Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: paulgtfc, January 2, 2015, 1:54pm
Is this really the answer?  

Decent squad size, generous budget given our finances, countless loan signings whilst the likes of Paddy and the youngsters kick their heels..surely Hurst should pull his finger out and start managing his players properly.  No doubt Gary Mills & John Still would have got much more out of this squad.

I would tell Hurst to ship out some players if he needs new faces.  Any thoughts?
Posted by: Quagmire, January 2, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 1
I'd prefer it if we shipped Hurst out.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 2
Almost past caring after another 2 dismal home performances.

Hurst needs to excrement or get off the pot.
Posted by: grimps, January 2, 2015, 1:58pm; Reply: 3
We've seen this panic every January for the last 4 seasons , It's never ended well  :-/
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 2, 2015, 2:03pm; Reply: 4
I don't think Hurst will bring any new players in,

He has had from pre season to sign players,

AND

If he did get a good player to come in,

He will go the same way as the rest of the squad.

Its not new players we want , its a new manager.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 2, 2015, 2:39pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
I don't think Hurst will bring any new players in,

He has had from pre season to sign players,

AND

If he did get a good player to come in,

He will go the same way as the rest of the squad.

Its not new players we want , its a new manager.

I agree with the last bit.

Hurst is a master at making sows' ears out of silk purses.

But he will make at least one signing though. York will be having a reserve team clear out surely?
Posted by: Maringer, January 2, 2015, 2:57pm; Reply: 6
I think we need a couple of new players in at the very least. An extra striker which we've been missing since the start of the season and different type of player in central midfield.

However, I'm getting pretty bored with all the "Hurst makes players worse" nonsense which seems to be spouted every 5 minutes or so.

If this was the case, players who leave the club would surely become much better players than they showed here? I know people like to mention Southwell and to some degree Cook, but you have to recall that they are no longer playing against full-time professionals most weeks so you would expect they would score a few goals if they had anything about them. The fact that many of the players to leave us recently have ended up at lower division clubs says a lot more about them than anything else apart, perhaps, from the fact that they weren't great signings in the first place.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 2, 2015, 3:08pm; Reply: 7
Someone up front with a bit of pace or on the flank would be nice and give us more options in attack we need to be more attack minded attacking always puts your opponents on the defence. We desperately need an attacking outlet at home our away strategy seems ok but at home you need to force the play.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 2, 2015, 4:22pm; Reply: 8
We've got enough players, just that some of them aren't very good or aren't very bothered, particularly two of them that are here on loan.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 2, 2015, 4:58pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer
I think we need a couple of new players in at the very least. An extra striker which we've been missing since the start of the season and different type of player in central midfield.

However, I'm getting pretty bored with all the "Hurst makes players worse" nonsense which seems to be spouted every 5 minutes or so.

If this was the case, players who leave the club would surely become much better players than they showed here? I know people like to mention Southwell and to some degree Cook, but you have to recall that they are no longer playing against full-time professionals most weeks so you would expect they would score a few goals if they had anything about them. The fact that many of the players to leave us recently have ended up at lower division clubs says a lot more about them than anything else apart, perhaps, from the fact that they weren't great signings in the first place.

There is much truth in the 'what were they signed for in the first place' argument.

There is also truth in the argument that the squad clearly needed strengthening from the start and that hasn't happened.

The point about players performing badly is still valid though. Several posters have mentioned several players that this has happened to over weeks or even months.  But several posters also said long ago that these players were better quality than we had before. It would be rare that so many players in one team would simply lose form at the same time wouldn't it?

So all roads lead to the bloke in charge don't they? ;)

Posted by: oldun, January 2, 2015, 5:10pm; Reply: 10
I have reached the conclusion we need more physical strength accross the middle line. We have too many small players with no resilience, especially the wide players, if their fancy touches don't come off they are out of the game. We need at least 2 strong players in there who can stand their ground and if necessary win the ball for us. Another strong finisher up top is still needed too. A replacement for Parslow also. The only players we have with real strength and battling spirit are Pearson, Toto, and Lenny, this is not enough.
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, January 2, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 11
Perhaps if some finance tied up in players who never get a game was released for one or two who would play and improve the team then maybe we might win more often.However life tends not to be so simple does it?
Posted by: DocTower, January 2, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 12

The point about players performing badly is still valid though. Several posters have mentioned several players that this has happened to over weeks or even months.  But several posters also said long ago that these players were better quality than we had before. It would be rare that so many players in one team would simply lose form at the same time wouldn't it?

