Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, October 7, 2014, 11:27pm
Tonights attendance 2535.
I don't know for sure but if there are 2000 season ticket holders and 35 away fans that leaves 500 through the gates.
If that's not a good enough reason for a change of direction (manager) Fenty I don't know what is.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 7, 2014, 11:30pm; Reply: 1
800 @ £10 per head is  £8,000 we have lost in one game,

How longer will Fenty allow this to happen. ?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, October 7, 2014, 11:30pm; Reply: 2
This is ultimately what will do for Hurst, that's about £10k less in the coffers than last week, you can get a lot of striker for £10000 a week.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 8, 2014, 7:52am; Reply: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
800 @ £10 per head is  £8,000 we have lost in one game,

How longer will Fenty allow this to happen. ?

Most of the missing fans would have been paying £16 or £18 last night.

We had 3700 for the first couple of games, so a drop of 1200 since the start of the season.

I know 2 people who went last night with free tickets given to them by disgruntled ST holders. They wouldn't have gone otherwise.
Posted by: Garth, October 8, 2014, 11:24am; Reply: 4
Its all about money in the end whoever you are tick tock, tick tock, ----He`s behind you(eek)(eek)(eek)(eek)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 8, 2014, 11:29am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
This is ultimately what will do for Hurst, that's about £10k less in the coffers than last week, you can get a lot of striker for £10000 a week.

A Chinese defender
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 8, 2014, 11:58am; Reply: 6
I went last night with my lad, Having witnessed the Southport and last nights game i don't think we will be going back in a hurry. :o
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 12:29pm; Reply: 7
Alternatively the board slash the budget next season to match whatever the attendance drops to. At the moment the budget is for a gate around 3500 but there is nothing to stop us setting one for 2000. We'd have to make people redundant and get lesser players. Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserves.
Posted by: carrot top, October 8, 2014, 12:38pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GrimRob
Alternatively the board slash the budget next season to match whatever the attendance drops to. At the moment the budget is for a gate around 3500 but there is nothing to stop us setting one for 2000. We'd have to make people redundant and get lesser players. Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserves.

Dont quite agree with that Rob. The budget in my eyes needs to be used effectively. Football is all about entertainment and 'Im afraid that we are not being entertained. It hurts fans when we are consistently poor and many people just do not wish to watch sub standard football as we are being served up with at the moment. I realise we are where we are but how low can we go. It is a worrying situation that I never thought I would have to witness in 50 yrs of watching the Mariners. I really want our fortunes to turn, but feel that the current regime cannot facilitate it. The result therefore is dwindling attendances.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 8, 2014, 12:54pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from carrot top
[/b]

Dont quite agree with that Rob. The budget in my eyes needs to be used effectively. Football is all about entertainment and 'Im afraid that we are not being entertained. It hurts fans when we are consistently poor and many people just do not wish to watch sub standard football as we are being served up with at the moment. I realise we are where we are but how low can we go. It is a worrying situation that I never thought I would have to witness in 50 yrs of watching the Mariners. I really want our fortunes to turn, but feel that the current regime cannot facilitate it. The result therefore is dwindling attendances.

Post has my full agreement, do you go to the pictures to watch a 90 minute boring film, could add in black and white to make it even more relevant, travelling a  round journey of over 80 miles? We may not always like the ending but we want entertainment whilst we are there and for the past ten months that has been sadly lacking.
Posted by: jock dock tower, October 8, 2014, 1:08pm; Reply: 10
I find it incredible, despite the team's poor showing so far this season that fans of the club are now openly talking of not going to watch them. It's when teams are at their lowest ebb that they really do need as much backing as possible. If you think that the manager isn't the right person to lead them that's fair enough, but don't take it out on your team ffs.
Posted by: oldun, October 8, 2014, 1:12pm; Reply: 11
I wish a certain individual sitting near me would stop coming to games, that would improve my enjoyment at BP
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 8, 2014, 1:18pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GrimRob

I would suggest that the club gets the fans it deserves, playing crap football in a crap league, what do you really expect?

Posted by: arryarryarry, October 8, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from oldun
I wish a certain individual sitting near me would stop coming to games, that would improve my enjoyment at BP

Well politely ask John Fenty to move then.

Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 1:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would suggest that the club gets the fans it deserves, playing crap football in a crap league, what do you really expect?

People make their choices. There are other teams in the town you can go and watch, one day someone may establish AFC Grimsby, who knows. If the demand is there people will watch football, if not they won't.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 1:37pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from carrot top
[/b]

We can go an awful, awful lot lower than we are now. In ten years time might might be wishing we were at the level of budget and support we are now.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 8, 2014, 1:41pm; Reply: 16
The fates of Stockport and Darlo are terrifying. Both similarish in terms of size, potential etc.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 8, 2014, 1:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob

We can go an awful, awful lot lower than we are now. In ten years time might might be wishing we were at the level of budget and support we are now.

