MuddyWaters
October 8, 2014, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from immariner
I'm with Rob and Jock on this. When you signed the psychological contract to be a Grimsby Town supporter did you sign it with the caveat that it only counts when things are going well? Did you f*ck. Smaller attendances means smaller budgets and the likelihood of us staying down here for longer/ceasing to exist grows larger. Any supporter of a lower league club who says they go to watch expecting to be entertained is either a fool or a liar. We go to watch in the hope of seeing our team win. Any mere glimpse of entertaining or attractive football is a rare bonus.

If you want to see this club improve, vote with your feet and turn up to BP.

All fine and good in a rose-tinted world. In reality, it costs me £50 for me and my lad to watch a home game, then I come home, moan like shite, tap the odd comment on here and then listen to the missus tell me what she could have done better with the 50 quid. Sadly, she's right more often than not.

It's an entertainment industry, and if the entertainment isn't there then the floating fans will stay at home. If you get the product right, the punters will return.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
TAGG
October 8, 2014, 8:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from GrimRob
Alternatively the board slash the budget next season to match whatever the attendance drops to. At the moment the budget is for a gate around 3500 but there is nothing to stop us setting one for 2000. We'd have to make people redundant and get lesser players. Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserves.

You think one hell of a lot of your self.
One day you will disappear up your own bottom if you haven't already got lost up Fentys first.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
cmackenzie4
October 8, 2014, 8:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
The thing is though i have Town in my blood and want Town to win every game, some posters seem to think that if you don't want to go we are not true fans, i can't make a lot of games anyway due to working 3 weekends a month (sometimes 4)

For me it's not that we lost to Southport it's in the way we lost and it's becoming a very familiar pattern.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
Marinerz93
October 8, 2014, 8:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
Alternatively the board slash the budget next season to match whatever the attendance drops to. At the moment the budget is for a gate around 3500 but there is nothing to stop us setting one for 2000. We'd have to make people redundant and get lesser players. Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserves.

We need to look at the Gatesheed model, 1,200 and 2nd,  Halifax 1,600 and 3rd, Macclesfield are 3 points above us and in their last game they played Barnet (Top) in front of 1,200.  We have twice the support of these clubs and even potentially three to four times the support.

Our support isn't the fans fault it is dire football at BP, the lack of winning at BP, the lack of intelligence to break down the dregs of this festering barrel of crap at BP.  Our budget comes from BP not away games when we play the dog and duck, the players should be going all out at BP.

The fans backed the club to stay in the league but it was the players who let us down and it is the players and manager letting us down again, that's why the attendance is dropping, we haven't got what we have deserved for over 10 years.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
chaos33
October 8, 2014, 8:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from Marinerz93

We need to look at the Gatesheed model, 1,200 and 2nd,  Halifax 1,600 and 3rd, Macclesfield are 3 points above us and in their last game they played Barnet (Top) in front of 1,200.  We have twice the support of these clubs and even potentially three to four times the support.

Our support isn't the fans fault it is dire football at BP, the lack of winning at BP, the lack of intelligence to break down the dregs of this festering barrel of crap at BP.  Our budget comes from BP not away games when we play the dog and duck, the players should be going all out at BP.

The fans backed the club to stay in the league but it was the players who let us down and it is the players and manager letting us down again, that's why the attendance is dropping, we haven't got what we have deserved for over 10 years.

F*cking-A.  Totally spot on.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
cmackenzie4
October 8, 2014, 8:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Marinerz93

Good post Dave!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
rancido
October 8, 2014, 8:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from TAGG

You think one hell of a lot of your self.
One day you will disappear up your own bottom if you haven't already got lost up Fentys first.

I thought these kind of comments went with the demise of the Old Fishy but it appears not! It's a shame that posters can't stick to reasoned arguments without hurling insults at those who don't see things their way.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
arryarryarry
October 8, 2014, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,942
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Marinerz93

Great post.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
TAGG
October 8, 2014, 9:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from rancido

I thought these kind of comments went with the demise of the Old Fishy but it appears not! It's a shame that posters can't stick to reasoned arguments without hurling insults at those who don't see things their way.

I thought these type of comments went with the old fishy "Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserve"
At least had a go at only one fan GrimRob has managed to have a go at every Town fan.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
October 8, 2014, 9:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GrimRob

Eh?

The fans (up until last night in terms of numbers) have stayed loyal and our average attendances even in the Conference would not be out of place in League 2 or some in League 1.

Its the other way round isn't it - the people of Grimsby deserves a team to be in the League and the fans have not contributed in any way shape or form to our demise. Many clubs with fewer fans are higher in the pyramid than us.

Clubs that are well managed tend to do well overall, regardless of fan base, and those that are mismanaged (from the Boardroom I mean) stagnate.

Guess which category we fall into Rob?

Its not even as if we had one unlucky season and fell out of the League either is it? A couple of relegations and a near miss should have warned us!!

Its so obvious that years of decline are down to our Board. I have had a lot of sympathy for all the managers weve had in the last 10 years as they have done the best they can, but the Club is in a stranglehold of people (one in particular) that has the Midas touch in reverse. We are in Non League because we deserve to be through years of mistakes, dithering and complacency while most of the football world have overtaken us.

Take the scales from your eyes Rob, unless something changes from the very top, nothing will fundamentally change.

As an aside I thought we played very well last night ( with regard to the level we are playing at) but we are 2 proper strikers short of a decent team. If a "competitive budget" isn't attracting them, then its not "competitive" enough is it?    
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendance tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.