Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 413 Guests

A bit of perspective.

This thread currently has 7,052 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 29, 2014, 7:45pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Sussexmariner

How did these teams do against the lesser teams of that division in their respective promotional years?

slightly better than town I'm sure

Although Town lost the odd game (mainly at home) to "strugglers" Town had pretty good records against the lower teams-particularly in Hearns full season. It was the better teams that we couldn't beat....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 61
barralad
December 29, 2014, 7:56pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

really...........i thought the anger directed towards hurst on here was because most of us on here can see we will be playing the gimps next xmas time

Hardly justifies the abuse he's received for yesterday's performance. Forced to play without the quickest defender we have. (I didn't read too many comments pre-match suggesting playing Doig in there instead of Parslow) Question marks over the fitness of a central midfielder who would've enjoyed that sort of match and then losing two players to injury thus significantly reducing his options for tactical substitutions.
Given the players we have you couldn't have asked for a much more attacking line up than one which includes Pitman, Arnold LJL and Neilson (with Mackreth a reasonably attacking deputiser). Some of the forward play was a joy to watch-particularly in the first half and particularly from Pitman. Yet we've had criticism that we played hopeful hoofs to a lone striker! I believe the terms are WTF and FFS
One of their goals was a "worldie" the other two were defensive errors and were contributed to significantly by the enforced changing of personnel. As I said elsewhere the Lincoln lad knew exactly what he was doing on Magnay....
Sometimes you just have to accept that it ain't your day but, as always on here, the blame culture is a thriving entity and what better scapegoat than the manager...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 29, 2014, 8:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from barralad

Although Town lost the odd game (mainly at home) to "strugglers" Town had pretty good records against the lower teams-particularly in Hearns full season. It was the better teams that we couldn't beat....

Doesn't this prove my point about the total inconsistency over the seasons of Hurst management?

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 61
barralad
December 29, 2014, 8:14pm
Mariners Trust

Doesn't this prove my point about the total inconsistency over the seasons of Hurst management?

My reply was to your longish post which didn't appear to mention inconsistency. It mentioned several "attributes" Hurst doesn't have without elaborating much. It's my view that every one of the points you made is at least moot.

Incidentally it is only fair to look at Hurst for the time he has been in sole charge. There is no way of knowing whether he'd have done the same as the pair of them did when they were in charge

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 61
forza ivano
December 29, 2014, 8:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from barralad

Hardly justifies the abuse he's received for yesterday's performance. Forced to play without the quickest defender we have. (I didn't read too many comments pre-match suggesting playing Doig in there instead of Parslow) Question marks over the fitness of a central midfielder who would've enjoyed that sort of match and then losing two players to injury thus significantly reducing his options for tactical substitutions.
Given the players we have you couldn't have asked for a much more attacking line up than one which includes Pitman, Arnold LJL and Neilson (with Mackreth a reasonably attacking deputiser). Some of the forward play was a joy to watch-particularly in the first half and particularly from Pitman. Yet we've had criticism that we played hopeful hoofs to a lone striker! I believe the terms are WTF and FFS
One of their goals was a "worldie" the other two were defensive errors and were contributed to significantly by the enforced changing of personnel. As I said elsewhere the Lincoln lad knew exactly what he was doing on Magnay....
Sometimes you just have to accept that it ain't your day but, as always on here, the blame culture is a thriving entity and what better scapegoat than the manager...

Can't disagree with this.nobody has mentioned how many excellent saves Farman made.one of those games where nothing really broke for us .didnt help having 2 of our main players hobbling and unable to contribute after the first fifteen minutes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 29, 2014, 11:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

My reply was to your longish post which didn't appear to mention inconsistency. It mentioned several "attributes" Hurst doesn't have without elaborating much. It's my view that every one of the points you made is at least moot.

Incidentally it is only fair to look at Hurst for the time he has been in sole charge. There is no way of knowing whether he'd have done the same as the pair of them did when they were in charge

I'm tired of people defending Hurst after all the time he's had to build a team to take our football club out of this league. See you all in the play-offs and in the conference next season

Hurst out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 61
barralad
December 30, 2014, 8:20am
Mariners Trust

I'm tired of people defending Hurst after all the time he's had to build a team to take our football club out of this league. See you all in the play-offs and in the conference next season

And I'm tired of the same unsubstantiated criticism of a manager who currently has a team in the top four of the league with nearly half the season to play so I guess that makes us quits  

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 61
Paris Mariner
December 30, 2014, 12:07pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
A thread which was opened in a sane manner so I'll post my reaction here.

Firstly, obviously majorly disappointed to lose v Lincoln in the derby.

Secondly, we weren't as bad as many have portrayed. Their keeper and two centre halves had a blinder and a fair bit of luck. The ball just seemed to stick them. When we scored, we were comfortable then we had 5 minutes of madness. The third goal came on the break when we were very much on top.

The bloke behind me was criticising McKreath all game and I though he was our best player for the second home game running. He's improved a lot and was a constant threat to Lincoln. I thought the ref bottled 3 big decisions - two free kicks around their box where there should have been a free kick and wasn't and a booking that never came. And the third was for a second yellow for the lad they subbed immediately afterwards but we can't blame him.

We were second to most of the second balls which was particularly evident in first 20 as Lincoln settled much better.

If you were a neutral at that game you'd have come away feeling like you'd been to a cracking local derby. Fair play to Lincoln.

People do need a reality check though. We've been in the top 5 for for most of the season and Barnett are well within reach considering we're yet to play them.

I do agree Parslow needs to go back. He's not good enough.

My main two criticisms of Hurst are this: we are terribly uninventive at set plays and his substitutions aren't quick or positive enough. When we went 3-1 down he should have changed it straight away. Attacker on, go for it. This is a regular occurrence.

Sacking him is no good, I think that is 2 in 13/14 we've lost in the league. That's not a sackable offence.

I heard someone on the way out saying Nielsen is off in January. This would be extremely disappointing. In the FA Trophy I'd like to see him play in the hole behind the front two again as against Gateshead and Alfreton earlier in the season as it seemed to work well and is a good opportunity to get him fitter and experiment. If he's able to play.

Up The Mariners

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 30, 2014, 12:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

And I'm tired of the same unsubstantiated criticism of a manager who currently has a team in the top four of the league with nearly half the season to play so I guess that makes us quits  

His job is to get us promoted FFS not finish in the the top four, unlike Arsene Wenger Hurst hasn't got the Champions league to look forward to.

And as a matter of interest how many seasons of failure (can we agree his sole job is to get us out of this league) do you say enough is enough?

Hurst out
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 61
promotion plaice
December 30, 2014, 12:36pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,954
Gold Stars: 189

His job is to get us promoted FFS not finish in the the top four, unlike Arsene Wenger Hurst hasn't got the Champions league to look forward to.

And as a matter of interest how many seasons of failure (can we agree his sole job is to get us out of this league) do you say enough is enough?

This one.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.