And we will if we carry on with our most recent results. Football is part of the entertainment industry, and there's very little of that at BP at present. I guess the club lost 10k last night in a reduction in receipts which should surely be the message. New manager required, new strikers required or the new stadium will remain a figment  of someone's imagination.
Posted by: carrot top, October 8, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GrimRob

I suppose it is all about expectations. I expect us to be higher than we are now. I can't help but feel that way. I want to support my team and live with the highs and lows. It's just that there are no longer any highs. It feels like constantly being hit with a stick. Struggling to score against teams like Southport, Nuneaton and Altrincham is a very sad state of affairs. Supporters will not put up with it and vote with their feet if they can't see that the current regime are not doing enough to rectify the situation.

As a lifelong fan I would much rather be on here praising our team. Some drastic change is needed.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 8, 2014, 1:52pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from GrimRob

I think it's in everyone's interest to only make 1 person redundant
Posted by: Quagmire, October 8, 2014, 1:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GrimRob

So why do you continue to support the regime that has brought us to this level and continues to show that it is incapable of bringing any level of success to the club?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 8, 2014, 2:07pm; Reply: 21
If only footballers could be like pop stars,

They would still be playing in their 70's

Just think what team we could put out,

(wheelchair)(wheelchair)(wheelchair)
Posted by: forza ivano, October 8, 2014, 2:16pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete
If only footballers could be like pop stars,

They would still be playing in their 70's

Just think what team we could put out,

(wheelchair)(wheelchair)(wheelchair)

if we can turn the football league into walking football we might stand a good chance!
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 2:59pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Quagmire

So why do you continue to support the regime that has brought us to this level and continues to show that it is incapable of bringing any level of success to the club?

If by the regime you mean our majority shareholder, then I support him because nobody has ever presented a viable Plan B. The last two years have seen us improve, not as much as I or others would like, but I fear we are about to plunge down a further level.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 8, 2014, 3:13pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from oldun

Is it that gobshite Gary Glitter lookalike who sits in the Upper Findus? Does my f-ing nut in.
Posted by: ackomariner, October 8, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GrimRob

If by the regime you mean our majority shareholder, then I support him because nobody has ever presented a viable Plan B. The last two years have seen us improve, not as much as I or others would like, but I fear we are about to plunge down a further level.

Rob, so why do you keep telling everyone that well reach the playoffs or maybe hit the top spot, then you say you fear we might plunge to a level below....
Posted by: Grimal, October 8, 2014, 4:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from oldun

Could you please let us know his seat number or thereabouts Oldun, then we can avoid that area aswell. :) Oh sh!t,it might be me you are talking about.I could try a different deodorant,do you think that might help.:-/  Someone near me keeps having a drag on one of those "E"fags,they stink as bad as ordinary cigs.

Posted by: Grimal, October 8, 2014, 4:31pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from forza ivano

if we can turn the football league into walking football we might stand a good chance!

I play walking football twice a week down Bradley and I can honestly say there are one or two playing down there that would have given Altringham more problems than Town did last night.

Posted by: immariner, October 8, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 28
I'm with Rob and Jock on this. When you signed the psychological contract to be a Grimsby Town supporter did you sign it with the caveat that it only counts when things are going well? Did you f*ck. Smaller attendances means smaller budgets and the likelihood of us staying down here for longer/ceasing to exist grows larger. Any supporter of a lower league club who says they go to watch expecting to be entertained is either a fool or a liar. We go to watch in the hope of seeing our team win. Any mere glimpse of entertaining or attractive football is a rare bonus.

If you want to see this club improve, vote with your feet and turn up to BP.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 8, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from immariner
I'm with Rob and Jock on this. When you signed the psychological contract to be a Grimsby Town supporter did you sign it with the caveat that it only counts when things are going well? Did you f*ck. Smaller attendances means smaller budgets and the likelihood of us staying down here for longer/ceasing to exist grows larger. Any supporter of a lower league club who says they go to watch expecting to be entertained is either a fool or a liar. We go to watch in the hope of seeing our team win. Any mere glimpse of entertaining or attractive football is a rare bonus.

