This thread currently has 18,981 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
February 9, 2015, 10:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Best all round. The club seem to have been patient with him but for whatever reason Scott has not been showing the right attitude. Thanks for some exciting moments Scott, just not enough of them. No team can carry luxuries.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 112
SamTheMariner
February 9, 2015, 10:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
I think the biggest low point of this is that those generous souls who put 50k in will have had most of it spent on paying off Thomas and Neilson's contracts. So far by all accounts Jolley has been rusty and Robertson looked suspect and right footed on Saturday. If Mackreth can keep doing what he did when he came on, beating his full back and putting a wonderful cross in and Arnold can stay in form then Lenny, Zlatan and Diz will score a hat full of goals and we may stand a chance.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 112
Fcukthescunts
February 9, 2015, 10:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Shame really a naturally talented player who could have gone so much higher if he had right work/fitness ethic. Good luck to him, on his day shone up this level of football but that day was often as a married man getting a BJ from his wife.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 112
barralad
February 9, 2015, 10:26pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm all ready for the negative votes on this one.

Last week how I posted how I thought the fact he was 'ill' was a cover up for something else. Cue people questioning how I could possibly criticise the club who were quite obviously not lying to fans for weeks now. That's now two of our best players gone within a week of each other and nobody has a bloody clue why.

Neilson was our most creative player, bar none. A player who had the ability to tear teams apart on a regular basis when utilised properly (as he was at the start of the season) he's obviously not got a brilliant work ethic but I've not seen some wild idiot who has no interest, if that was the case why would he have uprooted from his preferred location down south to come back up? What I have seen is a player who the manager is happy to publicly criticize despite him being no worse than anybody else on the pitch and despite the manager publicly blowing his top at fans when they criticised other players. I have also seen a player played in a position he's not at his total best in, the Scott Neilson in the first few games of the season you would've built a team around, absolutely no question. Ask yourselves why the club would make sure he couldn't sign for anybody else? If this decision was for footballing reasons then i'll be gobsmacked. Nathan Arnold, who has shown to not have an inch of Neilsons talent coupled with a similar attitude on the pitch is still at the club, what's the difference?

It's an absolutely massive decision from Hurst and I can't help but thinking this is a personal one, which is a dangerous game to play.

If I gave out negatives I wouldn't think about doing so for this post. Fair play to you about the ill cover up. It's looking more likely by the minute that it was just that...
However, you talk about Hurst publicly criticising Neilson but then none us of on here appear to have had a clue that this was going to happen so isn't it another example of Hurst keeping his cards very close to his chest? I suspect that for all we might not like being kept in the dark that is exactly how it should be done.
You ask what the difference is between Neilson and Arnold... I think you are being incredibly harsh on Arnold with regard to his level of talent in comparison. Since the Macc debacle I've been impressed with his contribution. Is it classed as "talent" to be able to deliver some decent dead balls? If so then that is just one department where Arnold, for me betters Neilson. The other difference is in the team ethic. Arnold is always looking to "play in" a team mate whereas Neilson seemed often only to pass as a last resort. Don't get me wrong Neilson has got me out of my seat-there have been few better sights in the last couple of years than Neilson taking on defences but this year something is missing...I guess only time will tell whether the decision made today is the right one but you will struggle to find proper evidence that it is for anything other than footballing reasons....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 112
barralad
February 9, 2015, 10:31pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from chaos33
Very mixed feelings on this because I think he's a great player on his day, but you probably need look no further than the fact that he's had his contract terminated at 3 clubs in 3 years now. Could be playing at a higher level if technical ability ws all that mattered, but it's not. Consitency, commitment and attitude count for a lot. He obviously really lets himself down off the pitch, so no doubt Town felt they had no option. Real shame, but it begs the question; how much does Nielson want to be a pro footballer?

a pertinent question that the lad himself doesn't seem to be able to answer...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 112
arryarryarry
February 9, 2015, 11:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Talented player but not consistent.  And did not generally play well against the so called smaller teams.  Frustrating for all parties.  We move on.  

You could say that of just about every other player we have except two or three, especially the wingers who really haven't been that great so far this season.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 112
Abdul19
February 9, 2015, 11:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,558
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from SamTheMariner
I think the biggest low point of this is that those generous souls who put 50k in will have had most of it spent on paying off Thomas and Neilson's contracts.

Was Thomas paid off?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 112
cleethorpes_mariner
February 9, 2015, 11:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
I doubt either was paid off as I think its been said they asked for their contracts to be terminated.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 112
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2015, 11:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
When I heard the news that Neilson had gone you could have knocked me down with...........an object with a high mass and moving with high velocity. It would be easy to speculate given what's gone on recently with Thomas, but I won't because one conspiracy theory would be as good as another.

Hopefully it's true that he can't sign for another club at this level this season. Shame we couldn't have spun out Aswad's departure a little longer.

We've clearly lost two talented players, but I get the point about needing the best possible team rather than the best possible players. Does more need to be done on player's character before they are brought in or were they a risk worth taking? I know for years a lot of people have been crying out for players who want to "play for the shirt" but I don't think that hard work and application is enough even at this level if you don't have the guile. You don't, for example, see John Oster running around being the water carrier.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 112
Maringer
February 10, 2015, 7:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
I'm a little surprised to see Neilson leave but, thinking about it, I'm not sure how much of a loss he will turn out to be based on his general form this season? He had a great spell at the start of the season after missing the first few games with injury, but it seems months since he put in anything like a decent performance. The fact that he's not played for six weeks now indicates there has either been a serious problem with his fitness or within his private life (if the rumours are to be believed). Possibly both?

Oh well, I wish him well enough in the future - providing he isn't playing against us! Masses of ability, just a pity that he doesn't apparently have the passion for the game that some other less talented players possess.

Let's hope that Jolley finds his feet soon as I think he's the one who is now there to provide the trickery in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neilson gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.