So all roads lead to the bloke in charge don't they? ;)

I was slated when I queried  why so many players had off days especially  on the same day . As you say all roads lead to ?
Posted by: Maringer, January 2, 2015, 5:33pm; Reply: 13
I've been expecting Hurst (and Scott when he was here) to add pace and power to all areas of the team ever since they joined and remain surprised that we've failed to do so. Pretty much every team which has gone up since we were down in the Conference was full of solid and physical players with a bit of skill thrown in here and there. We've been slow in the middle of the park for as long as I can remember and we're not exactly lightning up front, though the arrival of Pittman and Macketh + Arnold (to a lesser extent) improved things a little there.

Still, we've got what we've got and, when they play well, we've seen that the players are mostly decent, verging on quite good on the rare occasions they are on really good form. Unfortunately, as a bunch, they just don't appear to be consistent enough and, without the physical attributes most teams seem to possess, we struggle to compete when so many players are out of form. If you look at the entire squad, I can only think of Pearson and Magnay who have been pretty much guaranteed to put in an effective performance this season. LJL is always going to work his socks off but it doesn't always come right. Most of the others have a habit of disappearing from games when the going gets tough.

For those desperate to see Hurst go because he's apparently to blame for all of the individual players' poor form, I do wonder if they seriously think all these players will suddenly become a yard quicker, better in the air and able to run further under new management? I tend to doubt it.

We'll have to see if a couple of signings can rescue our season because there hasn't been any real indication over the past month that the players are capable of lifting their game to solidify a place in the play-offs.
Posted by: Garth, January 2, 2015, 5:49pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ginnywings
Almost past caring after another 2 dismal home performances.

Hurst needs to excrement or get off the pot.

Got me chuckling first time since pre Lincoln ;D
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 2, 2015, 8:59pm; Reply: 15
Ian Sharpes, Lee Bell, Danny Crow, Christian Jolley all transfer listed by there clubs.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2015, 9:16pm; Reply: 16
Jolley would do nicely.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 2, 2015, 9:23pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings
Jolley would do nicely.

Based on his past, but hardly shone at FGR shame they didn't make Aaron O'Connor available!!

I understand Jolley was one of the 28 players Hurst had enquirer about earlier but he preferred to go to Forest Green
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from BIGChris

Based on his past, but hardly shone at FGR shame they didn't make Aaron O'Connor available!!

I understand Jolley was one of the 28 players Hurst had enquirer about earlier but he preferred to go to Forest Green

Does anyone shine at FGR?

Given their budget, they underperform more than anyone.
Posted by: Pontoon84, January 2, 2015, 9:26pm; Reply: 19
Who was the buy last January Tounkara? Wouldn't trust him to do any decent business
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2015, 9:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Pontoon84
Who was the buy last January Tounkara? Wouldn't trust him to do any decent business

Straight into it with your first post.

Welcome.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 2, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Given their budget, they underperform more than anyone.

Fair point but the way Jolley shone in the Conference I would have expected him to shine in Lge 2 but Newport keen to offload him.

People say Mackreth was fantastic against us. Just makes me (over?)cautious
Posted by: davmariner, January 2, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 22
I wouldn't trust Hurst with anymore money, the system he players doesn't justify bringing better players in because his system and style of play doesn't get the best out of them.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

Fair point but the way Jolley shone in the Conference I would have expected him to shine in Lge 2 but Newport keen to offload him.

People say Mackreth was fantastic against us. Just makes me (over?)cautious

There's obviously a player in there. He was in the conference team of the year after all and who knows why Newport are letting him go?They may be top heavy with strikers and need to free up the budget.

Isn't he a winger cum striker? Maybe just what we need to spark the front line but Hurst will probably sign another utility player anyway.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 2, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from BIGChris

I can't see him venturing up North to be honest.  
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 25
Just seen Nathan Pond hasn't started for Fleetwood for a couple of months. Is he injured or out of favour?

Jolley if he can reach the standards of a couple of seasons ago or a youngster such as KwameThomas at Derby.

