Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 120 Guests

A bit of perspective.

This thread currently has 7,070 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
December 30, 2014, 12:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Sussexmariner

His job is to get us promoted FFS not finish in the the top four, unlike Arsene Wenger Hurst hasn't got the Champions league to look forward to.

And as a matter of interest how many seasons of failure (can we agree his sole job is to get us out of this league) do you say enough is enough?

I'd day he's got this year to do it, although he might get another crack next season if we were particularly unlucky in the play off final. my worry is after watching town yet again fail to perform on the big stage is that they'll cruise into the play offs and fail again once the pressure is on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 30, 2014, 2:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from forza ivano

I'd day he's got this year to do it, although he might get another crack next season if we were particularly unlucky in the play off final. my worry is after watching town yet again fail to perform on the big stage is that they'll cruise into the play offs and fail again once the pressure is on

Agree but luck shouldn't come into it, the team best prepared, motivated etc tend to win the play offs

I keep harping on about how history tells us Hurst will get us to the play offs and when the pressure is on, we fail. this season mirrors last season (including the big home games with a big crowd when a good win would really get the fans behind the team and Hurst and kick on for the rest of the season) so there is absolutely no reason not to think the same will happen again

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
Eastendmariner
December 30, 2014, 2:31pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
I have been watching Town for 42 years spent thousands of my hard earned dosh one thing that really annoys me is not getting the basics right and incompetant management

I don't mind a defeat it's the way we lose  play off potential we are but we need to go that step futher lets hope the players can prove us wrong   Jan and Feb are gooing to be interesting

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Rick12
December 30, 2014, 2:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Had to put up with my son in law at tea last night who attends nearly every Lincoln match. He emphasised the difference their change in Manager has made in the style and approach of their play with the key part being a " Keegan" type approach of we will outscore you. They certainly got men forward in numbers yesterday and whilst leaving themselves vulnerable at the back were pretty good to watch.

!!
Managers do make a different your right.Think Hurst like Ive mentioned before is a likeable enough guy amongst the group of players though his motivational skills maybe lacking

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
barralad
December 30, 2014, 3:08pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Rick12
Managers do make a different your right.Think Hurst like Ive mentioned before is a likeable enough guy amongst the group of players though his motivational skills maybe lacking

I keep reading this. Could someone please point out to me the evidence that he is unable to motivate the current squad?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
headingly_mariner
December 30, 2014, 3:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,314
Gold Stars: 113
I was pretty disappointed on Saturday, thought we were cruising and would get a few before that wonder goal changed the game. We had plenty of chances but they put theirs away at the right time. I like hurst and think he's doing a good job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
Marinerz93
December 30, 2014, 4:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from barralad

I keep reading this. Could someone please point out to me the evidence that he is unable to motivate the current squad?

Playing at BP, I see very little motivation in the players to bring back the crowds we are capable of pulling.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Rick12
December 30, 2014, 5:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from barralad

Way he comes across in interviews at times doesn't exactly inspire motivation.Having said that I will stand by him in that I think he is reasonable guy and that counts for a lot in football as in life which is why I hope he can prove me and others wrong in getting us promotion

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
grimsby pete
December 30, 2014, 5:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from barralad

Have you ever seen Hurst rant and rave from the touchline Ian ?

He does not even kick a water bottle  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
TAGG
December 30, 2014, 5:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from jock dock tower
Have watched with amazement at the calls for Hurst's head on this forum over the last couple of days. Earlier in the season I put up a posting about percentages of Town games won etc, and doubted whether they had the ability on either this season's form - or any other season in the Conference - to reach the requisite number of points in order to get into the play offs. I'm so glad that I have been proved wrong with those statistics and Town are in a decent position.

We've played 27 games so far, and we had our notorious slow start to the season and after a third of the games had been played we'd won 3, drawn 3, and lost 3. Barnet on the other hand had won 7, drawn 1, and lost 1. In the remaining games since then we have won 10, drawn 5 and lost 3. If we take off Barnet's extra game played they have won 10, drawn 4 and lost 4. Is anybody calling for their manager's head because of such a shocking run, securing one less point than we have?

The internet, and fans forums in particular make it easy for people to vent their wrath on players and managers in the heat of the moment. Perhaps taking a deep breath and looking at things realistically instead might be a good idea?

"Perhaps taking a deep breath and looking at things realistically instead might be a good idea?"
Having taken your advice I have decided (after going to every game this season) that if there is no reaction from Hurst and his team on NYD I will start picking my games.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.