I agree with what you are saying,

BUT

Some supporters and they are supporters want to be entertained or at least see Town win,

When that does not happen on a regular basis they stay away,

They will return when things improve,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 8, 2014, 8:12pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from immariner

All fine and good in a rose-tinted world. In reality, it costs me £50 for me and my lad to watch a home game, then I come home, moan like shite, tap the odd comment on here and then listen to the missus tell me what she could have done better with the 50 quid. Sadly, she's right more often than not.

It's an entertainment industry, and if the entertainment isn't there then the floating fans will stay at home. If you get the product right, the punters will return.
Posted by: TAGG, October 8, 2014, 8:17pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from GrimRob

You think one hell of a lot of your self.
One day you will disappear up your own bottom if you haven't already got lost up Fentys first.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 8, 2014, 8:18pm; Reply: 32
The thing is though i have Town in my blood and want Town to win every game, some posters seem to think that if you don't want to go we are not true fans, i can't make a lot of games anyway due to working 3 weekends a month (sometimes 4)

For me it's not that we lost to Southport it's in the way we lost and it's becoming a very familiar pattern.
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 8, 2014, 8:21pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GrimRob

We need to look at the Gatesheed model, 1,200 and 2nd,  Halifax 1,600 and 3rd, Macclesfield are 3 points above us and in their last game they played Barnet (Top) in front of 1,200.  We have twice the support of these clubs and even potentially three to four times the support.

Our support isn't the fans fault it is dire football at BP, the lack of winning at BP, the lack of intelligence to break down the dregs of this festering barrel of crap at BP.  Our budget comes from BP not away games when we play the dog and duck, the players should be going all out at BP.

The fans backed the club to stay in the league but it was the players who let us down and it is the players and manager letting us down again, that's why the attendance is dropping, we haven't got what we have deserved for over 10 years.
Posted by: chaos33, October 8, 2014, 8:26pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Marinerz93

We need to look at the Gatesheed model, 1,200 and 2nd,  Halifax 1,600 and 3rd, Macclesfield are 3 points above us and in their last game they played Barnet (Top) in front of 1,200.  We have twice the support of these clubs and even potentially three to four times the support.

Our support isn't the fans fault it is dire football at BP, the lack of winning at BP, the lack of intelligence to break down the dregs of this festering barrel of crap at BP.  Our budget comes from BP not away games when we play the dog and duck, the players should be going all out at BP.

The fans backed the club to stay in the league but it was the players who let us down and it is the players and manager letting us down again, that's why the attendance is dropping, we haven't got what we have deserved for over 10 years.

F*cking-A.  Totally spot on.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 8, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Marinerz93

Good post Dave!
Posted by: rancido, October 8, 2014, 8:39pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from TAGG

You think one hell of a lot of your self.
One day you will disappear up your own bottom if you haven't already got lost up Fentys first.

I thought these kind of comments went with the demise of the Old Fishy but it appears not! It's a shame that posters can't stick to reasoned arguments without hurling insults at those who don't see things their way.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 8, 2014, 9:01pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Marinerz93

Great post.

Posted by: TAGG, October 8, 2014, 9:08pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from rancido

I thought these kind of comments went with the demise of the Old Fishy but it appears not! It's a shame that posters can't stick to reasoned arguments without hurling insults at those who don't see things their way.

I thought these type of comments went with the old fishy "Ultimately the town of Grimsby gets the team it deserve"
At least had a go at only one fan GrimRob has managed to have a go at every Town fan.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 8, 2014, 9:09pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from GrimRob

Eh?

The fans (up until last night in terms of numbers) have stayed loyal and our average attendances even in the Conference would not be out of place in League 2 or some in League 1.

Its the other way round isn't it - the people of Grimsby deserves a team to be in the League and the fans have not contributed in any way shape or form to our demise. Many clubs with fewer fans are higher in the pyramid than us.

Clubs that are well managed tend to do well overall, regardless of fan base, and those that are mismanaged (from the Boardroom I mean) stagnate.

Guess which category we fall into Rob?

Its not even as if we had one unlucky season and fell out of the League either is it? A couple of relegations and a near miss should have warned us!!

Its so obvious that years of decline are down to our Board. I have had a lot of sympathy for all the managers weve had in the last 10 years as they have done the best they can, but the Club is in a stranglehold of people (one in particular) that has the Midas touch in reverse. We are in Non League because we deserve to be through years of mistakes, dithering and complacency while most of the football world have overtaken us.

Take the scales from your eyes Rob, unless something changes from the very top, nothing will fundamentally change.

As an aside I thought we played very well last night ( with regard to the level we are playing at) but we are 2 proper strikers short of a decent team. If a "competitive budget" isn't attracting them, then its not "competitive" enough is it?    
Posted by: LH, October 8, 2014, 9:12pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from gtfc98

Is it that gobshite Gary Glitter lookalike who sits in the Upper Findus? Does my f-ing nut in.