The above is total guess work brought about by boredom of not having a game today. Let's face it we won't know until it happens
Posted by: Abdul19, January 3, 2015, 3:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings

Certainly not the fucking floodlights (ho ho)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 3, 2015, 3:37pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from BIGChris

How on earth can we speak to 28 potential players and get turned down by them all?

This is Grimsby Town - surely a big enough fish at this low level to attract players of a decent standard.

I can only come to the conclusion we wont pay the going rate to get the people we really want.
Posted by: davmariner, January 3, 2015, 4:21pm; Reply: 28
Pond has been injured.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 4:23pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from davmariner
Pond has been injured.

Thanks
Posted by: rancido, January 3, 2015, 4:24pm; Reply: 30

How on earth can we speak to 28 potential players and get turned down by them all?

This is Grimsby Town - surely a big enough fish at this low level to attract players of a decent standard.

I can only come to the conclusion we wont pay the going rate to get the people we really want.

Then again it could be our geographical location, as was pointed out by Alan Buckley .
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 3, 2015, 4:44pm; Reply: 31
According to the OS we look like we will be signing Parslow, who for me is no better that what we have and is just a make do player.

We should be signing better players if we want to improve and have any chance of getting out of this league.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 3, 2015, 4:45pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from rancido

Then again it could be our geographical location, as was pointed out by Alan Buckley .

They surely didn't all live south of Watford. Geography might be an issue for a few but not for 28, it's either money or they don't fancy playing for Town.

Posted by: cmackenzie4, January 3, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 33
I would hazard a guess that players would not chose Grimsby due to location.
Posted by: ackomariner, January 3, 2015, 4:52pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from arryarryarry
According to the OS we look like we will be signing Parslow, who for me is no better that what we have and is just a make do player.

We should be signing better players if we want to improve and have any chance of getting out of this league.

Said he would sign him, just his type of player,,  defensive minded
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 5:04pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from arryarryarry

York centre back Zubar received a straight red today, his second of the season and now faces a 4 match ban. That may change things re Parslow?

IMO Parslow isnt a first choice in any of his positions BUT having someone who can cover 3 positions is a good option from the bench
Posted by: oldun, January 3, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from arryarryarry

Predictable if true. I am disappointed , not seen a good game from him. His headed clearances are pathetic. I cannot believe there are no better utility players.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 3, 2015, 5:06pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

Why would that matter this day and age? Any player is only at any club for two minutes anyway.

No one would choose to live/play in Forest Green would they, particularly?

Even if it was an issue, we have to sell the place and/ or pay a premium.

All of that assumes of course that we are serious in getting out of this league as Champions, but obviously we aren't.  
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 5:09pm; Reply: 38

Why would that matter this day and age? Any player is only at any club for two minutes anyway.

All of that assumes of course that we are serious in getting out of this league as Champions, but obviously we aren't.  

It is a decent part of the world tbf.

I think the 28 players didnt all turn us down. Many clubs said they werent available
Posted by: rancido, January 3, 2015, 5:14pm; Reply: 39

It matters because no matter how you dress it up Grimsby's reputation as an industrial fishing port gives the wrong impression. We know that the fishing aspect is long in the past but this isn't apparent to a large part of the country. It's not that long ago that my ex's cousin came up to visit the area from London and she was actually surprised that  the area didn't smell of fish and that the men weren't wearing clogs! I know we have to sell the area but you have to battle against a lot of false preconceptions about the town.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 3, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 40

Quoted from Getyourfactsright

They earn an average wage at best

Happy New year and best wishes John

Conclusion confirmed  :-/
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from rancido

It matters because no matter how you dress it up Grimsby's reputation as an industrial fishing port gives the wrong impression. We know that the fishing aspect is long in the past but this isn't apparent to a large part of the country. It's not that long ago that my ex's cousin came up to visit the area from London and she was actually surprised that  the area didn't smell of fish and that the men weren't wearing clogs! I know we have to sell the area but you have to battle against a lot of false preconceptions about the town.

Perhaps we should play on our reputation and call ourselves Skint FC?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 3, 2015, 5:48pm; Reply: 42
I must be getting a cynic in my old age,

I can not see Hurst signing anybody that will go straight into the team and make a difference,

He will sign two 19 year olds and not play them imo.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 43
He's got more chance of getting decent players in now than when trying for loanees before Christmas. Still not as much chance as during the summer months, of course.

