6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
October 8, 2014, 9:12pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from gtfc98

Is it that gobshite Gary Glitter lookalike who sits in the Upper Findus? Does my f-ing nut in.

I know the guy you mean. Looks like Hans Moleman off The Simpsons.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
fishkeeper
October 8, 2014, 9:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136

Eh?

The fans (up until last night in terms of numbers) have stayed loyal and our average attendances even in the Conference would not be out of place in League 2 or some in League 1.

Its the other way round isn't it - the people of Grimsby deserves a team to be in the League and the fans have not contributed in any way shape or form to our demise. Many clubs with fewer fans are higher in the pyramid than us.

Clubs that are well managed tend to do well overall, regardless of fan base, and those that are mismanaged (from the Boardroom I mean) stagnate.

Guess which category we fall into Rob?

Its not even as if we had one unlucky season and fell out of the League either is it? A couple of relegations and a near miss should have warned us!!

Its so obvious that years of decline are down to our Board. I have had a lot of sympathy for all the managers weve had in the last 10 years as they have done the best they can, but the Club is in a stranglehold of people (one in particular) that has the Midas touch in reverse. We are in Non League because we deserve to be through years of mistakes, dithering and complacency while most of the football world have overtaken us.

Take the scales from your eyes Rob, unless something changes from the very top, nothing will fundamentally change.

As an aside I thought we played very well last night ( with regard to the level we are playing at) but we are 2 proper strikers short of a decent team. If a "competitive budget" isn't attracting them, then its not "competitive" enough is it?    

great reply
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
fishkeeper
October 8, 2014, 9:23pm
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
Quoted from LH

I know the guy you mean. Looks like Hans Moleman off The Simpsons.

does he sit in the 60`s half way up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
GrimRob
October 8, 2014, 11:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

We need to look at the Gatesheed model, 1,200 and 2nd,  Halifax 1,600 and 3rd, Macclesfield are 3 points above us and in their last game they played Barnet (Top) in front of 1,200.  We have twice the support of these clubs and even potentially three to four times the support.

Our support isn't the fans fault it is dire football at BP, the lack of winning at BP, the lack of intelligence to break down the dregs of this festering barrel of crap at BP.  Our budget comes from BP not away games when we play the dog and duck, the players should be going all out at BP.

The fans backed the club to stay in the league but it was the players who let us down and it is the players and manager letting us down again, that's why the attendance is dropping, we haven't got what we have deserved for over 10 years.

Good point but the most important factor of all is money. You will always find teams in this division who haven't got much money but are having a good season. But they'll never sustain it for more than the odd season or two. If the attendance drops and our income falls then it will make it a lot harder. If we go to the model of clubs like the ones you mention then we'll have the odd good season interspersed by mainly poor ones, and the odd relegation fight,

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 54
GrimRob
October 8, 2014, 11:30pm

Eh?

The fans (up until last night in terms of numbers) have stayed loyal and our average attendances even in the Conference would not be out of place in League 2 or some in League 1.

Its the other way round isn't it - the people of Grimsby deserves a team to be in the League and the fans have not contributed in any way shape or form to our demise. Many clubs with fewer fans are higher in the pyramid than us.

Clubs that are well managed tend to do well overall, regardless of fan base, and those that are mismanaged (from the Boardroom I mean) stagnate.

Guess which category we fall into Rob?

Its not even as if we had one unlucky season and fell out of the League either is it? A couple of relegations and a near miss should have warned us!!

Its so obvious that years of decline are down to our Board. I have had a lot of sympathy for all the managers weve had in the last 10 years as they have done the best they can, but the Club is in a stranglehold of people (one in particular) that has the Midas touch in reverse. We are in Non League because we deserve to be through years of mistakes, dithering and complacency while most of the football world have overtaken us.

Take the scales from your eyes Rob, unless something changes from the very top, nothing will fundamentally change.

As an aside I thought we played very well last night ( with regard to the level we are playing at) but we are 2 proper strikers short of a decent team. If a "competitive budget" isn't attracting them, then its not "competitive" enough is it?    

Rubbish I am afraid. Given that we are in this division it is incredibly hard to get out, it doesn't matter how much money we have and who is chairman and manager, it's always going to be very very hard. Too many people underestimate how hard it is and expect us to storm the league like Rangers in Scottish League Two playing Total Football along the way and sweeping aside all these minnows. It's Fantasy Football I am afraid.