I know the guy you mean. Looks like Hans Moleman off The Simpsons.
Posted by: fishkeeper, October 8, 2014, 9:19pm; Reply: 41

Eh?

The fans (up until last night in terms of numbers) have stayed loyal and our average attendances even in the Conference would not be out of place in League 2 or some in League 1.

Its the other way round isn't it - the people of Grimsby deserves a team to be in the League and the fans have not contributed in any way shape or form to our demise. Many clubs with fewer fans are higher in the pyramid than us.

Clubs that are well managed tend to do well overall, regardless of fan base, and those that are mismanaged (from the Boardroom I mean) stagnate.

Its not even as if we had one unlucky season and fell out of the League either is it? A couple of relegations and a near miss should have warned us!!

Its so obvious that years of decline are down to our Board. I have had a lot of sympathy for all the managers weve had in the last 10 years as they have done the best they can, but the Club is in a stranglehold of people (one in particular) that has the Midas touch in reverse. We are in Non League because we deserve to be through years of mistakes, dithering and complacency while most of the football world have overtaken us.

Take the scales from your eyes Rob, unless something changes from the very top, nothing will fundamentally change.

As an aside I thought we played very well last night ( with regard to the level we are playing at) but we are 2 proper strikers short of a decent team. If a "competitive budget" isn't attracting them, then its not "competitive" enough is it?    

great reply(clap2)
Posted by: fishkeeper, October 8, 2014, 9:23pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from LH

I know the guy you mean. Looks like Hans Moleman off The Simpsons.

does he sit in the 60`s half way up(Confused)
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 11:19pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Marinerz93

Good point but the most important factor of all is money. You will always find teams in this division who haven't got much money but are having a good season. But they'll never sustain it for more than the odd season or two. If the attendance drops and our income falls then it will make it a lot harder. If we go to the model of clubs like the ones you mention then we'll have the odd good season interspersed by mainly poor ones, and the odd relegation fight,
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 11:30pm; Reply: 44

Eh?

Rubbish I am afraid. Given that we are in this division it is incredibly hard to get out, it doesn't matter how much money we have and who is chairman and manager, it's always going to be very very hard. Too many people underestimate how hard it is and expect us to storm the league like Rangers in Scottish League Two playing Total Football along the way and sweeping aside all these minnows. It's Fantasy Football I am afraid.

If there's a change at the top as a few wish, and there's a complete change of ownership then we'll be heading down the league not up because the only real hope we have of getting up is a competitive budget that comes with the owner we have now or someone with a comparable purse. Changing the manager might help, yes it might, but I don't think our supporters have the patience to see it through for the four or five seasons we need to give someone to get promoted. Within a few months the accusations will start flying again because we are expecting to fly to the moon.

Basically though I think we are shafted. I cannot see a solution. Sorry.
Posted by: chaos33, October 8, 2014, 11:32pm; Reply: 45
Rob, can you please explain how Halifax and Gateshead fit into that theory? Even Woking? What were Barnet's crowds like last season, and what are they getting through the turnstiles this year?
Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 11:34pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from chaos33
Rob, can you please explain how Halifax and Gateshead fit into that theory? Even Woking? What were Barnet's crowds like last season, and what are they getting through the turnstiles this year?

In simple words they are One Season Wonders. They'll have a year or two near the top then sink into the mire, Barnet obviously have a big catchment area, they are different to us,
Posted by: Quagmire, October 8, 2014, 11:40pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from GrimRob

If by the regime you mean our majority shareholder, then I support him because nobody has ever presented a viable Plan B.

Yes, I do mean the clubs majority shareholder.  Mike Parker is proof of someone interested in putting money into the club (in the form of shares not loans I might add) who nobody had heard of until it was announced that he was joining the board.  

Just because someone hasn't had 'Plan B' splashed all over the GT doesn't mean there isn't a Plan B out there.  I'm absolutely certain that if Fenty was to walk away from the club that there are individuals out there who would come forward to drive the club onwards.

Quoted from GrimRob

The last two years have seen us improve

Where is the improvement? We're still a non-league side, in arguably a worse position than when we first entered this division, having racked up more debt, where is there any improvement?

Quoted from GrimRob

I fear we are about to plunge down a further level.

So you not only have zero confidence in our majority shareholder to turn the club around but also feel that he will drag us even further down the football pyramid?

Whilst John Fenty remains at the club our decline will continue, it's as simple as that.

Cod Almighty nailed it today:

"People often ask me what happened to Grimsby and why we're where we are. And I think I'm right in saying that every Town fan has the same stock response.

