Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

A bit of perspective.

This thread currently has 7,088 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TonySmith
December 29, 2014, 5:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
I am sick and tired of the predictable "Hurst out " rants on here every time we lose a game. I want to see us back in the football league as much as anyone, but changing the manager now is a laughable idea. If a new guy comes in, will you want another change of manager when he loses a game or two? I do agree that there will be decisions to make at the end of this season if it doesn't end well, but for now, give it a rest!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 61
BIGChris
December 29, 2014, 5:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Sussexmariner

It's quite clear that Hurst hasn't got what it takes to get a football team out of this league, by the signings he makes, the style of football, his tactical awareness  or his motivational skills. Look at the recent teams to get automatic promotion out the the conference, Luton, Crawley, Fleetwood, all stormed the league with attacking fast paced football and compare that to the utter dross we put up with. Yes we grind out those away1-0 wins but the way Hurst sends out the team particularly at home with this dour, play it safe attitude will get us nowhere and if anyone says how do you know that, I say history has proved this happens to our club all the time Hurst has been here.

Out of interest how many games do you get to from Sussex?
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 61
MuddyWaters
December 29, 2014, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Every season in this league is a season nearer financial meltdown as it's unreasonable to expect Mr Fenty to continue to sustain full time in non league plus it's another season where we would struggle to justify a new stadium. My question remains the same as it has for some time: Does the board believe that Paul Hurst can deliver the promotion that is pretty much essential for the sustainable future of the club?

Our opinion doesn't really matter to be honest!
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 29, 2014, 6:45pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from BIGChris

Out of interest how many games do you get to from Sussex?

7 at the moment including the bore draws at home against Nuneaton and Dover at the start of the season, the dire 1-1 draw away to dartford and I was there to see them grind a good result against Braintree and I'll be at Blundell park for the Macclesfield game. admittedly I haven't been to the games where we've done really well i.e. Gateshead and Alferton but I consider myself to seen enough of town this season and the season before that and the season before that to pass judgement on this manager who I believe will not get this club to where we should be,  genuine contender to get automatic promotion from this division

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 61
barralad
December 29, 2014, 6:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from moosey_club

We didnt apear to have too many options on the bench because we havnt got a decent enough squad, end of. We are weaker in numbers than last season and arguably in quality.
We have three misperforming wingers on the books, Arnold has looked awful in the last few games, Makreth offers nothing over Coulbeck and Neilson flatters to deceive more often than not.
None of the three wide men are commanding a place on form, two of them get in and one will always be sub and in all honesty can anyone say either of them has "owned" their place this season?
Same in the striking positions, two are currently playing so one is guaranteed to be sub, the only time that changes is when we play one up and we will get two on the bench.
Centre midfield, its perm any two from three of Disley, Clay, Brown with the other one on the bench as Paddy doesnt get a look in normally, he only appeared yesterday for 10 mins due to illness and injury forcing the manager to put him on. Currently Disley is the only one playing anything like a sure starter.
And yesterday Bignot finally gets a look in after injury and suspensions finally whittle us down to the manager having to play him, hardly the easiest game to make your first(?) significant appearance of the season having done everything previously to avoid using him.
All the while two loanee/short contract players not even on the bench to aid the attacking line up.

I have some sympathy with the opening sentences but in my view it is the reality of a fifth season in this league when we haven't got seemingly unlimited resources a la Forest Green, Eastleigh and Bristol Rovers. We are fourth and I think I read somewhere that we have the fourth biggest budget in the league (although I'm open to that view being challenged).
I would strongly dispute that we needed the attack to be beefed up yesterday. We had LJL, Pitman Arnold and (initially) Neilson. I cannot be bothered to look at any Team for Lincoln thread but I suspect most people would've gone with that. Add to that the fact that none of us know what the risks were in playing some of the starting line up due to ongoing injuries/illnesses which would have made Hurst think about who to have on the bench and the decision to leave them out looks at least OK. Seeing as how Hurst was forced into changes leaving him little room for tactical switches I'm glad the cover for Neilson and Magnay was on the bench.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 61
barralad
December 29, 2014, 6:57pm
Mariners Trust

This isn't for the last few days or the "heat of the moment" it's been nearly 3 seasons!

I'm sick and tired of people saying all this is a "knee jerk reaction" after a bad defeat and the fans wanting Hurst to go should look at the bigger picture, Jesus Christ thats what we have been doing for 3 years!!

It's quite clear that Hurst hasn't got what it takes to get a football team out of this league, by the signings he makes, the style of football, his tactical awareness  or his motivational skills. Look at the recent teams to get automatic promotion out the the conference, Luton, Crawley, Fleetwood, all stormed the league with attacking fast paced football and compare that to the utter dross we put up with. Yes we grind out those away1-0 wins but the way Hurst sends out the team particularly at home with this dour, play it safe attitude will get us nowhere and if anyone says how do you know that, I say history has proved this happens to our club all the time Hurst has been here.

The thing that links the teams you've mentioned is lots of money. I've seen all the games involving Town against those three teams and I cannot remember any of them playing fast attacking football. Luton and Crawley definitely ground out results here. Luton only really shone when they realised they needed hard men (McNulty?) in with their ball players and it took them as long as it's currently taken us (although that shouldn't be read that I think we are as good as they were from February onwards last season!!)

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 61
barralad
December 29, 2014, 7:01pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from TonySmith
I am sick and tired of the predictable "Hurst out " rants on here every time we lose a game. I want to see us back in the football league as much as anyone, but changing the manager now is a laughable idea. If a new guy comes in, will you want another change of manager when he loses a game or two? I do agree that there will be decisions to make at the end of this season if it doesn't end well, but for now, give it a rest!

Tony:- As far as some on here are concerned Hurst committed an unforgiveable sin yesterday. He presided over a defeat by "Little" Lincoln. Most of those sounding off were probably in the "Lincoln will be an easy six points again" camp at the beginning of the season. I honestly feel that the flack on here (bordering on hysteria in some cases) is borne out of the embarassment of losing to our local rivals for the second time this season. Sad really!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 61
dapperz fun pub
December 29, 2014, 7:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from barralad

Tony:- As far as some on here are concerned Hurst committed an unforgiveable sin yesterday. He presided over a defeat by "Little" Lincoln. Most of those sounding off were probably in the "Lincoln will be an easy six points again" camp at the beginning of the season. I honestly feel that the flack on here (bordering on hysteria in some cases) is borne out of the embarassment of losing to our local rivals for the second time this season. Sad really!

really...........i thought the anger directed towards hurst on here was because most of us on here can see we will be playing the gimps next xmas time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 61
Sussexmariner
December 29, 2014, 7:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from barralad

The thing that links the teams you've mentioned is lots of money. I've seen all the games involving Town against those three teams and I cannot remember any of them playing fast attacking football. Luton and Crawley definitely ground out results here. Luton only really shone when they realised they needed hard men (McNulty?) in with their ball players and it took them as long as it's currently taken us (although that shouldn't be read that I think we are as good as they were from February onwards last season!!)

How did these teams do against the lesser teams of that division in their respective promotional years?

slightly better than town I'm sure

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 61
dapperz fun pub
December 29, 2014, 7:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82

How did these teams do against the lesser teams of that division in their respective promotional years?

slightly better than town I'm sure

i think crawley are the best team weve played at this level i know we won away and got a point here but it was obvious why they romped the league and imo we havent got anywhere near that sort of level......and yeh i realise they threw a fortune at it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A bit of perspective.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.