9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
January 3, 2015, 4:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96

How on earth can we speak to 28 potential players and get turned down by them all?

This is Grimsby Town - surely a big enough fish at this low level to attract players of a decent standard.

I can only come to the conclusion we wont pay the going rate to get the people we really want.

Then again it could be our geographical location, as was pointed out by Alan Buckley .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
arryarryarry
January 3, 2015, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
According to the OS we look like we will be signing Parslow, who for me is no better that what we have and is just a make do player.

We should be signing better players if we want to improve and have any chance of getting out of this league.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 3, 2015, 4:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

Then again it could be our geographical location, as was pointed out by Alan Buckley .

They surely didn't all live south of Watford. Geography might be an issue for a few but not for 28, it's either money or they don't fancy playing for Town.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 86
cmackenzie4
January 3, 2015, 4:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I would hazard a guess that players would not chose Grimsby due to location.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
ackomariner
January 3, 2015, 4:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry
According to the OS we look like we will be signing Parslow, who for me is no better that what we have and is just a make do player.

We should be signing better players if we want to improve and have any chance of getting out of this league.

Said he would sign him, just his type of player,,  defensive minded

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
BIGChris
January 3, 2015, 5:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from arryarryarry

York centre back Zubar received a straight red today, his second of the season and now faces a 4 match ban. That may change things re Parslow?

IMO Parslow isnt a first choice in any of his positions BUT having someone who can cover 3 positions is a good option from the bench
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
oldun
January 3, 2015, 5:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from arryarryarry

Predictable if true. I am disappointed , not seen a good game from him. His headed clearances are pathetic. I cannot believe there are no better utility players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2015, 5:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from rancido

Why would that matter this day and age? Any player is only at any club for two minutes anyway.

No one would choose to live/play in Forest Green would they, particularly?

Even if it was an issue, we have to sell the place and/ or pay a premium.

All of that assumes of course that we are serious in getting out of this league as Champions, but obviously we aren't.  
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 86
BIGChris
January 3, 2015, 5:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6

Why would that matter this day and age? Any player is only at any club for two minutes anyway.

All of that assumes of course that we are serious in getting out of this league as Champions, but obviously we aren't.  

It is a decent part of the world tbf.

I think the 28 players didnt all turn us down. Many clubs said they werent available
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
rancido
January 3, 2015, 5:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,534
Gold Stars: 96

It matters because no matter how you dress it up Grimsby's reputation as an industrial fishing port gives the wrong impression. We know that the fishing aspect is long in the past but this isn't apparent to a large part of the country. It's not that long ago that my ex's cousin came up to visit the area from London and she was actually surprised that  the area didn't smell of fish and that the men weren't wearing clogs! I know we have to sell the area but you have to battle against a lot of false preconceptions about the town.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.