ackomariner
January 7, 2015, 9:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from rancido
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so if this has been posted before then sorry. When PH assembled his squad last summer, apart from another striker, he seemed to be happy with what he had to succeed this season. Admittedly we had to sign Boyce temporarily as cover for suspensions but basically the main components were there. He gives three ex YT lads pro contracts but doesn't use them - why? If they were signed as cover then why weren't they utilised when cover was required. Instead he brings in loanees and leaves these lads on the bench. That represents approximately 14% of the playing staff using up valuable wages. I know these lads won't be on great money but their combined wages could have been used to fund one half decent regular player. He now says he wants to strengthen the squad which, in my eyes anyway, demonstrates he got it wrong in the first place. We don't have a reserve team so any fringe players are never going to get the chance to impress PH apart from putting in regular decent stints on the training pitch. I don't agree with the Chairmen/ Board interfering with the squad selection because that is the managers job but if I was JF then I would certainly have a word in PH's ear and explain why we signed 3 players and have not utilised them apart from keeping the match bench warm!
I'm rapidly beginning to lose faith in PH's ability to produce a promotion winning team. He seems quite able to get a decent squad together but doesn't seem able to get the best out of them. You only have to look down the A46 to see how a manager with very little managerial pedigree can turn a squad around especially after their result against Barnet. Now I don't know who we could get to replace PH but if we don't get promoted this season then the Board will have to replace him because he will completely lose what little support he has from the fans and I'm sure the summer ST sales will reflect this if he isn't replaced.

Excellent post IMO

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 86
friskneymariner
January 7, 2015, 9:45am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I said it at the time and unfortunately it has turned out to be correct,that we started the season at least 2 players short.It would appear the Y.T'S were just makeweights to detract from how small the squad was.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 86
barralad
January 7, 2015, 11:47am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121

Ok - Putting aside that Forest Green is the Monaco of the south.  Why would a good (for this level) player go there to play in front of a thousand fans for a year or two, at a place with no footballing pedigree whatsoever?

The answer of course is money - which is my argument - we are therefore not paying enough to get the players that would make a difference.

Written by someone who will never be expected to part with any significant money (other than match day ticket money). And some think a boycott is the answer...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 86
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 7, 2015, 12:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Interesting to see, and apologies if already posted, but heard a sniffle about Michael gash being available from kiddy and hurst being interested.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 86
BIGChris
January 7, 2015, 1:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Interesting to see, and apologies if already posted, but heard a sniffle about Michael gash being available from kiddy and hurst being interested.

Gash has left Kiddy. He is definitely available but may have something lined up.

Personally i've never been over impressed with him but that is only based on a few games over several seasons
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 7, 2015, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

Written by someone who will never be expected to part with any significant money (other than match day ticket money). And some think a boycott is the answer...

If money is a sticking point then the club can do something about that ......... if it (the board) really wants to. For a start it can stop the nonsense of signing squad players and bench warmers who are no better than existing first teamers. It is a case of ambition isn't it?

But I don't think money is always the whole story. There are plenty of decent players in the north and midlands, league and non-league, who would come here if they found the idea attractive. If they liked the way the manager wants to play, they thought he was ambitious for the top spot and they thought they had a good chance of being a first team regular, they would see Grimsby as a good opportunity. If the tale of the twenty odd refusals in the summer is true, that tells its own story and it isn't a simple financial fairy one.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 86
acko338
January 7, 2015, 1:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
28 refusals - why?

Sign a player - leave him on the bench, send him back after a month - result - wages spent for nothing !

On the last few weeks' performances, I would have thought that Walker playing on a wing was worth at least a throw for something different !

I just hope that Ollie Palmer gets a chance - have Mansfield insisted he gets games while here ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.