Let's hope he can persuade one or two players capable of making a difference to sign.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 5:51pm; Reply: 44
Jolley
Matty Blair
Ryan Bird (only had a handful of starts for Cambridge this season)
Calvin Zola (dont know if he has been injured but played 3 games for Stevenage this season)

The above would give us far more options and fire power, just cant think of a midfielder who makes late runs into the box as someone doing that on a regular basis (who can also get about the pitch at pace) would be heaven sent imo
Posted by: Tommy, January 3, 2015, 5:54pm; Reply: 45
And let's be honest, the disadvantage of our geographical location is more of a problem now than it ever has been, due to the level we're at.

In the Championship or even possibly L1 + L2 clubs pay better money so players are more willing to make the sacrifice of moving.

Players are probably less willing to relocate for a short term deal knowing if you don't get retained by a conference club that's pretty much you done as a full-time footballer. Whereas if you make a move in the Championship there's still plenty of clubs "below" you that could have an interest in you if it doesn't work out.
Posted by: denni266, January 3, 2015, 5:57pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
Perhaps if some finance tied up in players who never get a game was released for one or two who would play and improve the team then maybe we might win more often.However life tends not to be so simple does it?

I think the problem is no one wants to come here unless they are desperate , players that are  aproched by us will obviously do some home work, ie  read this site,, talk to folk  and make decissions ,, they dont just  sigh will nilly
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 3, 2015, 6:06pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Maringer
He's got more chance of getting decent players in now than when trying for loanees before Christmas. Still not as much chance as during the summer months, of course.

Let's hope he can persuade one or two players capable of making a difference to sign.

I can remember when we had 5 or 6 local lads in the side,

Dave and Kevin Moore plus ANDY :)

Drinkell, Ford, Lund, Wilkinson,Oster

Lumby , Brown, Wiggington, Empson,

Plus many more,

Why are there not any local lads good enough for the conference Hursty ?

All of the above played at a lot higher level.

We have a 2 or 3 on the books,
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 3, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from BIGChris

It is a decent part of the world tbf.

I think the 28 players didnt all turn us down. Many clubs said they werent available

Ok - Putting aside that Forest Green is the Monaco of the south.  Why would a good (for this level) player go there to play in front of a thousand fans for a year or two, at a place with no footballing pedigree whatsoever?

The answer of course is money - which is my argument - we are therefore not paying enough to get the players that would make a difference.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 6:21pm; Reply: 49

Ok - Putting aside that Forest Green is the Monaco of the south.  Why would a good (for this level) player go there to play in front of a thousand fans for a year or two, at a place with no footballing pedigree whatsoever?

The answer of course is money - which is my argument - we are therefore not paying enough to get the players that would make a difference.

IF you are suggesting we start playing players at Conference level £3000+ per week ( as FGR are) then I strongly disagree
Posted by: Garth, January 3, 2015, 6:29pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from BIGChris

IF you are suggesting we start playing players at Conference level £3000+ per week ( as FGR are) then I strongly disagree

Agree but if you pay washers you get nuts
Posted by: Garth, January 3, 2015, 6:32pm; Reply: 51
What about having a word with our goalkeeping .coach he does a lot of scouting in the lower leagues I believe
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 3, 2015, 6:38pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Garth
What about having a word with our goalkeeping .coach he does a lot of scouting in the lower leagues I believe

Is there another Matt Tees or even George McClean up there waiting to be discovered.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 3, 2015, 6:39pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from denni266

I think the problem is no one wants to come here unless they are desperate , players that are  aproched by us will obviously do some home work, ie  read this site,, talk to folk  and make decissions ,, they dont just  sigh will nilly

Like this is the only football forum that has a go at the players.

Get real FFS.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 3, 2015, 6:52pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from BIGChris

I would imagine there are many players who would make a real difference to our team that would come for a lot less than that.

If the owner wont/cant pay for the better players to come here but still feels the budget is "competitive" then fair enough, but if they are not coming then it isn't competitive enough is it?

We are where we are, with the owner we have and we just have to hope that the manager can get us up with "competitive" but not the best players, available.  
Posted by: ginnywings, January 3, 2015, 6:55pm; Reply: 55
I've always thought we should be looking further afield for players. Don't know what the practicalities are but there seems to be loads of players in this country of a certain standard to choose from and if you want someone with a bit more about them, they choose the league or are out of our price range at this level.

