre backs other than that a great performance by all round including the fans. Although I thought it was a bit dopy to throw inflatables on the pitch when we were defending a corner.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
gobby
February 22, 2015, 7:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
A great day out and superb support from the fans, which I truly believe gave the players a boost- how could it not?  It was also great to have the players celebrate with the fans and things like that help strengthen that bond and sense of shared endeavour.  The Barnet Stewards handled things very sensibly and used some good humour to keep things good-natured.  I heard a few town fans commending their staff on the way out and I hope if Getyourfactsright or any directors still lurk here he can pass on the club's appreciation to Barnet as BigChris did.

Another thing; I was chatting with a few town fans on the tube after the game and we mentioned the Fishy just as I was getting off at Green Park, but I didn't get your names, so if you're reading this, it was nice to meet you and will hopefully see you at Woking!

And the same to you young man, Short but brief chat and I hope China Town was worth it. Great game, Superb atmosphere, could not believe Barnet had a fire drill in the 93rd minute! Jack Mac MOM for me.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
lobsterpot
February 22, 2015, 8:24am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
That, was probably the best game i have been to in all my GTFC years bar Anfield. Honestly was so proud watching all the fans bouncing and Scotty Brown looking at us all thinking that we were all crazy was pure goosebump stuff UTM <><

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.