If there's a change at the top as a few wish, and there's a complete change of ownership then we'll be heading down the league not up because the only real hope we have of getting up is a competitive budget that comes with the owner we have now or someone with a comparable purse. Changing the manager might help, yes it might, but I don't think our supporters have the patience to see it through for the four or five seasons we need to give someone to get promoted. Within a few months the accusations will start flying again because we are expecting to fly to the moon.

Basically though I think we are shafted. I cannot see a solution. Sorry.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 44 - 54
chaos33
October 8, 2014, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Rob, can you please explain how Halifax and Gateshead fit into that theory? Even Woking? What were Barnet's crowds like last season, and what are they getting through the turnstiles this year?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
GrimRob
October 8, 2014, 11:34pm

Quoted from chaos33
Rob, can you please explain how Halifax and Gateshead fit into that theory? Even Woking? What were Barnet's crowds like last season, and what are they getting through the turnstiles this year?

In simple words they are One Season Wonders. They'll have a year or two near the top then sink into the mire, Barnet obviously have a big catchment area, they are different to us,

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 46 - 54
Quagmire
October 8, 2014, 11:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +929
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

If by the regime you mean our majority shareholder, then I support him because nobody has ever presented a viable Plan B.

Yes, I do mean the clubs majority shareholder.  Mike Parker is proof of someone interested in putting money into the club (in the form of shares not loans I might add) who nobody had heard of until it was announced that he was joining the board.  

Just because someone hasn't had 'Plan B' splashed all over the GT doesn't mean there isn't a Plan B out there.  I'm absolutely certain that if Fenty was to walk away from the club that there are individuals out there who would come forward to drive the club onwards.

Quoted from GrimRob

The last two years have seen us improve

Where is the improvement? We're still a non-league side, in arguably a worse position than when we first entered this division, having racked up more debt, where is there any improvement?

Quoted from GrimRob

I fear we are about to plunge down a further level.

So you not only have zero confidence in our majority shareholder to turn the club around but also feel that he will drag us even further down the football pyramid?

Whilst John Fenty remains at the club our decline will continue, it's as simple as that.

Cod Almighty nailed it today:

"People often ask me what happened to Grimsby and why we're where we are. And I think I'm right in saying that every Town fan has the same stock response.

I've said this before, and by 'eck I'll say it again; if this wasn't a football club but a business in another discipline where by the board were answerable to the shareholders, whoever was in charge when this ship started sinking would not be in charge. However, this ship has sunk so badly that we're so firmly nestled in the bed that nobody wants to touch us.

Yeah, we make the odd movement here and there – but nothing big enough to make a difference. This may sound like some pathetic Russell Brand speech to rally the troops, but devoid of any context, but something needs to happen and if it doesn't happen soon, we'll have no troops. Just look at last night's attendence. Ouch.

Scott Neilson is answerable to Paul Hurst, Paul Hurst is answerable to the board of directors. At the moment, that's where it ends.

Someone, soon, needs to accept responsibility for what is happening to the club – our club – because if this keeps going on for much longer, there might not be a club."

Source: http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5154

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
GrimRob
October 8, 2014, 11:47pm

Quoted from Quagmire

So you not only have zero confidence in our majority shareholder to turn the club around but also feel that he will drag us even further down the football pyramid?

I should explain myself when I said that I fear we'll sink lower. It's not that I don't have faith in the board to turn things around but to do so requires the fans to keep faith in the board over a long period. If the fans lose faith in the board then either the board will pull the plug citing lack of interest or they will lower the budget to such an extent that we'll sink lower because we don't have the money to mount a challenge on the league.

Maybe a new messiah will emerge or we'll get lucky and assemble a squad for peanuts in the future which hit the jackpot in one magical season but I am not banking on it,

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 48 - 54
timmo
October 9, 2014, 12:29am
Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
Quoted from Quagmire

nobody wants to touch

I believe (not certain but believable) people have wanted to take over the club. Buy JF out and or work along side. JF hasn't played ball and deals have broken down. Like I say this is just what I've heard.

I'm sure you are more clued up on the situation between JF and mike Parker but wasn't there a fall out and Mr Parker handed x amount of his shares to the supporters trust?

In my eyes this club needs a complete clean out. Otherwise we will be left standing and before long forgotten and even fold.

We are a huge club with great history. People always talk to me about memories of gtfc the other week a Newcastle fan said about when they won the league here and said it was his greatest memory and that it's a shame what's happened to us.

We need to save this great club. JF I thank you for what you've done but please swallow your pride and do what's best for this club.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.