rancido
February 10, 2015, 2:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
Very mixed feelings on this because I think he's a great player on his day, but you probably need look no further than the fact that he's had his contract terminated at 3 clubs in 3 years now. Could be playing at a higher level if technical ability ws all that mattered, but it's not. Consitency, commitment and attitude count for a lot. He obviously really lets himself down off the pitch, so no doubt Town felt they had no option. Real shame, but it begs the question; how much does Nielson want to be a pro footballer?

I think too many on here have overlooked this factor. They forget we had him on loan and then he decided to go to Luton and slated us off in the process. The end of that season Luton got shut of him because he didn't fit in with their manages promotion plans. We ended up with him almost by default and although he has had some great games they have been far outweighed by a lot of mediocre and almost non-existent performances.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 112
Les Brechin
February 10, 2015, 2:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from gtfc98

How do you know we didn't pay either of them off? Nielson doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would walk away for nothing!

With Neilson it's down to the fact that he requested that his contract be cancelled, not the club. There may have been a financial settlement but I'm sure it would only have been a minimal amount.

Quoted Text
GRIMSBY Town have announced that Scott Neilson has cancelled his contract by mutual consent.

The 27-year-old winger has not played since he limped out of the defeat to Lincoln City on December 28.

The club have now confirmed that following discussions, the winger has terminated his contract and has left Blundell Park.

A club statement read: "We would like to wish Scott all the best for the future."

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 112
rancido
February 10, 2015, 2:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MrsMariner
I'm really sorry to see him go, I always preferred  a Town team with Neilson in it than without. After our poor start to the season he came in and really made the team tick and scored a few goals aswell. I'm disapointed Hurst wasn't able to continue to get the best out of him, I know he's had injuries but I dont think he was played in his best position enough. By letting him go Hurst makes life a little easier for himself with team selections and keeping squad players happy.

It seems like PH hasn't been the only manager not to get the best out of him or he wouldn't have changed clubs so much.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 112
lobsterpot
February 10, 2015, 3:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but if it was the ' missing darn sarf ' issue, judging by the photos of his bird, there was never any doubt. Keep the relationship with her or stay here!

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 112
Quagmire
February 10, 2015, 4:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +926
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from RichMariner
It's a genuine shame to see him go, but he's not contributed much to the team for a long time now so I don't think we're losing much in that respect.

It's difficult for a player to contribute much when the manager seems hell bent on not playing him.

He may well have had his 'off days' when he did play but neither Macreth nor Arnold have really pulled any trees up so far this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 112
fishheadphil
February 10, 2015, 8:22pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Just a fat peter bore ? Too fragile and precious these types of player, if I where the manager I would have every player do a weeks work in a fish factory or a building site and get them out grafting at 5 in the morning like us long suffering fans!  They would soon develope mental strength and desire trust me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 112
Teestogreen
February 10, 2015, 9:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Quagmire

It's difficult for a player to contribute much when the manager seems hell bent on not playing him.

He may well have had his 'off days' when he did play but neither Macreth nor Arnold have really pulled any trees up so far this season.

Spot on  - no idea why he didn't get picked, but his ancestor, Cliff Jones at Tottenham, seemed to get picked regularly. Great pedigree, could have been a great for Grimsby Town.
No exciting players for us now - lets hope we can 'grind' out promotion.

UTM

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 112
Teestogreen
February 10, 2015, 10:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
How things change quickly for us fans....seems like only yesterday when we were celebrating with these boys in the Black & White stripes

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/kew8jn.jpg[/IMG]

Absolutely, - it makes you wonder who 'we' really are.
Peeved at the loss of these players (Neilson and Thomas) - players who could have helped us to promotion - don't understand it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 112
Abdul19
February 10, 2015, 10:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Who's now got the nicest hair/teeth combo at GTFC?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 112
LH
February 10, 2015, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Abdul19
Who's now got the nicest hair/teeth combo at GTFC?

Thanoj and Neilson gone in less than a year. Arnold and Bore's salon won't do too well now.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Neilson gone

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.