chaos33
October 9, 2014, 6:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from GrimRob

In simple words they are One Season Wonders. They'll have a year or two near the top then sink into the mire, Barnet obviously have a big catchment area, they are different to us,

Oh, a year or two now. Rob, you've undermined your own argument in your answer. Halifax appear to be having 2 consecutive good seasons. That's two in two years. One season wonders don't do that by definition. Gateshead too have been consistent contenders. I can't see what Barnet's catchment area has to do with your stance to be honest - you were talking about fans putting money into the club through the turnstiles. Barnet's crowds are not as good as ours.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
psgmariner
October 9, 2014, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Gateshead are massively bankrolled like us. I imagine our budgets are similar. Like halifax they also have a geographical advantage in that they are close to big cities.

Most importantly though those two teams have excellent non league managers, unlike us.

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2014, 6:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimRob

I should explain myself when I said that I fear we'll sink lower. It's not that I don't have faith in the board to turn things around but to do so requires the fans to keep faith in the board over a long period. If the fans lose faith in the board then either the board will pull the plug citing lack of interest or they will lower the budget to such an extent that we'll sink lower because we don't have the money to mount a challenge on the league.

Maybe a new messiah will emerge or we'll get lucky and assemble a squad for peanuts in the future which hit the jackpot in one magical season but I am not banking on it,

How long is a long period? Hasn't he had long enough? When will the tide turn?

More questions than answers, as usual.

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
GrimRob
October 9, 2014, 9:33am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How long is a long period? Hasn't he had long enough? When will the tide turn?

More questions than answers, as usual.

Ten years. I think the tide already has turned, we've been in the play-offs for the last two years. It might take as ten or even fifteen attempts to get promoted, some of those years we might not even reach the play-offs but it's a long term project, there's no avoiding it. There is no simple fix, other than giving up then you don't have to worry about it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 54
cannylad68
October 9, 2014, 10:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GrimRob

I should explain myself when I said that I fear we'll sink lower. It's not that I don't have faith in the board to turn things around but to do so requires the fans to keep faith in the board over a long period. If the fans lose faith in the board then either the board will pull the plug citing lack of interest or they will lower the budget to such an extent that we'll sink lower because we don't have the money to mount a challenge on the league.

Maybe a new messiah will emerge or we'll get lucky and assemble a squad for peanuts in the future which hit the jackpot in one magical season but I am not banking on it,

Rob,
       Why is the size of the budget always quoted in these discussions?
       The size of the budget doesn't guarantee anything.
       I'm sure that the budget was hardly touched when all the local lads were in the first team. Using the budget wisely is what matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.