9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
January 3, 2015, 5:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

How on earth can we speak to 28 potential players and get turned down by them all?

This is Grimsby Town - surely a big enough fish at this low level to attract players of a decent standard.

I can only come to the conclusion we wont pay the going rate to get the people we really want.

Quoted from Getyourfactsright

They earn an average wage at best

Happy New year and best wishes John

Conclusion confirmed  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 86
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2015, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

It matters because no matter how you dress it up Grimsby's reputation as an industrial fishing port gives the wrong impression. We know that the fishing aspect is long in the past but this isn't apparent to a large part of the country. It's not that long ago that my ex's cousin came up to visit the area from London and she was actually surprised that  the area didn't smell of fish and that the men weren't wearing clogs! I know we have to sell the area but you have to battle against a lot of false preconceptions about the town.

Perhaps we should play on our reputation and call ourselves Skint FC?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 86
grimsby pete
January 3, 2015, 5:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
I must be getting a cynic in my old age,

I can not see Hurst signing anybody that will go straight into the team and make a difference,

He will sign two 19 year olds and not play them imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 86
Maringer
January 3, 2015, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
He's got more chance of getting decent players in now than when trying for loanees before Christmas. Still not as much chance as during the summer months, of course.

Let's hope he can persuade one or two players capable of making a difference to sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 86
BIGChris
January 3, 2015, 5:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Jolley
Matty Blair
Ryan Bird (only had a handful of starts for Cambridge this season)
Calvin Zola (dont know if he has been injured but played 3 games for Stevenage this season)

The above would give us far more options and fire power, just cant think of a midfielder who makes late runs into the box as someone doing that on a regular basis (who can also get about the pitch at pace) would be heaven sent imo
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 86
Tommy
January 3, 2015, 5:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
And let's be honest, the disadvantage of our geographical location is more of a problem now than it ever has been, due to the level we're at.

In the Championship or even possibly L1 + L2 clubs pay better money so players are more willing to make the sacrifice of moving.

Players are probably less willing to relocate for a short term deal knowing if you don't get retained by a conference club that's pretty much you done as a full-time footballer. Whereas if you make a move in the Championship there's still plenty of clubs "below" you that could have an interest in you if it doesn't work out.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 86
denni266
January 3, 2015, 5:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
Perhaps if some finance tied up in players who never get a game was released for one or two who would play and improve the team then maybe we might win more often.However life tends not to be so simple does it?

I think the problem is no one wants to come here unless they are desperate , players that are  aproched by us will obviously do some home work, ie  read this site,, talk to folk  and make decissions ,, they dont just  sigh will nilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 86
grimsby pete
January 3, 2015, 6:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer
He's got more chance of getting decent players in now than when trying for loanees before Christmas. Still not as much chance as during the summer months, of course.

Let's hope he can persuade one or two players capable of making a difference to sign.

I can remember when we had 5 or 6 local lads in the side,

Dave and Kevin Moore plus ANDY

Drinkell, Ford, Lund, Wilkinson,Oster

Lumby , Brown, Wiggington, Empson,

Plus many more,

Why are there not any local lads good enough for the conference Hursty ?

All of the above played at a lot higher level.

We have a 2 or 3 on the books,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2015, 6:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from BIGChris

It is a decent part of the world tbf.

I think the 28 players didnt all turn us down. Many clubs said they werent available

Ok - Putting aside that Forest Green is the Monaco of the south.  Why would a good (for this level) player go there to play in front of a thousand fans for a year or two, at a place with no footballing pedigree whatsoever?

The answer of course is money - which is my argument - we are therefore not paying enough to get the players that would make a difference.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 86
BIGChris
January 3, 2015, 6:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6

Ok - Putting aside that Forest Green is the Monaco of the south.  Why would a good (for this level) player go there to play in front of a thousand fans for a year or two, at a place with no footballing pedigree whatsoever?

The answer of course is money - which is my argument - we are therefore not paying enough to get the players that would make a difference.

IF you are suggesting we start playing players at Conference level £3000+ per week ( as FGR are) then I strongly disagree
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.