We seem to be stuck in a never ending cycle of mediocrity.
Posted by: Maringer, January 3, 2015, 7:04pm; Reply: 56
FGR are paying an arm and a leg which is obviously tempting for them, but Nailsworth is also just down the road from Bristol which is a nice city and other decent towns are nearby. Obviously, money is most important for a player, but as BIGChris notes, it's not a bad part of the world to live in either.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 3, 2015, 7:06pm; Reply: 57
Rumour on twitter that Lincoln could be making a bid for Disley. Like I said only a rumour. I know that there new manager (who is also a director) has said he is prepared to dip into his own pocket. Cant see it but you never know.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 3, 2015, 7:15pm; Reply: 58
Didn't someone say we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league? Hardly peanuts.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 3, 2015, 7:15pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from 1739
Rumour on twitter that Lincoln could be making a bid for Disley. Like I said only a rumour. I know that there new manager (who is also a director) has said he is prepared to dip into his own pocket. Cant see it but you never know.

'Rumour' from 'Agent Barrymore'??
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 3, 2015, 7:20pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Abdul19
Didn't someone say we had the 4th highest wage bill in the league? Hardly peanuts.

And the second highest attendances.
Posted by: LH, January 3, 2015, 7:22pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from BIGChris

'Rumour' from 'Agent Barrymore'??

I searched for Aaron Rattray before seeing that CA had tweeted someone actually called @agentbarrymoore!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 4, 2015, 12:28am; Reply: 62
If we were in the championship and trying to attract players I could see why it would be difficult to attract players. But at our level players should be jumping at the chance . Within reason .
Posted by: Neilo83, January 4, 2015, 8:45am; Reply: 63
We seem to curse players at the minute, either they have recently done well somewhere, we get our hands on them and they do shite here, or we let someone go cuz they're not good enough, they then go somewhere else (same level or higher) and they do well..
Posted by: oldun, January 4, 2015, 9:14am; Reply: 64
Bringing new players in on higher wages is not a good idea because of the destabilising effect on existing players. If there is a wage structure then we have to stick to it. It is different if the parent club from a higher league will pick up the difference.
Posted by: Neilo83, January 4, 2015, 10:32am; Reply: 65
Quoted from SamTheMariner
Apparently Hannah is on 2k a week and Winfarrah £800 to sit in the stands. Money needs to be spent better in my opinion.

Wouldn't of thought either would be on that much surely?
Posted by: BIGChris, January 4, 2015, 10:40am; Reply: 66
Apparently Hannah is on 2k a week and Winfarrah £800 to sit in the stands. Money needs to be spent better in my opinion.

I can assure you that you are completely and utterly wrong.

Not even close. Do you seriously think anyone at GTFC is on anything like £2k a week?
Posted by: Garth, January 4, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 67

Dream on
Posted by: Neilo83, January 4, 2015, 11:22am; Reply: 68
I'd say that hannah was closer to the £800 per week, and is probably one of the top earners
Posted by: Abdul19, January 4, 2015, 12:39pm; Reply: 69
After the Charlie I'Anson furore, do you really think a first year pro is on £800 a week?  ;D
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 4, 2015, 1:45pm; Reply: 70

Why post something so obviously bollox ?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 5, 2015, 10:36am; Reply: 71
It's a bit difficult to see what Hurst will do about new players. The side needs goals, goals and more goals and in a normal universe that would mean a new striker. He obviously rates LJL head and shoulders above any other striker in the league so he won't want to replace him. So that leaves a replacement for Pittman does it?

Or are we looking for wingers? He's had three goes at finding a goalscoring winger already and then signed another he immediately let go to Boston so what's going on there? Or midfield? Brown and Clay started well enough to enthuse a lot of supporters but now are sliding in the popularity stakes as midfield becomes a minefield. So, another midfielder? Creative? Paddy was supposed to provide creativity but he's disappearing as well. Tackling? More likely I'd have thought. He will want a holding midfielder so he doesn't have to play a full back there.

The biggest problem though is that nobody knows what his style/system actually is. One minute he wants players comfortable on the ball and a passing game then the next they are launching it up to LJL. Wingers who used to have a go at full backs are now happier cutting inside or getting rid early.

