Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 370 Guests

A bit of perspective.

This thread currently has 7,050 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
December 29, 2014, 9:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Have watched with amazement at the calls for Hurst's head on this forum over the last couple of days. Earlier in the season I put up a posting about percentages of Town games won etc, and doubted whether they had the ability on either this season's form - or any other season in the Conference - to reach the requisite number of points in order to get into the play offs. I'm so glad that I have been proved wrong with those statistics and Town are in a decent position.

We've played 27 games so far, and we had our notorious slow start to the season and after a third of the games had been played we'd won 3, drawn 3, and lost 3. Barnet on the other hand had won 7, drawn 1, and lost 1. In the remaining games since then we have won 10, drawn 5 and lost 3. If we take off Barnet's extra game played they have won 10, drawn 4 and lost 4. Is anybody calling for their manager's head because of such a shocking run, securing one less point than we have?

The internet, and fans forums in particular make it easy for people to vent their wrath on players and managers in the heat of the moment. Perhaps taking a deep breath and looking at things realistically instead might be a good idea?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
December 29, 2014, 10:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Had a night to think things over and,well,, anyone know of any one way trains out of town for him. . clueless  boring  and just wasting  fenty`s money  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 29, 2014, 11:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,507
Gold Stars: 64
Had to put up with my son in law at tea last night who attends nearly every Lincoln match. He emphasised the difference their change in Manager has made in the style and approach of their play with the key part being a " Keegan" type approach of we will outscore you. They certainly got men forward in numbers yesterday and whilst leaving themselves vulnerable at the back were pretty good to watch.

As a number stated yesterday we need a more mobile and quick thinking central midfield and a proper quality wideman. Play Neilson behind the front two, as Power played yesterday, and we may see an upturn. Moyes at the minute seems to dispel the need for a full pro A lcoaching licence but accept its early days. A win over Barnet at the weekend though could really put them in the mix. God life will be unbearable in the local if that happens!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
MarinerWY
December 29, 2014, 11:50am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,938
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from denni266
Had a night to think things over and,well,, anyone know of any one way trains out of town for him. . clueless  boring  and just wasting  fenty`s money  

Any club that sacks a manager after the record we currently have, and the league position we hold, deserves everything they get IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
Marinerz93
December 29, 2014, 12:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MarinerWY

Any club that sacks a manager after the record we currently have, and the league position we hold, deserves everything they get IMO.

So we deserved Mike Neweel, is that what you are saying because AB never got us relegated.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
FishOutOfWater
December 29, 2014, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MarinerWY

On the other hand there is the argument that says if the club maintain the current status quo they'll also deserve everything they get - the thing is nobody knows for sure what will happen in 2015

I'm not minded to get rid of Hurst based on a poor result yesterday but to my mind when we got the opener yesterday we didn't go hard enough for the second killer goal and as much as you can't legislate for the worldy they equalised with, I think we could have and should have had them on the rack well before half time

I think that is because he's fostered a mentality such that everyone believes that at '1-0 to the Mariners' it's more or less job done when the evidence yesterday disproves this
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 61
denni266
December 29, 2014, 12:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from MarinerWY

And keeping hold of a manager that takes us nowhere  gets you what you deserve ,,,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
Stevie Saunders
December 29, 2014, 1:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Disley said on RH that we should have been 3-0 up at half time - felt we should have closed down their wonder goal..but that is the view of a team that has conceded; you can't close down everything and the opposition are entitled to a shot now and then!
Know what he means though - when we go 1-0 up never at any time this season (other than Dartford/Alfreton) do we look like we will rip a team apart (people will say Gateshead but truth is that could have been 12-12!)
Perhaps Hurst is not the man to take us out of this league...I don't know, no-one knows... time will tell; if Fenty and board feel the 'realistic' ambition is play offs then he's doing a decent job and must stay IMO.

Goals, goals, and more goals are what we need and I'm afraid we just don't score enough when we are on top - Lincoln are one of the highest scorers in league and have conceded about as many...but are only 8pts behind us with game in hand. I know what I'd rather watch.

We are perfect for winning a dour, drab game 1-0 away from home.. as we have proved several times

And don't hold your breath - there will not be ANY goal machines in the transfer window... so we go with what we have which will not mean a title challenge but might get us over the line into play offs

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
grimsby pete
December 29, 2014, 1:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Good points by Jock,

Regarding the sacking of Hurst,

I do not think posters are calling for his head just because we lost to Lincoln,

Most of the moaners and I am sad to say I have become one of them,

Want a change because of the boring football played under Hurst,

Plus every time we get a decent gate at home the team let the fans down every time,

The gate on News Years Day will be half of the Lincoln one and most of the ones that stay away will not come back for a long time,

Hurst is happy with boring 1-0 wins but the fans want a bit more than that.

We are stuck with him until the end of the season imo,

So we just have to live in hope he can get a couple of players in that can change things for the better.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
RoboCod
December 29, 2014, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I don't think anyone will hold their breath over the transfer window with Paul Hurst, particularly this year. A NYD game against a team who will be out to avenge the defeat from last week and another dismal dabble, at best, in the loan market followed by a blank Saturday due to a Town cup 'run' that if you blinked you'd have missed.
Still. the John Lewis ad will keep us all chuckling.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.