This thread currently has 18,980 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
February 9, 2015, 7:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
On his day a very skill full player but I think Hurst knew there were a few rebels in the squad and fair play he as let them go. It looks as though they did not like being part of the squad and without discipline and respect you are going to struggle best outcome for all concerned. Time to move on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 112
itsnotcoditshaddock
February 9, 2015, 7:12pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
No coincidence really that he's left shortly after Aswad, is it? In my opinion. We don't need any more Brodie situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 112
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2015, 7:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Think that release explains the signing of Jolley. Congratulations to all of the management for ensuring he can't sign for anyone else in this league.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 112
Trawler
February 9, 2015, 7:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from LondonMariner43
It's a shame to see a top player go but at this stage in the season we need a tight knit squad who play for the team and work hard whether in the 1st 11 or they are back up.  I'd rather have a guy like Hamish who has travelled half way round the world to fight for a place on the bench, than guys who think they are too good to work hard, go round saying they are the best left back in non league, get homesick because they aren't used to being north of Watford or some other excuse.  We've seen in the past how the business end of the season can get derailed by having difficult personalities in the squad.  If we go up this season it's gonna be in the play offs and that requires mental strength, teamwork and desire throughout the squad.

This. Even though I'm gutted to see Neilson go.  I was always genuinely excited to see him on the pitch - but nonetheless THIS.  Love your description of Hamish. It's exactly the ethic I hope Hurst is extolling.  Bad pennies can do one.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 112
mariner tommy
February 9, 2015, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
We don't need him, we've got plenty of wingers to replace him with, Paddy (if needed in that position), Jolley, Mackreth, Arnold.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 112
Trawler
February 9, 2015, 7:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
There is it seems a fascinating correlation between out and out lower league football talent and fragility of character -  a la Thomas and Neilson.  They are where they are because of their inability to be the players they could be. QED

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 112
rancido
February 9, 2015, 7:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Sad to see him go but he is another example of a footballer who has the talent but not the application or work ethic.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 112
mariner tommy
February 9, 2015, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
On his day a very skill full player but I think Hurst knew there were a few rebels in the squad and fair play he as let them go. It looks as though they did not like being part of the squad and without discipline and respect you are going to struggle best outcome for all concerned. Time to move on.

What makes you think that ?  Hurst has never said as such.

And to be fair, we don't know they were rebels do we ?

We are only guessing, and listening to endless rumour.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 112
Abdul19
February 9, 2015, 7:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
No idea what's gone on, but such a shame and as said above, a waste  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 112
TAGG
February 9, 2015, 7:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from mariner tommy
We don't need him, we've got plenty of wingers to replace him with, Paddy (if needed in that position), Jolley, Mackreth, Arnold.

UTM

Put all three of them on the pitch at the same time still not worth one Neilson.
Should have used him more IMO but don't think Hurst likes flair players.  
Good luck to the lad what ever he does next.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neilson gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.