I said an another thread that looking back through the highlights of the games is instructive and it is quite obvious that there is no consistent pattern to how the side plays. I'd even include the Gateshead and Alfreton games in that because several goals owed more to suicidal defending than to Town's inventive attacking. The only clear plus point is the back 4 that looks solid when they are all fit. Winning needs goals though and it is far from clear how Hurst expects to achieve them whatever his signings.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 5, 2015, 10:42am; Reply: 72
The question is what we need compared to what Hurst will get. We didn't get Bogle, Jennings, Boden, Moult and Jolley because they knew of Hurst's negative tactics and they won't socre as many goals as we should in an ideal world. Our strikers would be Lenny, Akinde, Bogle and Moult in my opinion. My fear is he'll let Watson go and sign Parslow until the end of the season. We need quality cover at centre half (Boyce), a striker who has pace and can score, and a midfielder who can ping the ball around and put a beautiful ball in the box from a set play. Then I will be more confident. However, am I confident Hurst will want to or be able to sign these players? NO!
Posted by: Maringer, January 5, 2015, 10:56am; Reply: 73
The question is what we need compared to what Hurst will get. We didn't get Bogle, Jennings, Boden, Moult and Jolley because they knew of Hurst's negative tactics and they won't socre as many goals as we should in an ideal world. Our strikers would be Lenny, Akinde, Bogle and Moult in my opinion.

Nurse! NURSE!
Posted by: Mariners_15, January 5, 2015, 11:42am; Reply: 74
Paddy is still yet to be given a decent run in the side. Give him a few games to show what he can do, not just one game then drop him again. I really do believe we've got a player in Paddy, can anyone remember the video when he first joined? Yes it was mostly from youth and reserve football at Newcastle but he clearly has massive ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGhcTBp_n74
Posted by: ackomariner, January 5, 2015, 11:54am; Reply: 75
Quoted from Mariners_15
Paddy is still yet to be given a decent run in the side. Give him a few games to show what he can do, not just one game then drop him again. I really do believe we've got a player in Paddy, can anyone remember the video when he first joined? Yes it was mostly from youth and reserve football at Newcastle but he clearly has massive ability.

He is a good player but never really been given the chance by hurst, and if he has it's nearly always out of postiton.
Got to play to the players strengths, and give them a run in the side
Posted by: SamTheMariner, January 5, 2015, 12:05pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Mariners_15

Paddy's best position would be in a three in midfield with Disley and Brown to do the tackling, tracking back, and then let Paddy create chances for Lenny and probably Disley as well.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 5, 2015, 12:10pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from ackomariner

He is a good player but never really been given the chance by hurst, and if he has it's nearly always out of postiton.
Got to play to the players strengths, and give them a run in the side