I've said this before, and by 'eck I'll say it again; if this wasn't a football club but a business in another discipline where by the board were answerable to the shareholders, whoever was in charge when this ship started sinking would not be in charge. However, this ship has sunk so badly that we're so firmly nestled in the bed that nobody wants to touch us.

Yeah, we make the odd movement here and there – but nothing big enough to make a difference. This may sound like some pathetic Russell Brand speech to rally the troops, but devoid of any context, but something needs to happen and if it doesn't happen soon, we'll have no troops. Just look at last night's attendence. Ouch.

Scott Neilson is answerable to Paul Hurst, Paul Hurst is answerable to the board of directors. At the moment, that's where it ends.

Someone, soon, needs to accept responsibility for what is happening to the club – our club – because if this keeps going on for much longer, there might not be a club."

Source: http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5154

Posted by: GrimRob, October 8, 2014, 11:47pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Quagmire

So you not only have zero confidence in our majority shareholder to turn the club around but also feel that he will drag us even further down the football pyramid?

I should explain myself when I said that I fear we'll sink lower. It's not that I don't have faith in the board to turn things around but to do so requires the fans to keep faith in the board over a long period. If the fans lose faith in the board then either the board will pull the plug citing lack of interest or they will lower the budget to such an extent that we'll sink lower because we don't have the money to mount a challenge on the league.

Maybe a new messiah will emerge or we'll get lucky and assemble a squad for peanuts in the future which hit the jackpot in one magical season but I am not banking on it,
Posted by: timmo, October 9, 2014, 12:29am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Quagmire

nobody wants to touch

I believe (not certain but believable) people have wanted to take over the club. Buy JF out and or work along side. JF hasn't played ball and deals have broken down. Like I say this is just what I've heard.

I'm sure you are more clued up on the situation between JF and mike Parker but wasn't there a fall out and Mr Parker handed x amount of his shares to the supporters trust?

In my eyes this club needs a complete clean out. Otherwise we will be left standing and before long forgotten and even fold.

We are a huge club with great history. People always talk to me about memories of gtfc the other week a Newcastle fan said about when they won the league here and said it was his greatest memory and that it's a shame what's happened to us.

We need to save this great club. JF I thank you for what you've done but please swallow your pride and do what's best for this club.

Timmo
UTM
Posted by: chaos33, October 9, 2014, 6:24am; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob

In simple words they are One Season Wonders. They'll have a year or two near the top then sink into the mire, Barnet obviously have a big catchment area, they are different to us,

Oh, a year or two now. Rob, you've undermined your own argument in your answer. Halifax appear to be having 2 consecutive good seasons. That's two in two years. One season wonders don't do that by definition. Gateshead too have been consistent contenders. I can't see what Barnet's catchment area has to do with your stance to be honest - you were talking about fans putting money into the club through the turnstiles. Barnet's crowds are not as good as ours.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 9, 2014, 6:47am; Reply: 51
Gateshead are massively bankrolled like us. I imagine our budgets are similar. Like halifax they also have a geographical advantage in that they are close to big cities.

Most importantly though those two teams have excellent non league managers, unlike us.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 6:55am; Reply: 52
Quoted from GrimRob

I should explain myself when I said that I fear we'll sink lower. It's not that I don't have faith in the board to turn things around but to do so requires the fans to keep faith in the board over a long period. If the fans lose faith in the board then either the board will pull the plug citing lack of interest or they will lower the budget to such an extent that we'll sink lower because we don't have the money to mount a challenge on the league.

Maybe a new messiah will emerge or we'll get lucky and assemble a squad for peanuts in the future which hit the jackpot in one magical season but I am not banking on it,

How long is a long period? Hasn't he had long enough? When will the tide turn?

More questions than answers, as usual.

Posted by: GrimRob, October 9, 2014, 9:33am; Reply: 53
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How long is a long period? Hasn't he had long enough? When will the tide turn?

More questions than answers, as usual.

Ten years. I think the tide already has turned, we've been in the play-offs for the last two years. It might take as ten or even fifteen attempts to get promoted, some of those years we might not even reach the play-offs but it's a long term project, there's no avoiding it. There is no simple fix, other than giving up then you don't have to worry about it.
Posted by: cannylad68, October 9, 2014, 10:22am; Reply: 54
Quoted from GrimRob

Rob,
       Why is the size of the budget always quoted in these discussions?
       The size of the budget doesn't guarantee anything.
       I'm sure that the budget was hardly touched when all the local lads were in the first team. Using the budget wisely is what matters.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:51am