louth_in_the_south
January 4, 2015, 1:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Apparently Hannah is on 2k a week and Winfarrah £800 to sit in the stands. Money needs to be spent better in my opinion.

Why post something so obviously bollox ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 5, 2015, 10:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's a bit difficult to see what Hurst will do about new players. The side needs goals, goals and more goals and in a normal universe that would mean a new striker. He obviously rates LJL head and shoulders above any other striker in the league so he won't want to replace him. So that leaves a replacement for Pittman does it?

Or are we looking for wingers? He's had three goes at finding a goalscoring winger already and then signed another he immediately let go to Boston so what's going on there? Or midfield? Brown and Clay started well enough to enthuse a lot of supporters but now are sliding in the popularity stakes as midfield becomes a minefield. So, another midfielder? Creative? Paddy was supposed to provide creativity but he's disappearing as well. Tackling? More likely I'd have thought. He will want a holding midfielder so he doesn't have to play a full back there.

The biggest problem though is that nobody knows what his style/system actually is. One minute he wants players comfortable on the ball and a passing game then the next they are launching it up to LJL. Wingers who used to have a go at full backs are now happier cutting inside or getting rid early.

I said an another thread that looking back through the highlights of the games is instructive and it is quite obvious that there is no consistent pattern to how the side plays. I'd even include the Gateshead and Alfreton games in that because several goals owed more to suicidal defending than to Town's inventive attacking. The only clear plus point is the back 4 that looks solid when they are all fit. Winning needs goals though and it is far from clear how Hurst expects to achieve them whatever his signings.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 86
SamTheMariner
January 5, 2015, 10:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
The question is what we need compared to what Hurst will get. We didn't get Bogle, Jennings, Boden, Moult and Jolley because they knew of Hurst's negative tactics and they won't socre as many goals as we should in an ideal world. Our strikers would be Lenny, Akinde, Bogle and Moult in my opinion. My fear is he'll let Watson go and sign Parslow until the end of the season. We need quality cover at centre half (Boyce), a striker who has pace and can score, and a midfielder who can ping the ball around and put a beautiful ball in the box from a set play. Then I will be more confident. However, am I confident Hurst will want to or be able to sign these players? NO!

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 86
Maringer
January 5, 2015, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from SamTheMariner
The question is what we need compared to what Hurst will get. We didn't get Bogle, Jennings, Boden, Moult and Jolley because they knew of Hurst's negative tactics and they won't socre as many goals as we should in an ideal world. Our strikers would be Lenny, Akinde, Bogle and Moult in my opinion.

Nurse! NURSE!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 86
Mariners_15
January 5, 2015, 11:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Paddy is still yet to be given a decent run in the side. Give him a few games to show what he can do, not just one game then drop him again. I really do believe we've got a player in Paddy, can anyone remember the video when he first joined? Yes it was mostly from youth and reserve football at Newcastle but he clearly has massive ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGhcTBp_n74
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 86
ackomariner
January 5, 2015, 11:54am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mariners_15
Paddy is still yet to be given a decent run in the side. Give him a few games to show what he can do, not just one game then drop him again. I really do believe we've got a player in Paddy, can anyone remember the video when he first joined? Yes it was mostly from youth and reserve football at Newcastle but he clearly has massive ability.

He is a good player but never really been given the chance by hurst, and if he has it's nearly always out of postiton.
Got to play to the players strengths, and give them a run in the side

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 86
SamTheMariner
January 5, 2015, 12:05pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Quoted from Mariners_15

Paddy's best position would be in a three in midfield with Disley and Brown to do the tackling, tracking back, and then let Paddy create chances for Lenny and probably Disley as well.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 86
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 5, 2015, 12:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ackomariner

He is a good player but never really been given the chance by hurst, and if he has it's nearly always out of postiton.
Got to play to the players strengths, and give them a run in the side

Seems to me that Hurst wants all central midfield players to be able to run, tackle, sit in, kick lumps off and track back. Failure to do any one of these means demotion. Creativity doesn't figure in the equation.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 86
rancido
January 5, 2015, 2:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so if this has been posted before then sorry. When PH assembled his squad last summer, apart from another striker, he seemed to be happy with what he had to succeed this season. Admittedly we had to sign Boyce temporarily as cover for suspensions but basically the main components were there. He gives three ex YT lads pro contracts but doesn't use them - why? If they were signed as cover then why weren't they utilised when cover was required. Instead he brings in loanees and leaves these lads on the bench. That represents approximately 14% of the playing staff using up valuable wages. I know these lads won't be on great money but their combined wages could have been used to fund one half decent regular player. He now says he wants to strengthen the squad which, in my eyes anyway, demonstrates he got it wrong in the first place. We don't have a reserve team so any fringe players are never going to get the chance to impress PH apart from putting in regular decent stints on the training pitch. I don't agree with the Chairmen/ Board interfering with the squad selection because that is the managers job but if I was JF then I would certainly have a word in PH's ear and explain why we signed 3 players and have not utilised them apart from keeping the match bench warm!
I'm rapidly beginning to lose faith in PH's ability to produce a promotion winning team. He seems quite able to get a decent squad together but doesn't seem able to get the best out of them. You only have to look down the A46 to see how a manager with very little managerial pedigree can turn a squad around especially after their result against Barnet. Now I don't know who we could get to replace PH but if we don't get promoted this season then the Board will have to replace him because he will completely lose what little support he has from the fans and I'm sure the summer ST sales will reflect this if he isn't replaced.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 86
January 6, 2015, 11:20pm
Guest User
Interesting to see Matty Blair has returned back to Fleetwood from his spell at Cambridge. I would certainly have him here and he is that creative winger we could do with, don't think he quite cut it in the league but he has a proven record when York went up and scored some vital goals to win the trophy and gain promotion. He will know Doig, Paddy, Parslow, Brown and a few of the other lads and hopefully Pondy could put in a good word for us. But we will sign a defender despite us having the best defence in the league.
Reply: 79 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.