Seems to me that Hurst wants all central midfield players to be able to run, tackle, sit in, kick lumps off and track back. Failure to do any one of these means demotion. Creativity doesn't figure in the equation.
Posted by: rancido, January 5, 2015, 2:01pm; Reply: 78
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so if this has been posted before then sorry. When PH assembled his squad last summer, apart from another striker, he seemed to be happy with what he had to succeed this season. Admittedly we had to sign Boyce temporarily as cover for suspensions but basically the main components were there. He gives three ex YT lads pro contracts but doesn't use them - why? If they were signed as cover then why weren't they utilised when cover was required. Instead he brings in loanees and leaves these lads on the bench. That represents approximately 14% of the playing staff using up valuable wages. I know these lads won't be on great money but their combined wages could have been used to fund one half decent regular player. He now says he wants to strengthen the squad which, in my eyes anyway, demonstrates he got it wrong in the first place. We don't have a reserve team so any fringe players are never going to get the chance to impress PH apart from putting in regular decent stints on the training pitch. I don't agree with the Chairmen/ Board interfering with the squad selection because that is the managers job but if I was JF then I would certainly have a word in PH's ear and explain why we signed 3 players and have not utilised them apart from keeping the match bench warm!
I'm rapidly beginning to lose faith in PH's ability to produce a promotion winning team. He seems quite able to get a decent squad together but doesn't seem able to get the best out of them. You only have to look down the A46 to see how a manager with very little managerial pedigree can turn a squad around especially after their result against Barnet. Now I don't know who we could get to replace PH but if we don't get promoted this season then the Board will have to replace him because he will completely lose what little support he has from the fans and I'm sure the summer ST sales will reflect this if he isn't replaced.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), January 6, 2015, 11:20pm; Reply: 79
Interesting to see Matty Blair has returned back to Fleetwood from his spell at Cambridge. I would certainly have him here and he is that creative winger we could do with, don't think he quite cut it in the league but he has a proven record when York went up and scored some vital goals to win the trophy and gain promotion. He will know Doig, Paddy, Parslow, Brown and a few of the other lads and hopefully Pondy could put in a good word for us. But we will sign a defender despite us having the best defence in the league.
Posted by: ackomariner, January 7, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 80
Quoted from rancido
I haven't read all the posts on this thread so if this has been posted before then sorry. When PH assembled his squad last summer, apart from another striker, he seemed to be happy with what he had to succeed this season. Admittedly we had to sign Boyce temporarily as cover for suspensions but basically the main components were there. He gives three ex YT lads pro contracts but doesn't use them - why? If they were signed as cover then why weren't they utilised when cover was required. Instead he brings in loanees and leaves these lads on the bench. That represents approximately 14% of the playing staff using up valuable wages. I know these lads won't be on great money but their combined wages could have been used to fund one half decent regular player. He now says he wants to strengthen the squad which, in my eyes anyway, demonstrates he got it wrong in the first place. We don't have a reserve team so any fringe players are never going to get the chance to impress PH apart from putting in regular decent stints on the training pitch. I don't agree with the Chairmen/ Board interfering with the squad selection because that is the managers job but if I was JF then I would certainly have a word in PH's ear and explain why we signed 3 players and have not utilised them apart from keeping the match bench warm!
I'm rapidly beginning to lose faith in PH's ability to produce a promotion winning team. He seems quite able to get a decent squad together but doesn't seem able to get the best out of them. You only have to look down the A46 to see how a manager with very little managerial pedigree can turn a squad around especially after their result against Barnet. Now I don't know who we could get to replace PH but if we don't get promoted this season then the Board will have to replace him because he will completely lose what little support he has from the fans and I'm sure the summer ST sales will reflect this if he isn't replaced.

Excellent post IMO
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 7, 2015, 9:45am; Reply: 81
I said it at the time and unfortunately it has turned out to be correct,that we started the season at least 2 players short.It would appear the Y.T'S were just makeweights to detract from how small the squad was.
Posted by: barralad, January 7, 2015, 11:47am; Reply: 82

Written by someone who will never be expected to part with any significant money (other than match day ticket money). And some think a boycott is the answer...
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 7, 2015, 12:00pm; Reply: 83
Interesting to see, and apologies if already posted, but heard a sniffle about Michael gash being available from kiddy and hurst being interested.
Posted by: BIGChris, January 7, 2015, 1:00pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Interesting to see, and apologies if already posted, but heard a sniffle about Michael gash being available from kiddy and hurst being interested.

Gash has left Kiddy. He is definitely available but may have something lined up.

Personally i've never been over impressed with him but that is only based on a few games over several seasons
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 7, 2015, 1:38pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from barralad

Written by someone who will never be expected to part with any significant money (other than match day ticket money). And some think a boycott is the answer...

If money is a sticking point then the club can do something about that ......... if it (the board) really wants to. For a start it can stop the nonsense of signing squad players and bench warmers who are no better than existing first teamers. It is a case of ambition isn't it?

But I don't think money is always the whole story. There are plenty of decent players in the north and midlands, league and non-league, who would come here if they found the idea attractive. If they liked the way the manager wants to play, they thought he was ambitious for the top spot and they thought they had a good chance of being a first team regular, they would see Grimsby as a good opportunity. If the tale of the twenty odd refusals in the summer is true, that tells its own story and it isn't a simple financial fairy one.
Posted by: acko338, January 7, 2015, 1:55pm; Reply: 86
28 refusals - why?

Sign a player - leave him on the bench, send him back after a month - result - wages spent for nothing !

On the last few weeks' performances, I would have thought that Walker playing on a wing was worth at least a throw for something different !

I just hope that Ollie Palmer gets a chance - have Mansfield insisted he gets games while here ??
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 2:05pm