12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
February 9, 2015, 9:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
It is now February 9th and Neilson had only trained on three days since the Lincoln game,

Four days if he turned up on Saturday,

Yes he had an injury and then he was sick ?

A bit like Thomas and now he has gone like Thomas,

Both very good players at this level,

BUT

Both did not have their hearts in Grimsby or their heads in the right place,

Good luck to both of them, their destiny lies in the conference,

Ours will be much higher.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 112
gtfc82
February 9, 2015, 9:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Well done PH for getting rid of the deadwood who lack commitment! Neilson's career has been full of moves which offered promise at the time but all ended up the same way. That suggests that the issue is not with the clubs but with Neilson himself!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 112
acko338
February 9, 2015, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Talent too infrequent to be of use in the run in - not being fit would mean paying Neilson as a squad player to do nothing else all season - just like the other Boreing threads from last season.

We cannot afford to carry one back four player and one midfielder, regardless of talent on paper !

Good moves, well done to Paul Hurst and the directors backing him on the two issues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 112
MeanwoodMariner
February 9, 2015, 9:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Shame, really liked him as a skilful creative player, but as gtfc82 points out, there does appear to be a pattern in his career. Hurst is obviously well aware of the positive things Nielson can bring so it won't be a decision he took lightly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 112
February 9, 2015, 9:36pm
Guest User
Not bothered about this one.

Overweight and does not take his fitness serious. That's why he will only ever be a Conference player.

Sheff Weds scouts watching their keeper play for Alfreton at ours earlier this season said exactly this. When asked if they rated him they said "no he is tonnes overweight"
Reply: 44 - 112
ginnywings
February 9, 2015, 9:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,084
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from pontoonlew
I'm all ready for the negative votes on this one.

Last week how I posted how I thought the fact he was 'ill' was a cover up for something else. Cue people questioning how I could possibly criticise the club who were quite obviously not lying to fans for weeks now. That's now two of our best players gone within a week of each other and nobody has a bloody clue why.

Neilson was our most creative player, bar none. A player who had the ability to tear teams apart on a regular basis when utilised properly (as he was at the start of the season) he's obviously not got a brilliant work ethic but I've not seen some wild idiot who has no interest, if that was the case why would he have uprooted from his preferred location down south to come back up? What I have seen is a player who the manager is happy to publicly criticize despite him being no worse than anybody else on the pitch and despite the manager publicly blowing his top at fans when they criticised other players. I have also seen a player played in a position he's not at his total best in, the Scott Neilson in the first few games of the season you would've built a team around, absolutely no question. Ask yourselves why the club would make sure he couldn't sign for anybody else? If this decision was for footballing reasons then i'll be gobsmacked. Nathan Arnold, who has shown to not have an inch of Neilsons talent coupled with a similar attitude on the pitch is still at the club, what's the difference?

It's an absolutely massive decision from Hurst and I can't help but thinking this is a personal one, which is a dangerous game to play.

The most pertinent part of your post for me.

We can speculate but i'm sure a fit and fighting for the cause Neilson would not have been let go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 112
mariner91
February 9, 2015, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,541
Gold Stars: 258
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Well I am gutted.

I hope paul knows what he's doing because lets face it two of our better players have left the club in recent days with reasons why all hear say..

Paul has shown his ruthless streak and lets face it no one knows whats happened but scott neilson was one little cracking player at our level.

For your sake paul you better be getting these decisions right.

Was Aswad one of our better players? Out of the four defenders you would consider as first choice, he was definitely the weakest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 112
Garth
February 9, 2015, 9:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Frees up a wage for a talented loan player who could help us win the playoffs, best of luck Scott
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 112
grimsby pete
February 9, 2015, 10:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Garth
Frees up a wage for a talented loan player who could help us win the playoffs, best of luck Scott

Just what I was thinking Garth.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 112
chaos33
February 9, 2015, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Very mixed feelings on this because I think he's a great player on his day, but you probably need look no further than the fact that he's had his contract terminated at 3 clubs in 3 years now. Could be playing at a higher level if technical ability ws all that mattered, but it's not. Consitency, commitment and attitude count for a lot. He obviously really lets himself down off the pitch, so no doubt Town felt they had no option. Real shame, but it begs the question; how much does Nielson want to be a pro footballer?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neilson gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.